Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

I read this as "podcast" artist

Er Ist Wieder Da 2 - Diesmal mit Spotify
But first I'd like to recommend Krupp steel and the other products and services that make all this possible...

e: 238 CE Goths cross the Danube

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Dabir posted:

Spreadsheet are a data ANALYSIS tool, not a STORAGE tool.

Look at this fancy dan working for an organisation where spreadsheets aren't used for absolutely everything from inventory management to staff scheduling. And if you try to introduce systems that are actually task relevant people will just nod along politely before going back to their spreadsheets.

Rarity posted:

I feel this, we use Salesforce at my job and it's a total crock of poo poo. I love when two distinct datasets can't be referenced together for completely arbitrary reasons!

Salesforce is fine if you have the time, skills and resources to use it as a platform to build out what you actually need. It's generally terrible if you need it to work straight out the box.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lol I didn’t see the approval ratings in that recent poll, absolutely dire

https://twitter.com/electsworld/status/1582069516204642305?s=46&t=dioOMGHCE0vrYw0E6m_C3A

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Day out today and took a photo. Legs are shagged but hopefully the six miles will do me some good.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Day out today and took a photo. Legs are shagged but hopefully the six miles will do me some good.

Wow, that does look lovely.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Good news: I've got gas central heating. Bad news: combi boilers don't work without electricity.

Still, at least it will only be on the really, really cold nights AKA pretty much every night through Jan and Feb.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Hmm, I've never thought "wow, that's a cool river bend" before

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

I approve of the way they're destroying the Conservative Party.

I like this too.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Good news: I've got gas central heating. Bad news: combi boilers don't work without electricity.

Still, at least it will only be on the really, really cold nights AKA pretty much every night through Jan and Feb.
Very little electricity though, you could run one for an hour on a cheap UPS, unlike an electric heater.

Assuming that there are electricity blackouts that somehow don't affect the gas supply though, which is less certain if things do get that bad.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

drat that looks nice

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
reptile owners making plans to put their snakes in pillowcases, so they can bring them under the duvet with them and act as a human heater, so they don't loving die is certainly a thing in 2022.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/electsworld/status/1582069516204642305?s=46&t=dioOMGHCE0vrYw0E6m_C3A

under what circumstances is a general election called in the UK

like, can the party really just replace a head of state without holding an election?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Potato Salad posted:

like, can the party really just replace a head of state without holding an election?

I refer you to the events of last month

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mumblyfish posted:

This is probably real cheeky, but CRMs have been on my mind lately and I do need advice, and Reddit/Stack Overflow just ain't cutting it. Please help, I'm in the public sector, am spending public money, and I need a CRM that's better than insane Excel spreadsheets. We do good work, but are stifled by crap IT, lack of knowledge, and fear of anything not bought from a huge corporation. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look into, or even some cautionary tales to stay the hell away from certain things?

At a bare minimum it needs to handle a fairly complex account system that would be best stored as a relational database (users have many accounts that belong to many groups and all need many status flags), send pre-set emails with mail merge based on search criteria, read data directly from web forms, and ideally machine-read uploaded documents. I'm a decent C#/Python developer so I can handle something that's code-based, within reason. Is there *anything* on the market that can handle this, ideally out-of-the-box?

At the moment I've built a fairly nifty spreadsheet that can read returned DOCX/PDF files to auto-populate the "database" and send emails with one click, but it's still loving Excel and only one person can modify it at a time and I'm not allowed to even think about setting up a database or doing something a manager can't understand. There has to be a better way to do this.

This is kinda what I'm afraid of. I don't want to recommend getting Salesforce if it won't bring anything new to the table, since it'd be public money being spaffed up the wall. Is making a stupidly overcomplicated Excel file that reads/writes to a database really the best solution, if I can get someone in charge to agree that SQL isn't the devil's work?

Look into sugarCRM.

We've done some really interesting things with ours at work

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PM isn’t the head of state

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a train station anywhere near there? https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fountains-abbey-and-studley-royal-water-garden

I've still got a week's holiday to take in November and haven't decided where to go yet.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

PM isn’t the head of state

Well they can definitely replace the Queen without an election, which also happened last month

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

learnincurve posted:

reptile owners making plans to put their snakes in pillowcases, so they can bring them under the duvet with them and act as a human heater, so they don't loving die is certainly a thing in 2022.

Now your earlier post about Gove makes more sense

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And there's legal precedent for impeaching kings called Charles.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Guavanaut posted:

And there's legal precedent for impeaching kings called Charles.

admissibly I'm a fan of what the high court of justice called "impeachment"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

We elect MPs, they pick a prime minister. We don’t get an election before the scheduled one (5 years after the prior one) unless they vote for one and obviously that’s not gonna happen since Tories have a majority currently but will be absolutely destroyed if they call one now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

We elect MPs, they pick a prime minister. We don’t get an election before the scheduled one (5 years after the prior one) unless they vote for one and obviously that’s not gonna happen since Tories have a majority currently but will be absolutely destroyed if they call one now.

Never say never, spite is a powerful motivator. But yeah it doesn't seem that likely

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tigey posted:

Now your earlier post about Gove makes more sense

Frogs bruminate, stick him in some tuppaware with dead leaves and a pile of cocaine and he'll be fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Hmm, I've never thought "wow, that's a cool river bend" before

It is, unfortunately, cheating, the entire valley is a large landscape garden, the building in the distance is fountains abbey.

It had a river running through it, but I think it has been quite carefully widened here to form the platonic ideal of an oxbow and to slow the water down.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

learnincurve posted:

Oh poo poo, how do I keep my son’s chameleon alive?!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, pretend I'm a massive idiot (because I am)

what in the absolute motherfuck is happening in the UK? from an outside perspective, it looks like there is a power vacuum where nobody wants to step into the vacuum? is the problem that the Tories are so unpopular right now that they are struggling to hold a majoritarian coalition together?

CAN a pm be replaced without an election? what are the hypothetical circumstances under which a snap election would need to be called?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Random Integer posted:

Look at this fancy dan working for an organisation where spreadsheets aren't used for absolutely everything from inventory management to staff scheduling. And if you try to introduce systems that are actually task relevant people will just nod along politely before going back to their spreadsheets.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Design compliance lists a hundred thousand lines deep. In a spreadsheet.
Meeting minutes. In a spreadsheet.
56 hour blockade engineering train and plant movement 4D simulations. In a spreadsheet.
Pictographic Ikea style help guides. In a spreadsheet.

I have carried away the remains of the fallen. Those who alphabetically sorted just the first column. The ones who changed all the row heights to zero pixels. The tormented souls who did not uncheck "match entire cell contents".
Their bodies were rigid, as if frozen in the snow. No stretcher was required.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Endjinneer posted:

Those who alphabetically sorted just the first column.

Shaking and crying rn

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Potato Salad posted:

what in the absolute motherfuck is happening in the UK?
https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/595112367358406656

Potato Salad posted:

from an outside perspective, it looks like there is a power vacuum where nobody wants to step into the vacuum?
Nature abhors a vacuum, the factions of the tories abhor each other more.

Potato Salad posted:

is the problem that the Tories are so unpopular right now that they are struggling to hold a majoritarian coalition together?
They've been running out of competent people who want to put their name to the mess since the dog caught the car that is Brexit.

Potato Salad posted:

CAN a pm be replaced without an election?
Yes, that just happened with Johnson stepping down and his replacement being selected by a few tens of thousands of swivel-eyed ultras.

Potato Salad posted:

what are the hypothetical circumstances under which a snap election would need to be called?
:brexit:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

So, pretend I'm a massive idiot (because I am)

what in the absolute motherfuck is happening in the UK? from an outside perspective, it looks like there is a power vacuum where nobody wants to step into the vacuum? is the problem that the Tories are so unpopular right now that they are struggling to hold a majoritarian coalition together?

CAN a pm be replaced without an election? what are the hypothetical circumstances under which a snap election would need to be called?

There has to be an election in the next two years, the maximum length of time between elections is five years but they can be called at any time for any reason if the government (or a majority of the MPs in the house of commons) decide to (normally a government commands a majority of MPs, that's what makes it a government because you need a majority to vote for your legislation for it to pass, minority governments are rare and unstable)

The PM is an internal position decided upon by the largest party in government and the mechanism by which they are selected is basically up to the party. The UK does not have an elected executive, the monarch is the head of state and the government basically sorts itself out underneath the monarch and the monarch signs off on what they decide, if they do not do this, historically this is resolved by cutting the head off the monarch. The legislature is decided by majorities in the house of commons, by however these are achieved. The executive such as it is, is basically decided by calvinball rules because of how the position of PM works. Amusingly this does not on aggregate produce worse outcomes than the US system.

The tories have an absolute majority, quite a large one in fact, but the problem is that their actual political platform is wildly unpopular and a lot of extremely stupid people who voted for then in 2019 have apparently realized that they are colossal idiots who just make everything worse, and they are fighting like rats in a sack among each other to find someone who can somehow square the circle of the entire conservative political project being made of venal idiots whose ideas the public actually hate, and the need to win the next election.

Honestly I do enjoy explaining this to americans because they have all these complicated systems to formalize all this stuff and the UK just runs on "election whenevs but maybe every 5 years, president whoever someone just do it it'll be fine" and there isn't really a very big difference in how the two shake out in the end.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 17, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1582117081876955137

:allears:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
the gold stick is in charge because god said so everyone shut up

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

OwlFancier posted:

(normally a government commands a majority of MPs, that's what makes it a government because you need a majority to vote for your legislation for it to pass, minority governments are rare and unstable)

:911: must be nice

legitimately, thanks for :words:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the conservatives' and the media's response to the conservatives being absolute dogshit in goverment is basically:

because the press have been legitimizing them for decades and also the conservatives have been running the country for 12 years and every loving time they get re-elected to fix the problems they caused.

(does somebody have that big list of newspaper front pages that amount to ONLY NEW [conservative government] CAN SAVE US FROM [previous conservative government])

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 17, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

Regarding what? The fascism, the dictatorial power struggles within our ruling classes, the ongoing theft, the ongoing social murder, the cultish indoctrination of the youth, or the purposeful collapse of our economy to benefit a few elite gamblers, or the collapse of the housing market for the capitalists to hoover up the remains.... you'll have to be more specific.

But yes. Isn't it just?

Potato Salad posted:

As already explained, we could actually be stuck with whatever the gently caress this is for two years. gently caress knows what the state of this country will be like when we all get our turn for 'democracy' again. The opposition parties are all pages from the same economic books, and we are heading towards authoritarian fascism regardless of whether Labour takes power or not.

There aren't any good options on the horizon, sadly... or much hope to be had, but there are lots of nuggets of lols to harvest before then

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 17, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Endjinneer posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Design compliance lists a hundred thousand lines deep. In a spreadsheet.
Meeting minutes. In a spreadsheet.
56 hour blockade engineering train and plant movement 4D simulations. In a spreadsheet.
Pictographic Ikea style help guides. In a spreadsheet.

I have carried away the remains of the fallen. Those who alphabetically sorted just the first column. The ones who changed all the row heights to zero pixels. The tormented souls who did not uncheck "match entire cell contents".
Their bodies were rigid, as if frozen in the snow. No stretcher was required.

I've got flashbacks.
I did a freelance job for someone with multi-column data involving around 4000 people in a failed pension scheme.
On separate pages I sorted the list in different ways depending on what he needed it for. I included a readme sheet which it auto opened on to which explained what was on each sheet.
He totally ignored that and pronounced to me sometime later that he'd even managed to figure out 'how to sort' before sending it on to the lawyers.
I said "But I did all that for you, and it was all in the 'read me' (which I had also duplicated in the covering email).
He didn't even know how to get to a different tab in a worksheet so fk knows what damage he did to the sorted data. I felt sick to the stomach because on the assumption he had completely wrecked it, my reputation would be in the mud.

Fortunately I had also sent my work direct to the lawyers so if anything came up they could compare what I sent them with what he had done and know it wasn't me to blame. (Not that I have much faith in lawyers to know how to do excel either).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Scientastic posted:

Oh poo poo, how do I keep my son’s chameleon alive?!

If you have a gas hob you can heat a (or several) hot water bottle and place it on top of the viv/on the outside of the doors with a duvet over the viv to insulate.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

:shrug:

More helpfully, my (probably incorrect) gut take on the big picture is that the various forces that have gradually taken over the Conservative Party (and much of the rest of the political and media establishment) over the past 30-ish years with the end goal of Brexit and creating a libertarian paradise of low tax, low welfare, low wages, low regulations, low workers' rights have hosed up the last few stages of the process. They pushed lovable populist oaf Boris Johnson into the big chair, but underestimated what a lazy, lying charlatan he was so he ended up being turfed out. Covid and Ukraine have derailed the economy and caused a sort of disaster capitalism scenario ahead of schedule, so people are facing genuine hardship and economic failure while there are still remnants of an alternative (inside and outside the Conservative Party) out there and before all the regulations, international treaties, trade unions etc. that would have stopped people doing anything about it have been destroyed. Then these Ayn Rand-worshipping nutters got their pet spokeswoman into the Prime Minister job...but she and her associates turned out to not just be empty mouthpieces who would do their bidding but actual true-believers who did batshit crazy stuff like cutting taxes on the rich and slashing spending, against the recommendations of the Bank of England, most of the City of London, and bodies like the IMF and just as the cost of living crisis began to really ramp up because they really wanted to do so and couldn't hold back any longer.

Potato Salad posted:

from an outside perspective, it looks like there is a power vacuum where nobody wants to step into the vacuum? is the problem that the Tories are so unpopular right now that they are struggling to hold a majoritarian coalition together?

There isn't a power vacuum as such - the Tories are sitting on a very large parliamentary majority. The problem is that they won that majority three years ago by promising a lot of people and places that don't usually vote Tory that this time it was different and they'd do loads of really good stuff. They haven't done any of that and have generally made everything worse for everyone. So that's the Tory's new voting base that delivered their majority destroyed in a blaze of broken promises. Liz Truss' rapid-fire demolition of the British economy has now finished off the traditional Tory voting base of old people, homeowners and business types because all three are being hugely shafted by the soaring energy costs, rising interest rates and cratering consumer spending.

Potato Salad posted:

Yes. It's already happened once - that's how Liz got the job. It's how Boris Johnson first got to be PM as well. Technically we don't elect PMs - we elect local MPs and the party with the most MPs forms the government, with the leader of that party being the PM.

Because we have no fixed and written constitution, a governing party can switch its leaders (and therefore switch the PM) as many times as it likes...in theory. But the PM does still have to command a functional majority in parliament. Truss was already controversial because her policies were a massive change from Johnson's - the ones that the Tories were elected on. Now she's demonstrably useless and crashing and burning at an incredible rate, and Tory MPs are pretty much openly saying that they don't support her.

Convention states that if a government can't pass a budget through parliament then it can't govern and an election has to be called. But there are no actual rules enforcing this. Truss and the Tories can, quite correctly, trundle on for the next two years which is when the clock runs out and there has to be another election. Parliament could do a vote of no confidence, but that would require a huge portion of the Tory MPs to not only vote to collapse their own government but - on the current polls at least - set in motion their own destruction as a party. A recent poll had a low level of Tory support that, if actually repeated at a general election, would see the Conservatives (who have been the UK's governing party for the huge majority of the last 150+ years, and the main opposition party on the rare occasions when they weren't in government) pushed into fourth place.

Tory MPs will be weighing up whether it's better to:

a) Get rid of Truss, install a second new PM without a general election and try and recover both the general situation and their reputation as best they can over the next two years (the problem being that there is absolutely no one in the Tory Party who has a good chance of doing this because they're all hopeless. There are serious rumours that they'll get Johnson back and pretend that the last five months just didn't happen!)

b) Keep Truss, hang on to power for as long as possible. This has almost zero chance of their polling or reputation getting better, and the only realistic outcome is that things get even worse, which wil hand Labour a vast majority when the election finally comes round and the Tories will have so thoroughly trashed their support that they'll be out of power for 20+ years at the least, if not permanently finished as a political party in their current form. Seriously, more than one Tory internal source has said that the only way Truss stands a chance of picking things up in this situation is if Putin lobs a nuclear missile at the UK, since that's virtually the only thing that will make Liz's trashfire look less bad by comparison.

c) Call an election now. Hand Labour a massive majority but probably salvage just enough credibility and support that they could possibly be back in power in 10 years if Labour prove useless and the Tories can scare enough people about immigrants, trans folk and the EU again.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My biggest database hell story was joining a startup in Paris back in the day that had a ridiculous dotbomb business plan, an exec board full of Harvard MBA twats, and a lovely teaser site with lots of promises, lots of press and gently caress all to back any of it up.

The result? When I joined, there were nearly 200k clients who had signed up, with all the data dumped to an SQL database. The person who set it up (an unpaid student intern working for 'share options') didn't understand about indexing, or what primary keys were, or that it's a good idea to validate inputs to make sure things like valid email addresses are entered. So we had a database full of poo poo from the offset. There wasn't even any text or numerical validating going on. Dates could be entered in any format.

I was initially employed to do customer service, and to change any records before the main site went live. I was told to log into the admin console and paste in and edit SQL commands from a document, and do it on a live database... with no backup..... yeah..... Immediate horror, and me telling the CEO and CTO they were loving idiots. The end result is I somehow got promoted to database administrator and webmaster, which meant I no longer had to deal with lovely customers anymore.

I managed to fix a lot of things by writing admin front ends to make sure nobody could gently caress anything up, and did my best to filter out duplications and errors in the database. I also implemented a backup regime where they were archived onto CD Rom. I found out those CD Roms were stored in an office that had direct sunlight.... through a hot summer.... By the time the company needed to refer to old database data to fight one of the many lawsuits, those CDR's were toast. Literal toast. Baked. lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Tories will recover by joining the Labour party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/MattScottMusic/status/1582087116695441408