Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

stackofflapjacks posted:

I smell a real big fish here...

You are saying focused transmission laser communications is a reality, commercially? That's amazing to me

:justpost:

It's been a reality for a couple of decades. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_optical_communication

The biggest problems with the technology are in atmosphere where atmospheric diffraction, wind effects on transmitters and receivers, and interference from ground clutter are a factor. In orbit, ranges are much, much greater, and the objects that are transmitting have predictable vectors, velocities, and relative positions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_communication_in_space

The man barriers for implementation are cost and need. The technology is proven and is rapidly becoming mature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

stackofflapjacks posted:

You are saying focused transmission laser communications is a reality, commercially? That's amazing to me

The basic research was mostly done about a decade ago, then in the mid 2010's a lot of the key engineering was done and demonstrated in various missions (my favorite being LADEE, which demonstrated laser communications from the ground to a spacecraft in lunar orbit). Since then, various companies have sprung up selling their solutions (largely based on NASA research).

Laser comms between two spacecraft are now old-hat enough that you can call up a provider and get a quote. The new, interesting sector is laser comms between a satellite and a vehicle on the ground. Last summer, DoD launched a demonstrator constellation of cubesats which demonstrated laser comms and control of a MQ-9 Reaper.

Lately, there has been work in links working in adverse conditions. There are some IR frequencies that scatter much less from droplets than most light, and fiberoptic lasers make it easy to target them. You can get gigabit links through thunderclouds these days.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tuna-Fish posted:

The basic research was mostly done about a decade ago, then in the mid 2010's a lot of the key engineering was done and demonstrated in various missions (my favorite being LADEE, which demonstrated laser communications from the ground to a spacecraft in lunar orbit). Since then, various companies have sprung up selling their solutions (largely based on NASA research).

Laser comms between two spacecraft are now old-hat enough that you can call up a provider and get a quote. The new, interesting sector is laser comms between a satellite and a vehicle on the ground. Last summer, DoD launched a demonstrator constellation of cubesats which demonstrated laser comms and control of a MQ-9 Reaper.

Lately, there has been work in links working in adverse conditions. There are some IR frequencies that scatter much less from droplets than most light, and fiberoptic lasers make it easy to target them. You can get gigabit links through thunderclouds these days.

God drat that's cool.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jimmy Smuts posted:

How the heck do you get an AK to rust? Was there not enough cosmoline around to store 'em?

can you get drunk off cosmoline?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/16/russian-troops-kill-ukrainian-musician-yuriy-kerpatenko-for-refusing-role-in-kherson-concert

The Russians murdered a Ukrainian orchestra conductor in Kherson for refusing to take part in a concert.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1581721575597883392

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Stay safe Ghost Tank

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Won’t the cops do something about this sideshow it’s waking the whole drat neighborhood

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That tank is just preparing a wallow for the rest of the heard

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Tuna-Fish posted:

Jesus. Orbital laser controlled UAV/droneswarms are gonna be the future of warfare.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apparently there were still a couple of alive crew members in there because another video shows the tank stopped and a drone dropping a bomb directly on their heads as they try to escape.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Tiny Timbs posted:

Apparently there were still a couple of alive crew members in there because another video shows the tank stopped and a drone dropping a bomb directly on their heads as they try to escape.

wow that was grim

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bum the Sad posted:

wow that was grim

At least they died making bitching Spirograph art.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hypnophant posted:

While a fair few Okinawans might be willing to rise up and through the americans out, I somehow don’t think a crate of Russian arms is going to be the inducement that makes them actually do it

Of course not, but Oki and Kadena aren't ACTUALLY keeping anyone from invading Japan, since the USSR's post-WWII drawdown (particularly in the infantry). Let's not mock Russia for saying our quiet part out loud.

There are PLENTY of other reasons to mock Russia.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

OPAONI posted:

Jesus. Orbital laser controlled UAV/droneswarms are gonna be the future of warfare.

It's gonna get really, really funky when this stuff starts taking place in large scale at very high speeds. Drone swarms countering drone swarms as one example. Huge portions of the outcome of a war would be determined without a human even being capable of being in the decision chain for firing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OPAONI posted:

Followed by non-kinetic ASAT in a big way.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Russia is buying heavier stuff from Iran.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1581566937896980486

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm imagining a buddy comedy where the SBU and the Mossad team up to blow up an Iranian ballistic missile site.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Maybe they'll get desperate enough to buy Shahabs and SCUDs from Iran as well.

Only off on the ranges.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

psydude posted:

I'm imagining a buddy comedy where the SBU and the Mossad team up to blow up an Iranian ballistic missile site.

Considering how many times Israel has blown up Iranian missile shipments previously, you probably don't have to imagine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh hey thread title

I have been homer simpsoning about Saudi Arabia getting more involved in aid (if not gas production) and it just clicked. Lol if they make this their new Houthi proxy war

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

At least they died making bitching Spirograph art.

Wait, did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of Russian tank crews and the rise in spirograph activity? Think about it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Budget Dracula posted:

Wait, did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of Russian tank crews and the rise in spirograph activity? Think about it.

I will.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ukrainian uzumaki is spooky

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

No you won’t.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/status/1582002335219208193?s=20&t=kJEm_r7fiz-Ulsp6vGoISw

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

https://ekspress.delfi.ee/artikkel/...russian-cruelty

Estonian Reporter article with the heads of counterintelligence of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Saw this in the D&D thread, reminds me of Patton on fighting Russia and is a really well written look at the Baltics counterintel chiefs discussing Russia and attitudes that led to the war. Also thoroughly debunking that it's 'Putin's War' only.

But grim as well, decapitating the leader doesn't seem like the panacea we would hope it is in the West.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1581969746693566465
https://twitter.com/TheBaseLeg/status/1581970848868888584

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1582033738258534401

Speculation is an accident, this city is home to a naval aviation training center.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

stackofflapjacks posted:

Estonian Reporter article with the heads of counterintelligence of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Saw this in the D&D thread, reminds me of Patton on fighting Russia and is a really well written look at the Baltics counterintel chiefs discussing Russia and attitudes that led to the war. Also thoroughly debunking that it's 'Putin's War' only.

But grim as well, decapitating the leader doesn't seem like the panacea we would hope it is in the West.

This is a really good article but I can't help but reflexively be suspicious of any "Russians walk like this" type arguments. Still there does seem to be something to the logic of Russian power groups all having a sort of "bully culture" where ultimately nothing but force is respected and no fault can ever be acknowledged because that would be an admission of weakness.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Speculation is an accident, this city is home to a naval aviation training center.

Holy poo poo, that picture. Once in a lifetime shot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

There's also a parachute in the picture.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/maria_shagina/status/1581930727943581696?t=bw_ppWG_wbb186_SDr-Spg&s=19

Hope the :nsa: game is on point in this regard.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to counterfeit Chinese goods.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fuckin amazon doing this to Russia too eh

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That Works posted:

Alihaha Express

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That Works posted:

The volume of their fake review game is impressive. Have gotten into habit of always sorting by most recent to get a glimpse of if something is junk.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The volume of their fake review game is impressive. Have gotten into habit of always sorting by most recent to get a glimpse of if something is junk.

Fakespot works reasonably well, too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

stackofflapjacks posted:

strange how decapitating the leader type stuff never seems to work. on the plus side, getting rid of every effective mid-level guy does seem to work very, very well at cumulatively diminishing a side's ability to fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is a really good article but I can't help but reflexively be suspicious of any "Russians walk like this" type arguments. Still there does seem to be something to the logic of Russian power groups all having a sort of "bully culture" where ultimately nothing but force is respected and no fault can ever be acknowledged because that would be an admission of weakness.

They really needed to be saying "...and this is just what happens in societies where a fascist ideology really takes hold and remains rooted across multiple generations" because that's what they're describing. It's inherent in fascism. The Russians they're talking about grew up in a brutally abusive, traumatic environment. It reprograms people to behave in the way they're describing. You see the same post-truth, might-makes-right mentality in Trumpists for the same reasons. I'm not sure how you give an entire country the kind of therapy that's needed to heal that.