Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Seems like maybe they shouldn’t have shipped a beta with weird non-stable-release anticheat or perhaps even have unnecessary performance-damaging anticheat in a purely noncompetitive game in general!

I remember being pretty pleased with how smoothly VT2’s beta ran for me in spite of everything else it had going on, and then the full game had the anticheat attached and suddenly didn’t run nearly as well.

Yup. It's anticonsumer as hell; the reason stuff like this keeps popping up in non-competitive games is primarily to protect ingame economies (inevitably designed to funnel the player toward microtransactions), not the player experience. Hell, I've seen people clearly cheating like crazy to night-instantly speedrun VT2 levels despite EAC, so it's not exactly keeping my game experience protected.

Meanwhile the DRG developers allow players to bypass their ingame (and non-monitized) economy by just editing a text file if they want, and I've literally never seen anyone cheating in public games.

I unconditionally loathe anticheat systems in non-competitive games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
If they could release some of the tracks that were in beta before launch that will go a long way toward making it a shorter wait, thx

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Will the Plague Ogryn be the only healthbar boss encountered in the wild on release? Vermintide2 had 3 on release and another later.

Wouldn't mind seeing the chaos spawn again.

Theyve been hinting at some as of yet unrevealed secondary or subfaction, so its possible there will be more.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Oh lovely, uninstalling the beta prevents uninstalling the anticheat that the beta used.

Not sure this company deserves much benefit of the doubt on any level.

Jesus i see they're on track to mimic the horrible VT2 launch.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Will the Plague Ogryn be the only healthbar boss encountered in the wild on release? Vermintide2 had 3 on release and another later.

Wouldn't mind seeing the chaos spawn again.

It started with 4 and went to 5. Rat Ogre + Stormfiend + Troll + Spawn, and then Minotaur.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Does the murder target in the jail count as a boss?

Edit: Oh in the wild.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Betas gone… feel like poo poo…. Just want her back….

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vargs posted:

It started with 4 and went to 5. Rat Ogre + Stormfiend + Troll + Spawn, and then Minotaur.

I guess I forgot about the stormfiend and just combined it with the rat ogre.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I thought Plague Ogryn was surprisingly easy for a boss and don't think it ever ended a run of mine compared to the normal specials.

I didn't get to tier 4 missions though.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
To at least praise the gameplay a bit, teamwipes never felt arbitrary during my beta experience. Wipes were pretty much always caused by a failure to maintain control of a front line, meaning the players who should be popping specials were tied up in melee. Sometimes that was a result of individual mistakes causing people to be knocked down or out, meaning the remaining players couldn't put out enough killing power to hold the line. Sometimes it was because people positioned poorly and got isolated, meaning there wasn't any front line to hold. But I could always see it coming in advance, even if it was beyond my personal power to prevent. That made Darktide feel much more fair and rewarding than, say, Back 4 Blood.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah one of my only teamwipes in the beta was a plague ogyrn in a super bad chokepoint who just wrecked us while a sniper picked us off.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’m expecting that count of 70 in vermintide terms would count the hammer and the mace as different weapons even though they’re statistically identical and just belong to different characters.

Tbh the hammer and mace are different due to the weapon combos and the shove combos.

But that means you arent using the mace and sword, which is superior

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Theyve been hinting at some as of yet unrevealed secondary or subfaction, so its possible there will be more.

With the whole Nurgle thing going on I'd expect some actual demons to make an appearance, especially for headhunting/boss fight missions. Chaos Spawn seems to be a shoe-in, but a Plaguebearer or even a Great Unclean One could certainly pop up as well. Or as a comedy option just a gigantic ball of Nurglings rolling around the map.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hire the total war 3 animator who did Nurglings in that game.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 17, 2022

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Nurgling golf with a thunder hammer would be a pro design move.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
they could absolutely put orcs in later

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Perestroika posted:

With the whole Nurgle thing going on I'd expect some actual demons to make an appearance, especially for headhunting/boss fight missions. Chaos Spawn seems to be a shoe-in, but a Plaguebearer or even a Great Unclean One could certainly pop up as well. Or as a comedy option just a gigantic ball of Nurglings rolling around the map.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hire the total war 3 animator who did Nurglings in that game.

yeah hopefully they'll be able to dig deeper into the Nurgle bestiary cause there's some great goobers there;

https://bogleech.com/halloween/hall14-nurgle.html

https://bogleech.com/halloween/hall18-nurgle.html

like just imagine this thing being a mission boss;

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Whats this you want space skaven using the same models from VT2? We'll get right on that :fatshark:.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Jack B Nimble posted:

This doesn't happen when it's the zealot because dangerous enemies are intentionally bigger than a regular person (lol should we all crank down the height slider)?

The height slider doesn't actually do anything in missions, it's just for the hub. I had a suspicion about it and had a friend make a max height human against my min height one and on the end screen, everyone was exactly the same height.

You can notice them pretty easily in the hub though. But, obviously not with your friends, just a bunch of random strangers. Why would you want to be in the hub with your friends???

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arghy posted:

Whats this you want space skaven using the same models from VT2? We'll get right on that :fatshark:.

I mean.... I wouldn't say no.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Arghy posted:

This would be an improvement for 40k in general tbh.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The height slider doesn't actually do anything in missions, it's just for the hub. I had a suspicion about it and had a friend make a max height human against my min height one and on the end screen, everyone was exactly the same height.

You can notice them pretty easily in the hub though. But, obviously not with your friends, just a bunch of random strangers. Why would you want to be in the hub with your friends???

They probably just have no experience coding a hub that your friends can load into :v:

Also of course the height slider does nothing in the missions now that you say that, but just lol why even include it then, ugh.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It’s pretty incredible that they implemented the tower from destiny 2 complete with the joys of making you wait longer during load screens so it can connect you to a bunch of randos you’re going to run past without looking at (I found this will be just as much of an issue with fatshark’s implementation of the idea as bungie’s when I took a long time to load the mourningstar after a mission and arrived into a blob of like 12 other players who all spawned in at the same moment), but without the ability to see your actual friends there. In fact it’s a straight regression from the red moon inn or helmgart keep because you can’t see your friends nor play around with weapons.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean.... I wouldn't say no.

A wormhole opens and is stabilized by the magos. Where it leads is unknown but the major decides to send the penal legion through to investigate. Upping arrival and due to fluctuations in the time stream your handler gets into that requires you to go to a nearby tower and blow a horn to wake the sleeping natives

Queue DLC 3: Re-return to Ubersreik

The concept are is an Ogryn beating a lasgun-wielding rat to death with Baradins Warhammer.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Uhhhh am I insane or does the beta not let you invert the Y-axis on a mouse?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Apparently it did not, people were complaining up thread.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

fukkin lmao

only time I've ever seen that before was in chinese MMOs

guess i'm cancelling my preorder

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

drrockso20 posted:

yeah hopefully they'll be able to dig deeper into the Nurgle bestiary cause there's some great goobers there;

https://bogleech.com/halloween/hall14-nurgle.html

https://bogleech.com/halloween/hall18-nurgle.html

like just imagine this thing being a mission boss;

Bloat drones and Blight haulers are both enemies that showed up in Chaos Gate Daemonhunters and they wouldn't be out of place as a boss in Darktide imo. Nice change of pace of organic blob bosses.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

fukkin lmao

it's something that they mentioned they'd fix on discord

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

fukkin lmao

It might be something they just didn't get round to implementing for the beta :shrug:

There is a ancient saying amongst the cognescenti whose ancient wisdom must always be remembered,
'Fatshark gonna Fatshark'

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

How is DRG so good yet farshark so bad, i swear they go out of their way some times. What i don't understand is you can't see anything but cosmetics in the lobby so if you wanted a hub to show off your fancy poo poo you're only going to see a tiny selection of the cosmetics they'll have to offer because the majority of it will be weapons. A firing range that wasn't gated behind another loading screen would have been better than seeing abuncha randos standing still because they're trying to communicate with their party that isn't there.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
f o t s h o r k ! ! ! ! ! !

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

lol at pre-ordering a fatshark game.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Look maybe if I preorder this game they'll finally release Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 on Steam

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I think the most disturbing thing noted from this thread is how many people play with inverted controls

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

slow_twitch posted:

I think the most disturbing thing noted from this thread is how many people play with inverted controls

It's pretty safe to say the game is going to have technical issues for a while at and after launch. But, I'll probably still play it since it's on game pass and with how good VT2 ended up. I am pretty confident dark tide will eventually be really solid.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Phil Spencer, CEO of Video Games, continues to deliver for the value-conscious gamer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

slow_twitch posted:

My brain was irreversibly broken by flight sims as a kid. I can deal with normal look fine but the lack of sensitivity controls sucked.

I'm definitely not preordering a fatshark thing, but I was pretty happy with the gameplay in the beta. Really depends on how the rest of the maps, weapons, and itemization/classes are. It's hard not to compare games to DRG but I've kinda had to tell myself that for whatever reason the lower budget, smaller team game is gonna have more QOL features and be one of the only games that does battle passes and cosmetics in general well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I didn't realize anyone besides people with massive flight simulator setups use inverted controls.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I just want to be able to listen to the soundtrack on demand. It slaps so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The beta ran super smooth for me and was super fun so I’m going to preorder it.

It’s me I’m the Fatshark-enabling problem.