Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Fun fact: "Return this to your hand at end of turn" is, wouldn't you know it, an "End of Turn" effect :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I just found the old announcement that we aren’t getting any single player content, which I’m mostly fine with.

So, uh, did we find out who killed the Sire? Was it Sylvannus? Or is his card supposed to indicate that he wasn’t actually killed?

I was wondering about this too, they even did that murder mystery story with a bunch of clues you were supposedly able to put together.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Folks still seeing Theotar since the nerf? I've only seen him once and took him out of my deck because at 5 he was competing with what I wanted to do.

I've been running a fun Paladin Standard deck. Forgot where I found it and I did make a couple of changes (super rare for me!) but it's been decent/good.

### Custom Paladin
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Knight of Anointment
# 2x (1) Righteous Protector
# 2x (1) Sinful Sous Chef
# 2x (2) Battle Vicar
# 2x (2) City Tax
# 2x (2) Equality
# 1x (2) Order in the Court
# 2x (2) Seafloor Savior
# 2x (3) Alliance Bannerman
# 2x (3) Muckborn Servant
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) Righteous Defense
# 1x (3) Shimmering Sunfish
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 1x (4) Cariel Roame
# 2x (4) Dun Baldar Bridge
# 2x (4) School Teacher
# 2x (5) Spammy Arcanist
# 1x (6) Sylvanas, the Accused
# 1x (7) Mr. Smite
# 1x (7) The Leviathan
# 1x (8) Lightforged Cariel
# 1x (8) Varian, King of Stormwind
# 2x (9) Lightray
# 1x (10) Sire Denathrius
#
AAECAZ3DAwz76AOR7APZ+QO/gATgiwSwsgTHsgTXvQTp0ATA4gSX7wSk7wQOzOsD8PYDi/gDt4AEpY0E7p8EyaAE0KwElrcE57gE4tME2tkEgOIEv+IEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

lol HSreplay just locked its one free piece of battlegrounds info, the hero tier list, behind premium, anyone got a good free bg resource?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Blasmeister posted:

lol HSreplay just locked its one free piece of battlegrounds info, the hero tier list, behind premium, anyone got a good free bg resource?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J_NuzXHEsppgrAWJzLEZwESfiiNyURo3pCBAO1ga2mE/edit?usp=sharing

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Thanks, this is pretty indepth!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blasmeister posted:

Firestone also has a tier list.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Folks still seeing Theotar since the nerf? I've only seen him once and took him out of my deck because at 5 he was competing with what I wanted to do.

I'm still playing him in my Spooky Mage deck, which is the thing I've been playing lately to try to get back to D5. I used to get it every month just doing dailies, but if you take a break it really takes some grinding to get back due to the lack of stars.

I think I've seen an opponent play him maybe once in 20 games.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

NorgLyle posted:

You're clearly missing that sweet Uther of the Ebon Blade + Jailer synergy.

i... actually want to try this now

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I just had someone play Jailer and then Ragnaros, Lightlord. Thought I had that one in the bag with all my freezes.

I did just get to do my favourite Theotar pull though: Xyrella hero when I've lost a dozen or more frost skeleton dudes.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I still play him in almost every deck because I like control gameplay the most so it still makes sense.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Edit: The beast Deathrattle exploit has to be called what it is.

Still exists, I still call it an exploit. This is loving absurd.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

meatpimp posted:

They don't have ritual dagger? What exploit is this?

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
just calling cubic leaper scaling an exploit, I think.

Edit: Wait, it's not actually cubic, is it? I've read people call it that, but if you get perfect RNG with golden baron + leapers, it should just be a base 3 geometric progression. 3^leaps instead of leaps^3

Luff fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 18, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mayveena posted:

After playing a few dozen games in both Ranked and Casual Wild post-nerf I have seen Theotar ONCE. There is probably still a place for it in some Reno decks and i'm sure the meta will adjust but it's basically gone? People were just slotting it in all over but that extra 1 mana seems to have killed the enthusiasm.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

meatpimp posted:

If you mean just the frogs doubling/tripling with Baron that’s how it’s supposed to work, otherwise they’d be completely worthless as a minion. And they ARE worthless without Baron and Parrot, which makes putting the build together not as easy as it looks.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
And yet if Beasts are around someone is always able to put it together, somehow.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PneumonicBook posted:

And yet if Beasts are around someone is always able to put it together, somehow.

Only in slow, low MMR lobbies. When people actually learn to play, they often get punished out or people learn to play around it. It's a strong build, but that's in a field of strong builds.

Capped
Jun 21, 2005
Note: that particular baron is still a 2/14, making Zapp a hard counter in that instance

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm only at 6.1k in Battlegrounds, it just seems like a ringer build like that, when I went in strong with 100+ dragons and divine shield is just a different category. But... I'm learning.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I just managed to annoy MAGA4Ever#1432 so much in a Casual Wild game that they conceded. I ALWAYS rope and poo poo against them. I know this is not the thread for political bullshit, but gently caress them.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Desert Bus posted:

I just managed to annoy MAGA4Ever#1432 so much in a Casual Wild game that they conceded. I ALWAYS rope and poo poo against them. I know this is not the thread for political bullshit, but gently caress them.

Lord's work.

Been trying to make an Elise Mill deck in Duels but haven't been able to break past 7 wins so far - fetching Dew Process is too unreliable past the first few games, even with help from all the Priest tutors. Best highlight so far was having it completely explode in my face when my opponent cast Ancient Reflections on my Reborn-buffed Selfish Shellfish and milled me in like 2 turns.

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 19, 2022

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

my next opponent. this is fine. i'll be fine.

edit: i wasn't fine

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
lmao I had to call my roommate in to watch this one wrap.

I didn't even have enough time to build BIG BEEFY BOIS. Had to settle for donking people out for 20-25 damage/turn for 5 rounds.

Mad props to 3rd golden hogger who I sold a bigger, better golden hogger to replace with a perma divine shield one.

Ended one turn with 58 gold unspent and 10 cards in hand.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anyone playing Marvel Snap? Is there a thread for it? Thoughts if you've tried it. I know it's a ton shorter than HS and that makes it attractive for me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mayveena posted:

Anyone playing Marvel Snap? Is there a thread for it? Thoughts if you've tried it. I know it's a ton shorter than HS and that makes it attractive for me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002418&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Over in mobile games subforum

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I know if I Google "Reno Kingsbane Wild" there are probably a few people who have done it better and different but I am having fun with my homebrew so ??? Still tinkering because I never stop tinkering.

Mulligan for what Maestra shows you as. Sometimes you can just drop a bunch of pirates or whatever before the reveal. I won a game with Silver Hand Recruits. Keep a real close eye on how much you draw and what's in the deck that's still 2 count. Maestra fucks people up and then they expect pure Kingsbane and/or Pirates it is delightful.

I am having an insane amount of fun with this if you're on my friend's list (DesertBus#1367 NA server), challenge me and borrow it cause lol. 58% win rate 100% fun.

### RenoBane
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Buccaneer
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Gone Fishin'
# 1x (1) Kingsbane
# 1x (1) Paralytic Poison
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 1x (1) Silverleaf Poison
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 1x (1) Swashburglar
# 1x (2) Blade Flurry
# 1x (2) Captain's Parrot
# 1x (2) Cavern Shinyfinder
# 1x (2) Dirty Tricks
# 1x (2) Double Cross
# 1x (2) Maestra of the Masquerade
# 1x (2) Swindle
# 1x (2) Tuskarrrr Trawler
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Mimic Pod
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) Raiding Party
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Dread Corsair
# 2x (4) Tinker's Sharpsword Oil
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
# 1x (5) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Vanish
# 1x (8) Shadowcrafter Scabbs
#
AAEBAYO6AhjEAZIE1AXuBqgIkbwC/MEC5dECu+8C/KMDzrkD590DqesDrOsDofkD+4oE7qAE5bAEqbMEltQEmtQEuNkE3NoEl+8ECK8Q1YwDqssD99QDkp8E958Et7ME/dMEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 20, 2022

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
New VS report up:

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-244/

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Just a reminder to get your flu shots. I haven't had the flu in nearly 20 years and forgot how debilitating it can be. The headache was so intense I couldn't even play hearthstone on my phone, all i could do was just curl up and not sleep because of the headache.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Mayveena posted:

I started playing it a couple of days ago. The short games are great and I like the gameplay/Snap system but I can sense it's going to start getting really grindy in terms of getting new cards pretty soon so I don't know how long I'll keep playing for. Also there are way too many currencies, achievement/XP point systems and menus going on, it's a bit too complex outside the game itself.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

victorious posted:

I started playing it a couple of days ago. The short games are great and I like the gameplay/Snap system but I can sense it's going to start getting really grindy in terms of getting new cards pretty soon so I don't know how long I'll keep playing for. Also there are way too many currencies, achievement/XP point systems and menus going on, it's a bit too complex outside the game itself.

Same here, for all of this.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Just a reminder to get your flu shots. I haven't had the flu in nearly 20 years and forgot how debilitating it can be. The headache was so intense I couldn't even play hearthstone on my phone, all i could do was just curl up and not sleep because of the headache.

Some of us can not get vaxxed without terrible things happening. All of you who can get vaxxed to protect people like me? Please do. I am drat near deaf from getting vaxxed for various things. Care about yourself, care about the people around you.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'll also agree with that, I played a few games of Marvel Snap today. I have no idea what the bunches of different sets of numbers going up means or does for me at all and I hate getting disoriented and distracted by that crap.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Marvel Snap is a grift with laser-focused microtransactions so predatory stapled on the execs at blizzard have had raging boners all week and don't know why. It's not much of a game and is entirely designed to separate players from their money in ways that Hearthstone could only dream. For all the people who crow about gEmS In mY hEaRtHsToNe and BATTUL PASSEZ, you should go play Marvel Snap for a week to get a sense of perspective.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Snap has one major mixed blessing in that while you can't spend $ to just buy/craft all the good cards, you're at the mercy of RNG as to when you do get certain cards as you progress. I got lucky by finding Ka-Zar early but I'm at level 80 or something now and still no sign of Angela who seems to be pretty core.

Edit: ^^ This is definitely true although I do appreciate the intention to not just let whales buy their way to better decks immediately. There's a lot of advice around for people trying to make tthe most of the game as F2P.

victorious fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 20, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

victorious posted:

Snap has one major mixed blessing in that while you can't spend $ to just buy/craft all the good cards, you're at the mercy of RNG as to when you do get certain cards as you progress. I got lucky by finding Ka-Zar early but I'm at level 80 or something now and still no sign of Angela who seems to be pretty core.

I'll repost what I dropped in a discord last night:

I would say this about Marvel Snap, and I think it deserves a pin as a public service: if this scratches your itch, do what you enjoy, but everyone should read how the progression/monetization works, because its incredibly opaque, predatory, and unintuitive, and nobody should be throwing money or excessive time at this without a basic understanding of what the app is asking from you to be able to meaningfully play.

-------------

The progression is intentionally obscured and you hit the wall pretty quickly, so if your account didn't roll the correct order of card unlocks, you get drowned in meta decks after a certain point and since there's no targeted way to get the cards you need to complete a deck, it's either sink literal thousands into the slot machine or just never progress. There's also no catchup mechanisms, so the people who started playing earlier will be far ahead and able to leverage that advantage to stay ahead on the ladder. Additionally, the matchmaking is populated largely by bots (this is intentional, the bots are NPCs that the app generates to keep matchmaking time short), and the early adopters got to boost their ranking against bots in the absence of enough players to matchmake. Later players will have to grind their early levels against real people making progress slower.

-------------

All the cards in Marvel Snap are allocated to Pools. You get cards on the progression track for the Pool you are in based on your Collection Level (CL). Your randomly assigned hidden seed given on account creation determines what order inside each pool you get cards in the pool.

The pools are:
• {All Starter and Recruit Season cards} => These cards are not in any of the pools and are earned differently.
• Pool 1 => 46 cards. You earn these from CL 18 to CL 214.
• Pool 2 => 25 cards. You earn these from CL 222 to CL 474.
• Pool 3 => 75+ cards. You earn these at CL 486+.

The early estimates for "complete collection of all cards in all pools", when 75 cards were in Pool 3, was CL 2700-3250.

All new cards get added to Pool 3 (and, my suspicion is, after the cards already assigned to your account seed, so after CL 2700).

And there are no targeted ways to circumvent the pools or the CL. You are expected to just dump cash to boost CL or grind for 1000s of hours to get the cards you want. And all the new, cool, meta-defining stuff? Stuck at the end of the grind.

Also, as this is a PvP game, that means that everyone you get matched up against on ladder who has been playing longer is just permanently ahead of you. In the early meta, the game was all about abusing multiple copies of Nova with Carnage/Punisher. But a lot of the meta-critical cards, Armor, Cosmo, Winter Soldier, they were locked behind CL and the people who got their first just stayed ahead because they got unlocks faster from winning more. Even doing dorky stuff like making a Collector or Galactus deck was often impossible because you just couldn't assemble the pieces.

The novelty wears off quickly and the game absolutely pelts you with ads to SPEND MORE MONEY GET MORE CARDS. All while industry golden boy, Ben Brode, who hopped out of Blizzard right as all the sex pest stuff hit full steam, claims that this is the "fairest, free-to-play experience you can get".

In addition, they also got clapped back about this once: https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/marvel-snap-devs-backflip-nexus-events-1887284/

These events essentially mirror loot boxes, where players use in game currency to perform a gacha roll to unlock exclusive rewards. A single Nexus Event roll cost 180 gold, and 10 rolls cost 1,800 gold. The highest tier cards had a 1.5% drop rate, but there are three different rewards placed at this tier.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks. Where does Runeterra rank for you in predatory monetization? I've been playing HS since the alpha (we were all blessed with a key when the first thread got started) and I'm getting tired of it finally.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Runeterra's super f2p friendly. I'm pretty sure I have enough wildcards/shards to craft every card they print until the game dies and haven't played seriously in a few expansions. Plus some kind of budget spider/Darius deck was usually at least kind of playable.

When Pigs Cry fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 20, 2022

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Runeterra doesn't even have good methods of pay to win. You can buy decks but they aren't even like super outrageously priced (like $17?). They also have event passes which have a bunch of champion capsules and chests in their reward track but they are insanely good value if you care about cosmetics at all, better than Hearthstone (well, until the recent Arclight event that lacks a lot of the cosmetics that past passes have had).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I once got the flu on back to back NYEs. It's not fun!