Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

To say nothing of the fact they can honestly fly. Mistborns can only fall with style.

I mean, if you want to get technical with it... surgebinders are literally changing the direction they fall, so I don't think you could get a more precise case of "falling with style" if you tried :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Shardplate also has some pretty intensive and heretofore untested magic resistance. Even without surgebinding, Radiants have pretty scary powers between blade and plate, and you have to beat them on that level (lightsabers plus power armor) since your direct magic attacks probably don't work.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Infinite Karma posted:

Shardplate also has some pretty intensive and heretofore untested magic resistance. Even without surgebinding, Radiants have pretty scary powers between blade and plate, and you have to beat them on that level (lightsabers plus power armor) since your direct magic attacks probably don't work.

Better keep that fancy helmet sealed, a couple good Riots or Soothings could take out half the Knights Radiant

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
e: ^^^^^ oh god I hadnt even considered, that's going to be a DISASTER

And further to the emotional problems point, there's no moral or behavioral requirement for most of the invested Scadrians to keep their powers. Except for hemalurgy obviously, they're invested and that's that.

It all seems fairly well-balanced, actually, when you look at the whole picture. But there are so many fun interactions to come, I am never not excited to see what off-the-wall poo poo he comes up with when things start colliding openly.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Question about surgebinding: Does ANYONE who says the ideals and mean them become a surgebinder, assuming their soul is "cracked" for investiture? Because it seems that the gate way more open to surgebinders through oaths than mistings and genetics

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In my TSA reread news, I know the fandom is pretty split on Shallan, or at the very least she has more vocal detractors than Kaladin or Dalinar do, and I've been pretty lukewarm about her myself. But I honestly prefer her flashbacks to Kal's and the bit with the deserters and Bluth - which I just got through - has always stayed with me as one of my favorite moments in the series.

quote:

Shallan closed Bluth’s eyes, not looking at the ripped-out hole in his torso, the bloody entrails.[...] Exhausted, Shallan rose, but hesitated as she saw something poking out of Bluth’s jacket. She leaned down and pushed the jacket open.
There, stuffed in his pocket, was her picture of him. The one that depicted him not as he was, but as she imagined he might once have been. A soldier in an army, in a crisp uniform. Eyes forward, rather than looking down all the time. A hero.
When had he taken it from her sketchbook? She slipped it free and folded it, flattening the wrinkles.
“I was wrong,” she whispered. “You were a fine way to restart my collection, Bluth. Fight well for the Almighty in your sleep, bold one.”

I liked all her interactions with Tyn, too. Tyn has stayed with me despite being a pretty minor character all things considered.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Question about surgebinding: Does ANYONE who says the ideals and mean them become a surgebinder, assuming their soul is "cracked" for investiture? Because it seems that the gate way more open to surgebinders through oaths than mistings and genetics

i think number of higher order sapient spren might be the "hard" limit.

from how they've talked, new ones are made periodically but it's pretty uncommon, especially relative to human lifespans. no idea if there's numbers anywhere but, from how Shadesmar has gone, I assume there are several orders of magnitude fewer sapient spren than there are humans

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

between a mistborn and a releaser, I'm going with the one whose power is so absurdly great that God canonically had to write a nuclear testing ban into his magic system

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pretty sure it's also canonical that shardplate stops magical influence and attack until breached

I don't see how mistings or even mistborn can stack up

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

eke out posted:

i think number of higher order sapient spren might be the "hard" limit.

from how they've talked, new ones are made periodically but it's pretty uncommon, especially relative to human lifespans. no idea if there's numbers anywhere but, from how Shadesmar has gone, I assume there are several orders of magnitude fewer sapient spren than there are humans

Oh yeah I forgot about the spren requirement. Definitely limits things especially considering the political and/or social climate in shade at any given time

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clearly the solution is to manufacture ghosts, which you then bind as artificial spren to gain incredible magic powers. Ambitious? Yes, but nothinf could possibly go wrong with it.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Clearly the solution is to manufacture ghosts, which you then bind as artificial spren to gain incredible magic powers. Ambitious? Yes, but nothinf could possibly go wrong with it.

Maybe sentient spren can be shattered into more slightly smaller sentient spren!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

We've seen a lot of spren turn into swords but i propose: what if we made one of those sentient swords into a spren

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

The extreme regeneration surgebinders have on its own places them infinitely behind a Mistborn. Vin could never even hope to seriously hurt Kal while he could kill her with one hit.

To say nothing of the fact they can honestly fly. Mistborns can only fall with style.

We don't really have a good benchmark yet for how pewter healing compares with Stormlight. Slower for sure, but i'd bet that you can heal shard wounds flaring pewter. It is investiture after all. Pewter has the benefit of not needing a difficult storage and transportation medium.

Coin shot can pierce steel armor, so its more than enough to crack and break shardplate, and Steel and lead balls are far cheaper than infused gemstones.

Shardplate protects you from emotional allomancy which is a nice benefit for the Radients.

I can't remember if it was a WoB that a bronze misting would hear Rhythms with active surgebinding or if they'd hear nothing. I'd bet on the former and that would give Scadriel a recon advantage.

A Mistborn is a better all rounder than any one Radiant, and i'd put my money on Vin over Kaladin because of that. Kaladin is also a martial god in an radiant order well suited to combat too. Without Mistoborn or Hemalurgy, in the future any surgebinder will easily outclass any misting, even one who has sworn the 2nd or 3rd only, but it will quickly become conditional. Might only be 1k full knights on all of Roshar vs 10's of thousands of mistings in the long game. Can seekers sus out a Lightweaver? Can skilled rioters send unaware surgebinders into panic attacks and cause damage? It'll be an interesting matchup for sure.

NikkolasKing posted:

In my TSA reread news, I know the fandom is pretty split on Shallan, or at the very least she has more vocal detractors than Kaladin or Dalinar do, and I've been pretty lukewarm about her myself. But I honestly prefer her flashbacks to Kal's and the bit with the deserters and Bluth - which I just got through - has always stayed with me as one of my favorite moments in the series.

I'm halfway on reread through Oathbringer now, and this time through i'm having a very different reaction to my earlier passes. Mainly that Kaladin is a whiny impulsive little poo poo and I just want him to get help at the same time I want him to get spanked for constantly being so bullheaded and loving everything up. Shallan is precious and I want her to succeed and I really don't look forward to my opinions of her during Rhythm of War when we have to go through the whole thing again.

Potato Salad posted:

between a mistborn and a releaser, I'm going with the one whose power is so absurdly great that God canonically had to write a nuclear testing ban into his magic system

Dustbringers are intensely destructive, but lack the precision of Windrunners or Edgedancers, and they can't fly. I'd still put money on the mistborn just due to the mobility advantage.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Mistborn Secret history/ Rhythm of War:

I just re-read the scene in Rhythm of War between Wit and Ruthar. Someone in this thread at some point mentioned by WOB that Wit has very clearly used allomancy at least once, and one of the emotional ones. I'm assuming it's the Ruthar scene - if you need to guarantee that someone flies off the handle, rioting is how you would do it. Since Stormlight Archive happens so much later than the first Mistborn books, it means Wit has already had decades (centuries?) to practice his rioting and soothing. Puts a wild spin on how much he inspires characters, or insults everyone and does/does not get a rise out of them. It's not just that he gives an inspiring heartfelt speech to Kaladin, but he is probably also rioting the sense of determination, etc etc.

And then later in the book he becomes a Lightweaver, so he's shown his ability to use investiture from 3 different planets in the Cosmere so far. What a character that Wit is.

Related: Because I read stormlight first, he's always going to be Wit to me. None of this Hoid appears once in the book to give the right nudge nonsense. Wit has a much more developed personality and motivation, so that's what he is in my brain.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

What is this a reference to?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm halfway on reread through Oathbringer now, and this time through i'm having a very different reaction to my earlier passes. Mainly that Kaladin is a whiny impulsive little poo poo and I just want him to get help at the same time I want him to get spanked for constantly being so bullheaded and loving everything up. Shallan is precious and I want her to succeed and I really don't look forward to my opinions of her during Rhythm of War when we have to go through the whole thing again.

I don't remember having a problem with Kal in OB. I think part of why I disliked RoW was I felt both he and Shallan were running in place by that book. But I liked them before it.

Oathbringer/Rhythm of War spoilers
I don't think I liked the multiple personality thing during my first run of OB but I softened on it last time and in my current reread I'm trying to focus more on Shallan and give her a greater chance all the way through. In my memory, many of my favorite "emotional" scenes involve her, like her encounters with Wit or the thing I quoted earlier.

But Kal does have his reunion with his family in OB which is top tier in making me feel happy and satisfied.

On the flipside, every time I read Teft's name in my current post RoW reread, I kinda clench up with dread inside.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My general problem with all the flashbacks are that they are super dull until you get to the twist, they’re good twists but I don’t know if it’s worth all the words put into them.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Remember with surgebinder Vs allo/feru/hema, that is already been established that there are things like anti-light tech, and all sorts of allomantic and feruchemical tech, and each side will probably have access to some of the other side's tech through espionage or capture or betrayal. So there are all sorts of balancing features

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh yeah what did folks think of the TLM chapters

https://www.tor.com/2022/10/17/read-the-lost-metal-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-ten-and-eleven/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Invalid Validation posted:

My general problem with all the flashbacks are that they are super dull until you get to the twist, they’re good twists but I don’t know if it’s worth all the words put into them.

In general, I somewhat agree with you about the flashbacks in WoK, WoR and RoW, but Dalinar's flashbacks are top tier, and were frequently more interesting than the "current" chapters in Oathbringer.

It's a slow build up, but I liked what I read so far. MeLaan will become a worldhopper, that's cool. Interesting that she will be among the first that Harmony sends out, which means for example the Terriswoman hanging around Gavilar was definitely acting on her own. Not surprising, considering she clearly furthered Odium's aims. I wonder whether we will see MeLaan in the second half of Stormlight Archive. Also, seeing Wax going all SCIENCE on the Trellium spike will be cool, I did like the Navani/Raboniel sections in RoW. There were these offhand comments that certain fabrials work better with certain metals, with the specific examples immediately making sense for all Mistborn readers. So I hope we get some lights/rhythms related insights from Wax, too.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Metal is far easier to have a stockpile of on hand than stormlight, so in a fight a full mistborn would wreck most radiants, healing or not. They would suffer a bit like spiderman though, their powers are heavily advantaged in an urban setting. Mistings would really have to be playing the numbers game, since they don't really bring much to the fight individually. Even a coinshot or pewterarm aren't mobile enough to go toe to toe with most radiants without getting chopped.

TLM good so far, I'm expecting the people coming after Wayne about money to be a twist where they're actually his accountants who are trying to track him down since he's actually majorly wealthy. Pretty sure he invested heavily into the daughter of that one scholar who ended up making it big with his backing. Can't wait for Wax to finally pick up the phone from Harmony, which after my reread of mistborn 2 seriously gently caress Harmony for the Lessie plot. I'm wondering if any of the heroes will pick up some spikes, going up against a bunch of multispiked baddies is a bit worse than what they've gone up against in the past. That or a breakthrough from the bands/with the malwish so Wax can go supersaiyan again.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

TLM his accountants who are trying to track him down since he's actually majorly wealthy. Pretty sure he invested heavily into the daughter of that one scholar who ended up making it big with his backing.

haha i am also 100% counting on this to happen, in plot terms it's basically necessary

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I feel like there's a bit of an overlapping pattern in Sanderson's romances.

Shallan/Adolin/Kaladin is a bit like Vin/Elend/Zane. You've got the two superpowered people who can relate to each other vs. the guy who feels insecure and left out because he can never be what his love is. And of course, the girl ends up choosing the "normal guy" anyway.

And, where I'm at in WoR with Kal's and Shallan's proper introduction and their sniping back-and-forth at one another, it kinda made me think of Wax and....I forget her name. The first Mistborn Era 2 book seemed to be going really hard on him and her ending up together, despite (IIRC) his betrothal to Steris. Here too Brandon wants to make it look like Kaladin and Shallan are perfect for one another but Shallan, just like Wax, ends up being happy with her betrothed.

But I 've only ever read the Era 2 books once many years ago now and my memory of them is even spottier than the other books.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Grundulum posted:

Surgebinding is incredibly powerful. Part of it is reading through the lines, part of it is WoB. Spoilers for I think the latest book:Limits were built into Surgebinding because without those limits, Dalinar could literally remove the connection between particles in an atom, which is just nuclear fission and they could do it as long as they had Investiture to do it. Dustbringers can do the same. The thing above a Shard from the latest novella can superpower Surgebinding, allowing them to do so on a continent or planet wide scale. That's what happened to the original home of the Vorin. Hell is lliterally the planet they hosed up with unrestricted Surgebinding. When the humans came to Roshar, Honor put limits on it so that wouldn't happen again.
Each surge effects physics, so if you have no limits and enough investiture you can do most anything. Windrunners can gently caress with gravity, give them enough investiture and no limits and it should be possible to make a black hole. Dustbringers can set off literal nukes, iIllumination I believe can influence the whole of the EM spectrum. That's a lot of X-rays, gamma rays, all that. So, they had limits. Too bad the Honorblades don't have that and Honor is dead so the rules are gone.

I probably hosed some of that up, but the idea is there.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 19, 2022

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Grundulum posted:

In the back matter of the last book where it goes into the magic system, it mentions something about how one of the powers (Division?) could be used to cause nuclear explosions, that Honour added a restriction to stop this and that the relevant honourblade doesn’t have this restriction.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

remind me: the honorblades are inefficient/leaky, right?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

remind me: the honorblades are inefficient/leaky, right?

yeah for the people who can't actually surgebind. idk about for the actual heralds (i think they've got basically a personal pipeline to Honor's power so it may just not matter for them) or people who can already use the surge (like if Kaladin got the one Szeth had)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elhokar is an interesting example of Brandon's writing.

I'm on Part 3 of WoR right now and I remember enough about it and Oathbringer to roughly summarize as WoR as gently caress Elhokar and OB is like I'm sorry, Elhokar. Or at least this is the intent. Book 2 relentlessly presents him a piece of poo poo and then Book 3 tries to build him back up.

I doubt I need to convince anyone on this forum of the flaws of hereditary monarchy, but even trying to set all that aside and look at Elhokar Kholin the man - which I think is what Brandon wants - it's hard. Glancing at other discussions of tis, someone said "if Dalinar can be redeemed, anyone can." Which I suppose is true. Speaking purely as a fan of interesting stories and characters, Jaime Lannister over in ASOIAF proves that someone can be introduced as the absolute scum of the earth and still end up being beloved by the fandom.

I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say in all this rambling. I guess, if I have any coherent point, it's this. The ten Orders of Radiants all have their own "ideals". I think Brandon clearly favors the Windrunners over something like the Skybreakers. (OB spoilers) Saving the life of someone like Elhokar who, whatever his crimes, was a helpless man trying to defend his son, would always be right in their eyes. At the same time, their oaths seem convenient to them. Kaladin does promise to help Moath kill Elhokar but changes his mind and that is the honorable thing to do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kaladin made the wrong decision at the end of WoR, and made the wrong decision at the beginning of OB, and I'm hoping his arc comes around to realizing that acting as a hitman for the lighteyes doesn't really protect anyone.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Kaladin’s shardplate helmet grows pointy ears and leaves his mouth uncovered as he growls his last ideal: “I shall not kill”

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also I don't think I've ever mentioned it but for a character who only got a single interlude/chapter, Ym (the old man who gave shoes to poor children) is awesome and his death pissed me off more than most.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Agreed. gently caress you, Nale. I'll always hate you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This character Redin, the "bastard son" of the one random noble who got killed, is he supposed to be important? He's a star of a flashback chapter of Shallan's, and there’s the whole interlude where he has to kill his father to be “disinherited.”

I dunno, just feels like he's supposed to be someone important, but I can't imagine why or how. I can’t recall if he’s even seen after WoR.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NikkolasKing posted:

This character Redin, the "bastard son" of the one random noble who got killed, is he supposed to be important? He's a star of a flashback chapter of Shallan's, and there’s the whole interlude where he has to kill his father to be “disinherited.”

I dunno, just feels like he's supposed to be someone important, but I can't imagine why or how. I can’t recall if he’s even seen after WoR.

RoW spoilers: He was the bastard son of the king of Jah Keved, which is currently controlled by Odium aligned forces. I suspect he'll be unimportant for book 5, but there's a back half to SA. Maybe he will kind of lead a resistance movement against the Odium controlled Jah Keved?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Obviously he joins odium and changes his name to Zellion.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

He's written as way too cool not to come back and do some poo poo. One of the best not dead minor characters.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

yeah for the people who can't actually surgebind. idk about for the actual heralds (i think they've got basically a personal pipeline to Honor's power so it may just not matter for them) or people who can already use the surge (like if Kaladin got the one Szeth had)

I don't think leaky is the right word. I think it just takes more investiture to use the surges.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

New chapters from lost metal up, new ideas for where it's going. I think Wax might pull off going full mistborn, but somehow in a captain america super soldier serum sort of way where he's the only one who can/gets to do it. Only because we can't just have the whole cast get full mistborn powers. I'd think Kelsier would have tried it too, though since he was one maybe he wouldn't have cared to recreate making mistborn.

Edit: gently caress me it's the drat book title.

Brutor Fartknocker fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

New chapters from lost metal up, new ideas for where it's going. I think Wax might pull off going full mistborn, but somehow in a captain america super soldier serum sort of way where he's the only one who can/gets to do it. Only because we can't just have the whole cast get full mistborn powers. I'd think Kelsier would have tried it too, though since he was one maybe he wouldn't have cared to recreate making mistborn.

Edit: gently caress me it's the drat book title.

Yes, gently caress me too. I never even considered Lerasium to be the Lost Metal! Everybody naturally thinks of Atium, but Lerasium is actually a lot more useful to have big quantities of! This really could change a ton of stuff, if they were able to make Mistborn on demand, or even just a few dozen/hundred each generation.