Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Yet I can't get a measly $10k to replace my vintage appliances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

some plague rats posted:

absolutely malding

don't misgender me please

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bebop esq posted:

gently caress off to your other lil thread

turn on your monitor

sorry, what about the UKMT's charity report is a problem?

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

pentyne posted:

sorry, what about the UKMT's charity report is a problem?

why are you even posting here? if you actually care and want to help go post in the new thread about creating a transparent fund.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Plinkey posted:

um it's jeff's lawyer so they kinda knew what was going on

e: basically i have a bunch of paperwork to fill out/read later today, need to set up a PO Box and some other admin poo poo, but I should be able to file as a PA 501-3(c) by the end of the month, then get a board together, write some bylaws and poo poo and find an accountant

What happened with this? Are there any problems with setting up a charity that aren't widely known? What were the costs going to be if it was too expensive?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

What happened with this? Are there any problems with setting up a charity that aren't widely known? What were the costs going to be if it was too expensive?

Azathoth posted:

I am going to be as clear as I can about this. If you post again in this thread for the next week, you're gonna get a 24 hour probe for every post you make. If that doesn't work, I will step up to longer probes. You need to leave this thread immediately.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

? That's a quote from a different thread.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Plinkey, you running into the other thread and being a surly rear end in a top hat then coming back here and trying to use my warning in a different thread to evade accountability in your own thread is really not helping your case. Also, that post only applied to the other thread, not this one. You should be answering people's legitimate questions.

Folks in this thread, this fund has done a lot of good, I would ask folks who have legitimate things they would like Plinkey to answer to post them here and leave the shitposting out of it. There's reasonable things to hold Plinkey accountable for and people who need help from his fund. Please don't interfere with either of those things.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Azathoth posted:

Plinkey, you running into the other thread and being a surly rear end in a top hat then coming back here and trying to use my warning in a different thread to evade accountability in your own thread is really not helping your case. Also, that post only applied to the other thread, not this one. You should be answering people's legitimate questions.

Folks in this thread, this fund has done a lot of good, I would ask folks who have legitimate things they would like Plinkey to answer to post them here and leave the shitposting out of it. There's reasonable things to hold Plinkey accountable for and people who need help from his fund. Please don't interfere with either of those things.

You do know people keep calling him a degenerate gambler and other personal insults and nothing has happened to them right?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Plinkey is right to be mad, he's had a whole mountain of poo poo piled on him and been dragged through the dirt across the forums with people making all kinds of made up claims that are then just accepted as true instead of as the baseless accusations they are. I was a day 1 supporter of the fund and have continued to support it to this very day, it's wild that the whole thing just got soft taken down by people "concerned" about "transparency" who are now talking themselves up to the unfortunate necessity of keeping all the personal info on recipients despite not even having something anybody can donate to yet.

Plinkey I'm sorry, this sucks but you did great work that apparently fewer people appreciated than I had thought. Once the ideas guys get bored of the idea of a new fund and move on or end up not agreeing on anything I hope this one still exists for anybody who needs it. Furious at myself at my step away from SA and modding coinciding with all this and I only found out from an already locked QCS thread.

Azathoth posted:

No accusation against him has even been substantiated beyond the people making them not being punished, what questions are left to ask? New fund doesn't want anything to do with this one beyond its donor rolls, interference isn't even possible. I hope they're prepared for the standing committee or whatever to come under the microscope of bored QCS goons on a weekend and it turns out they're all probable embezzlers with drug problems.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You do know people keep calling him a degenerate gambler and other personal insults and nothing has happened to them right?

Azathoth, i would like you to answer to this, it's a personal attack on me and what i've done for almost 4 years

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm now donating to the fund out of spite for QCS

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

The personal attacks on Plinkey are wrong, and didn't help the situation.

That said, there are very simple steps that could greatly improve the oversight/accountability around the funds money.

I was really pleased to hear you are implementing a monthly public spreadsheet - tbh, that solves about 99% of issues that have been raised.

You can't raise tens of thousands of dollars and not expect questions to be asked. That comes with the territory unfortunately.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Plinkey posted:

Azathoth, i would like you to answer to this, it's a personal attack on me and what i've done for almost 4 years

My dude, operate a charity fund where you specifically treat anyone asking for accountability with sneering contempt. If you're not going to make even the barest minimum effort to not look shady as hell, you shouldn't be surprised when people assume the worst about you.

Either address the legitimate calls for reasonable transparency, something with another fund on this website operated the same way manages, and which a second fund (whose thread you decided to poo poo on this morning) is trying to do, or deal with people calling your character into question. Simple as.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

My dude, operate a charity fund where you specifically treat anyone asking for accountability with sneering contempt. If you're not going to make even the barest minimum effort to not look shady as hell, you shouldn't be surprised when people assume the worst about you.

Either address the legitimate calls for reasonable transparency, something with another fund on this website operated the same way manages, and which a second fund (whose thread you decided to poo poo on this morning) is trying to do, or deal with people calling your character into question. Simple as.

If you look at the most recent post in the other thread, it's starting to seem like if plinkey wanted to run this like the UK fund (e.g., above the board) he'd need at least 1 full time certified accountant to keep it straight.

Even just skimming the IRS documents make me feel pretty drat certain that other fund is not gonna be able to get off the ground without money coming in to bootstrap the organizational infrastructure.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Azathoth posted:

my dude, do you really think any of this was brought up in good faith?

the damage is already done. the other fund is already working themselves to accept 20% overhead--huh, that's the patreon cut that's unacceptable here.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you look at the most recent post in the other thread, it's starting to seem like if plinkey wanted to run this like the UK fund (e.g., above the board) he'd need at least 1 full time certified accountant to keep it straight.

Even just skimming the IRS documents make me feel pretty drat certain that other fund is not gonna be able to get off the ground without money coming in to bootstrap the organizational infrastructure.

Then he needs to figure out a way to have basic accountability without that. There's plenty of mutual aid funds, food shelves, and other small charitable projects that can and do make it work with funds at or below what he takes in. He's been offered help from multiple people on this front, he should take any one of those people up on it.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Azathoth posted:

plinky stoped posting in that thread after you laid down the law. I do not think the people who came into this thread today are arguing in good faith.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

redneck nazgul posted:

my dude, do you really think any of this was brought up in good faith?

the damage is already done. the other fund is already working themselves to accept 20% overhead--huh, that's the patreon cut that's unacceptable here.

Nothing that happens in QCS is in good faith

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

The flipside of that means that the fund - as it stands - may be operating illegally and exposing Plinkey to a huge personal tax liability.

In previous posts, he has claimed he has been paying this on his personal taxes? It would be good to confirm if that's the case.

Even if it takes a bit more work (though I doubt it's the work of a full time accountant beyond the initial setup), it might be worth doing this properly to safeguard future of the fund? Otherwise, the whole thing could come crashing down when the IRS comes knocking - which it may very well do once Patreon starts reporting earnings directly.

You can't raise this amount of money without some organisational headache. That's the reality of the world we live in.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It would be easier to accept the criticisms of Plinkey if some posters weren't breathlessly running back and forth from this thread to PYF to shout "MODS APPROVE OF SCAMMING GOONS C-SPAM ARE A BUNCH OF STUPID TANKIE RUBES PLINKEY IS DEFINITELY WASTING ALL THE MONEY ON GOLDBELLY"

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

1stGear posted:

It would be easier to accept the criticisms of Plinkey if some posters weren't breathlessly running back and forth from this thread to PYF to shout "MODS APPROVE OF SCAMMING GOONS C-SPAM ARE A BUNCH OF STUPID TANKIE RUBES PLINKEY IS DEFINITELY WASTING ALL THE MONEY ON GOLDBELLY"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

City Slicker posted:

The flipside of that means that the fund - as it stands - may be operating illegally and exposing Plinkey to a huge personal tax liability.

In previous posts, he has claimed he has been paying this on his personal taxes? It would be good to confirm if that's the case.

Even if it takes a bit more work (though I doubt it's the work of a full time accountant beyond the initial setup), it might be worth doing this properly to safeguard future of the fund? Otherwise, the whole thing could come crashing down when the IRS comes knocking - which it may very well do once Patreon starts reporting earnings directly.

He's claiming it as income and probably just disbursing the money through whatever digital means as a gift. That gets him past the distribution tracking and uncle sam doesn't give a poo poo because he's getting his beak wet.

Doing poo poo tax-free is not surprisingly more onerous for everyone involved.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Azathoth posted:

Then he needs to figure out a way to have basic accountability without that. There's plenty of mutual aid funds, food shelves, and other small charitable projects that can and do make it work with funds at or below what he takes in. He's been offered help from multiple people on this front, he should take any one of those people up on it.

I have no dog in this fight but even something as basic as this is how much we took in, and this it how much was used each month would be really good to see.

Literally anything other than being told to gently caress off anytime you ask a question. If you look at the first couple of pages, someone asks about transparency and immediately people jump on them. They even got probed for trolling this thread, despite it being a reasonable request.

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

He's claiming it as income and probably just disbursing the money through whatever digital means as a gift. That gets him past the distribution tracking and uncle sam doesn't give a poo poo because he's getting his beak wet.

Doing poo poo tax-free is not surprisingly more onerous for everyone involved.

Fair play. If he's been personally paying thousands of his own money in tax bills for the sake of this fund, he deserves some genuine credit for that.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Plinkey posted:

i talked to Jeff, next month I'll post a public spreadsheet

it feels weird that plinkey posted this like an hour ago and then everyone keeps saying he's continuing to refuse to address the concerns people have about transparency

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Schir posted:

it feels weird that plinkey posted this like an hour ago and then everyone keeps saying he's continuing to refuse to address the concerns people have about transparency

I think it might have gotten lost in all the yelling

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Schir posted:

Also not cool that Az is perpetuating insinuations with the authority of his position in spite of that

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Plinkey is right to be mad, he's had a whole mountain of poo poo piled on him and been dragged through the dirt across the forums with people making all kinds of made up claims that are then just accepted as true instead of as the baseless accusations they are. I was a day 1 supporter of the fund and have continued to support it to this very day, it's wild that the whole thing just got soft taken down by people "concerned" about "transparency" who are now talking themselves up to the unfortunate necessity of keeping all the personal info on recipients despite not even having something anybody can donate to yet.

Plinkey I'm sorry, this sucks but you did great work that apparently fewer people appreciated than I had thought. Once the ideas guys get bored of the idea of a new fund and move on or end up not agreeing on anything I hope this one still exists for anybody who needs it. Furious at myself at my step away from SA and modding coinciding with all this and I only found out from an already locked QCS thread.

No accusation against him has even been substantiated beyond the people making them not being punished, what questions are left to ask? New fund doesn't want anything to do with this one beyond its donor rolls, interference isn't even possible. I hope they're prepared for the standing committee or whatever to come under the microscope of bored QCS goons on a weekend and it turns out they're all probable embezzlers with drug problems.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Schir posted:

that would interfere with the fun poo poo stirring

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Also not cool that Az is perpetuating insinuations with the authority of his position in spite of that

It will be good and do a lot to address concerns when he does that. I hope he follows through with that and doesn't just not do it, like when he said he was gonna set up as a proper charity a couple years ago and then didn't do that.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Azathoth posted:

It'd be a lot easier for things to cool down if an Admin wasn't condoning and calling for unsubstantiated personal attacks against a specific poster. Plinkey literally came back after all of this had happened and has spent posts after that addressing peoples concerns, with remarkable constraint considering the harassment you've personally supported.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Azathoth posted:

They are not legitimate calls. Its liberal, hand wringing, nonsense.

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

Azathoth posted:

It will be good and do a lot to address concerns when he does that. I hope he follows through with that and doesn't just not do it, like when he said he was gonna set up as a proper charity a couple years ago and then didn't do that.

He did state multiple times (I think) that he talked to a lawyer about setting up a charity and was told it was basically not worth it since the donations would be considered "gifts" under a certain amount. Plinkey can clarify further of course.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Azathoth posted:

He said he looked into it and it would take up a ton of time and money.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Azathoth posted:

Who cares you loving nerd

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

VideoKid posted:

He said he looked into it and it would take up a ton of time and money.

lol

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zeron posted:

It'd be a lot easier for things to cool down if an Admin wasn't condoning and calling for unsubstantiated personal attacks against a specific poster. Plinkey literally came back after all of this had happened and has spent posts after that addressing peoples concerns, with remarkable constraint considering the harassment you've personally supported.

He decided to go into the other fund's thread and poo poo it up. He then came into this thread and tried to use my post over there to evade answering a question here. I haven't seen anything but a promise that in a couple weeks he will do something, which is outweighed by his actions specifically today.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Azathoth posted:

just permaban him for being a scammer already, you've already made up your mind that he's a bad dude. a bunch of people who used the goon fund will probably get screwed but, hey, QCS was just really concerned that some poor goons might have gotten bamboozled when they weren't laughing at the idea of goons being bamboozled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

bebop esq posted:

He did state multiple times (I think) that he talked to a lawyer about setting up a charity and was told it was basically not worth it since the donations would be considered "gifts" under a certain amount. Plinkey can clarify further of course.

I've looked into setting up a 501(c)(3) before and I would very much like him to detail why the fund is hard to set up because I'm not seeing it. There's numerous platforms that will do all the reporting stuff for less than Patreon is taking, and offer accountability and all I've heard back is vague "it would be too hard".