Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I love love love card games but the only one I ever got into was the LotR LCG cause I could play it solo and not have to deal with card game men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rarity posted:

I love love love card games but the only one I ever got into was the LotR LCG cause I could play it solo and not have to deal with card game men

I got into the Arkham Horror LCG for the same reason. It's good (but expensive) until you get to a story expansion that's out of stock everywhere.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I went to Friday Night Magic at a local store once because I was told it was a good casual introduction to competitive Magic.

My cobbled together attempt at a budget deck was brutally annihilated by decks that had 4 x copies of $100 cards in it, and the smell of body odour in the poorly ventilated room was so severe that I actually physically gagged at several points through the night.

I guess on reflection that was a pretty good casual introduction to competitive Magic and also I don’t play MtG anymore.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Mode 7 posted:

I went to Friday Night Magic at a local store once because I was told it was a good casual introduction to competitive Magic.

My cobbled together attempt at a budget deck was brutally annihilated by decks that had 4 x copies of $100 cards in it, and the smell of body odour in the poorly ventilated room was so severe that I actually physically gagged at several points through the night.

I guess on reflection that was a pretty good casual introduction to competitive Magic and also I don’t play MtG anymore.

this is why limited should be the fnm of choice of any game store that wants to actually introduce people to the game

well not the body odor thing

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

stev posted:

I got into the Arkham Horror LCG for the same reason. It's good (but expensive) until you get to a story expansion that's out of stock everywhere.

Arkham Horror is the only LCG I would actively consider getting into if I had a partner, as it is apparently just a top-tier 2 player coop experience.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

VideoGames posted:

Absolutely yes. FFX-2, FFXII and FFVI are all next year. In fact, next is Symphony of the Night, then Wind Waker and I think that takes me to the end of the year. I am not sure. I have a whole mega huge list of games and I wish I could play them all now. This year being a jRPG and Zelda revelation has been extremely pleasant to me.

Oh my god, playing SOTN for the very first time, you lucky bastard.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Infinitum posted:

Some of the guys in my board game group play MTG religiously, and the will constantly talk about deck composition and it's so weird and alien even to me who enjoys gaming in all its different shapes.

Some of the players they talk about in the local TCG scene seem so insanely toxic

I havent played paper magic in about 20 years. I only relatively recently started playing it again when the Arena client was launched on mobile. The game is so much more complicated these days than it was 20 years ago that I honestly dont know how it's even still playable in paper with so many things to keep track of, things the Arena client does for you quite nicely. Arena also solves the toxic body odour problem by removing the person you're playing against from the room and you can even mute them as well (you should). It's also a great way to play limited magic which is the best way to play the game imo, it's so much more involved and requires more skill than just putting the most expensive cards in a deck together.

But of course as a f2p player you have to contend with the slow grind to accumulate in game currency in order to play

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

this is why limited should be the fnm of choice of any game store that wants to actually introduce people to the game

well not the body odor thing

:hai:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
A friend of mine explained once that his old workmate, who owned every single color of warhammer paint incidentally had some beardy Magic army consisting of flying undead angels who couldn't be hit and whenever they somehow died instantly respawned 3 more

i dont know how accurate my memory of that conversation is but it sure sounded cool

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The best Warhammer thing is the notorious player who had some special army that dropped from the sky and always waited until his opponent moved so he could deploy them in the most optimal position. He got owned by a guy who had a team of very fast guys who rushed to the far end of the board on Turn 1and Sky Guy had no legal place on the board to deploy his units because they couldn't drop behind enemy lines so had to forfeit.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Being incapable of dropping behind enemy lines seems like a problem for an airborne division.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
someone remember to link me videogames' reaction to the ffx2 intro when it happens

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Ha, I am getting my PS3 setup for Tuesday this evening. Gonna dualsense it seeing as my dualshock 3 fell apart the other day.

:swoon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Violen posted:

someone remember to link me videogames' reaction to the ffx2 intro when it happens

I begged him to watch the first X2 FMV when he finished X but he refused :mad:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The only true way to play X-2 is with the TinyBee X-2 Gun Controllers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rarity posted:

I begged him to watch the first X2 FMV when he finished X but he refused :mad:

What about watching the FFX-1.5 interlude video

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to champion Twitch and talk about how awesome it has been for gaming and communities, but then I turn around for 5 minutes and something completely heinous and vile occurs that makes me want to change my mind. :sigh:

The newest thing [CW: violence / abuse] a major twitch streamer came out that she is being forced to stream by her husband, who also forced her to keep their marriage a secret. There is physical abuse, and he has complete control over all of her finances, social media, and has said he is going to close the bank accounts and put all of the money into crypto, millions of dollars.

Twitch is getting so toxic and horrible that it is ruining any enjoyment I have had with being on there over the years.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ha I never had any fun on Twitch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have always enjoyed the much smaller streamers, but now I have to wonder if supporting twitch isn’t also supporting more sinister poo poo going on in the background if that makes sense? A few months ago I watched a short documentary about online streaming in China, and I have no doubt similar things happen here in the west if not worse.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only time I go to Twitch is to watch VG :hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rarity posted:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rarity posted:

Same. Oh and the occasional brainmage stream when I can catch him.

Oh there's a few mtg players I watch... although rarely...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was playing TTYD for like two or three hours straight last night and I don't think I've done that for a non-VN in a good while. Man, it's scratching an itch I didn't know I had.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

twitch tv or as i like to call it, the jermatorium

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In better news, I saw that Tub Girl is back as a trendy shock image once again, but this time on TikTok. It warms my heart to know that a new generation is finding this.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Sometimes I think about streaming just for fun but I think all the viewers would be infuriated pretty quickly. I'm playing New Vegas atm and I stop a lot to quickly mod something or look stuff up on the Wiki.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

In better news, I saw that Tub Girl is back as a trendy shock image once again, but this time on TikTok. It warms my heart to know that a new generation is finding this.

We're about 2 or 3 years from 2 Girls 1 Cup reaction videos coming back.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did lemon party come back or did they skip it and go straight for tub girl

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tub Girl will outlive us all :unsmith:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lemon party is quite wholesome actually

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The latest tiktok craze: bananaphone

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Tired of Biden's sour lies?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hatty posted:

Did lemon party come back or did they skip it and go straight for tub girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bvHlb2Fe8

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

that's very fair

I got into Magic getting my rear end beat by decks with $100 four-ofs too (Jace, the Mind Sculptor) but I had the good fortune of borrowing cards from my best friend who had a great collection and I could make something with a high power level. I like to think it made me better at Magic, crucible by fire-style

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i played magic with some friends for a couple days, realized that random card draws were infuriating to me, and promptly never played a CCG again

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vermain posted:

i played magic with some friends for a couple days, realized that random card draws were infuriating to me, and promptly never played a CCG again

that's really the game outside of actually piloting your deck, you're building your deck in such a way that you know the probabilities of getting the cards you need when you need them

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also you're gaming the system by loading yourself up with ways to pull extra from your deck or pick out the specific card that you need for your strategy

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

And your opponent is also drawing cards at random so is equally likely to get screwed, and a good player is able to sus out what they might have and adjust strategy accordingly to punish them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ff14 Endwalker: g'raha tia's constant tory power stance pose is really distracting :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

You could also channel ancient Egyptian powers to always topdeck the card you need