Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Can I get some money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i know these communities share a login and the forums are technically all one thing but it's still absolutely wild people who previously in point of fact had no actual stake in a single loving thing here, except as detached observers, can just show up and raise hell about something that nobody actually participating seems to have been making noise about. Yet, can foist un-asked-for accountability in what's pretty obviously less-than-genuine concern, get told to gently caress off by a good chunk of the people involved, and still get taken seriously.

There's no skin in the game except to pointlessly insert oneself and the resultant drama, and get some brain tingles out of it, and it's hugely disruptive. Some people gave Plinkey money, other people got money from Plinkey, and the world kept turning.

Somehow the cynical anticipation of drama is casus beli to create drama which is just god damned insane unless your entire sincerely motivated drive is the creation of said drama.

So gently caress all of this, sincerely.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey, so I'll post my offer again in this thread, because I don't know if it was picked up on in the QCS thread, just to have a nice carrot, not just a bundle of sticks.

If Plinkey makes the fund more transparent by regularly publishing simple monthly reports and manages to get rid of the 20% patreon cut one way or another (or even just provides a more sensible permanent option as an alternative), I'll contribute $300 to the fund. Hope it's a good enough incentive.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Pewdiepie posted:

Can I get some money?

no, gently caress off

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
C-SCAM

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Paladinus posted:

Hey, so I'll post my offer again in this thread, because I don't know if it was picked up on in the QCS thread, just to have a nice carrot, not just a bundle of sticks.

If Plinkey makes the fund more transparent by regularly publishing simple monthly reports and manages to get rid of the 20% patreon cut one way or another (or even just provides a more sensible permanent option as an alternative), I'll contribute $300 to the fund. Hope it's a good enough incentive.

you should put that $300 towards the new fund, which will be all the things you want and more! we could really use the help, join us: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014910

AzzaccaRye
Dec 9, 2020

Riot Bimbo posted:

i know these communities share a login and the forums are technically all one thing but it's still absolutely wild people who previously in point of fact had no actual stake in a single loving thing here, except as detached observers, can just show up and raise hell about something that nobody actually participating seems to have been making noise about. Yet, can foist un-asked-for accountability in what's pretty obviously less-than-genuine concern, get told to gently caress off by a good chunk of the people involved, and still get taken seriously.

There's no skin in the game except to pointlessly insert oneself and the resultant drama, and get some brain tingles out of it, and it's hugely disruptive. Some people gave Plinkey money, other people got money from Plinkey, and the world kept turning.

Somehow the cynical anticipation of drama is casus beli to create drama which is just god damned insane unless your entire sincerely motivated drive is the creation of said drama.

So gently caress all of this, sincerely.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

transparency is a good thing for charitable efforts that have grown like this and it's cool that goons can get the help they need, community oversight to ensure the money is being disbursed properly doesn't sound like an outrageous thing at all

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Good soup! posted:

transparency is a good thing for charitable efforts that have grown like this and it's cool that goons can get the help they need, community oversight to ensure the money is being disbursed properly doesn't sound like an outrageous thing at all

fly back to fyad, troll

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth
let's organize a worldwide charitable organizations with offices and representatives in every country, capable of equitable sharing of necessary goonbucks, but failing someone posting a thread about doing all that, maybe this is it?

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth
who's ready to do all the work that OP has done, except also write everything down and submit to a monthly spanking sessions?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bongmaster posted:

who's ready to do all the work that OP has done, except also write everything down and submit to a monthly spanking sessions?

there's a thread for it now, i hope everyone mad here moves over there to get it off the ground with more transparency and less overhead or whatever vague and wishy-washy goals they suppose are possible by dead reckoning and making a google search. it would be a good institution for the community, and the subscribers here can feel free to move donation

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Good soup! posted:

:gb2gbs:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sorry your stuck with me

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Good soup is our rorschach

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it is actually pretty reasonable, for people doing stuff like this to want transparency and accountability. And, it is also reasonable to defer to the participating and invested parties as to how it takes shape, and only if it's wanted. This mess was injected from the outside. This drama was created by people observing, not participating, the thing itself was not creating harm to the community or anybody involved, and by what is reasonable, what is currently happening is completely loving irrational, sanctimonious, and in the most charitable interpretation, still incredibly loving paternalistic on a forum where almost everyone ranges from their late 20s to their loving 50s in age, all for something that prior to all of this, wasn't actually causing any problems. There are a million jokes that have been made about the capability and intelligence of goons, but at the end of the day almost everyone is an adult with the power to spend their money as they please, and as a group, does not need the oversight of a cohort of self appointed cyber-dads intervening beyond facilitating and keeping discussion functional.

lmao it's the veneer of "reasonable" weaponized too. I'm sure some of these people are acting in good faith, but I can count plenty of known shitheads among the people stirring this poo poo up, and it's a small wonder they're always around when poo poo blows up on this website. It's tiresome. How many times has this stupid rear end pattern played out on this website, and how often has it actually fixed anything that lasted beyond the fervor of the in-moment drama? Once? Twice? It's a fraction of the total, to be sure.

I don't know Plinkey, but it's seriously between him and the people who hand him money how this should be handled, and there was never any deception about what the relationship would be, and yet it worked and works fine for people who need it?

Something untoward actually coming out, someone running off with money, would hopefully spur increased accountability, but that's still between organizer and donor, and not observers deciding something must be done about the apparently functional goonfund that's Being Run Incorrectly as determined by people with no skin in the game, who will gently caress all the way off the second there's another self-made disaster in another forum to gawk at and prod.

I hope the other project works out and ends up being worth all this, it's still garbage this poo poo keeps happening and actually sways anything.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Haha, gently caress dude, a PlayStation Five? With all the games for free?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Haha, gently caress dude, a PlayStation Five? With all the games for free?

what the gently caress? all i got was Video Games

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Zero games for zero dollars sounds reasonable

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

and the avatar

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Computer money ---> arf. It will happen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
^^^ Money sent.

GOD IS BED posted:

you should put that $300 towards the new fund, which will be all the things you want and more! we could really use the help, join us: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014910

I mean, whichever comes first, I guess. It'll probably take some time to set up that new fund properly anyway.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Well at least I learned why courts have rules about standing.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Riot Bimbo posted:

it is actually pretty reasonable, for people doing stuff like this to want transparency and accountability. And, it is also reasonable to defer to the participating and invested parties as to how it takes shape, and only if it's wanted. This mess was injected from the outside. This drama was created by people observing, not participating, the thing itself was not creating harm to the community or anybody involved, and by what is reasonable, what is currently happening is completely loving irrational, sanctimonious, and in the most charitable interpretation, still incredibly loving paternalistic on a forum where almost everyone ranges from their late 20s to their loving 50s in age, all for something that prior to all of this, wasn't actually causing any problems. There are a million jokes that have been made about the capability and intelligence of goons, but at the end of the day almost everyone is an adult with the power to spend their money as they please, and as a group, does not need the oversight of a cohort of self appointed cyber-dads intervening beyond facilitating and keeping discussion functional.

lmao it's the veneer of "reasonable" weaponized too. I'm sure some of these people are acting in good faith, but I can count plenty of known shitheads among the people stirring this poo poo up, and it's a small wonder they're always around when poo poo blows up on this website. It's tiresome. How many times has this stupid rear end pattern played out on this website, and how often has it actually fixed anything that lasted beyond the fervor of the in-moment drama? Once? Twice? It's a fraction of the total, to be sure.

I don't know Plinkey, but it's seriously between him and the people who hand him money how this should be handled, and there was never any deception about what the relationship would be, and yet it worked and works fine for people who need it?

Something untoward actually coming out, someone running off with money, would hopefully spur increased accountability, but that's still between organizer and donor, and not observers deciding something must be done about the apparently functional goonfund that's Being Run Incorrectly as determined by people with no skin in the game, who will gently caress all the way off the second there's another self-made disaster in another forum to gawk at and prod.

I hope the other project works out and ends up being worth all this, it's still garbage this poo poo keeps happening and actually sways anything.

I agree with all of this and want to add that a lot of what is being called for as transparency is just window dressing and not actually transparency. Like "Oh absolutely bro, here's my spreadsheet of definitely 100% legitimate transactions, why no I can't tall you more" is really all that different from what we have now.
The only way to be absolutely sure, while preserving anonymity of the recipients, is with an independent audit, which LMAO. I say this as an actual accountant who works in a non profit setting. A big chunk of my job is finding ways to massage money through "transparency" measures.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

hold up pewdiepie

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

thank you kindly goon. Goonerosity. More to arf.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Riot Bimbo posted:

the thing itself was not creating harm to the community or anybody involved
we literally don't know if this is true or not, because we don't know what is happening to the money. if donations are not being used for their intended purpose, then that is harm being done to the community. and before you say that nobody itt is saying anything about that, people have been asking for transparency since the thread started! we can't just isolate this to the last few days. This is an active problem that has been on-going, and has now developed to its current state. this 'drama' has not just emerged from the ether like some would try to frame this. in fact, this whole thing could've been resolved ages ago if Plinkey had not responded so aggressively towards people who, early on, wanted to help out, or had advice on how to keep things accountable.

and also, as I said before people are already unsubscribing from the Patreon. presumably those people care and are part of this community!

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

we literally don't know if this is true or not, because we don't know what is happening to the money. if donations are not being used for their intended purpose, then that is harm being done to the community. and before you say that nobody itt is saying anything about that, people have been asking for transparency since the thread started! we can't just isolate this to the last few days. This is an active problem that has been on-going, and has now developed to its current state. this 'drama' has not just emerged from the ether like some would try to frame this. in fact, this whole thing could've been resolved ages ago if Plinkey had not responded so aggressively towards people who, early on, wanted to help out, or had advice on how to keep things accountable.

and also, as I said before people are already unsubscribing from the Patreon. presumably those people care and are part of this community!

you don't have any idea what you're talking about

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ArfJason posted:

thank you kindly goon. Goonerosity. More to arf.

pm sent

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Wow that sounds really serious. You should post about it in qcs so a mod or admin can see it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Thank you.
No...
Thank you.

Together, we can do this. We're almost there.

💰💰💰
💰💰💰
💰💰💰
💰💰💰
💰💰💰
💰💰💰
              |
              |
              |
              |
              |
             \ /

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

bebop esq posted:

can you state one single reason why it is actually beneficial to the fund not to release any numbers?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bebop esq posted:

weirdly, neither do you, because you have literally no proof of how the money is being used and that is being held up as a good thing about this fund

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
As someone whose only stake in this is that drama around leftist spaces is exhausting, here are the outcomes that we have for this:

1) plinkey follows through on giving some details, the people saying they're a grifter call it bullshit and everything cycles around again
2) plinkey doesn't, so everyone saying they're a grifter continues to and everything cycles around again
3) plinkey just gets sick of being called a degenerate gambler and thief and gives up, which will also be held as proof of everything having been bullshit
4) everyone chills the gently caress out, people who believe plinkey is doing good can continue to be involved here, the new one tries to get together and maybe ends up better or worse if they do

It feels like too many people are desperately trying to get #3 because it will make the most people the most miserable and create the most drama. Is there genuinely any accounting that plinkey could provide that doesn't violate the stated principles for this fund that would actually satisfy people who think its a scam?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

are you making this criticism with hopes that it will lead to plinkey changing? because plinkey has made it emininently obvious he is unwilling to do so. are you making this criticism to discourage people from contributing to the fund? because if that's the case wow thats loving lovely.

pentyne posted:

weirdly, neither do you, because you have literally no proof of how the money is being used and that is being held up as a good thing about this fund

people have attested, over and over, that this is not a problem for them. if this is a problem for you, either do not donate yourself, or convince others not to donate.

if you do the latter, people in here are going to get angry at you

A big flaming stink has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Oct 18, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

can you state one single reason why it is actually beneficial to the fund not to release any numbers?

cause goons to go insane/get tude banned.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shiroc posted:

1) plinkey follows through on giving some details, the people saying they're a grifter call it bullshit and everything cycles around again
What about the internet gives everyone the "all criticism is insincere and no improvement will ever be enough for them" brain worm?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

GOD IS BED posted:

it's loving hilarious how much of this parallels bnr, just gotta say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Shiroc posted:

As someone whose only stake in this is that drama around leftist spaces is exhausting, here are the outcomes that we have for this:

2) plinkey doesn't, so everyone saying they're a grifter continues to and everything cycles around again
3) plinkey just gets sick of being called a degenerate gambler and thief and gives up, which will also be held as proof of everything having been bullshit
4) everyone chills the gently caress out, people who believe plinkey is doing good can continue to be involved here, the new one tries to get together and maybe ends up better or worse if they do

It feels like too many people are desperately trying to get #3 because it will make the most people the most miserable and create the most drama. Is there genuinely any accounting that plinkey could provide that doesn't violate the stated principles for this fund that would actually satisfy people who think its a scam?
uh, you're missing the possibility were we set this thing up the right way, and move to help people more efficiently. people have been trying to improve the fund since the start! literally nobody wants to see this blow up! it clearly has a good purpose and serves the community. in fact,many of the suggestions itt (such as not depending on one single person) would help to prevent the fund from blowing up out of nowhere