Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I had to use Brigadier to do this (https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases) But it doesn't look like it's been updated in a while.. your mileage may vary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Weird. I rebooted and touchbar works now. The boot camp assistant software is still missing but iirc I only ever saw it used to update the trackpad firmware so that’s fine I guess.

Only issue is now rebooting directly goes into Windows instead of MacOS.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Weird. I rebooted and touchbar works now. The boot camp assistant software is still missing but iirc I only ever saw it used to update the trackpad firmware so that’s fine I guess.

Only issue is now rebooting directly goes into Windows instead of MacOS.

I don’t have a bootcampable computer anymore but you can reinstall the tools with the bootcamp assistant app. Action > Download Windows Support Sortware https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252880506

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I need to edit some text pdf files. What’s the best application do use for this? I don’t mind spending some money on something that will work well.

Basically it’s a scanned word document that’s been lost and all we have is a printed copy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I need to edit some text pdf files. What’s the best application do use for this? I don’t mind spending some money on something that will work well.

Basically it’s a scanned word document that’s been lost and all we have is a printed copy.

Does it work in Word for you*?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/edit-a-pdf-b2d1d729-6b79-499a-bcdb-233379c2f63a

*May need 365 for this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks I’ll try this in office 365 first and go from there. I legit only need to change one word lol

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Is there any way to never allow my airpods pro to connect to my m1 air? Deleting them from the Bluetooth connections menu deletes them from all of my mac devices which doesn't help

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

Is there any way to never allow my airpods pro to connect to my m1 air? Deleting them from the Bluetooth connections menu deletes them from all of my mac devices which doesn't help

found this thing, seems like you have to connect them once, then set this setting, then disconnect them:

https://www.howtogeek.com/715923/how-to-stop-airpods-from-automatically-connecting-to-a-mac/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

Go into the accounts screen and then press on the account you want to change and then account on that screen and then advanced. It's definitely on iOS

I found it! drat that's buried. This makes things a lot better for my over-abundance of e-mail accounts I use - thanks!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Hello Mac knowers. I have a MacBook Air work laptop that has Outlook as part of Office 365 and whatnot. Overnight, all email attachments have disappeared and can't be seen. Making more space did nothing. But the Web app and 'Legacy' Outlook mode has the attachments just fine.

Outlook options has zero settings that fiddle with attachments as far as I can see? Like there's nothing to alter attachment preview settings etc. Is anyone familiar with this issue?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NGL just stick with legacy mode.

Outlook is kinda a mess.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jeza posted:

Hello Mac knowers. I have a MacBook Air work laptop that has Outlook as part of Office 365 and whatnot. Overnight, all email attachments have disappeared and can't be seen. Making more space did nothing. But the Web app and 'Legacy' Outlook mode has the attachments just fine.

Outlook options has zero settings that fiddle with attachments as far as I can see? Like there's nothing to alter attachment preview settings etc. Is anyone familiar with this issue?

the Mac outlook client is weird and I have trouble finding attachments sometimes because they only show up in the original email they were attached to and not the whole “thread” so sometimes I have to dive into a thread and find the original email in order to dig them out

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I can't use attachments at all in the new Outlook. I'm sticking with Legacy Mode.

My music (from the Music app) shuts off when I'm using Bluetooth speakers and a message comes in. Any idea what's going on?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
FYI: my previous query about my wallpaper settings not persisting were alleviated when I disabled Top Notch. Apparently it was favoring darker wallpapers that would allow the notch to “blend” into the background & was interrupting the Random wallpaper setting.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
DISCLAIMER: This post is about iOS, not macOS, but I couldn't find an iOS thread. If there is one, I'll post there instead.

Since the update to 16.0 on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, Siri within CarPlay is really starting to frustrate me and I'm not sure if it's user error or what. It's been happening since the full release of 16.0 and has continued with each of the patch releases.

Situation: When I'm in my car, I press the handsfree button and will say something like "message $WIFE". Siri will respond with "What do you want to say to $WIFE?"

Problem 1: The sound/chime-thing that CarPlay uses to say that Siri is done talking and ready to listen to my input is a much softer sound and lower volume than all previous versions of iOS (15.x and earlier) and so it's incredibly hard to hear while driving.

Problem 2: (Which ties into #1) It seems like it takes maybe 0.5-1s longer than it used to take to be ready to listen to me, so if I can't hear the little chime sound and just try to guess when it's ready, Siri ends up only hearing a portion of what I'm saying.

I've looked through the settings and can't find anything like "Turn the motherfucking chime sound volume down" so I don't think it's anything I did, but maybe there's a hidden feature that someone knows about that can help me here? I use handsfree a lot to be safe if I need to send a quick message or change the song or whatever but this poo poo has got me to the point where I'm going to start physically picking up my phone again if I can't figure it out.

pls halp

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012380&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Here is the iPhone thread.

What car is it? My 2017 accord has pretty much given up on CarPlay at this point and Google work shows that many many many people with my car have the issue with no resolution

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

nexxai posted:

DISCLAIMER: This post is about iOS, not macOS, but I couldn't find an iOS thread. If there is one, I'll post there instead.

Since the update to 16.0 on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, Siri within CarPlay is really starting to frustrate me and I'm not sure if it's user error or what. It's been happening since the full release of 16.0 and has continued with each of the patch releases.

Situation: When I'm in my car, I press the handsfree button and will say something like "message $WIFE". Siri will respond with "What do you want to say to $WIFE?"

Problem 1: The sound/chime-thing that CarPlay uses to say that Siri is done talking and ready to listen to my input is a much softer sound and lower volume than all previous versions of iOS (15.x and earlier) and so it's incredibly hard to hear while driving.

Problem 2: (Which ties into #1) It seems like it takes maybe 0.5-1s longer than it used to take to be ready to listen to me, so if I can't hear the little chime sound and just try to guess when it's ready, Siri ends up only hearing a portion of what I'm saying.

I've looked through the settings and can't find anything like "Turn the motherfucking chime sound volume down" so I don't think it's anything I did, but maybe there's a hidden feature that someone knows about that can help me here? I use handsfree a lot to be safe if I need to send a quick message or change the song or whatever but this poo poo has got me to the point where I'm going to start physically picking up my phone again if I can't figure it out.

pls halp

iPhone thread is over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012380&perpage=40&noseen=1

I don’t know where that chime is but it may be a car setting rather than a phone setting. Don’t know how to troubleshoot it otherwise but you could try a backup/restore.

For a workaround: Have you tried just using hey siri instead? Like “hey siri text my wife they don’t have any yak milk left will ox do” will skip the whole button press-wait-chime-speak thing.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

poo poo, I'm sorry; I missed that. Was thinking "iOS" rather than "iPhone". Will post in there.

MarcusSA posted:

What car is it? My 2017 accord has pretty much given up on CarPlay at this point and Google work shows that many many many people with my car have the issue with no resolution
It's a 2019 Subaru WRX.

tuyop posted:

I don’t know where that chime is but it may be a car setting rather than a phone setting. Don’t know how to troubleshoot it otherwise but you could try a backup/restore.

For a workaround: Have you tried just using hey siri instead? Like “hey siri text my wife they don’t have any yak milk left will ox do” will skip the whole button press-wait-chime-speak thing.
I've tried the "hey siri" thing but that only seems to work when the phone is out of my pocket, and I prefer to keep it in my pocket so I don't get distracted by it. Might not have a choice though.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
On my Honda, I’ve noticed that the iOS CarPlay audio, as in the Siri prompt noise, any quick notifications, have a different volume setting than the regular audio like your CarPlay music audio, you may have accidentally set that volume super low without realizing it if you were fiddling with the volume right when a prompt went off. Try adjusting your car volume when the prompt is live and see if it’s different than your normal stereo CarPlay volume. On my car it’s actually got a different visible scale on my dash, 1-12 vs 1-20 or whatever the normal range is.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 17, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tayter Swift posted:

My music (from the Music app) shuts off when I'm using Bluetooth speakers and a message comes in. Any idea what's going on?

Something is sending an alert over the Bluetooth handsfree profile.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MarcusSA posted:

NGL just stick with legacy mode.

Outlook is kinda a mess.

Indeed it is. The hivemind in Redmond had deemed the Mac and iOS versions of Oulook are to be deprecated as useful programs for macOS and iOS,
so the products they make become more difficult to use over time to undermine the success of Apple's products.

It was not always that way, but it is now. When a company decides hiding the Sent mailbox is a good idea by default,
well, all is lost and it's time to find another email program if you can.

Preferably one not driven by evil geniuses bent on profit motives.

Or at least that's one way to look at it, I'm sure there are other, kinder explanations. See what fits for you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Microsoft is a poo poo company that’s been making all of its products worse for years and eventually ruins any good product it either accidentally creates (windows phone) or manages to get its hands on (outlook for iOS). It’s important to remember that outlook for iOS is not an offshoot of Microsoft outlook; it was originally a third party email app that Microsoft bought and rebranded before apparently now slowly destroying it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

nexxai posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry; I missed that. Was thinking "iOS" rather than "iPhone". Will post in there.

There’s also a lower traffic iOS apps thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3668654

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The Lord Bude posted:

Microsoft is a poo poo company that’s been making all of its products worse for years and eventually ruins any good product it either accidentally creates (windows phone) or manages to get its hands on (outlook for iOS). It’s important to remember that outlook for iOS is not an offshoot of Microsoft outlook; it was originally a third party email app that Microsoft bought and rebranded before apparently now slowly destroying it.

Thank you, that's usually the way it goes for most large corporations. They buy the excellent products of small companies and even shareware authors, then those apps get monkey-hosed by the 800-pound gorillas in the tech world. Before that happens, they are often very elegant and well-written apps written by coders how actually give a poo poo about putting out good products.

Anton Chigurh fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 19, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol that it's 2022 and Microsoft is still making spite apps for the Mac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

On top of everything else, to my knowledge, Microsoft still writes a lot of its apps using their own glitchy pseudocode interpreter, which resulted in older versions of Excel on Mac running like molasses in Antarctica, especially with spreadsheets full of matrix / chain calculations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

Something is sending an alert over the Bluetooth handsfree profile.

Oh you know what, my iPad is connected to the speaker as well. Hm, wonder if there's a way to disable it there without disabling it entirely. Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Weird bug that I thought was only in iTunes on Windows. In Music.app if I’m playing a song from an album on Apple Music and then add it to the library either with the … menu or the little plus button in the list, it stops playback and skips the song after adding it. This sucks. Does anyone else have this issue?

Edit: Holy poo poo it does this even if you add the song to a playlist or library on another device!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 18, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

tuyop posted:

Weird bug that I thought was only in iTunes on Windows. In Music.app if I’m playing a song from an album on Apple Music and then add it to the library either with the … menu or the little plus button in the list, it stops playback and skips the song after adding it. This sucks. Does anyone else have this issue?

Edit: Holy poo poo it does this even if you add the song to a playlist or library on another device!

Yep its' been this way for loving ages and it's stupid. Didn't know it "synced" this bug when doing it from a diff device though, that's new to me lol

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Anyone on the Ventura beta want to comment on how it's looking heading into release on Monday?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

101 posted:

Anyone on the Ventura beta want to comment on how it's looking heading into release on Monday?

Yes, thankyoumoreplease!

I'd like to know this too if anyone has tested the betas.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Binary Badger posted:

On top of everything else, to my knowledge, Microsoft still writes a lot of its apps using their own glitchy pseudocode interpreter, which resulted in older versions of Excel on Mac running like molasses in Antarctica, especially with spreadsheets full of matrix / chain calculations.

If I recall, MS Office for Mac 1998 was the first version to escape that same type of cross platform coding nonsense that is so hard to make work well. Even David Pogue liked it and said it was good, a guy well-known for being sarcastically critical (and funny) for his reviews of Mac apps... back when they were still called "programs" by many people and the Macworld Expos still existed every year in January.

As I continue to stroke my graying beard and smoke my pipe of peace, I recall MS Office 6.0x was a nightmare hellstew of bugs and apathy. I remember fondly how much I'd liked Word 5.1a before it, because the flying monkeys in Redmond seemed to finally "get" Macs and how to make a good office suite for them.

Then of course the Wicked Witch of the DOJ and its decade-long antitrust lawsuit melted into a thick puddle of Bush Redux West Texas black oil.

That stirred the hellstew pot once more for the psuedocoding flying monkeys of Redmond. They were free to type and scream their random madness into computers again when landing to take breaks from flinging their poo poo at each other most of the day. The evils of Stack Ranking had been borne from Mordor, with the all-seeing eye of Steve Ballmer gazing down upon his minions, pitting those monkeys against each other once again...

At least that's the way I remember it, the fog of war is often aided by the the pipe of peace, so my memories have faded with time

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

101 posted:

It's fine and there isn't that much different from Monterey for day to day stuff outside of System Preferences changing (the search bar is your best friend in the new System Settings).

The new window switcher works well (although it doesn't really mesh with how I do window management so I probably won't use it) but the other thing that people will notice is that it's very pushy about software that installs stuff that either runs in the background or starts at login.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mercurius posted:

It's fine and there isn't that much different from Monterey for day to day stuff outside of System Preferences changing (the search bar is your best friend in the new System Settings).

The new window switcher works well (although it doesn't really mesh with how I do window management so I probably won't use it) but the other thing that people will notice is that it's very pushy about software that installs stuff that either runs in the background or starts at login.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited to finally be able to see all the apps that start at login, regardless of which method the dev uses.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Has anyone noticed Google Maps going to poo poo over the past two weeks or so in Safari? Ran fine before that, now it doesn't scroll or smooth well and street view is pixelated / pans slower than hell.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Do any macOS text editors have that thing notepad++ does where it just saves everything when you close it and restores when you open it (without needing to save to individual files).

I do a lot of text saving/editing and I've been using a windows VM for a client and I forgot how much I love that feature in n++.

I have a sublime text license but I was never sure if that was a plugin or something on it.

E: ignore me. It's called hot exit in sublime text.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 21, 2022

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You’ve crossed out your post already, but BBedit has been saving state for… more than a decade, probably.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
VS Code does it, I really rely on a bunch of unsaved documents getting saved.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Perplx posted:

VS Code does it, I really rely on a bunch of unsaved documents getting saved.

Yeah, my problem is its a bit heavy duty for just text snippets.

Sublime Text is nice and lightweight on resources. The funny thing is if you hit the red dot on the window it asks you to save but CMD+Q and it does the thing. So weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, my problem is its a bit heavy duty for just text snippets.

Not sure if this covers what you want, but I've been using Tot since it came out recently. Perfect for cases when it's just something dumb and ephemeral that I only need to keep for a short while. It's made by Iconfactory, so it's got good pedigree behind it.

Just sat in my menubar, suiting my needs.