Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

Dear MarketWatch,

Oh gently caress it, pretend I bolded the entire thing.

I'm confident that - even if this moron somehow figures out how to do a financially sound thing in this case - the OP is so dumb that they will figure out a way to gently caress up their life completely within 2-3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Simps are the ultimate BWM idiots. Reminds me of this guy:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not our usual fare but I think this counts?
https://twitter.com/MikkiHEL/status/1581963010549374976

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Maybe unroll those 30 tweets and post the text here if you want people to read it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This is even worse if you've seen the genuinely horrifying video of her husband hurling abuse at her. Not the time to be thinking about your simp money.

This, however, is pretty hilarious. But also, how in the world can somebody think that they have murdered several people and just keep on living their life?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Bamboozling Wannabe Mafiosos: <NAME> agrees to have the body removed from <NAME'S> crib

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i think these two tweets near the end explain scammers in general. they're really good at exploiting people
https://twitter.com/MikkiHEL/status/1581981729489063936

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

i think these two tweets near the end explain scammers in general. they're really good at exploiting people
https://twitter.com/MikkiHEL/status/1581981729489063936

the thing about scammers that I've really keyed into in my older life is they have zero feelings about the situation they create, but you have tons of feelings about it. If they walk up to you and start fast talking you and you tell them to go away, they move on to being angry and blaming you for being an rear end in a top hat and rattling your cage and making you upset, this can sometimes unlock your "let's just get this over with" response that opens your wallet. You're left feeling bad, sometimes you feel bad for making them mad. The scammer feels nothing, they move right on to the next mark free of actual anger or shame, and do it all over again.

In summary, it is perfectly ok to tell scammers very loudly that they're full of poo poo and can get hosed, it's never personal to them, no matter how they act in front of you, they're doing that poo poo all day and feel nothing in truth.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cyrano4747 posted:

BUT, federal jobs have locality pay. They take the COL of the area where the job is into account and adjust accordingly. So if you're working for the Bureau of Land Management somewhere in bum gently caress nowhere Montanna you might actually be making pretty near the base pay. But if you're in DC you get a 31.5% locality bump.
The locality pay adjustment for the region “rest of the US” is 16.2%.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Do federal employees pay federal income tax?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Silly Newbie posted:

yes, why would they not?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes, why would they not?
you would think that it'd be easier to just adjust the salaries downwards and avoid having them withhold at all, cut a bunch of steps out of the process for a bunch of people

(you would not be wrong, but "easier" isn't really a factor, god could you imagine the yelling noises if federal workers didn't pay federal taxes?)

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Silly Newbie posted:

Yes. I believe there are exceptions for military deployed in combat zones. I also think foreign service staff get special per diems that are untaxed (but their salaries are still taxed).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you would think that it'd be easier to just adjust the salaries downwards and avoid having them withhold at all, cut a bunch of steps out of the process for a bunch of people

(you would not be wrong, but "easier" isn't really a factor, god could you imagine the yelling noises if federal workers didn't pay federal taxes?)

It would in fact not be easier because then they would have to track any other potential W2 incomes and all other non-W2 income (gambling, lottery winnings, certain types of settlements, family businesses, trusts, etc, etc, etc) and deductions for that employee as well as their spouse if they are MFJ and back into what their withholding should be per pay period. There is an established (yet lovely) way of figuring all of this out with the burden of doing so largely on the taxpayer that already exists and is used for every other W2 employee in the US.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes, why would they not?

some federal and state government employees don't pay into social security so there's no tax there. I assume it's in exchange for a better state pension/retirement plan but ha ha this is the BWM thread I'm sure somehow it doesn't work out nearly as well.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

if you work for the fed, and pay fed tax, that's literal wage theft and stupid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

lol

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LifeSunDeath posted:

I know right? Also, when you pulled over in your license plate-less car (since the CONSTITUTION says that congress can't pass laws restricting interstate traveling) remember to say "I'm a traveler" so they can't give you a ticket.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Florida has been purposely destroying the state pension system for at least 20 years. They've been pushing new employees onto 401K investment plans too to try to kill the pension, which they might actually do in the near future. Florida's management of the pension is also bad because they didn't do things like divest themselves from Russian enterprises in the lead up and initial invasion of Ukraine. Florida actually invested more in Russian enterprises in the lead up to the war, which is pretty BWM. The state reportedly lost around $200 million dollars by March of 2022 due to this. Almost all the other benefits offered by the state unsurprisingly suck too.

Don't forget the part where DeSantis frames this as "divesting from woke companies" or whatever dumb poo poo he said. Voting Republican is BWM but that doesn't stop Florida sooooo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vice President posted:

some federal and state government employees don't pay into social security so there's no tax there. I assume it's in exchange for a better state pension/retirement plan but ha ha this is the BWM thread I'm sure somehow it doesn't work out nearly as well.

Public agencies with an equivalent pension plan or other retirement payment scheme are exempt from paying into social security. I'm pretty sure there is a review process involved so your agency can't just declare themselves exempt in exchange for running the shittiest pension plan ever, and the exemption can get pulled if your agency's pension plan falls too far.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Don't forget the part where DeSantis frames this as "divesting from woke companies" or whatever dumb poo poo he said. Voting Republican is BWM but that doesn't stop Florida sooooo

Texas also wants in

quote:

The Normangee Independent School District was forced to redo an $18 million bond sale that had already been underwritten by UBS Financial Services after the bank’s parent company in August was added to a list of firms that the GOP state comptroller considers to “boycott” the fossil fuels industry.

The district is demanding UBS refund it for the costs it incurred after it had to resell the debt as a result. Municipal-bond yields surged dramatically and made it more expensive to reissue the debt. But the school district blames UBS -- not the Republican attorney general’s office that is enforcing the law. In fact, the attorney general’s office is representing the district in its effort to recoup the costs incurred from having to resell the debt, according to a document provided through a public records request.

“NISD resold the bonds and hired a different underwriter, at a loss to NISD,” Lauren Downey, assistant attorney general and public information coordinator, said in the Oct. 12 dated document. “In the event the OAG is unable to successfully negotiate a resolution with UBS, our office anticipates filing suit.”

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I refuse to believe that these camgirls are only out for my money. I mean I know they’re out for those other people’s money. But what we have is special.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I know right? Also, when you pulled over in your license plate-less car (since the CONSTITUTION says that congress can't pass laws restricting interstate traveling) remember to say "I'm a traveler" so they can't give you a ticket.

LOL!

haljordan posted:

A girl from my high school who is now a lunatic anti vaxxer down in Florida lost $150,000 investing in crypto loving lmaoooooooooooo

haljordan posted:

I'll have to find her FB post about it, one sentence is literally something like "HOW COULD SOMETHING CALLED STABLECOIN NOT BE A STABLE INVESTMENT"

edit: Funniest poo poo I've read in at least 5 years

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 17, 2022

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
My Husband and I Can’t Stop Spending Thousands of Dollars on Dining Out and Target Runs

quote:

Dear Pay Dirt,

My husband and I got married at 22, and have been functionally broke for our entire five-year marriage. When we got married, he was in the Air Force and I was finishing college with significant medical bills. It seemed like every time we got ahead, something catastrophic would happen (our dog tore her ACL and needed surgery, the car’s distributor died, a friend came to live with us after leaving an abusive relationship, etc.). We were never able to get ahead enough to save, and he left the military in March of this year with basically no savings.

After six months of struggling and living in his parent’s basement, my husband finally found the kind of contractor job he’d heard about as an airman—nearly six figures, amazing benefits, and three weeks of vacation, plus a hefty monthly VA payout from his service. I made a detailed budget and we swore we’d stick to it to pay off the debt we’d accumulated and save to buy a house. We did well for about a week, but in a month and a half and a multi-state move, we’ve run through a $7,000 credit limit, $6,500 in savings, and my husband’s first monthly combined VA benefits and work paycheck of $5,600. All of our bills got paid, but besides two big area rug purchases totaling $1,500 and a $500 debt payment, we spent the rest of the money on eating out and Target runs.

We’re both devastated to have only $75 left in our bank accounts at the end of all this. We thought we would do better having more income, but we both have ADHD and lack impulse control. It feels like we’ve tried every budgeting app under the sun, including Mint and YNAB, as well as our own Google Sheet budget we can access from our phones. I’m so sick of not being able to save or use our money effectively, especially as now I’ve developed a disability, so we’re relying on my husband’s one income. We want to have a baby in the next few years, but even though we have almost double the most income we’ve ever had coming in, we’re still hemorrhaging money. I know part of it is that we both grew up lower-middle class and have never had access to these kinds of resources, what my husband calls “seeing dollar signs.” Please help!

They spent $19k in 1.5 months and have nothing to show for it except 2 rugs. :psyduck:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

hallo spacedog posted:

If you're one of the people who gets violently ill just looking at vr what recourse do you have in that situation.

It would really suck if I was forced to wear one of those for work, not that I think it likely nor do I have a job even but I'm just curious.

I've got like 4 pages to go to catch up, so maybe someone else has already said this, but VR is abelist as gently caress. What if you neck can't support that weight? What if your arms don't work? What if you're blind? There are so so so many ways it can be bad for the differently abled even ignoring that fact that a lot of "normal" people have issues with it such as nausea. I just don't see how you ever make that poo poo ADA compliant for workplace use.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
VR is a toy

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ebola Roulette posted:

When we got married, he was in the Air Force

the story could've stopped here

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2022/10/17/bitcoin-fails-to-produce-1-block-for-over-an-hour/ posted:

It took more than an hour to mine a block of bitcoin (BTC) on Monday, leaving thousands of transactions stuck in an unconfirmed state.
According to on-chain data from several block explorers, the interval between the two latest blocks mined by Foundry USA and Luxor was 85 minutes.
an 85-minute interval between blocks can be expected to happen once every 34 days, not taking into account difficulty changes.

I know I hate it when I go to the store and use fiat currency like a chump and I have to stand there at the credit card machine for over an hour waiting for it to process.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ebola Roulette posted:

My Husband and I Can’t Stop Spending Thousands of Dollars on Dining Out and Target Runs

They spent $19k in 1.5 months and have nothing to show for it except 2 rugs. :psyduck:
They also moved between states, which can be bonkers expensive. It probably also means a lot of the Target trips were furniture and household goods to set up the new place. I mean it's still a shitload of money, but I bet that's how they did it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vice President posted:

I know I hate it when I go to the store and use fiat currency like a chump and I have to stand there at the credit card machine for over an hour waiting for it to process.

you're supposed to wait for 6 confirmations so more like 2 hours

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

the thing about scammers that I've really keyed into in my older life is they have zero feelings about the situation they create, but you have tons of feelings about it. If they walk up to you and start fast talking you and you tell them to go away, they move on to being angry and blaming you for being an rear end in a top hat and rattling your cage and making you upset, this can sometimes unlock your "let's just get this over with" response that opens your wallet. You're left feeling bad, sometimes you feel bad for making them mad. The scammer feels nothing, they move right on to the next mark free of actual anger or shame, and do it all over again.

In summary, it is perfectly ok to tell scammers very loudly that they're full of poo poo and can get hosed, it's never personal to them, no matter how they act in front of you, they're doing that poo poo all day and feel nothing in truth.

I feel this post. It's always a crisis, only you can help me, last resort poo poo.

The rule I came up with is do they help you when you ask? Also do they ever contact you when they don't need something.

Took getting burned more times than it should have to figure it out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

I feel this post. It's always a crisis, only you can help me, last resort poo poo.

The rule I came up with is do they help you when you ask? Also do they ever contact you when they don't need something.

Took getting burned more times than it should have to figure it out.

a quote from a podcast I like, "if someone comes up to you with a problem and a solution at the same time, you know you're getting scammed."

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LifeSunDeath posted:

a quote from a podcast I like, "if someone comes up to you with a problem and a solution at the same time, you know you're getting scammed."

Lie Cheat and Steal from last week or the week before?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Lie Cheat and Steal from last week or the week before?

Yes

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, one of my favorite pieces of advice for collaborating with other humans is "if you are raising a problem you also have to offer a solution" so, uh

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Epitope posted:

Hmm, one of my favorite pieces of advice for collaborating with other humans is "if you are raising a problem you also have to offer a solution" so, uh

it works differently when you're at work, doing a common task, have established trust, etc. it's about strangers or people you slightly know, coming to you frantically needing help but have the perfect solution! MONEY

that said in business people scam each other all the time so who knows...broad saying don't mean much irl, just know that the vibe you get that you're about to get scammed is usually correct.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't seem like very useful maxim. Most strangers who ask something from you are going to have the solution and not be like, hey do you know how to solve this problem? Like if my car's battery is flat I'll be asking you for a jump. Problem and solution together, must be a scam? If someone at the store asks me to grab something from a tall shelf, rather than saying "that's so high can you help me brainstorm a solution??" are they scamming me? Maybe an alternate where if someone has a problem and the solution is money, maybe they just want money?

edit: perhaps in the above example, if my problem was a flat battery and I asked you for $80 for a new battery (or a loan for $80 a new one but my old one is under warranty so it'll get reimbursed and I'll pay you back), or the second, I've got a go fund me for a leg lengthening procedure so I can reach high shelves.

powderific fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 18, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If they bring a problem and a solution for YOU that you did not solicit dude not for them that you can help them fix or a genuine request for help

That's one goony rear end post right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm a goony rear end person sooo... That does make more sense. But the person it was posted in response to was clearly talking about other people needing help for their problems, same with what life sun death is describing?