Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Laughing Zealot posted:

Not from the UK but hasn't the country been in austerity mode for more than a decade at this point?

Tarnop posted:

Yes. Boris pretended it was over for a bit but predictably most of the promised spending (40 hospitals) was lies or reannouncing budget allocation from years ago

Don't forget pretending to 'level up' towns and areas.
In reality giving less money and proclaiming they are now better off.

237: Room 237 in The Shining has a sexy ghost in it. Go on, go on in.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/wefail/status/1582035964385714176

e: oops, meant to post this:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1582039734846574592

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I can't wait for Labour to exceed all expectations again and somehow still end up being behind the tories

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Even in a fantasy near-wipeout of the Conservatives my constituency is still blue :sigh:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Rarity posted:

Keep going she's almost there

UNF :fap:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lib Dem Fightback :supaburn:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Maugrim posted:

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund "Monthly" Report, September 2022 :siren:

Thanks. :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

BalloonFish posted:

Even in a fantasy near-wipeout of the Conservatives my constituency is still blue :sigh:

Mine would go to the LDs

I honestly don't know which is worse

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mmmmmm, if Paul “fascist lickspittle” Scully gets booted out of Sutton and Cheam I might buy up all the prosecco in Waitrose

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1582051924144140292

loving LOL

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 'natural two parties of government' going from Tory/Whig > Conservative/Liberal > Conservative/Labour > Labour/LibDem or SNP with the tories relegated to the "but we have ideas too" party would be a hell of a thing to see, even if it probably does just see Labour filling in a One Nation kind of role.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

This is way way more serious than it looks

I am in fact now currently studying criminology and history at the open university (because I would rather eat nails than continue in social care), one of the absolute inescapable core tenets of criminology and policing, and it's pretty much been set in stone since 1926 by iirc John Rathbone Oliver, is that "common sense" should never ever be used anywhere near policing, the study of policing, or the law. It's pretty much day one poo poo, "this is how to avoid plagurism, and this is why "common sense" is truly terrible for police and the courts."

the fact that the actual home secretary chose to use that language in an attempt to berate "the woke" is truly dystopian. If you allow "common sense" into the law then you allow preconceived ideas and stereotypes, it has been proven time and time again in the courts that what people believe to be "common sense" from a legal perspective is meaningless and usually is coming from someone who has a strong bias and no facts.

She just let all the worst police officers off the leash, it was actual permission for stop and search for example. "why you stopping me?" "we got told to use common sense" and that is why police have been told to avoid common sense since the 1920s.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

happyhippy posted:

Don't forget pretending to 'level up' towns and areas.
In reality giving less money and proclaiming they are now better off.

237: Room 237 in The Shining has a sexy ghost in it. Go on, go on in.

Levelling up was a great success for Boris, because it cost no money and in return Labour have appointed a shadow secretary for levelling up and have completely embraced both the terminology and the framing. I scrolled down to the comments section of a Guardian article earlier (I know I know) and saw multiple commenters using the phrase in earnest and not as a criticism. Total victory.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Has anyone shopped a drunk gloating Starmer over this yet?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
My ex used to call it "levelling up" when she was talking about going from friends to FWB and now I can't take that phrase seriously

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

learnincurve posted:

the fact that the actual home secretary chose to use that language in an attempt to berate "the woke" is truly dystopian. If you allow "common sense" into the law then you allow preconceived ideas and stereotypes, it has been proven time and time again in the courts that what people believe to be "common sense" from a legal perspective is meaningless and usually is coming from someone who has a strong bias and no facts.

Sounds like she's using it correctly, since that's what she wants

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

My ex used to call it "levelling up" when she was talking about going from friends to FWB and now I can't take that phrase seriously

If anything, you're taking the phrase slightly more seriously than it warrants in this context.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

sebzilla posted:

Small point of order in that you'd probably want a JOIN rather than a UNION to connect your phone numbers to your Customers (union just drops one table's rows after the other in your results, join allows you to specify which criteria to match up (in this case the Customer ID) and also what to do about records that don't match up etc.)

Otherwise a very nice write-up WhatEvil

Ah yeah, right you are. I've edited it so it should be closer now but it's probably still wrong :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a great post

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Recovering well it seems

https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1582071055081910272

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Cool cool cool
https://twitter.com/financialtimes/status/1582068960312561665?s=46&t=iXjBLhQJCcFMRv7w1bvRAg

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a great post

Thanks bud :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Halisnacks posted:

I don’t know how my hedged statement where I acknowledge there will probably be some horrible catch really shows my love for means testing. I just don’t love transfers of public funds to the rich.

Yeah, and this will be the catch.

But could there not be some light-touch, imperfect way to exclude people at the very top of the income distribution from receiving it? Like a presumption that “you are eligible unless” rather than “you are not eligible unless”. E.g. taxpayers who pay 40% on any of their income, or, if too many deserving will slip through the cracks that way and we want to be even more risk averse, those who pay 45% on any of their income?

Imagine the same concept applied to universal healthcare, and what it would lead to.

Universalization has benefits that very frequently outweigh the amount of money you could recoup by trying to find reasons to exclude people who very very definitely don't need the help.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

WhatEvil posted:

Skip this post if you don't care about databases - but it should help understand what a database is and how it's different to a spreadsheet.

So I don't think anybody really answered this? There were a few joke answers.

It sounds like you have it sort of right re: "a sort of multi-dimensional spreadsheet" but there's a bit more to it than that.

The easiest way to think about it is that in a spreadsheet, you infer relationships between atomic pieces of data based on their positional relationships within the sheet - so you may have a row of the sheet for a customer's details and in cell 1 you have their name, cell 2 you have their address, cell 3 is phone number, etc. and maybe somewhere you have formulas where cells reference other cells to bring data together, or you use pivot tables etc.

There's a lot more to it that I haven't gotten into here (like many-to-many relationships, where e.g. a book may have many authors but an author may have written many books, which is also possible to model in a DB and basically impossible in a spreadsheet) but that's the gist of it. It's a relational database because the structure is all about the relation of one piece of data to another piece of data, and that allows you to do cool things that aren't really possible with spreadsheets, because the relations within spreadsheets are only ever defined in terms to their relative positions on the sheet.

The SQL stuff is actually quite easy to learn. This website is excellent: https://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_union.asp

Thanks very much for the explanation! I've flirted with coding a wee bit, but the way you described the interlocking systems and logic of it sounds interesting. I used that w3 school before to learn html to implement into this awful sharepoint site for a large government body that was basically held together with hope, so maybe SQL should be the next thing I have a crack at - ta

I had a look on twitter and apparently now it just shows deleted tweets, which seems good

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bit of a lovely post for the FT this tbh. The actual quotes in the article are pretty clear that it’s worst case scenario, everything that can go wrong does go wrong planning but I doubt most people can access those behind the paywall and just get the dramatic headline that suggests blackouts are likely.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Plymouth_Live/status/1582082768141533197

:allears:

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

:laffo:

It's like when you're in school and you try to blag being late by saying you were talking to the headteacher, and have everyone turn around and say "actually the head's been in here addressing the class"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Oh no. What a dreadful shame. Too bad

https://twitter.com/nadinedorries/status/1582054906436804625?s=46&t=Al0u8KlpCOPmglhikkYSrQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Loving your fully Jokerfied PM, that's sick

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mumblyfish posted:

This is probably real cheeky, but CRMs have been on my mind lately and I do need advice, and Reddit/Stack Overflow just ain't cutting it. Please help, I'm in the public sector, am spending public money, and I need a CRM that's better than insane Excel spreadsheets. We do good work, but are stifled by crap IT, lack of knowledge, and fear of anything not bought from a huge corporation. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look into, or even some cautionary tales to stay the hell away from certain things?

At a bare minimum it needs to handle a fairly complex account system that would be best stored as a relational database (users have many accounts that belong to many groups and all need many status flags), send pre-set emails with mail merge based on search criteria, read data directly from web forms, and ideally machine-read uploaded documents. I'm a decent C#/Python developer so I can handle something that's code-based, within reason. Is there *anything* on the market that can handle this, ideally out-of-the-box?

At the moment I've built a fairly nifty spreadsheet that can read returned DOCX/PDF files to auto-populate the "database" and send emails with one click, but it's still loving Excel and only one person can modify it at a time and I'm not allowed to even think about setting up a database or doing something a manager can't understand. There has to be a better way to do this.

This is kinda what I'm afraid of. I don't want to recommend getting Salesforce if it won't bring anything new to the table, since it'd be public money being spaffed up the wall. Is making a stupidly overcomplicated Excel file that reads/writes to a database really the best solution, if I can get someone in charge to agree that SQL isn't the devil's work?

I'm probably not the person to ask re a CRM because I had very little involvement in choosing Salesforce, that was done before I started working there and I've never really looked in to them. As a charity, we get SF for free (with limited number of licences) which was a big part of the decision.

The other thing is, we use xero for our accounts and I am fending off all attempts by the trustees to get us to link xero to SF because they'll want to do it on the cheap and kinda expect me to do it out of my paltry hours which they are extremely unwilling to pay for me to do more and I've made it absolutely clear that if they want to go that route they are going to have to (a) pay for a linking package and (b) pay for someone to do it.

I'm intrigued how your spreadsheet can read DOCX/PDF files. How do you do that? (PM me if you want rather than clutter up the thread).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1582100367298285570

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'controversial' is now everything from having made a few off jokes about the powerful a decade ago to being a war criminal.

Controversial Austrian postcard artist.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Did you hear about that controversial Austrian painter in the 1930's? He created quite a shenanigans.

On the subject of shenanigans:

https://twitter.com/Tony_Robinson/status/1581992506379554816

"shenanigans"
:allears:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I watched some of his walking through history stuff on Sky and he's gone full melty "the wokes won't let you" I'm afraid

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Did you hear about that controversial Austrian painter in the 1930's? He created quite a shenanigans.

He was just being a bit political in WW2. Nothing to it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
oh now this is a cheerful thought so I'm going to share it.

imagine how dreadful all of this must be making Gove feel

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
why?

probably just off his tits somewhere

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

'controversial' is now everything from having made a few off jokes about the powerful a decade ago to being a war criminal.

Controversial Austrian postcard artist.

I read this as "podcast" artist

Er Ist Wieder Da 2 - Diesmal mit Spotify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Archive (non-paywall) version of article:

https://archive.ph/6mM2X