Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Any company of any size releasing anything that they also want to launch in China is going to have to march to the CCP’s tune regardless, so ???

All the major companies are going to do the same poo poo because they want that sweet sweet Chinese market cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I see you are approaching this with all the empathy and nuance you are known for. I genuinely question your position that consolidating all the content and funding decisions within one multinational is fine because everyone will already make the same decisions it will anyway. That's the stance you've chosen. That.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

mods give me control of HCI's posts because I'll definitely post the same way he would, pinky swear!

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine wanting call of duty games approved by the CCP

Noob Saibot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 17, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What does the Country Music Awards have to do with video games

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Casnorf posted:

I see you are approaching this with all the empathy and nuance you are known for. I genuinely question your position that consolidating all the content and funding decisions within one multinational is fine because everyone will already make the same decisions it will anyway. That's the stance you've chosen. That.

I didn’t say it was good I said it’s dumb singling out tencent as uniquely awful from a “buh-buh-but they’ll do business in China” perspective when literally every lovely company in the world is already doing the same business.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

the whole point is that they're the only way in, man

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

What does the Country Music Awards have to do with video games

Neither one is worth a poo poo without George strait?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

singling out tencent is only because theres nobody else to call out theyre the only game in town its almost like

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

History Comes Inside! posted:

I didn’t say it was good I said it’s dumb singling out tencent as uniquely awful from a “buh-buh-but they’ll do business in China” perspective when literally every lovely company in the world is already doing the same business.

You are way oversimplifying this. It’s not about doing business with China it’s about them censoring games and getting access to millions of international users data not to mention other things

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Noob Saibot posted:

You are way oversimplifying this.

i refuse to believe that someone incapable of understanding anything that doesnt fit in a tweet actually exists and i can only assume bad faith or a bit

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Sony is falling into the typical trap of screwing up in the generation that follows from a successful one. They did it between PS2 and PS3, recovered for PS4, and are doing the same old stupid poo poo again.

Right down to finicky hardware with platform-specific tech that most developers aren’t going to engage with.

Granted, the haptics and the enhanced audio they’re pressing are more friendly to devs than the cell processor probs was.

In light of that, and also in light of MS having a more robust platform—one they’ve invested in for a long rear end time at this point—it’s easy to look at Sony or Jim Ryan or whatever the gently caress and conflate those two things. Hell, they’re probably a little related.

But consolidation sucks poo poo for end users. So, it all comes out a wash in the end, no? Who really cares about a corporate slap fight? It’s not as if anyone’s actually going to do anything, other than buy the console that has the games they want to play.

Incidentally, this is why I don’t buy launch consoles. Better to see who ends up with the most robust library.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

games are dumb arguing on the internet is way better and it turns out cheaper too

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i cant decide if i forgot an r in there somewhere so heres one you may solt and or pepor it as you plese "r"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Exclusives in general are bad. But exiling Blizzard to the Xbox feels like a good thing.

Make the Cosby Crew PC exclusive again.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

You are way oversimplifying this. It’s not about doing business with China it’s about them censoring games and getting access to millions of international users data not to mention other things

Everyone who wants to sell a game in China regardless of who publishes it is doing the exact same censorship even if Tencent are nowhere in the equation, so it’s incredibly dumb to try and blame that on Tencent, hth.

You are having two different arguments.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Noob Saibot posted:

Imagine wanting call of duty games approved by the CCP

I would imagine this would turn out like the episode of South Park where Japan used Pokémon to brainwash American children so that they could invade the USA.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BurningBeard posted:

Sony is falling into the typical trap of screwing up in the generation that follows from a successful one. They did it between PS2 and PS3, recovered for PS4, and are doing the same old stupid poo poo again.

Right down to finicky hardware with platform-specific tech that most developers aren’t going to engage with.

Granted, the haptics and the enhanced audio they’re pressing are more friendly to devs than the cell processor probs was.

In light of that, and also in light of MS having a more robust platform—one they’ve invested in for a long rear end time at this point—it’s easy to look at Sony or Jim Ryan or whatever the gently caress and conflate those two things. Hell, they’re probably a little related.

But consolidation sucks poo poo for end users. So, it all comes out a wash in the end, no? Who really cares about a corporate slap fight? It’s not as if anyone’s actually going to do anything, other than buy the console that has the games they want to play.

Incidentally, this is why I don’t buy launch consoles. Better to see who ends up with the most robust library.

It’s because when things are going well they cycle out the more creative and dynamic guys with a combination of finance dudes and executives who failed upward

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Call of Duty should just make it's own console that just plays Call of Duty. There, problem solved

it worked for WiiSports! :haw:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

it worked for WiiSports! :haw:

it super duper did

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

BurningBeard posted:

The PS5 is just a beefy PS4 with haptic controls that developers have said are extremely easy to add support for. The XSX similarly is just a beefy xbone.

Anyway, buying companies to make long existing titles exclusives instead of, you know, building new teams to make exclusive titles is also just a lame move. People are whining that Sony should make a new milsim that people won't play instead of trying to keep COD available on their platform but are willing to overlook the fact that MS is similarly unwilling to try to build a brand like that. I'd say MS should be investing in newer developers but last time they did that, they ended up loving it all up. Maybe this time their corporate culture isn't so poisonous that it drives everyone away for years.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 17, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1582129468134473728

October 20th for the Resident Evil event. Looking forward to seeing more of RE4 Remake!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If Activision-Blizzard are worth over 60 billion, why do they need to sell at all? Why can't they remain independent? Why is one of the most valuable game software companies incapable of operating or competing without being purchased by one of the largest companies in the world?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

it's so everyone at the top can get rich OP

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I remember every day because it was the best game released this year and probably ever.

Imagine not sitting down on December 12th or whatever and coming to the conclusion that no game came even remotely close to the almighty triumph that was Elden Ring, this year at the very least.

You can’t, it’s impossible. Unless you have spiders on the brain making you believe some nonsense interchangeable final fantasy game came out this year and that it wasn’t garbage

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

bloodychill posted:

If Activision-Blizzard are worth over 60 billion, why do they need to sell at all? Why can't they remain independent? Why is one of the most valuable game software companies incapable of operating or competing without being purchased by one of the largest companies in the world?
The answer to your question is in the question. Activision-Blizzard is already a fractal of acquisitions going back decades. They aren't one of the most valuable game software companies because they stayed independent and kept their head down.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Volte posted:

The answer to your question is in the question. Activision-Blizzard is already a fractal of acquisitions going back decades. They aren't one of the most valuable game software companies because they stayed independent and kept their head down.

Square-Enix bought tons of companies and is worth a tiny fraction of what Activision-Blizzard is worth. EA is similarly a conglom of purchased companies and is worth a fair bit less. Just acquiring companies doesn’t make for a valuable company not, in this case, a company worth buying for a much larger company.

In any case, it’s not answering the basic question of why the company wants to sell.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bloodychill posted:

Square-Enix bought tons of companies and is worth a tiny fraction of what Activision-Blizzard is worth. EA is similarly a conglom of purchased companies and is worth a fair bit less. Just acquiring companies doesn’t make for a valuable company not, in this case, a company worth buying for a much larger company.

In any case, it’s not answering the basic question of why the company wants to sell.

There's 68.7 billion reasons why. It's not rocket science. If you have a business that does $100K in revenue a year (just as an example) and someone offers to buy you out for a million, you do it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 18, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Because MS is making an offer that Activision investors believe is a better return on their investment than what Activision could get operating in the market as an independent company, and they're probably right. So the question is why does MS think Activision is worth such a premium. And I guess the answer is they have a subscription service that's growing like gangbusters, and keeps growing the more content they add to it, like chucking coal into a furnace if coal burned forever. So MS has a way to extract consistent recurring revenue from games in a way that gamers actually like, allowing MS to value content more highly, justifying a premium purchase price, giving MS motive and means to buy up as much content as they can. Fundamentally then, Activision investors think CoD is more valuable as part of the Xbox stable of content than as a series of games that are released annually and sold separately, and that MS is letting them realize a fair amount of that value via the acquisition price.

Aaaand the reason we have merger regulation is to prevent situations like this from snowballing into a monopoly that then deteriorates due to lack of market competition.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bloodychill posted:

perhaps this documentary will help you figure it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSEw_AVfJBY

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think it's worth underlining that a fair number of people have gone with Xbox this gen due to, among things, Game Pass, and specifically because Call of Duty is "definitely going to be included with Game Pass" or "will be Xbox exclusive", even though best-case scenario neither of those things would happen for a few years and Microsoft doesn't have a good reputation on delivering on these sorts of pie-in-the-sky promises. But that's still quite the shift in sales for something that Microsoft hasn't actually paid for yet, and might not depending on how this CMA thing goes.

For a stupider version of this, look at all the poo poo going on with Twitter's valuation based on Elon's mood regarding buying them for $44 billion, even though no money has changed hands yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

univbee posted:

I think it's worth underlining that a fair number of people have gone with Xbox this gen due to, among things, Game Pass, and specifically because Call of Duty is "definitely going to be included with Game Pass" or "will be Xbox exclusive",

Do you have any data on this? I can't see a fair number of people buying an Xbox NOW because of this. The deal isn't done. Even if the deal were signed, sealed, and delivered today, it's going to be a couple of years before any of that happens.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They're called "tencent" because they dont make a single game I'd pay ten drat cents for!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have any data on this? I can't see a fair number of people buying an Xbox NOW because of this. The deal isn't done. Even if the deal were signed, sealed, and delivered today, it's going to be a couple of years before any of that happens.

Actual hard data no, but a few of my brother's friends specifically did this and a close friend of mine almost did before we chatted about it. I don't know that many people directly or indirectly so the fact that this high a proportion of people I knew or had some connection to either did what I said or came close to it suggests there's probably a not-insignificant number of people who went with Xbox on future promises (and how Game Pass is currently). Gamers can be weirdly fickle about things for sure. Some are also lumping other things into this like "the next Elder Scrolls game" and "Starfield" too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Univ is there some bias because the Xbox series x is a bit better to find in stock/on store shelves than the ps5 even as of today?

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The real irony is that Microsoft will gently caress up the activision IP like they did their own IP and those brands will be worthless in a few years

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

univbee posted:

Actual hard data no, but a few of my brother's friends specifically did this and a close friend of mine almost did before we chatted about it. I don't know that many people directly or indirectly so the fact that this high a proportion of people I knew or had some connection to either did what I said or came close to it suggests there's probably a not-insignificant number of people who went with Xbox on future promises (and how Game Pass is currently). Gamers can be weirdly fickle about things for sure. Some are also lumping other things into this like "the next Elder Scrolls game" and "Starfield" too.

That's anecdotal data.

There's also a big difference with COD and Bethesda's stuff. It is a fact that Starfield, for example is PC/Xbox exclusive (and day one Gamepass). It is not unreasonable that people would look to acquire an Xbox console now because of a big release like Starfield (due 1st half 2023)

COD is...who the gently caress knows. MS has indicated they will honor existing agreements, but no one except Sony, MS, and ABK knows what those are. I cannot see a "fair number of people" buying an xbox console now based on who the gently caress knows what's going to happen in 2024 or 2025 or beyond. There could even be a mid-cycle console refresh before we see an MS exclusive COD game.

edit: Don't get me wrong. Gamepass is a great value for a lot of people and is absolutely a driving factor in people buying into the xbox ecosystem. I just sincerely doubt that a 'fair number' of people are buying into it now so they can play COD in 4 years.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 18, 2022

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Noob Saibot posted:

The real irony is that Microsoft will gently caress up the activision IP like they did their own IP and those brands will be worthless in a few years

I’m eagerly looking forward to finding out which fictional war crime squad’s name gets used for the Microsoft-founded Call Of Duty studio, like they did for Halo and Gears.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I just finally finished playing through Silent Hill 4 after being so hyped for it when it came out and never finishing it then due to a roommate stealing my PS2. Played it on the ol' steam deck. Then I saw the news about the new Silent Hill stuff and I got excited. Then I read this thread and my hopes got put back in check. I really hope this is Konami turning it around. I won't hold my breath but it would be a great thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

I’m eagerly looking forward to finding out which fictional war crime squad’s name gets used for the Microsoft-founded Call Of Duty studio, like they did for Halo and Gears.

Halos studio is named after a renegade A.I.