Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah might have adjusted expectations to more like 8-10 wins.

I said this before but my expectation is over 500 now. So 9. Anything more than that is gravy and anything less is slightly disappointing depending on how many less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't think anyone's being unreasonable, but the Jets are currently favored in only 3 of their upcoming 11 games.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

I don't think anyone's being unreasonable, but the Jets are currently favored in only 3 of their upcoming 11 games.

They are 4-2 and they have been dogs in every game. Who cares?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

They were preseason dogs in literally every game on their schedule. Clearly the betting public has been wrong about the team.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

mcmagic posted:

They are 4-2 and they have been dogs in every game. Who cares?

i don't think it's to take anything away from what the jets have done, but if you're setting a bar for wins i think you gotta look at the spreads a bit

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

stuker posted:

i don't think it's to take anything away from what the jets have done, but if you're setting a bar for wins i think you gotta look at the spreads a bit

According to the betting markets the Jets are the 14th best team in the AFC. The Bucs are the 2nd best team in the NFC.

Clearly there are some market inefficiencies.

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1582032463936688128

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Before the season the Jets were dogs in every game this season I believe. Do you think we would've been understanding if they went 0-17? I don't think looking at lines is super helpful.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mcmagic posted:

I said this before but my expectation is over 500 now. So 9. Anything more than that is gravy and anything less is slightly disappointing depending on how many less.

You promise if they win next week your expectation won't be 10 wins?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

According to the betting markets the Jets are the 14th best team in the AFC. The Bucs are the 2nd best team in the NFC.

fair enough, i mean falcons being 6-0 ATS and right next to y'all seems to imply similarly

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Diva Cupcake posted:

I don’t buy the Pats being that high. I think the Jets can beat them. But I’m far from impartial.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Just watched a bit of that Jets game and man. Sauce. gently caress.

Kinda sorta hate how well the Jets are using their insane draft capital.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Durr Kommissar posted:

Lmfao Jesus Christ dude, I thought you were an rear end in a top hat before, but some real mask off poo poo here.

I don’t care if you pump up Elam or Allen, you’re just a really vile piece of poo poo.

Glad I apparently got under your skin enough for you to drop a slur tho!!!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

You promise if they win next week your expectation won't be 10 wins?

I thought Mcmagic always got made fun of for being too optimistic about the Jets, now he’s getting made fun of for not being optimistic enough!

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I think to be 100% honest the Jets, Dolphins and Patriots are solid teams and the Bills are drawing drat near football omnipotence these days.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

I don’t buy the Pats being that high. I think the Jets can beat them. But I’m far from impartial.

Like I think the betting markets would have the Pats as a roughly 3 point favorite on a neutral field but I also don’t think they’re an indicator if quality. They’re an indicator of public perception.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

pasaluki posted:

I think to be 100% honest the Jets, Dolphins and Patriots are solid teams and the Bills are drawing drat near football omnipotence these days.

I won’t argue with that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

For the Jet fans (including me at times) who were keeping an eye on Lamar, do you really want to give THIS guy the Watson contract?

https://twitter.com/SNYGiants/status/1581733923901427712

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Like I think the betting markets would have the Pats as a roughly 3 point favorite on a neutral field but I also don’t think they’re an indicator if quality. They’re an indicator of public perception.

I mean that's kind of the point I was making. You guys see them as better than conventional wisdom has them.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

For the Jet fans (including me at times) who were keeping an eye on Lamar, do you really want to give THIS guy the Watson contract?

Yes, absolutely.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

Yes, absolutely.

Plus give up the multiple 1s to trade for him? IDK if I would do it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Oh yeah not if they had to trade for him, I mean if he hits the market next year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

Oh yeah not if they had to trade for him, I mean if he hits the market next year.

I can't imagine the Ravens would just let him walk. If they can't come to an agreement on a contract it's going to be a tag and trade.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

With the old guys disintegrating, Lamar is almost certainly a top 5 QB. In what world is he not worth a mega contract and multiple firsts?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I can't imagine the Ravens would just let him walk. If they can't come to an agreement on a contract it's going to be a tag and trade.

Yeah hard to see him not get tagged twice at the very least. What level of comp would you be comfortable with

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lmao I missed this the first time. Thats quite the response.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Professor Funk posted:

I thought Mcmagic always got made fun of for being too optimistic about the Jets, now he’s getting made fun of for not being optimistic enough!

No, the question presumed the opposite. If they win next week he will rachet up the expectations despite saying nine games this week. Two wins and it'll be playoffs or bust.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

fsif posted:

With the old guys disintegrating, Lamar is almost certainly a top 5 QB. In what world is he not worth a mega contract and multiple firsts?

I would much rather give the Deshaun Watson contract to Lamar Jackson than, well, Deshaun Watson

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

He started out very fast but also hasn't played like a top 5 QB the last few weeks. That clip I posted from the giants game is some reckless poo poo in a 3 point 4th quarter game....

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

I mean that's kind of the point I was making. You guys see them as better than conventional wisdom has them.
Sure but leeching the blood to remove impurities was conventional wisdom. The Jets being 0-9 at the bye was as well. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/DouglasandSaleh/status/1579228153456705536

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

He started out very fast but also hasn't played like a top 5 QB the last few weeks. That clip I posted from the giants game is some reckless poo poo in a 3 point 4th quarter game....

Here's another clip:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1581790527191515136?s=20&t=haFTQiyrhsbUUe52njGFxQ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Sure but leeching the blood to remove impurities was conventional wisdom. The Jets being 0-9 at the bye was as well. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/DouglasandSaleh/status/1579228153456705536

Agree with you on this but also.................... the @DouglasandSaleh twitter account. lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Agree with you on this but also.................... the @DouglasandSaleh twitter account. lol

It was first post I could find with the Anita Marks or Brady Quinn quotes. :)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Major difference in the chances you take down 4 and up 3. You know this. Look at Lamar's stats in the last 3 games vs the first three, he's been a good deal worse. He's clearly a step down from the Mahomes level. (not that that is a huge indictment of him)

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes have made similar ill advised attempts at hero ball that cost them the game - Pat just yesterday.

edit - beaten by fsif

Sunday Morning fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 18, 2022

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
McMagic *or any Jets fan* what I meant what was level of comp would you be comfortable trading for Lamar in terms of draft. Watsons haul?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

mcmagic posted:

The Jets pretty clearly have better talent and much worse coaching.

Agree. I'm not sure which position is better to be in, though.

fsif posted:

A world where pass accuracy matters and he's never had it, and QBs with high mobility but low pass accuracy are consistently overrated.

I know Belichick likes him, but I really hope they don't get him. Lamar is probably the NFL QB who is most likable as a person, but I'd hate to have him as my QB. I'm quite convinced he's just not good enough to win a Super Bowl without a team that can carry him incredibly hard, but his market value is high enough that he can never be on such a team. I believe he'll retire without a ring.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Major difference in the chances you take down 4 and up 3. You know this. Look at Lamar's stats in the last 3 games vs the first three, he's been a good deal worse. He's clearly a step down from the Mahomes level. (not that that is a huge indictment of him)

I know. But all QBs have bad moments and I think you're kind of being a prisoner of the moment if you wouldn't jump at the opportunity to get a 25 year old franchise star.

Like what is the path to get someone even comparable to Jackson? Play the draft lottery for the 30th time?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

McMagic *or any Jets fan* what I meant what was level of comp would you be comfortable trading for Lamar in terms of draft. Watsons haul?

Id do the Russell Wilson haul without blinking which means I’d probably do a bit more than that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I don't think I would do the Wilson haul + the Watson contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m trying to decide what level I’d be okay with if he should become available, because while I love Tua… he’s just such a stud. And he’d absolutely destroy in the McDaniel offense. Plus a local boy etc etc m

3 firsts a 2 and a player I guess is what I’d say is max for me. Maybe 2 seconds and a 2 two players