Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

I got the tude now posted:

he's smarter than you

Ahahahahahahahahaha oh my god this is amazing. Do you feel like someone's intelligence is important for their value as a person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ButterSkeleton posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha oh my god this is amazing. Do you feel like someone's intelligence is important for their value as a person

... is your winning strategy admitting you're retarded

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i'm really only perusing this arguement, is there any real disadvantage to moving towards a model that resembles the UK goon fund? if anything i'd love to see the fund grow in size, and i've seen testimonials of people being outright ignored.

potential disclosure requirements (increasing the bar recipients need to climb over to get $) and location of the recipients would be the two main ones. maybe they’re easy to overcome, I don’t know. Having everything go through a single person here also has disadvantages outside of the trust issue, so there are good arguments for another model. i just don’t think it’s a slam dunk better solution.

like the idea of moving off patreon. yeah some other processes may take less money, but if you get less money because the process for donating is harder, what did you gain exactly?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
So... I think this might be my first post in this section of the SA forums, but I keep hearing about the hubbub over this in other places and there is something I'd like to say about it.

My understanding of this is that there is a fund here for people who are in difficult RL circumstances, and that they can come to this thread to ask for help from those who are generous enough to give it. This seems perfectly reasonable to me. Then... I guess someone make a comment about gambling and now people are going nutty thinking that people come into this thread are actually asking for funds to fuel their gambling addiction and not to get real help? That this whole project needs to be intensely supervised or shut down to prevent these potential "abuses" from occuring?

Let me lay this out in simple terms: If you need help, you ask. If you are willing to offer help, do so. If you do not want to offer help or are concerned your help might be misused, don't. This does not have to be complicated. Granted some people might abuse other people's kindness, but that is the cost of being a generous person. Sometimes the people you help are shitheads. It sucks when it happens, but more often than not the person you are helping truly did need it and they are very grateful for the help. As for those of you who jumped into this but never have or intended to use your money to help people... why do you care? Why do any of you care? This has nothing to do with you. It's not your money being potentially misused by some jackass, and it certainly isn't your money helping other people who actually need it. Are you just here to fight?

To this outside observer, this all seems rather absurd to me. It certainly isn't worth creating such a big stink that unrelated people like me actually decided to take time out of their day to jump into the fray just to express how ridiculous it all is.

Yureina has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Oct 17, 2022

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

im tired of talking about this because i know no matter what goons will keep donating to the shady goon who refuses to answer questions and gets hostile when asked simple questions out of spite but all people want is some transparency about the money and who it is going to and what it is being used for no one wants to dox anyone
Yeah, but the hardcore plinkey sycophants might not be representative of everyone donating. We don't know how many goons currently give to the fund because they want to help other posters, but do so under some duress as they feel uncomfortable with how the fund is structured. In the last two days, since this has all blown up, the patreon has already gone down $300.00, and I don't doubt that there are more goons currently giving who in the coming weeks will also decide to drop off from this cause in order to divert it to the more transparent fund.

We also do not know how many goons there are in this forum who WOULD currently be donating to the fund if it was organized properly. Its quite possible that the new thread will bring in more money than this one.

Setting this poo poo up properly will help more people and anyone saying otherwise is totally bonkers

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

1stGear posted:

Man, I wonder why no one in C-SPAM thinks the QCS Brigade is posting in good faith.

people are sincerely trying to help you guys set up a mutual aid fund that can both get you more money for needy goons and show that goons are actually receving the money and you keep insulting them for it lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i'm really only perusing this arguement, is there any real disadvantage to moving towards a model that resembles the UK goon fund? if anything i'd love to see the fund grow in size, and i've seen testimonials of people being outright ignored.

sweet go help set it up

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Yeah, but the hardcore plinkey sycophants might not be representative of everyone donating. We don't know how many goons currently give to the fund because they want to help other posters, but do so under some duress as they feel uncomfortable with how the fund is structured. In the last two days, since this has all blown up, the patreon has already gone down $300.00, and I don't doubt that there are more goons currently giving who in the coming weeks will also decide to drop off from this cause in order to divert it to the more transparent fund.

That's 300 dollars less to help people until someone can loving prove that Plinkey is skimming off the top.

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

We also do not know how many goons there are in this forum who WOULD currently be donating to the fund if it was organized properly. Its quite possible that the new thread will bring in more money than this one.

Setting this poo poo up properly will help more people and anyone saying otherwise is totally bonkers

or plinkey could just keep on keepin on instead of everything splitting into 2 funds

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

potential disclosure requirements (increasing the bar recipients need to climb over to get $) and location of the recipients would be the two main ones. maybe they’re easy to overcome, I don’t know. Having everything go through a single person here also has disadvantages outside of the trust issue, so there are good arguments for another model. i just don’t think it’s a slam dunk better solution.

like the idea of moving off patreon. yeah some other processes may take less money, but if you get less money because the process for donating is harder, what did you gain exactly?

these are good points i hand't considered. it's not my area of expertise but the response to calls for scrutiny is truly confusing.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you dont know poo poo is what yo'ure saying

what i know

a list, by gene hackman fan, age 17:

• dude runs a fund to kick a couple of bucks to goons who need help.
  • dude who runs it is a goon.
  • you are the kind of piece of poo poo bill murray would call dickless.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CODChimera posted:

sweet go help set it up

like this moronn

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

what i know

a list, by gene hackman fan, age 17:

• dude runs a fund to kick a couple of bucks to goons who need help.
  • dude who runs it is a goon.
  • you are the kind of rear end in a top hat bill murray would call dickless.

you're clearly forty lol

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

you’ve misunderstood

the issue is that the person who controls the fund and receives all of the donations - before they are disbursed - has a history of gambling

that doesn’t mean he is stealing, but the fund currently has zero accountability so nobody knows whether he is or not

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drat it's crazy how there are so many of you that genuinely want to help out, really looking forward to what you can achieve

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

people are sincerely

Right

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
az, i love you, i swear to god i do, but you really need to come and get your trash.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

weird how looking out for fellow goons so often involves going into their threads to laugh at them

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 64 days!
to be clear, the reason i think plinkey is skimming is because i would

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

City Slicker posted:

you’ve misunderstood

the issue is that the person who controls the fund and receives all of the donations - before they are disbursed - has a history of gambling

that doesn’t mean he is stealing, but the fund currently has zero accountability so nobody knows whether he is or not

i have a problem with this. painting someone as untrustworthy because they gamble is baseless and undermining the confidence of the fund for no benefit. you can call for scrutiny just based on the fact that handling a lot of money going in and coming from a lot of different directions is very difficult, some people do it as a full time job even.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Even the well-meaning UK goons are from a country that is not explicitly designed to make tax exempt charity drat near impossible

The US wants its share
and it wants to make sure it's getting its share
if you're not an actual accountant you don't know how the gently caress hard it is to set up a charitable organization in a country where operating with 25% going to overhead expenses is considered a best case scenario

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

City Slicker posted:

you’ve misunderstood

man, if only a good number of people making this an issue didn't treat that as hard proof

apparently waiting a month for Jeff to recieve and review the records that plinkey has agreed to send is a bridge to far for some

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

croup coughfield posted:

that's probably the mindset of a lot of these drama goons lmao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CODChimera posted:

drat it's crazy how there are so many of you that genuinely want to help out, really looking forward to what you can achieve

your complacence is disgusting.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Even the well-meaning UK goons are from a country that is not explicitly designed to make tax exempt charity drat near impossible

The US wants its share
if you're not an actual accountant you don't know how the gently caress hard it is to set up a charitable organization in a country where operating with 25% going to overhead expenses is considered a best case scenario

provide more detail then.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'd be more concerned if u drama goons were complimenting me

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

City Slicker posted:

you’ve misunderstood

I understand some of the issues with having a single person be responsible for everything but “having a history of gambling” is so stupid loving poo poo to bring up. Nothing Plinky has ever posted has indicated that he can’t keep his personal finances separate from the goon funds. It doesn’t loving matter how he spends his own loving money.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CODChimera posted:

I'd be more concerned if u drama goons were complimenting me

what level of concern would not be dramatic in your eyes? i'm being sincere when i say i think the fund is a good thing.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The US wants its share

between the 20% patreon cut and taxes supposedly being paid on this stuff by accepting 36k in additional income, 25% of donations going ot operating expenses would be an improvement i think

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

croup coughfield posted:

nice way to hang your rear end out to dry

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i have so much dirt on plinkey you wouldn't believe. i still think he's doing good for people.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

i'm glad you have been helped, but responsibility is important when dealing with large sums of money.

Ok I don't give a poo poo if this is trolling or whatever but you're a reprehensible person, should be banned for this post alone, and I hope the next time you're dependent on help from someone else that they treat you just as callously.

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

between the 20% patreon cut and taxes supposedly being paid on this stuff by accepting 36k in additional income, 25% of donations going ot operating expenses would be an improvement i think

cool, so before you get to a stable operating cost you also have to front several thousand to lawyers and accountants to get started
so who's paying that, should that come from a different fund than the aid fund do you reckon

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what level of concern would not be dramatic in your eyes? i'm being sincere when i say i think the fund is a good thing.

it's a bad thing tho

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Homeless Friend posted:

lets face it when plinkey start getting trashed you let the feelings foster, its a flamewar now bucko. seeing respective goons showing concern about something that was present for 4 years but they didn't know about is pretty funny. like I get all the separate sides, but really funny seeing people be like "look plinkster, this aint a personal attack but" in the plinkey is a degenerate gambler thread lol. Honestly, you should just not have this or the other thread for discussion and have some royal rumble thread.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
need a multi point business plan and incorporated in a delaware p.o. box before you're allowed to help people. sorry but those are the rules of our modern society.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ok I don't give a poo poo if this is trolling or whatever but you're a reprehensible person, should be banned for this post alone, and I hope the next time you're dependent on help from someone else that they treat you just as callously.

how am i trolling? i'm glad the fund is helping people but it's big enough that freewheeling is irresponsible at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 64 days!

CODChimera posted:

that's probably the mindset of a lot of these drama goons lmao

ill be real with you man: i dont think this is just people stirring up drama for fun. i think they're legit concerned about potential corruption and have some perfectly normal reasons for being so. i just think its stupid to get heated over this particular issue and people should leave well enough alone