Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm a programmer for work so the idea of having a game console with SOME out-of-the-box compatibility (so I don't have to struggle to get Bluetooth working at ALL like with the Pi) but that still allows you to plug in a keyboard and mouse and type sudo su and change a goddamn config file in VIM if you need to is really pleasing to me. And it works for both old games AND new ones, and I can play on my TV, at my desk, OR on a portable and share save files between them. I love the concept and assuming my E2E testing goes smoothly I'll be set for quite a while. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
Got my Dock in, plugged the Deck into it and it just…sat there charging with the display on. Tried a couple different HDMI cables and ports, then restarted the Deck. This appears to have bricked the device. It beeps when I press the power button and the fans turn on but it otherwise doesn’t do anything. Is this an RMA situation or is there anything else I can try to bring it back to life?

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

homeless snail posted:

Not saying you're wrong but what exactly are you trying to do? Can't think of any good reason to gently caress with the contents of /var/lib/flatpak, all the user modifiable stuff is in your home directory. If you really need to do it, might be better off installing it with flatpak --user so it installs to ~/.local/ instead and you don't need to gently caress with anything outside of home.

I didn't know you could install the discover stuff outside of the protected folders, that might be the next solution to try. I've been attempting to install a mod called OpenHUD to OpenMW, a Linux native engine replacement for TES3:Morrowind.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48893

Specifically I'm trying to merge/overwrite the Resource folder and Data folder located at var/lib/flatpak/app/org.openmw.OpenMW/current/active/files/share/games/openmw/.

edit - Was actually way easier to do this than I thought. Won't be able to test if the mod actually works until I finish some more things but at first glance copying the stuff over was just the following. Here's the process for anyone else doing stupid poo poo like me... (assuming your openhud data and resources folders are unzipped to Downloads/OpenHUD)

In konsole use passwd to set a sudo password if not done already, then run the following commands
code:
sudo steamos-readonly disable
code:
sudo cp -R /home/deck/Downloads/OpenHUD/* /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.openmw.OpenMW/current/active/files/share/games/openmw/
code:
sudo steamos-readonly enable
Some of this stuff is slowly coming back to me.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK, I'm not King Linux either, but I'm sure we can figure this out. Did you have the specific error message handy? The first thing that comes to mind is a rights thing and tes3cmd doesn't have rights to read the inifiles, or write to them (I don't know what tes3cmd is trying to do, I've never used it).

This might be the issue. I feel like I've taken a crash course in Linux in the worst way over the past few days and learned nothing.

https://modding-openmw.com/tips/cleaning-with-tes3cmd/
https://modding-openmw.com/mods/tes3cmd/

The second link I posted provides a perl script for Linux rather than the windows exe I've used in the past. My understanding is that it compares the "dirty" plugin to values present in your vanilla MW data and provides a "clean" plugin that restores certain data values or removes junk from the original construction set. You can see an example of what the program does at this link.

https://modding-openmw.com/mods/vurts-groundcover-for-openmw/

Luckily I still had an old Windows install and was able to do the work there rather than on the deck, so not figuring this out isn't the end of the world.

Xinlum fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 17, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Metric Skeleton posted:

Got my Dock in, plugged the Deck into it and it just…sat there charging with the display on. Tried a couple different HDMI cables and ports, then restarted the Deck. This appears to have bricked the device. It beeps when I press the power button and the fans turn on but it otherwise doesn’t do anything. Is this an RMA situation or is there anything else I can try to bring it back to life?

I had this once. Several attempts at hard resetting with things connected and not connected eventually did it.

When it's shut down, hold volume down + power until you hear the beep. I'm not sure if it's both right at the same time or volume down then power.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Heran Bago posted:

When it's shut down, hold volume down + power until you hear the beep. I'm not sure if it's both right at the same time or volume down then power.

Hold volume down and press the power button, then release volume down when you hear the power up chime. It'll give you the boot options menu.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

The Deck has changed up how I go about playing video games. My partner and I used to vigilant about what the other was into watching or playing so as to share the rig / tv. We never argued over it or anything, but there's less game to be had when it's always behind booting up the thing and fills up the room.

Unless it's particularly bombastic I'm happy to play my thing handheld on the couch and half- pay attention to some series or movie I wouldn't normally go for. More movies for them, more games for me. More movies for me too. The thing has been surprisingly good for Us.

This is a role that the Switch kind of filled, and the Wii U before that. But the novelty is gone where it's still strong with the Deck, and the library gives it longer legs. I love the Splatoon games and still haven't picked up the new one.

Very stoked for this.

This is why I bought a deck. It's Hallmark movie season. So my choice is suffer through the same movie with different drop-down menu selections, sit at desk in living room and play stuff on GeForce now or go downstairs and play on the big boy PC.

I will still use the big boy PC for stuff but when I'm in the mood for poo poo like Stardew or whatever else I'll just steam deck it.

Also the emulation is impressive and I can stop having 3 different devices.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

Heran Bago posted:

I had this once. Several attempts at hard resetting with things connected and not connected eventually did it.

This did it, thanks very much! The next issue I ran into was the Dock failing to update and saying it was getting disconnected, which was resolved after a few minutes by, of course, unplugging the power, waiting thirty seconds, and plugging it back in. Hopefully that’ll help somebody else at some point. I am now happily plugging away at Siralim on a big ol’ TV. Good Dock.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I play guild wars 2 on the Deck while I'm "watching" the bachelor/real housewives/hallmark movies, so the Deck is really helpful for snuggle season if you, too, are forced to watch those kind of shows! Also recommend buying a Comfy!

Also, shockingly, Rimworld on the Deck isn't bad. I pause a bit more than I'm used to, but I just finished researching how to make advanced components and am now ready to begin my reign of terror on all opposing factions. I made my own custom controller configurations but out of the box it worked well!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

How hard is it to play something like Lost Ark or DOTA on the deck? My hunch is that there would be too many keybinds needed to make it a comfortable experience but I'm still tempted to try.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

How hard is it to play something like Lost Ark or DOTA on the deck? My hunch is that there would be too many keybinds needed to make it a comfortable experience but I'm still tempted to try.

Well Gabe wanted DOTA to be perfect on the deck so you’ve got that.

Lost Ark won’t run on the deck unless you use windows. I’ve played LA with a controller and it mostly works but it does have some interface issue.

LA would be great on steamos though because you have mouse support and could use custom menus which you kinda don’t get in windows.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

for the person whose emudeck saves whooshed, is there a cloud save feature?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mescal posted:

for the person whose emudeck saves whooshed, is there a cloud save feature?

There is in the most recent update but it's a simple "backup the save folder on a cloud storage service" thing for now. They're apparently working on full cloud sync.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Mat Cauthon posted:

Play around with the controls, you can do some wild stuff that makes even keybind heavy games like Factorio run well enough. Both touchpads can turn into (I think) up to 12 extra binds.

With action sets you can basically have an unlimited amount of controls, for example, my X button is set to switch to an action set that toggles my left touchpad into a scroll wheel and changes my right touchpad into a dpad with a few barely used keys.

You can also do things like have alternate key presses for things like double tapping a button vs holding vs tapping.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The emudeck update also ate my ps2 memory cards but luckily I’d only spent 10-15 minutes loving around in simpsons hit and run so it wasn’t a huge deal

Hopefully they don’t do that again though

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah there's a reason I waited until I finished Twilight Princess before doing the update. I've heard too many stories of Emudeck overwriting people's settings despite them telling it to leave them.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Metric Skeleton posted:

Is this the official Dock? Mine is due to arrive today and now I'm anxious about dealing with headaches.

Also earlier in the thread someone cautioned against using huge libraries of ROMs via the Steam ROM manager or whatever it's called?

Something to do with it messing up the stream interface I think?

I've only popped a few games on it so far but it seemed relatively unintrusive and I was able to navigate to the correct games for each system in the library.

Was that poster talking about adding multiple regional versions of the same game or something?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kin posted:

Is this the official Dock? Mine is due to arrive today and now I'm anxious about dealing with headaches.

Also earlier in the thread someone cautioned against using huge libraries of ROMs via the Steam ROM manager or whatever it's called?

Something to do with it messing up the stream interface I think?

I've only popped a few games on it so far but it seemed relatively unintrusive and I was able to navigate to the correct games for each system in the library.

Was that poster talking about adding multiple regional versions of the same game or something?

Adding full libraries and then adding them to gaming mode through SRM means you’ll have hundreds of games to sift through in a single menu. If that’s fine with you then don’t worry about it but most people would rather only have a few games that they’re actually going to play in the interface.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

The emudeck update also ate my ps2 memory cards but luckily I’d only spent 10-15 minutes loving around in simpsons hit and run so it wasn’t a huge deal

Hopefully they don’t do that again though

This is good to know, I probably wont bother updating unless I know an update comes out that fixes a game I want to play, or improves performance for a game I want to play.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Folks, I spent some time figuring out how to get the Humble Games Collection and the Humble app working. I mostly wanted to try Moonscars, but with Signalis coming out next week I figured this might be helpful to others. Or maybe you just want to play Void Bastards or something. Anyways, this is a long one:

1. Switch to Desktop mode and install the Firefox and Bottles flatpaks from Discover and use Flatseal (also in Discover) to set a filesystem override on Bottles for "xdg-data". Alternatively if you prefer to install these from a terminal, run these commands:
code:
flatpak install flathub org.mozilla.firefox com.usebottles.bottles
sudo flatpak override --filesystem=xdg-data com.usebottles.bottles
2. Open Firefox, go to https://www.humblebundle.com/membership/collection and download the Humble App installer.

3. Open Steam, add a non-Steam game, and select the installer exe (/home/deck/Downloads/Humble-App-Setup-1.1.5+370.exe). Open the game properties, rename it as the "Humble Games Collection" and set the compatibility tool to the latest stable version of Proton (7.0-4).

4. Start the Humble installer, and select to install for "all users". Do not run the Humble App when finishing installation.

5. Open the game properties again, and Browse for a new executable. You want to look for /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/APP_ID/drive_c/Program Files/Humble App/Humble App.exe, where APP_ID is a moderately-lengthy random number. To help find it, it's going to be a longer number than any native Steam game, and look for the most recent date in the Modified column as the directory was created in step #4. When you find it, write down the APP_ID as you'll need it later.

6. Open Bottles, go through the initial setup, then create a new bottle named "Humble Games Collection" (without quotes) with a custom environment.

7. Open a terminal (Konsole) and run these commands to replace and link the Wine prefix with the one created by Steam:
code:
cd ~/.var/app/com.usebottles.bottles/data/bottles/bottles/Humble-Games-Collection 
rm -rf dosdevices drive_c
ln -snf ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/3116947765/pfx/* .
ln -s steamuser drive_c/users/deck
8. Open Bottles again, select "Humble Games Collection" from the Bottles tab. You should see "Humble App" listed under Programs. Open the "..." menu and select "Add Desktop Entry".

9. Open a file browser (Dolphin) and look for the file ~/.local/share/applications/"Humble Games Collection--Humble App--(numbers).desktop". Edit this file and replace the line starting with "Exec=" with the following:
code:
Exec=bash -c 'exec "$0" "${@/\?/\/}"' flatpak run --command=bottles-cli com.usebottles.bottles run -e 'C:\Program Files\Humble App\Humble App.exe' -b 'Humble Games Collection' -a '"%u"'
Copy and paste the above if you can, but if you're typing it in manually beware the last bit has single quotes wrapping around the double quotes. Save.

10. Open a terminal again and run this command:
code:
systemctl --user restart xdg-desktop-portal
11. Open Bottles (again!), select "Humble Games Collection", and start the "Humble App". Once the Humble App opens, select "Sign in to your Humble account" which should open Firefox to the Humble login page. Login, then select "Allow Access" and "Open Link" which should popup the "Open with..." dialog. Select "Show More" and from the list "Humble App". The Humble app should restart in a few seconds and you'll be logged in.

12. Open the Settings page (gear icon) in the Humble App and under General, disable "Keep running app when window closed." Close the Humble App and Bottles.

At this point you can return to Gaming mode and run the Humble Games Collection from your non-Steam Library page. It should already be logged in and good to go. If at some point you need to login again switch to Desktop mode and follow steps #10-11 again.

One issue when using the Humble app is that the scroll bars don't work. I think this is a Wine problem as I couldn't get them to work on my desktop either. To scroll you can use arrow keys once you've focused the tab with the mouse, or you can use the mouse scroll wheel. On the Deck itself, I recommend using Steam Input to assign the left trackpad to Scroll Wheel (Clockwise Command: SW Down, CCW Command: SW Up). I prefer to set the Swipe Direction to Vertical, but some folks like Circular as this lets you use it like a crank.

If you want to install games to the SD card for space reasons, save to the E:\ drive when downloading. Proton assigns this to the SD card.

The Humble app will crash on startup if you try to use it in Desktop mode--it's the same error that Vampire Survivors emits when you try to run that in Desktop mode too. If you really want to run it in Desktop mode, you can open the game properties and set the Launch Options to "PROTON_LOG=1 PROTON_LOG_DIR=/tmp %command%" (without quotes), but I'd just recommend running it in game mode. I guess you could use Bottles too, but I don't know how much you can actually use this under Bottles since we didn't setup any of the compatibility libraries.

OK, so why is this so messy? Well, when the Humble app installs, it registers a URI scheme handler in Windows for "humble://" links. Wineserver either doesn't support this, or if it does it requires a web browser to be installed within the same Wine prefix--not sure. Anyways, when you use the sign-in option, the app opens a web (https) URL with a challenge string. This does correctly open in Firefox and will let you login, but when you select "Allow Access" the site passes a "humble://" URL back to Firefox, and the purpose of steps #8-10 is to plumb this back to the Humble app.

The second issue is that for the Humble app to process the login successfully, it has to run two instances of the app under the same Wineserver instance--it's not good enough to just open the "humble://" URL, it has to communicate the response back to the first instance of the app which matches up the challenge/response strings. Steam/Proton fundamentally won't let you run two instances of an app at the same time, which is why we have to use Bottles to do it. Separately, Bottles is supposed to automatically import Steam Proton prefixes but that appears not to work, which is why we have to manually link it in step #7.

The last issue is that, since the Deck runs the flatpak version of Firefox, it uses the xdg-desktop-portal mechanism to open links outside of its sandbox, but if you don't run the command in step #10 the "Open with..." dialog never appears. This is beacuse the Deck uses the xdg-desktop-portal-kde backend, but for some reason, when xdg-desktop-portal is started in Game mode the -kde backend errors out. Restarting xdg-desktop-portal in Desktop mode fixes that until the next reboot.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i didn't read that, but i did add it to OP!

if you lose track of some good info in this thread, ctrl-f the OP. i'm adding quotes from y'all on an ongoing basis.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Got my Dock today, sadly didn't come either a HDMI, so I had to use one if my standard ones. Here's my report.

Scorn: Looked terrible and faded, no matter what setting I used on the monitor/ Deck. Looks fantastic in handheld mode, but fir some reason looks like someone spread lard on the screen.

Steelrising: I wanted to see if this looked any better, because I know I need a better setup to run it properly. Textures looked sharper, but models seemed off. More a setting issue than a Deck issue.

Saw: I am using my Steam Controller as my external controller for this, so it wasn't recognising it. Still recognised the Deck controls.Game looked great and sharp.

Phoenix Point: Controller responded perfectly, game looked amazing. No issues.

Haven: Looked good, did not respond to Steam Controller or Steam Deck controls while docked.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still saw a little lag when I tried hooking my whole setup up to my TV for E2E testing, but part of it was the TV itself. Switched to "Game Optimized" mode and that honestly made enough difference that SMW felt playable. Works for me. If I really wanted to I guess I could pick up one of those non-BT wireless dongles but I don't really see a reason to now.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

Kin posted:

Yes. I think my Deck got stuck trying to output video for a bit and so it was on and probably responsive, but with its display turned off I couldn’t tell. If it fusses try the stuff suggested up there. It’s fine now and I am very happy with it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got my Dock and it just connected and worked after installing the firmware update.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

njsykora posted:

Adding full libraries and then adding them to gaming mode through SRM means you’ll have hundreds of games to sift through in a single menu. If that’s fine with you then don’t worry about it but most people would rather only have a few games that they’re actually going to play in the interface.

Ah, so just a preference thing rather than technical then.

Makes sense though. I've got Nintendo online and even with that curated list there's some jank that's just in the way.

Edit: parcelforce have let me down though. My Dock has been sitting in their local depot since 5am this morning. They've just not bothered to send it out for delivery today like they said they would.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 17, 2022

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Turn off the frame limiter and turn off vsync in the emulator. YMMV though.

This helped. Thank you!

I will certainly miss the Vsync (it’s noticeable) but I made the changes you suggested and was able to treat Soda Popinski like the chump he truly is.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chinook posted:

I will certainly miss the Vsync (it’s noticeable) but I made the changes you suggested and was able to treat Soda Popinski like the chump he truly is.
Noticeable in what way? It's not supposed to screen tear--that's something that was added to gamescope only recently and programs need to explicitly support it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Gotta say, I was impressed with the power management in gaming mode. Got my Deck on Saturday, when I was installing stuff in linux desktop mode and windows the battery was draining real quick which started to worry me. After that I wanted something that would download quick to test out the Deck so I started playing Stardew Valley.

Stardew is obviously a very undemanding game, but I was able to play for like 4 hours while watching The International and the battery was still around 50% when I stopped. If I'd done the same on my Switch I 100% would have had to plug the charger in midway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anyone really leave shaders on with Retroarch? I fiddle with them but inevitably prefer just how the game actually looks. Some of them are pretty neat though

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Been playing Neon Abyss on this thing. It was an Epic freebie sometime back and a pretty fun twin stick roguelite that runs great on this thing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

EmuDeck 2.0.1 available! FIX: Reset Config for PrimeHack and PCSX2
FIX: Distorted images in certain resolutions
FIX: Messages on PowerTools
FIX: Improved SD Card detection
FIX: Improved Backend detection
FIX: RetroAchievments
NEW: Appimage file log
KNOWN BUG: GyroDSU installation not working yet

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If it eats my memory card files again I’ll be very upset

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Dang ran into my first game that won't run on the deck. Tekken 7 crashes to desktop.
Looks like I'm finally going to have to learn how to fiddle with proton settings.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Dang ran into my first game that won't run on the deck. Tekken 7 crashes to desktop.
Looks like I'm finally going to have to learn how to fiddle with proton settings.
Experimental or GE works, plays really well

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Reminder to longhold the Steam button to show these shortcuts:

Steam + B long press has never worked when I've needed it to.

Metric Skeleton posted:

This did it, thanks very much!

Welcome, glad that did it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anyone really leave shaders on with Retroarch? I fiddle with them but inevitably prefer just how the game actually looks. Some of them are pretty neat though

I do because "how the game actually looks" isn't how I remember the game looking when I played NES through to the N64 on a rounded, fuzzy rear end CRT. For 2D pixel stuff I can go either way, but all of that early 3D poo poo doesn't really look good to me when it's in HD and clear because those games all look pretty bad.

Seriously, nearly every N64 title is ugly as gently caress.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sigher posted:

I do because "how the game actually looks" isn't how I remember the game looking when I played NES through to the N64 on a rounded, fuzzy rear end CRT. For 2D pixel stuff I can go either way, but all of that early 3D poo poo doesn't really look good to me when it's in HD and clear because those games all look pretty bad.

What do you try to put on for N64? I saw one of the ones emudeck downloaded put an old-timey film filter over it which was pretty funny lol

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Been playing Neon Abyss on this thing. It was an Epic freebie sometime back and a pretty fun twin stick roguelite that runs great on this thing.

how do you deal with epic launcher? is there a quicker, easier, more integrated approach than the obvious one?

sigher posted:

they do look better on the screens they were designed for, yes. modern pixelperfect lcd/led screens are not 'higher fidelity' or whatever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

There's some shaders that fix some of the sprite distortion that happens when you have a non-integer scale that are quite nice. In terms of that LCD grid thing some people are pushing right now for Game Boy stuff or god forbid a CRT filter god no those always look like poo poo.

Anyway I've been playing docked for most of the evening and laying on the sofa playing Skies of Arcadia Legends was a fine way to spend an evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBA Starblade posted:

What do you try to put on for N64? I saw one of the ones emudeck downloaded put an old-timey film filter over it which was pretty funny lol

I shader I use is crt-mattias.slang (Under Shader Parameters I set the Curvature to .40 so it's not too much), it looks exactly like the TV I had growing up or close enough to it, update the shaders from RetroArch's main menu if you don't see the shaders in the folders. Main Menu > Online Updater > Update Slang Shaders

Here's some performance tweaks you can do if you find games hitching and poo poo because of loading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iivwka513Y