Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I gotta say, irrespective of what's going on in the comic, I don't envy Tom the existential horror of bringing a 15+ year-long project to a close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Skippy McPants posted:

I gotta say, irrespective of what's going on in the comic, I don't envy Tom the existential horror of bringing a 15+ year-long project to a close.

i am feeling a vague sense of panic just thinking about it

but jeeze it's like the last season of continuum where they shoved 4 seasons worth of plot into a 6-episode miniseries

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I get the sense from Tom's message that he's probably getting a lot of heat lately. It must be an immense amount of pressure and dread for him, knowing that this work is coming to a close.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

there is still a ways to, though

Regardless of how I feel about the current place the comic has gone, I still think it was overall an interesting, worthwhile read. I don't hate or regret the dead tree versions sitting on my shelf or my long involvement in the community here. I wish Tom the best in wrapping things up and bringing things to a close and I hope he finds something he enjoys doing next when it's all done.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 12, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

There Bias Two posted:

I get the sense from Tom's message that he's probably getting a lot of heat lately. It must be an immense amount of pressure and dread for him, knowing that this work is coming to a close.

I dunno. Honestly, whenever I've looked at the comments/forums/Twitter, they've seemed relatively positive. This is definitely the most negative place for discussion that I've seen and I doubt he reads this thread anymore. Maybe he's losing patrons?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I get the sense from Tom's message that he's probably getting a lot of heat lately.

It seemed like a pretty standard statement that you'd expect from someone getting close to finishing a 15 year long passion project to me. There's a lot of emotions involved in that by itself without counting anything else. And I'm not sure if Tom knows or cares that a lot of folks were turned off from the comic. The only thing I guess you can say for sure is that it's really odd that his last retrospective before he stopped was for the chapter right before Mind cage. But that's not enough to say this or that is a response to anything really.

Besides, I think most of the people who would criticize the Lana/Loup stuff were already turned away from the comic by the Tony chapters and the alleyway scene with the elves. That was some time ago, so it's probably not likely he's getting more criticism now than he was already getting before even if he was in places where he could see it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 12, 2022

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if you catch yourself analyzing anything about that message, stop.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Patware posted:

if you catch yourself analyzing anything about that message, stop.
Yeah you guys are being weird and this is me taking.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I've been reading this comic before I started undergrad. It's strange to imagine a world without it.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
If it sounds weird or stilted it's because it's got that generic marketing-type careful positivity sound to it, the one that is trying to convey genuine sincerity, but not so much intimacy that it encourages inappropriate parasocial bonds from the readers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Will be happy when it is over.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
ive cracked it

its author comments about the comic

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

:tinfoil:

Kesper North posted:

i am feeling a vague sense of panic just thinking about it

but jeeze it's like the last season of continuum where they shoved 4 seasons worth of plot into a 6-episode miniseries

I get a GoT kind of vibe. But, I also think ending any kind of long media is hard and tends to suck anyway. Origins are so much easier to do and more fun.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

lmao

Thank you for actually taking my advice and tremendously improving your shitposting

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

i did the entire snorting laugh thing, 10/10, not too soon

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:amen:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

:vince: :perfect:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Oh poo poo what if we get more City Face

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ugh worst Tea ever this is a joke

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I feel oddly hyped for the filler

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

:captainpop:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I know this comes up every time, but I'm always oddly intrigued by the slow progression of Tom/Tea into post-apocalyptic hell over the years.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol the plane crash is pretty on the nose lmao

:eyepop: :ullerrm: :eyepop:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Podima posted:

I know this comes up every time, but I'm always oddly intrigued by the slow progression of Tom/Tea into post-apocalyptic hell over the years.
I wish there were more during the apocalypse comics. If Tom followed up/started side producing an apocalyptic comic I'd read.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

If the next project happens to be Tea-san trying to survive the apocalypse while keeping tabs on a comic, I'd definitely read it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's such a well drawn page.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
...it's been so long I legitimately forgot the name "Tea-san". That's...wow. How long has it ACTUALLY been since we last saw Tea?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah, this page has beautiful lighting.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Faust IX posted:

...it's been so long I legitimately forgot the name "Tea-san". That's...wow. How long has it ACTUALLY been since we last saw Tea?
Seems every ~2 years in October we get a break splash page

2020 https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2366
2018 https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2053
2016 https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1742

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
With 3 pages a week and 50-ish weeks in a year, that's about 150 pages per year. Each volume is roughly 300 pages, so 2 years to make each one.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1580951132045684736

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Podima posted:

thats just current day britain

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A big flaming stink posted:

thats just current day britain
Tom just taking pictures outside his house for the interstitials.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Splicer posted:

Tom just taking pictures outside his house for the interstitials.

Didn't Tom move to America? Or did I completely imagine that? In my mind he moved to America and married some American webcomic girl but I could 100% be Mandela Effecting that

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pik_d posted:

Didn't Tom move to America? Or did I completely imagine that? In my mind he moved to America and married some American webcomic girl but I could 100% be Mandela Effecting that
He did, but my point still stands.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
england is contagious

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
You can pinpoint the time he moved to America because characters start saying mom rather than mum completely inexplicably.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i haven't looked in this thread in years but i just wanted to say i loved the japes and gaffes in today's comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

kidcoelacanth posted:

i haven't looked in this thread in years but i just wanted to say i loved the japes and gaffes in today's comic

xbox hueg