Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Kanye West doesn't care about black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Has anyone been to the timeline where Kanye's insanity led him into a life of isolation and putting out really sick one man black metal albums? There's no way that that timeline is worse than the one that we're in. I think I would like to visit that timeline.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

MrQwerty posted:

I wonder what the exact % of active Parler users are dyed-in-the-wool racists that are going to flip poo poo and head to Gab once a black guy owns it.

I was on it for a little bit until the week before J6 spying on chuds and I'm gonna go ahead and estimate, "a lot"

I’d like to see Parler get taken over by crazy black guys who have been voting for Haile Selassie as a write in every year since his death in 1975.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Uh pretty sure it’s impossible to dunk on T-Swizzle as evidenced by this smilie :boom:

pretty sure that's wcw superstar Raven

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It was funny when Beck won that award and Kanye was gonna walk up and interrupt him but turned around and then Beck clowned on him a bit. And then Beck released Wow, a total pastiche on trap hip-hop with some lyrics I (am maybe reaching a bit but) can only interpret as "get help Kanye."

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Wasn't Beck a scientologist for a while?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I have strong suspicions that Ye and Owens are loving and I wouldn't be surprised if her husband knows and approves of it in the quest to be rid of Parler.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mister Speaker posted:

It was funny when Beck won that award and Kanye was gonna walk up and interrupt him but turned around and then Beck clowned on him a bit. And then Beck released Wow, a total pastiche on trap hip-hop with some lyrics I (am maybe reaching a bit but) can only interpret as "get help Kanye."

So Kanye was fine with bullying a white woman but the moment he tries to bully a white man, he chickens out? Sounds like he always considered white men to be superior to him.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mister Speaker posted:

Lol at getting clowned on by Beck. At least Ye’s got a couple good songs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was making a maximum neg play on Swift in the hope she'd notice him. Beck just wasn't sexy enough.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Wasn't Beck a scientologist for a while?

His parents are scientologists, so he grew up with it but he isn't a scientologist anymore, which seems like a very Beck thing to happen.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Extra Large Marge posted:

His parents are scientologists, so he grew up with it but he isn't a scientologist anymore, which seems like a very Beck thing to happen.

Yeah, he wasn't super-public about renouncing Scientology (just like he wasn't super-public about being one in the first place), but he has confirmed that he's left that cult.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Yaldabaoth posted:

A lot of the people in charge of our major institutions are boomers, so society eating itself is to be expected.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Jelly posted:

I have strong suspicions that Ye and Owens are loving and I wouldn't be surprised if her husband knows and approves of it in the quest to be rid of Parler.

if that's true lmao going from kim kardashian to candace owens

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, he wasn't super-public about renouncing Scientology (just like he wasn't super-public about being one in the first place), but he has confirmed that he's left that cult.

I'm a bit suspect of this because all he said in 2019 was "I think there's a misconception that I'm a Scientologist. I'm not a Scientologist. I don't have any connection or affiliation with it," which is strangely aggressive way to deny it when he outright called himself one 14 years earlier and it's well-known his parents were in for a long time (plus, people who actually divest themselves from the Church tend to have some things to say after leaving, it's rarely a cordial farewell). I think this might just be the Church's strategy lately, since the release of Going Clear and everything they've instructed some of their high-profile followers to disassociate; it's an open secret that Will Smith and his family are in but they've never outright admitted it.

Scilon or not, Beck is ten times the consummate artist that Kanye ever was. He might not have seen the limelight or wealth of a superstar rapper, but he's been around creating masterpieces since the mid-90s.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Jelly posted:

i don't think candace owens would be interested in a person of color

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm a bit suspect of this because all he said in 2019 was "I think there's a misconception that I'm a Scientologist. I'm not a Scientologist. I don't have any connection or affiliation with it," which is strangely aggressive way to deny it when he outright called himself one 14 years earlier and it's well-known his parents were in for a long time. I think this might just be the Church's strategy lately, since the release of Going Clear and everything they've instructed some of their high-profile followers to disassociate; it's an open secret that Will Smith and his family are in but they've never outright admitted it.

Scilon or not, Beck is ten times the consummate artist that Kanye ever was. He might not have seen the limelight or wealth of a superstar rapper, but he's been around creating masterpieces since the mid-90s.

Also, his ex-wife is still a Scientologist.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
How weird is it to be wearing a mouth guard all the time

A black one that says a word on it

That's a fashion thing?? I'm so not with it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He want to be a boxer, but his face too precious.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

lol. kanye is a whole lot of bad things but lmao at the thouight that beck is superior in any way artistically than kanye. i get that this thread is in gbs and it's a bunch of white people who don't listen to hip hop but c'mon now

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wait, I thought Kanye became popular in the first place because he made hip hop for sadsack white college nerd guys.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

no thats nom epique

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol. kanye is a whole lot of bad things but lmao at the thouight that beck is superior in any way artistically than kanye. i get that this thread is in gbs and it's a bunch of white people who don't listen to hip hop but c'mon now

I listen to plenty of hip-hop. It's time to stop qualifying criticism against Kanye with horseshit like "he's the greatest artist of a generation," like he was ever on some sort of untouchable pedestal. There are plenty of contemporary artists who are at least on his level, but Beck can play at least a dozen different instruments and was genre-bending and cutting beats together with MPCs five years before Kanye even started making music.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This is the weirdest place to reveal your some Beck Superfan.

No one cares my dude about that or Beck in general

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the only way we can measure artistry is sales figures, so i'm sorry to say that beck is simply not at all on ye's level as an artist

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Extra Large Marge posted:

Wait, I thought Kanye became popular in the first place because he made hip hop for sadsack white college nerd guys.

Who needed Kanye to do this when there's Eminem, a rapper who's literally white?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is the weirdest place to reveal your some Beck Superfan.

No one cares my dude about that or Beck in general

lol basically this

Bad Purchase posted:

the only way we can measure artistry is sales figures, so i'm sorry to say that beck is simply not at all on ye's level as an artist

popular and critical acclaim and also setting thwe standard style which other artists ape in search of coat tail popularity (enlightened ones call this clout chasing) multiple times over is a pretty good metric tho

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Beck is a weirdo, but he isn't an anti-semitic weirdo (as far as I know).

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
commercial success is inversely proportional to artistic merit

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I got athlete's foot showering at Beck's.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
kanye has indeed created more listenable music than beck

this is damning with the faintest of praise

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah I may be a Beck fan but I'm not the one defending an antisemite stalker piece of trash who hasn't produced anything good since 2013.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Who brought up sales numbers, I can’t tell you how many albums Kanye sold but I can tell you how important he’s seen as in the scene.

If we went by sales then I think Drake would be the best and no one wants that

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i don't think anyone is defendinfg kanye, the insane anti-semite

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

i don't think anyone is defendinfg kanye, the insane anti-semite

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

popular and critical acclaim and also setting thwe standard style which other artists ape in search of coat tail popularity (enlightened ones call this clout chasing) multiple times over is a pretty good metric tho

so true, popularity and quality are inseparable

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who brought up sales numbers, I can’t tell you how many albums Kanye sold but I can tell you how important he’s seen as in the scene.

If we went by sales then I think Drake would be the best and no one wants that

anyone who brings up sales numbers as an argument for/against someone/something's artistic merit needs to take a step back. touch grass, as the whippersnappers call it, I believe

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

so true, popularity and quality are inseparable

his record label is literally called GOOD music. you think he'd name it that if it wasn't? it's so obvious

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Drake has never made a song that is as good as Steal My Sunshine by rap legends Len.

And that's a fact.

this is a robbery.

gimme all ur sunshine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We know this is true, because all the best musicians do jazz.