Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

please stop, the jpg is already dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Emzedoh posted:

Going to be honest, I think at least some of the stereotypical things I did as a kid I only did because I saw it on TV or something and felt obligated somehow.
:geno::hf::geno:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think he takes issue with the mythologizing some adults or media create around childlike imagination and says he doesn't recognize himself in it and remembers it being all pretty mundane. That's not hating on the other kids. That's saying the way the total immersion is represented and normalized in Calvin and Hobbes or whatever is so over the top it feels alienating to him. Made him categorize himself as a kid with no imagination to this day. Which, like, if that's his experience then, I guess, ok? And the question isn't even why the trope shows up in children's media, but why some adults talking among themselves insist on romanticizing it to the degree they do. I can imagine thinking that is a bit weird when it happens and it being a personal bugbear. I don't think there's really any intent to invalidate anyone else's experience.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shaking lemur butt posted:

I'm not even sure if his point is that he as a kid wasn't imaginative, or that kids in general aren't that imaginative.

His point from the first comic was that that kids for the most part aren't "creative", but they are "imaginative" - the stuff they "make up" is just sourced from other things. (This is of course how all creativity works, but kids mostly don't have the wealth of experience to combine ideas into something more than/different from the sum of its parts)

His point from the most recent comic he feels like, as a kid, he wasn't imaginative either, or at least not in the way that media was expecting him to be. His fantasies weren't fully immersive, and he enjoyed activities for the sake of them, not because he was pretending to be something else. It's fairly self deprecating, as the last panel shows.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCeeTfsm8bk

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think he takes issue with the mythologizing some adults or media create around childlike imagination and says he doesn't recognize himself in it and remembers it being all pretty mundane. That's not hating on the other kids. That's saying the way the total immersion is represented and normalized in Calvin and Hobbes or whatever is so over the top it feels alienating to him. Made him categorize himself as a kid with no imagination to this day. Which, like, if that's his experience then, I guess, ok? And the question isn't even why the trope shows up in children's media, but why some adults talking among themselves insist on romanticizing it to the degree they do. I can imagine thinking that is a bit weird when it happens and it being a personal bugbear. I don't think there's really any intent to invalidate anyone else's experience.

Yeah this is my impression as well.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Yeah, my read of the comic was pretty much the same as Flipperwaldt's - that there's a pervasive concept of the power of children's imagination in popular culture that Boulet finds unpleasant or even harmful because it misrepresents how most kids use imagination and can lead to kids being envious of fictional characters who have this supposedly-childlike power of imagination that actually doesn't exist (at least in Boulet's personal experience). I can definitely relate to it - I played a lot of make-believe as a kid but nevertheless felt that I didn't have as much imagination as... a hypothetical properly-imaginative kid that apparently existed somewhere, if Calvin & Hobbes was to be believed (although with Calvin I more envied the idea of "Calvin & Hobbes find endless fun activities to do in nature and are never bored", which isn't quite the same but I'd say adjacent to the imagination topic?)

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Showdown 14
Showdown 15
Showdown 16
Showdown 17
Showdown 18

Showdown 19

Showdown 20

:owned:

There's a lot to unpack here :allears:

Talking character deaths: 54 (+6 snoutelves, +1 witch)
Deaths altogether: 95+ (+7)
Scepter of Deaths: 19+ (+2 Ivar)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hempuli posted:

Showdown 20

God so satisfying

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yess... YESSS

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get YOINKED

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Hempuli posted:

Showdown 20

I thought it was going to be a live grenade or bomb.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hempuli posted:

Talking character deaths: 54 (+6 snoutelves, +1 witch)

I wonder how far back Thorsby was planning this end for the snatcher witch. It’s deeply satisfying

Stand Still. Stay Silent

Don’t grab the Monopoly, Emil, it’s a trap!

God I hate when they’re fast

Gross

Acid vomit, great. Explains this chapter’s palette, lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Spitter!

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Hempuli posted:

Showdown 20

Now that's adventure-game thinking

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The most cathartic death in all of Thorsby's works! I love that solution to the puzzle so much.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't understand how Audrey's plan is working. They're treating the guy like he's reading minds instead of getting accurate readings of the future.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

rodbeard posted:

I don't understand how Audrey's plan is working. They're treating the guy like he's reading minds instead of getting accurate readings of the future.
It's not accurate readings of the future it's feedback from simulations that we already know aren't 100% accurate. Note that Audrey is pulling things out of the hat after he speaks, meaning butterfly effect yada yada

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fundamentally, they made a whole bunch of plans and are using the hat to switch them up on the fly every time they hear one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:hmmyes:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

rodbeard posted:

1. The ambassador touches the scepter of death
2. In the simulated universe, Audrey draws a plan from the hat and uses it to kill the snoutelves
3. The Ambassador either kills himself or is killed, sending the vision back to the real Ambassador
4. The real Ambassador tells the snoutelves what Audrey did in the vision
5. Audrey draws a different plan from the hat and does that instead

It seems like if everything is the same Audrey should draw the same plan from the hat each time, so what really changes things is hearing the Ambassador announce her plan and deciding to do something different, with the hat and prewritten plans just a way to quickly change plans on the fly.

(As an aside, it's very impressive that even in this situation "lie and say you have a contagious disease" is apparently a successful plan! Audrey is very good at murder)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The thing about the scepter of death is that once someone understands how the scepter works then the scepter becomes pretty useless for its intended purpose.

Suppose for example that in Lyndon's vision he was captured and turned into a tree. Back in the present, Lyndon gets a vision of him being a tree and getting struck by lightning many centuries from now. The Ambassador catches him and interrogates him about what the scepter showed him, just like he did in the scepter future. Lyndon tells him the vision, thinking that his death is far in the future and probably not set in stone. The Ambassador immediately crossbows Lyndon in the face, contrary to the vision in the scepter, because his actions in the vision were informed by the realization that he was in a simulation.

To be honest the scepter seems pretty bad as a method of predicting future deaths since the knowledge it grants will change the course of the future pretty quickly. It's only really useful for telling you if someone is immediately going to kill you, and again, if someone is aware that you're using the scepter then it loses its predictive value entirely.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

The scepter is great for dungeon crawling at least, as you can avoid fatal traps and ambushes easily.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

the holy poopacy posted:

To be honest the scepter seems pretty bad as a method of predicting future deaths since the knowledge it grants will change the course of the future pretty quickly. It's only really useful for telling you if someone is immediately going to kill you, and again, if someone is aware that you're using the scepter then it loses its predictive value entirely.
It also lets you know who you can't trust - if you see, for instance, your vice president killing you, you don't need to know the time or the full circumstances to know that they are willing to kill you and so you should get rid of them first.

...unfortunately it only works in that one direction

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It also lets you know who you can't trust - if you see, for instance, your vice president killing you, you don't need to know the time or the full circumstances to know that they are willing to kill you and so you should get rid of them first.

...unfortunately it only works in that one direction

But what if the Vice President was truly loyal, and only killed you because the scepter of death showed him you killing him??

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

The scepter is great for dungeon crawling at least, as you can avoid fatal traps and ambushes easily.

"This doorway looks dangerous, can I safely go through it?" *taps scepter*

In the scepter universe, the scepter tells me nothing! The scepter doesn't come with a user manual so, like Lyndon, I assume that it's just broken. Now I am uncertain of my plan since I have no way of determining if the scary looking doorway is safe, so I decide to just go a different way. I comb through the rest of the dungeon and grab what treasure I can, then retire from adventuring and die fat and rich in my bed many decades later.

In the real world, I see that I went on to live a long successful life after the dungeon crawl and confidently enter the door to get instantly disintegrated by an orb of annihilation because the DM is a dick

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Snake Maze posted:

But what if the Vice President was truly loyal, and only killed you because the scepter of death showed him you killing him??

Maybe they were posessed by an evil demon?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Maybe they were posessed by an evil demon?

You work on identifying where your murder happens and make sure to have a calender there that you'd update every day, that way you'll know around which time you should decide whether he's possessed or just hates you.
And that also gives you a time frame to come up with a good way to kill him and not be caught by the authorities.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
If you already know how the scepter works, your simulates self is instantly aware of being simulated, since they see nothing in their vision. They also know why they touched the scepter so their life meaning is to find out the answer and commit suicide.

Psychopathic indeed.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Three in one!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Val is one of those people I desperately want to hug but know that doing so would result in a broken limb.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Unwomanly Face of War

Chapter 2, Part 1

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

love that hat throw

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Over the course of a week, Joost learns about the power of Heroin from Cepelis! During a spar, Cepelis' arm stretches beyond its limits past Joost's guard to strike him! Cepelis prepares to launch us into a flashback!

Read right to left:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Bouletcorp returns to the topic of food and music with a possibly more humble approach.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

lmao

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Technocrat posted:

Three in one!

drat, that went from lighthearted fun times to a pretty dark place, and I should have seen it coming.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Well they seem nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Oh man, now I want to drink a glass of ice cream.