Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They're random do-nothing loot items and you need to find all half-a-dozen or you don't get poo poo for your time.

I think grimoires also corrupt your HP bar? Never found any myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Betas gone… feel like poo poo…. Just want her back….

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I think this game has kind of the same issue as VT2 where new players playing on level 1 / level 2 (forget the VT2 names) don't really get a full feel for the game. It's a little too slow, a little too throwing consumables at you. People might play it and think it's boring. Obviously, you need those early levels for people to learn the game a bit, but at least it seems that way to me.

Do we know how they are going to handle grims/tomes? Having to hunt them down and do random jumping puzzles was really the only thing about VT2 I didn't like. And then making it necessary to always carry curse resistance. I hope both of those pieces of VT2 are absent in Darktide and they do something a little different. I know they're in the game, just not exactly sure how they work now.

Its a side quest modifier that shows up on some missions when the selection is generated, as far as I can tell from the beta they only add extra reward of coins and experience to the end of the mission if you complete them and don't add extra loot. In game they work the same way way as the books did with tomes taking up the healing/ammo item slot and grims applying a percentage based corruption health debuff. It means at the very least its way more ignorable and doesnt ruin a run if you dont find them all the way it did in vt2.

There were several vendor spaces in the hub that are obviously going to do things though, probably with the plasteel and diamantine that we didnt see, so maybe theyll impact that stuff though.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Vargs posted:

It's generally less about people berating others for their lack of green circles (though I have seen this happen) and more about people playing in stupid-rear end ways to get as many green circles for themselves as possible, which almost always happens.

Yeah this was the real problem.

"Going Elf" was a popular meme as well which was basically the idea of a player - usually the Elf's player - running off alone in a straight line to kill as many things as possible, smashing their active directly into harmless clumps of enemies and so on in an effort to either get themselves killed or get the most rat kills, whichever came first.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Honestly I think while i'd prefer weapons that you unlock and customize over the course of campaign instead of loot style rarity, offloading the system to an in game store where you choose what you want to buy with a universal currency instead of getting random chests is a better choice than what vt2 had. People throwing runs and getting mad because players didnt have all the books memorized or lost one, therefore lowering the tier of loot acquired was pretty annoying. I just wanna smash rats.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jeez, pick-up games. Not even once.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Siivola posted:

Jeez, pick-up games. Not even once.

My games were mostly pretty good, but I had one last night where one person just beelined straight ahead and ran all over the place. There was a med station and they really needed to heal. Someone in chat let them know there was a charge available, to which they replied "no heals" or whatever. Then a plague orgryn spawned and killed us all because he had no health left. Good times.

Sharkopath posted:

Its a side quest modifier that shows up on some missions when the selection is generated, as far as I can tell from the beta they only add extra reward of coins and experience to the end of the mission if you complete them and don't add extra loot. In game they work the same way way as the books did with tomes taking up the healing/ammo item slot and grims applying a percentage based corruption health debuff. It means at the very least its way more ignorable and doesnt ruin a run if you dont find them all the way it did in vt2.

There were several vendor spaces in the hub that are obviously going to do things though, probably with the plasteel and diamantine that we didnt see, so maybe theyll impact that stuff though.

I'm glad it doesn't sound required for a "higher roll" for an item, since that seems mostly out of the picture? Although I am not sure how the item calculatored for "gift from the emperor" or whatever it is called. I know you have a chance to get a weapon when you level, and then this was on top of that.

I feel like I'm down with all the mechanics of grims/tomes, just really hoping they're loot items you find randomly and you don't have to hunt them down / do jumping puzzles. Always seemed to ruin the flow of the game for me.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Haz 3 abruptly switched from impossible to regular completion around level 10, when blue gear starts showing up (and you get another talent, though that wasn't very impactful for my psyker). I think item level underlies a lot of relative difficulty.

e: Also gently caress VT2 grimoires, absolutely miserable mechanic with no redeeming features whatsoever.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Corbeau posted:

Haz 3 abruptly switched from impossible to regular completion around level 10, when blue gear start showing up (and you get another talent, though that wasn't very impactful for my psyker). I think item level underlies a lot of relative difficulty.

This is definitely true. VT2 gated the difficulties a little more strictly from character power (level + item level). I saw there was a little of that going on, but it was a lot more lax.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tomes/Grims were kinda fun but I hated feeling obligated to find/get them in every run if you wanted to maximize your xp/loot gains. Also made doing random groups hard because everybody always wants to get every tome and grim regardless of whether they're capable of finishing the level, then usually just quit when they realized they can't. Hoping this game doesn't fall into that same pattern.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Broken Cog posted:

Playing this makes me wonder how nobody has managed to make a good replication of the Director in L4D, the AI responsible for changing the level and enemy/special spawns to make every playthrough of the level feel unique. It's been more than 10 years.

Killing Floor 2 did a pretty decent job in that regard, as did Deep Rock Galactic but yeah it is a bit of a rarity otherwise

Sharkopath posted:

The opposite is also fun, one of may favorite runs was me as the veteran leader with my 3 large sons clearing the way while i kept them safe from specials.

Had a similar experience with a 3 Ogryn, 1 Psyker team

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of the Ogryn grenade, it felt really underwhelming, and considering how slow it was to take out and throw, I felt I was basically always better off just keeping the shotgun out and blasting away.
Was kinda funny how you're just tossing a box, but the novelty wore off fast

Kind of like how one never really uses the special ability as Veteran(as it is really wimpy) or your gun as Psyker(if you only had the revolver)

Vargs posted:

It's generally less about people berating others for their lack of green circles (though I have seen this happen) and more about people playing in stupid-rear end ways to get as many green circles for themselves as possible, which almost always happens.

Wildly firing shots at elites or hordes that are already being handled by teammates, causing friendly fire and leaving other areas exposed. Constantly trying to push just a bit past everyone else to make sure that all of the rat kills are theirs. Pointlessly trying to score snipes on single ambient rats before anyone else can reach them which ends up with at least 10 javelins in the group's backs by the end of the mission. Hell, that last one annoyed me enough that I fired up MSPaint to vent about it right after release:

This is pretty good

This is definitely true. VT2 gated the difficulties a little more strictly from character power (level + item level). I saw there was a little of that going on, but it was a lot more lax.

Which is great because that was probably the worst thing about VT2, it gating content behind difficulty levels

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Corbeau posted:

e: Also gently caress VT2 grimoires, absolutely miserable mechanic with no redeeming features whatsoever.

explosivo posted:

Tomes/Grims were kinda fun but I hated feeling obligated to find/get them in every run if you wanted to maximize your xp/loot gains. Also made doing random groups hard because everybody always wants to get every tome and grim regardless of whether they're capable of finishing the level, then usually just quit when they realized they can't. Hoping this game doesn't fall into that same pattern.

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not alone on this one.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The tome/grim system wasn't perfect, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the "scour every corner of the map looking for relics" since they seem to have random spawn locations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That was also my concern. If they are random loot, that means we'll have people who insists on scouring every inch of the map every time.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

we never completed a secondary mission through the beta, i guess now i know why if you need to go off doing loving jumping puzzles and poo poo in a game that severely punishes you for not sticking together lol

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Do not come between the Nazgul Sienna and her prey

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wheeee posted:

we never completed a secondary mission through the beta, i guess now i know why if you need to go off doing loving jumping puzzles and poo poo in a game that severely punishes you for not sticking together lol

No all the items are just on the ground or tables with icons that mark them, stuff like the grimoires glow.

Theres a small section in the prison map off to the side near the start where enemies dont spawn and you could jump across a gap but as far as I ever saw there was nothing down there minus the occasional plasteel box.

The maps are however very large with lots of alternate paths and open spaces, so I can't imagine trying to find all of them being very fun.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea i gave up pretty quickly running through the little side rooms and poo poo trying to find a grimoire for what i figured was a small exp bonus

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can you side dodge a hound the way you can the net gunner?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can you side dodge a hound the way you can the net gunner?

You can also pushblock them reliably, I found. The timing for side dodging is a bit finicky.

Dogs and chargers also seem to love target fixing on a single party member, even if other party members are closer or more isolated targets. Seen them charge past all 3 teammates to get to one further behind.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Do we know how they are going to handle grims/tomes? Having to hunt them down and do random jumping puzzles was really the only thing about VT2 I didn't like. And then making it necessary to always carry curse resistance. I hope both of those pieces of VT2 are absent in Darktide and they do something a little different. I know they're in the game, just not exactly sure how they work now.

You would very much like the chaos wastes roguelike mode, it's all my friends played since it came out in VT2, no tomes/grims, just randomly placed currency for buying powerups as the run goes on and giving a reason to explore little nooks and crannies besides supplies.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hell yeah. I bought the DLC, but never played. I am going to try to get a group of friends together to play while we're getting hyped for Darktide. I'm in the Goontide Discord as well, so worst case hopefully I can pick up some games there with what is hopefully a bunch of goons coming back to play because of the Darktide beta.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The bonus side collections seem randomly assigned now, we got a side quest for some about once in every 3 runs. It will show up in the top right if its active. I'm not observant enough to describe why but the marker for collectibles stands out imho when you have played enough to get used to seeing the markers for ammo, currency and crates.

We had one grimoire mission. We found both of them but with the corruption lowered health we ended up with a wipe. Two teammates were down and I was fighting to clear around their bodies when suddenly my screen froze for less than a second then I was suddenly watching the last survivor play. Something had gone through my full toughness and health in one go apparently, or the PC I was playing on had a brainfart. Grimoires work like VT2 where they go in your #3 slot (medkits and ammo boxes), corrupt your health, and are gone if you die or if you pick up a medkit or ammo box presumably.

Relics was the side mission most of the time when we got one. They look like tiny covered teapots with handles. We found all 6 twice, 4/6 or 5/6 was more likely. I personally combed all the out of the way side areas I could find when we had that goal and found maybe 3 the whole weekend. Usually it was my team grabbing them as they zoomed ahead, so I'm pretty sure they are scattered along the main path. They don't take a slot. I agree you should get a partial reward for only finding some of them, otherwise the reward needs to be increased to combat the irritation of the go go go people who just want to clear the level without people spending time looking around.

Was the last one tomes or art or something? We got it twice and found them all. They looked like a flat book on a table. They also take your #3 slot but you can swap them out temporarily to trade them around. So you also have to watch if you grab a medkit you leave it behind.

Is there rhyme or reason for when the mission ends after the assassination is complete? Once it ended within 5 seconds of the boss going down, usually we'd have a minute or two to mess around. I ask because someone was goofing around and got downed as a horde came in and we couldn't get him up before the fade to black. We got less reward for being a man down. I wasn't sure whether I should report it as a bug or send in feedback about it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Chaos Wastes mode really was a gamechanger specifically because it took away the need for grims/tomes and lets you gently caress around with builds that you might not have otherwise.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It was a free expansion, but it is vastly superior to running the exact same maps in the exact same way over and over again, I'm hoping the full release of darktide will be doing something similar, from what I'm reading of how the maps will generate it sounds very similar to DRG's system.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Broken Cog posted:

Playing this makes me wonder how nobody has managed to make a good replication of the Director in L4D, the AI responsible for changing the level and enemy/special spawns to make every playthrough of the level feel unique. It's been more than 10 years.

Left 4 Dead was way ahead of its time in a lot of ways, all things considered. The people who made it were basically sorcerers. If it had better post-launch developer support Ala TF2 / DOTA2 I'd probably still be playing it now.

https://youtu.be/EdRLNUGmFC8

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Left 4 Dead really was the best. L4D2 was solid too but we didn't play it as much.

Darktide will be a nice warmup for next year when Overwatch 2 coop PvE comes in after 15 years of development (starting with Project Titan) and completely revolutionizes the genre. /s

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

bagrada posted:

Is there rhyme or reason for when the mission ends after the assassination is complete? Once it ended within 5 seconds of the boss going down, usually we'd have a minute or two to mess around. I ask because someone was goofing around and got downed as a horde came in and we couldn't get him up before the fade to black. We got less reward for being a man down. I wasn't sure whether I should report it as a bug or send in feedback about it.

It doesn't mention it with an update but it seems like some other final phases it wants you to clear out the remaining waves that spawned during the battle before it will end the mission. If you time it right the last wave is down when the boss goes down, but sometimes it adds another wave afterwards.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I paid attention to this the final time I ran that mission and noticed it ended as soon as we killed the last remaining special, could have just been a coincidence.

Orv
May 4, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Kind of like how one never really uses the special ability as Veteran(as it is really wimpy) or your gun as Psyker(if you only had the revolver)

Rarely have I disagreed with a post so hard.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The revolver is hilariously strong and the veteran ability shatters specials like glass and highlights the rest of them for the team. As a psyker I was constantly running out of ammo from popping glowy special heads.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The revolver is fantastic as the Psyker.

It def feels weird initially considering how you are a magic caster but it fills a well needed niche. You can snipe off shooters from a distance when your peril is high, you can use to kill specials if your spell takes too long and other stuff.

Also landing headshots with it feels satisfying

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The veteran ability is great and I love how fast it comes back. It's almost cheating. You hear the sound of a special enemy, you hit F and it highlights them for the team. You can see where they are coming from through the walls, or easily headshot an enemy sniper or gunner through the haze of smoke and fire that sometimes springs up. It's why I wish you could change classes after matchmaking because when I get a group without a vet there will be times where we can't see poo poo and my team is getting picked apart by ranged and isn't smart enough to draw back behind cover. All I can do is spray and pray where it looks like the shots are coming from, or just let my team get chewed up until the air clears. I suppose if you are good and experienced enough at the game its not necessary, but it helps a lot at my skill level and playing with randos.

I'm badly torn between maining vet and ogryn at release, I enjoy them both. I think I have to go with ogryn though since my buddy is sticking with psyker.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like playing special hunters, but there's just something in my lizard brain that just loves smashing hordes. If I could get high and smash hordes all day every day, that's what I would do.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of hordes, was there any modifiers besides "Endless horde" active for the playtest? Couldn't see any whenever I checked, though I heard people talk about some sort of "lights out" mod

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of hordes, was there any modifiers besides "Endless horde" active for the playtest? Couldn't see any whenever I checked, though I heard people talk about some sort of "lights out" mod

Lights Out was the only other one AFAIK. All electrical lighting in the levels I played with it was out, with the exception of emergency lighting and the floodlights during the ascender event on the assassination mission. It was super cool but also a huge pain in the rear end. I hope they get raytracing running well cause I bet it’d be wild in those conditions with lasfire.

Also had a fun lights out run where five seconds into the map proper we got a plague ogryn and got completely annihilated.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Orv posted:

Rarely have I disagreed with a post so hard.

Yes, what a strange thing to say. Even if it IS wimpy, which it isn't, why wouldn't you use it literally every time a special appears.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Did anyone else get stuck in the elevator on the assassination mission? It happened to us twice on Sunday. The door you came in closes, there's a scan, then the lights go green and should open instantly, but if it bugs out the rear door closes then nothing happens. We've sat in there for 5+ minutes and it's funny when enemies start warping through the walls to attack you. Our psyker blew himself up spawning tied up ahead and saw the enemies still sitting around but the doors stayed shut. We had to quit out. I was able to report it the first time as the game crashed when I closed it, but I forgot the second as it was late and we wanted to get another game in.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

drrockso20 posted:

Can't be more wrong on both counts. The sharpshooter ability is literally Wallhacks and a damage boost with like a 40% uptime, and the revolver is the Vermintide handgun with 5 shots a reload. Both are absolutely amazing and demolish elites and specials.

If anything, the one ability I don't like is the ogryn one when compared to the zealot, but that's a relatively minor gripe in the grand scope of things. It's probably a failing of the beta, but the ogryn only having access to two melee and two ranged weapons was kind of a bummer. I hope he gets a bit more variety in the live game especially when you've got a fairly large pool of shared weapons between all the other characters. I want ogryn thunder hammer damnit. I don't care what the tech priest says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yeah veteran ability comes back so fast you use it almost on cooldown, its just a straight up increased zoom and damage boost, no reason not to. I'll use it to kill random small packs if theres nothing else around and with upgrades like ranged damage reduction it lets you stand there and methodically pick off dangerous ranged gun lines.

In general ults are less flashy than they were in vermintide but they are on a way shorter feeling cooldown so they are less, here is my nuke button, and more something you can use in most combat encounters.

On the train robbery I'd pop it to annihilate the first mauler with headshots and then sprint to the other side of the train, toss a grenade through the door and pull out the chainsword to rip the second maulers guts out, keeping them stunlocked while the rest of the team started unloading the boxes.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 17, 2022