Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does that count as Minmaxing or Minmaying?

Minmaying. Gotta blast that 80's J-pop on all frequencies while firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Aethernet posted:

Neutron torpedoes not being on battleships but kinetic cannons - and tachyon beams - still being on them means you're still going to have a lot of alpha strike. Plus torpedoes are the very definition of alpha strike.

I'll withhold judgement till I play it, but it's not clear to me that they're going to avoid massed battleships at the end game, with some ablative corvettes to soak up torpedoes.

Playing on the beta patch, kinetic artillery seems to be almost useless against small ships now- I'm getting 25% hit rates with them in engagements against the AI (which, as usual, does not seem to have yet made it to battleships itself). My destroyers and cruisers seem to be applying much more effective damage.

The torp thing is weird, because they get a damage bonus based on the size of the ship they hit. And I really do not get why frigates aren't just a different hull section option for corvettes- all it seems to have accomplished is preventing me from refitting my corvettes into them.

The missile changes have done something, though- I now have something long-range to put in those gun slots on carriers. And I think the ships with the artillery and carrier computers are now keeping range?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Neutron and Proton torpedoes aren't torpedoes, they're energy weapons.
The torpedoes are back as torpedoes.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Does this update mean mixed fleets will be more effective than just battleship spamming? Or just that we'll need different sizes weapons on our fleets of battleships and not just neutron launchers?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Playing on the beta patch, kinetic artillery seems to be almost useless against small ships now- I'm getting 25% hit rates with them in engagements against the AI (which, as usual, does not seem to have yet made it to battleships itself). My destroyers and cruisers seem to be applying much more effective damage.

The torp thing is weird, because they get a damage bonus based on the size of the ship they hit. And I really do not get why frigates aren't just a different hull section option for corvettes- all it seems to have accomplished is preventing me from refitting my corvettes into them.

The missile changes have done something, though- I now have something long-range to put in those gun slots on carriers. And I think the ships with the artillery and carrier computers are now keeping range?

Interesting - I assume carriers are still really good at killing small ships? I wonder how an all-carrier fleet would perform now, with perhaps some missile boats along for the ride.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does this update mean mixed fleets will be more effective than just battleship spamming? Or just that we'll need different sizes weapons on our fleets of battleships and not just neutron launchers?

The neutron launcher meta is definitely dead. So far missiles and strike craft seem really good. Disruptors are also quite good now. I am wondering if battleships packing hoards of missiles and strike craft will be the new thing. But if that is the case I can see a possible role for picket destroyers and torpedo frigates.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Aethernet posted:

Interesting - I assume carriers are still really good at killing small ships? I wonder how an all-carrier fleet would perform now, with perhaps some missile boats along for the ride.

Yeah the only thing that really made strike craft bad (aside from neutron launcher alpha strike), a billion chances for the other guy to disengage, is gone now. They synergize well with missiles and you would just need something to screen your big hulls from torpedoes.

Oddly enough neutron launchers may end up being a good counter to carrier spam as they are the long range torpedo option and might not be subject to point defense. But then neutron launcher torpedo boats would be wiped by destroyers or gunboat corvettes, which in turn should get shredded by the carriers.

I really can't wait to see how this shakes out.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 16, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Carrier cruisers were already my favorite ship, so looks like I'll just keep doing the same thing as always.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Finally getting around to playing Knights of the Toxic God. So far, about a third of the way through the quest, it's great. Really fun and flavorful writing with a neat gameplay gimmick. I'm sure it takes ages to make bespoke content like this but I hope they keep it up and do more. The knight upgrades also feel really good and impactful - I hope they find a way to do more of that to other pops, too.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Is it just me or is the disengagement rate in the 3.6 beta super high? Ships are only supposed to get one disengagement roll and yet I am lucky to get 1 or 2 kills when thrashing a hostile fleet of 40+ ships with no losses on my side.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 17, 2022

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Did the beta do something weird to fallen empires? I declared war on one and their starbases alone had 200k fleet power.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
My late game citadels fully kitted out with defense platforms can easily hit 200k (after repeatables) is that a 200k FE Starbase with or without defense platforms?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Technical Analysis posted:

My late game citadels fully kitted out with defense platforms can easily hit 200k (after repeatables) is that a 200k FE Starbase with or without defense platforms?

I'll check when I get back but I've never seen a citadel above 90k before, FE or no.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

FE stations have defense platforms. Its pretty trivial to run over a FE station with a few hundred k in fleet power in 3.5.

Do you have the fantastic space battles mod installed? I noticed that it does strange things to combat power ratings and weapon fire rates in the most recent patches. To the point that I would call the mod broken and in need of an update.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I believe this is in fact part of the reason.

That said, they did apparently test them as being a Corvette hull type with some modifiers, but it wound up being confusing. Having frigates be a different ship type makes it more obvious what their role is supposed to be, and also allows them to line up behind the Corvettes in fleet formation.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I wish there was a combat sandbox to test this beta, because I can barely get into enough fights without choosing a genocidal race.

I also hosed up by putting Overtuned on a hivemind when they can't have anything more complicated than livestock. I don't feel like playing all the way to the midgame to pick up nerve stapling, but crushing a revolt before I put this game down was a nice bonus since I never see it as UNE.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any must-have graphics mods for this game? I'm finally starting to stick to a game and get into it and unravel this game a bit, so i'm not super interested in any gameplay mods, but was curious about graphics stuff. All i'm using currently is the Tiny Outliner mod.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowlyger posted:

I believe this is in fact part of the reason.

That said, they did apparently test them as being a Corvette hull type with some modifiers, but it wound up being confusing. Having frigates be a different ship type makes it more obvious what their role is supposed to be, and also allows them to line up behind the Corvettes in fleet formation.
This is edging towards what I want for stellaris ship design where you have a large number of hulls but not a huge amount of variation between them.

Give me a carrier hull and an artillary hull and a spinal mount in the "large" category instead of a battleship hull with for some reason three distinct segments including one for the engine despite being completely unimpacted by engine design.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shumagorath posted:

I wish there was a combat sandbox to test this beta, because I can barely get into enough fights without choosing a genocidal race.

I also hosed up by putting Overtuned on a hivemind when they can't have anything more complicated than livestock. I don't feel like playing all the way to the midgame to pick up nerve stapling, but crushing a revolt before I put this game down was a nice bonus since I never see it as UNE.
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands

e: Substantially edited because Staltran is smarter than me.

Make a map with everything turned off (no other empires etc). Use "research_all_technologies 1" to add all technologies. Make all the ship designs you want to test. Type "max_resources" into the console.
Save your game.
Use "instant_build" then queue up the fleets you want to fight. They should build instantly. Move both fleets to outside your territory. Use "attackallfleets" to make them fight.

You can use the up arrow to repeat previous commands.

There are better ways to do this but they'd be too hard to explain if you've never used the console before (like "run" to queue up commands or "add_ship" to make the ships rather than building them directly).

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 17, 2022

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands

Make a game with everything turned off except one other empire.
Save the game.
Use "Survey" to reveal the galaxy. Deal with the popups.
Save the game.
Use "play 1" to switch to another empire. Use "Survey" to reveal the galaxy. Deal with the popups. Use "play 0" to switch back.
Save game.
Make all the ship designs you want to test.
Save game. This is the important save game. You can just reload this from now on to test different setups.
Use "instant_build" and "add_resources <alloys etc>" then queue up the fleets you want to fight. They should build instantly. Toggle off "instant_build". Move both fleets to outside your territory.
Save game.
Use "play 1" to switch back to the other empire, use "add_resources <alloys etc>" to handle upkeep, select one of the fleets, use "own" to take it.
Use "play 0" to switch back, declare war, fight, repeat.

You can use the up arrow to repeat previous commands.

There are better ways to do this but they'd be too hard to explain if you've never used the console before (like "run" to queue up commands or "add_ship" to make the ships rather than building them directly) but if your do this a few times you should have the tools to understand the shortcuts.

I just use "attackallfleets" to have my fleets fight each other rather than switching between to empires. Also lets you use "tweakergui instant_move" without worrying about the AI teleporting fleets where you don't want. Though this does mean symmetrical war doctrines, ethics, civics, repeatables etc. Also need to fight in neutral space so the starbase doesn't distract the fleets.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Staltran posted:

I just use "attackallfleets" to have my fleets fight each other rather than switching between to empires. Also lets you use "tweakergui instant_move" without worrying about the AI teleporting fleets where you don't want. Though this does mean symmetrical war doctrines, ethics, civics, repeatables etc. Also need to fight in neutral space so the starbase doesn't distract the fleets.
Ahhh how did I not know about that, that makes life so much easier.

e: I'd also managed to delete the "research all technologies" line at some point lol.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 17, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Splicer posted:

<instructions>
Thanks! As much as I was enjoying the new Overlord and Toxoids stuff, I'm guessing this is what they want out of the beta.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

Yeah, but the dev diary explicitly says they're moving to the torpedo slot.

The hell? I guess more reasons to use actual guns instead of just sending out a never ending hail of energy torpedoes while laughing like a maniac.

But still, weird. I now fully expect warp drives coming back next patch.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Libluini posted:

But still, weird. I now fully expect warp drives coming back next patch.

Shh don't tempt the monkeys paw

One thing I will say is that its kind of odd having kinetic artillery but no energy equivalent. I hope something gets redesigned to occupy that niche

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Caught up with some of the expansions with Humble's current offer on Paradox stuff, grabbing megacorp, federations, ancient relics and the aquatics species. On the fence about lithoids, I love the idea, but there are lots of negative reviews of it due to a ton of (supposedly) unintended interactions with food. For example:

quote:

Playing as a democracy, it's fairly silly to receive ruler mandates about increasing food production when there is not a single food-eater in my empire.

quote:

Adding the 'Cyborg' trait to a Lithoid makes it consume food. Lithoid tech trees can get stuck because the prerequisites for tech tier 2 cannot reliably be met without food techs. Fallen Empire Lithoids don't get their trait and end up organic

These are from 2019 though. Has that sort of stuff been addressed since?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just rolled over to 2400, the galaxy has devolved into two big federations with me sandwiched between two members of one whom I'd love to just liberate. One federation decided to take on the FEs and is actually winning. The Khan never showed up unfortunately, both marauding empires spawned on the other side of the galaxy so I was hoping to see the Khan event. Now the FEs are actively engaging in wars but are not awakened yet, not sure what's going on there. I'm basically just sitting back and defending attacks by one federation and using that as an excuse to liberate pops. I'm a captain-difficulty player but put it on GA with scaling so even though I'm #1 in Points and fleet strength, and am the permanent custodian, there are two other empires who almost equal me in strength, fortunately they're in different federations.

I'd love it if the two federations actually fought each other. That way I could try to carve out a few more planets, not that I need any at this point, the micro is getting annoying but I have zero economic pressure at all at this point.

Edit: Right after I post this, both of the FE's awakens. At least now things might get difficult with one large empire mobilizing for war with me on one side, and this FE awakening on the other side...

And now we've got a War in Heaven (my first time seeing it since I either roll some kind of exterminator and paint the map, or my games never get this far), and since I made myself permanent Custodian, I got to start the League of Unaligned Nations or whatever it's called, and all but one nation who went Thrall to one of the AE's wanted in. Which means I have 0 cohesion apparently since I was at war every 10 years with 4 of these nations who were in their own Federation. But hey, now all the ships on the map are Blue, that's cool? No idea what I'm doing now but I might as well go after the closest AE huh? Can I turn their pops into Biotrophies?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jabarto posted:

Did the beta do something weird to fallen empires? I declared war on one and their starbases alone had 200k fleet power.

I saw one with a 173k starbase, they've definitely been buffed. I think they've rejiggered how fleet power is calculated though, I noticed the totals for my starting corvettes/other hulls seemed higher than they had previously.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FishMcCool posted:

Caught up with some of the expansions with Humble's current offer on Paradox stuff, grabbing megacorp, federations, ancient relics and the aquatics species. On the fence about lithoids, I love the idea, but there are lots of negative reviews of it due to a ton of (supposedly) unintended interactions with food. For example:

These are from 2019 though. Has that sort of stuff been addressed since?

I'm pretty drat sure that most, if not all, of those things are ironed out now.

I played some lithoids about four months ago and never got stuck and never randomly required a shitload of food. I did, however, consistently amass food from events, conquered worlds, etc. I just sold it on the market for energy credits.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm pretty drat sure that most, if not all, of those things are ironed out now.

I played some lithoids about four months ago and never got stuck and never randomly required a shitload of food. I did, however, consistently amass food from events, conquered worlds, etc. I just sold it on the market for energy credits.

Cheers, rock and stone it is then.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FishMcCool posted:

Cheers, rock and stone it is then.

I take it back. I did have one weird food interaction.

I was playing as the Children of the Dragon origin (or whatever it's called) where there's a space dragon in your home system.

Minor spoilers for a very early origin-related event:

One very early event has it land on your planet and feed.

I did not have food for it. But I was easily able to afford to buy food for it from the market.

In other words all food-related problems are solved by the free market :libertarian:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

I take it back. I did have one weird food interaction.

I was playing as the Children of the Dragon origin (or whatever it's called) where there's a space dragon in your home system.

Minor spoilers for a very early origin-related event:

One very early event has it land on your planet and feed.

I did not have food for it. But I was easily able to afford to buy food for it from the market.

In other words all food-related problems are solved by the free market :libertarian:

That also happens if you’re a robot empire with that origin.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Jabarto posted:

One thing I will say is that its kind of odd having kinetic artillery but no energy equivalent. I hope something gets redesigned to occupy that niche

Why? Energy and kinetic do not have to have 1:1 comparable solutions. Just a while ago people were complaining that Stellaris is balanced to the point of being bland. If Kinetic and energy offer completely different attack profiles, then countering an enemy requires more effort and should be more interesting

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

SirTagz posted:

Why? Energy and kinetic do not have to have 1:1 comparable solutions. Just a while ago people were complaining that Stellaris is balanced to the point of being bland. If Kinetic and energy offer completely different attack profiles, then countering an enemy requires more effort and should be more interesting

People will say all sorts of things about subjects they don't understand (balance doesn't mean making everything exactly the same). But to answer your question, "one of them inexplicably lacks a long range counter and the other doesn't" isn't a very interesting problem to solve.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FishMcCool posted:

This sale:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-dlc-byob/

It's pretty good. Buy 3, get 55% off; 4 gets 60% off, and 5+ gets 65% off. Only select stuff though.

I was actually watching some of this stuff on isthereanydeal.com... I'm not going to go into a breakdown on each one, but generally speaking the newer the DLC, the better it compares against historical price. Nemesis for instance drops down to $9 when you have 3 items. The historical lowest price on that is $8.98.
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/stellarisnemesis/info/

Federations on other hand? It's okay... it drops to $9, but lowest historical price is $4.94. However, ~$5 price point hasn't been since since July 2021.
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/stellarisfederations/info/

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 18, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SirTagz posted:

Jabarto posted:

People will say all sorts of things about subjects they don't understand (balance doesn't mean making everything exactly the same). But to answer your question, "one of them inexplicably lacks a long range counter and the other doesn't" isn't a very interesting problem to solve.
Yeah I want different empires to have different playstyles, not "Everyone has the same things and also those things are weirdly set up"

That said I'm not hugely pushed about this specific example. Mainly because it will require extensive reworks before I can bring myself to care too much about the combat minigame beyond my number > their number

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Splicer posted:

Yeah I want different empires to have different playstyles, not "Everyone has the same things and also those things are weirdly set up"

That said I'm not hugely pushed about this specific example. Mainly because it will require extensive reworks before I can bring myself to care too much about the combat minigame beyond my number > their number

I actually loved the way SotS did both a random chance of getting techs with the tie-in that certain races had better chances (Hivers with physical guns, the bird people with energy weapons/shields). Not sure how you'd do that in Stellaris besides having a certain playstyle chosen when you make your species.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BadOptics posted:

I actually loved the way SotS did both a random chance of getting techs with the tie-in that certain races had better chances (Hivers with physical guns, the bird people with energy weapons/shields). Not sure how you'd do that in Stellaris besides having a certain playstyle chosen when you make your species.
It occurs to me that one way to actually leverage the otherwise janky as hell research system into something interesting would be deckbuilding.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are the food-to-alloys civics purely suboptimal, or did I just miss a build? I tried playing Overtuned Barbaric Despoilers, livestock slavery, genetic mastery. The plan was to kidnap /conquer pops and slap on Delicious and Nerve Stapled, but I found by the midgame I always had a surplus of minerals from spaceborne mining and a shortage of labour from non-founder pops being primarily food.

The one upside I can see would be turning that mineral surplus into strategic resources without a care in the world, but it seems like playing as Tyranids or fleshcrafters isn't quite balanced vs typical workflows.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Are the food-to-alloys civics purely suboptimal, or did I just miss a build? I tried playing Overtuned Barbaric Despoilers, livestock slavery, genetic mastery. The plan was to kidnap /conquer pops and slap on Delicious and Nerve Stapled, but I found by the midgame I always had a surplus of minerals from spaceborne mining and a shortage of labour from non-founder pops being primarily food.

The one upside I can see would be turning that mineral surplus into strategic resources without a care in the world, but it seems like playing as Tyranids or fleshcrafters isn't quite balanced vs typical workflows.

take unyielding as your first tradition, build every starbase you can within your cap, slap a hydroponics into every starbase and enjoy the best earlygame alloy production in the game

Also if you are Lithoids you can use this strategy to get a massive amount of food that is purely used for alloys without having to share it with pop-upkeep and without having to waste pops on farms.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Is there a hint of when the combat rework will drop? I’m feeling like jumping in to try a game after a long while not playing but I want to try with those changes.