Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DemoneeHo posted:

You could also channel ancient Egyptian powers to always topdeck the card you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPFP2QCHic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that's really the game outside of actually piloting your deck, you're building your deck in such a way that you know the probabilities of getting the cards you need when you need them

to be clear, i don't think it's an objectively bad mechanic, just one that i don't personally have an interest in

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I’d be more forgiving of that approach to deckbuilding if all the good cards didn’t cost more money.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you can use ""pirate"" clients like cockatrice or xmage to play mtg over the internet while freely selecting from any card in existence for your deck
presumably that's only really good for playing against friends you already know though, unlike the official MTG Online and MTG Arena games (why are there two of them ??!?!?!) which have proper matchmaking and stuff

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MTG Online has the real marketplace for cards and it also has almost all of the cards in the game's history so it's the only place to play "eternal" formats

MTG Arena is flashier and easy to use and is what people use for current stuff but its card pool is much shallower

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Yeah, MTG Arena has the appeal of being a convenient app on PCs and phones, like Hearthstone. Then you have Magic Spellslingers, which is just Hearthstone with Magic aesthetics. Except uglier.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jennifer Hale released a statement, doesn’t reveal much that’s wasn’t obvious already

https://twitter.com/jhaletweets/status/1582084319677644801?s=20&t=lLuQibXdol5Spq9gLwtv3g

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
When you think about it, its really insulting to the real Bayonetta, who is real and my friend

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Isn't a major part of developers using British voice actors so they don't have to deal with SAG?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

she was in sag, they just wanted bayo to be british op. as for other games sometimes its just bcos of a european localisation, like w xenoblade chronicles games

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Then you have fantasy games where, like film and TV, everyone just speaks bri'ish because

E: now that I'm thinking about it I want a fantasy rpg with surfer dude and valley girl accents everywhere

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Endwalker: alisaie's new outfit looks dumb

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Then you have fantasy games where, like film and TV, everyone just speaks bri'ish because

E: now that I'm thinking about it I want a fantasy rpg with surfer dude and valley girl accents everywhere

Dragon Age famously had American dwarves

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
this song still kicks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=419g0A7Tl-g

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wish i had a 360 so i could play Ninety Nine Nights again that game whips rear end

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One million troops.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

One million troops.

That was 2

We don't talk about 2......

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Dragon Age famously had American dwarves

The 2008 Prince of Persia game had a prince with a basic American accent, one reason a lot of people hated it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sakurazuka posted:

That was 2

We don't talk about 2......

N32? I never played that one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dont think it was great but honestly all I can remember is how brown it was

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

that's very fair

I got into Magic getting my rear end beat by decks with $100 four-ofs too (Jace, the Mind Sculptor) but I had the good fortune of borrowing cards from my best friend who had a great collection and I could make something with a high power level. I like to think it made me better at Magic, crucible by fire-style

Funnily enough Jace, the Mind Sculptor is in fact exactly the 4 x $100 card I was referring to.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
back in my day we called him jace the wallet sculptor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

back in my day we called him jace the wallet sculptor

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

Funnily enough Jace, the Mind Sculptor is in fact exactly the 4 x $100 card I was referring to.

yeah, there was not a budget build that was going to outdo someone who had a playset of those. I don't know if you were in the game long enough to know but they ended up banning that card within just a couple months of it rotating out because everyone was loving tired of it. iirc, I think they banned Stoneforge Mystic at the same time because it was enabling Cawblade, which was exactly the only other deck anyone ran

I was running a fun G/W deck that was the Ezuri + Elvish Archdruids elves package, but with Sun Titan backup. I don't remember what else was in it other than a one-of Eldrazi Conscription for fun to throw on a Birds of Paradise. I loved that deck

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

october horror chat: are any of the Clock Tower games worth playing

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Oh boy if you were mad about MTG prices back when the Mind Sculptor was in standard you may not want to look at prices now.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Propaganda Hour posted:

Oh boy if you were mad about MTG prices back when the Mind Sculptor was in standard you may not want to look at prices now.

I've played a little Arena this summer but are standard staples in that range now?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It looks like the current tier one standard decks are anywhere from $100 to $500 on paper, but most of the standard competitive events have been on Arena anyway since COVID.

So probably easier to play official competitive, but where they are really gouging people are in collector's versions of cards with limited runs of alternate art and such, especially for people who play Commander

Jay Rust posted:

Is this real ??

It's for the goofy Unfinity set that's not in standard, however you can play it in the eternal formats

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 17, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is this real ??

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jay Rust posted:

Is this real ??

Yeah they printed another Un-* set except instead of silver borders on all of them they decided some of them would be eternal legal, which is determined by the shape of the holo stamp in the bottom middle, but also Wizards QC is so bad that:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Saint Freak posted:

The only true way to play X-2 is with the TinyBee X-2 Gun Controllers.

I thought you were joking, but holy poo poo. If only I owned a PS2 and a CRT.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

im watching jerma play space channel 5 vr, and it is bringing much joy to my heart to see him love it so much

rox
Sep 7, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpQ829crYAI&t=463s

rox
Sep 7, 2016

and now i am blessed with the return of the omega gaming weekend. live right now on the jermatorium

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

One million troops.

wooooooooow

Help Im Alive posted:

october horror chat: are any of the Clock Tower games worth playing

Oh yes, though with some caveats.

I'm gonna say Giallo a whole bunch. Giallo is just a kind of Italian horror/thriller genre, sorta the Italian version of (s)exploitation films. The works of Dario Argento, notably Phenomena, are a major source of inspiration for a few of the Clock Tower games.

Clock Tower SNES: solid point & click game, one of the earliest console horror games, pretty quick and easy to play through with several alternate endings as well as a few random things that change each game and some various route-exclusive stuff. Nothing major, it's just that some rooms will change location on different playthroughs and certain puzzle items have a few locations or possible spawn locations they could be in or alternative items that spawn instead of them. An interesting little title. Worth a play. Has a fair amount of Giallo references in it, lotta Phenomena influence, some good chase music too.

Clock Tower PS1: also a solid point & click game, you get to pick which characters and areas you explore each day and one of the new features is that the Scissorman can show up at any time instead of just scripted sequences like the SNES game. Continues to drip with Giallo, has some excellent chase music, some all around lovely camp and spooky stuff.

Clock Tower 2 PS1: ehhh, not a good point & click game, also the first game not by the main Clock Tower creator Hifumi Kono. Lacks a lot of the Giallo appeal and has more of a Resident Evil feel to it, but it's still a point & click game. This game is mostly notable for the multitude of endings that more or less amount to "you messed something up and died" as well as the protagonist's alternate personality being pretty great, a gruff jackass named Bates. The starting chapter has you dealing with the most classic kind of Clock Tower stuff, running around and avoiding a stalker or 2, but later chapters can be summed up with "enter a room, find out if there's a zombie there, leave room, go to bathroom, wait for cutscene where you use a broom to bash the zombie's head in, repeat until no more zombies." The personality switching mechanic is largely filled with traps where going into a cutscene with the wrong personality can lead to early bad endings. Bates is also the personality that knows how to fire a gun so if you want to actually shoot any of the zombies instead of dipping back to the bathroom you'll need to have Bates out. This game is also only very tenuously connected to the rest of the series. The connection is centered around namedropping a single item from the SNES game that may or may not even spawn for you because it was one of the SNES puzzle items that could have been swapped for another puzzle item. The best example of what the bad endings in this game are like is this ending from after you do a bunch of zombie killing. At the beginning of the game, there is some decorative samurai armor. If you examine it, you spend the rest of that chapter getting stalked by the armor. If you don't examine it, it never activates and you can safely get through the chapter without the armor ever coming after you. After the zombie shooting chapter, which mind you is located in a hospital in a separate location from where the samurai armor was, you will enter a room with a glass window in the ceiling. If you triggered the samurai armor to stalk you at the start of the game, you'll be safe as you pass under this window, but if you avoided triggering it and never made it hostile, then another character will have brought the armor to the hospital roof and will throw it through the window, crushing you and ending your game there. Can't recommend playing this one.

Clock Tower 3 PS2: Capcom tried to make their own Clock Tower game and it was... ehhhhhhh. First Clock Tower game to not be point & click. It has some funny and interesting ideas, like the fact that you are a time traveling magical girl who is being stalked by serial killers who were so good at serial killing that they've become super powerful and invincible and can only be properly taken care of by shooting them with a bow and arrow that'll send them to hell for an amount of years determined by how many lives they took. There are a few different stalkers in the game but the best ones are thrown at you early on and by the end of the game you've got the worst incarnation of the Scissorman ever, a pair of twins who hold swords in front of them as if they were scissors and they're like... circus clowns or whatever and it's all dumb and bad. Cutscenes are very awkward because everyone is talking very quickly and they're all overanimated. The puzzles are serviceable and the main gimmick to each area is that you're trying to help a particular victim or victims or whatever stalker you're dealing with move on. You're thrown into various different eras but it doesn't particularly matter and by the game's end you're just in a mansion meant to bring to mind stuff from Clock Tower but it's just kinda... meh. Also it has this annoying game mechanic where being around a stalker for too long, hiding or not, will make you lose control of the protagonist and she'll start running around every which way and it's a nuisance. If you get it cheap it's worth a try or if you want to you can just search up a playthrough on youtube and judge for yourself. Personally wouldn't recommend. Story gets creepy in a weird way by the end too.

Haunting Ground PS2: Not a Clock Tower game, but started as one and is effectively Capcom taking everything from Clock Tower 3 and improving on it. Not a point & click game either. Haunting Ground is absolutely a must. You can't fight back well, the stalkers are all varied and interesting, the story is pretty ok albeit similarly creepy to Clock Tower 3's story. Stalkers are always active on the map so they are always running around doing something so you can distract them or hide behind doors while they're passing by. You get a dog. The dog is good. Your friend is the dog and they help you get stuff. Game's good, would recommend, it really is Capcom taking a hard look at Clock Tower 3 and just making something good, even if Haunting Ground does suffer from you not being able to get into magical girl fights where your magical bow and arrow sentences the stalkers to 1000 years of Hell.

NightCry PC (and others): Hifumi Kono returns to make a game about a paranormal stalker wielding giant scissors. Hifumi Kono wants to remind everyone that Giallo rules. Hifumi Kono cannot tell a good story to save his life and NightCry is not a good game. In fact, I would say that NightCry is a bad game. I love NightCry. NightCry is basically exactly what I wanted out of a new Clock Tower game even though none of it makes a lot of sense and there's just a bunch of random wacky poo poo with strange cults, sacrifices, paranormal stalker entities with giant scissors, and lots of ways to die. NightCry brings point & click gameplay back and has you exploring a cruise ship trying to solve mysteries and puzzles while avoiding death. It's a game that is a hot mess and I totally get why people don't like it. I wouldn't recommend playing it unless you are enough of a fan of the SNES and first PS1 game to say "gee I wonder what this director will do decades after these games were made." Your first exposure to the Scissor Walker is after the guy you're talking to gets his hand caught in a soda vending machine and then he's pulled in throw the hole and ground up inside somehow. Why? Who cares, Hifumi Kono is back and he wants everyone to know he still loves Dario Argento and Giallo flicks. Not recommended. Odd game. Lotta weird little stuff.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I've played a little Arena this summer but are standard staples in that range now?

Thankfully no single cards are that expensive in Standard anymore. Even the most expensive and desirable cards are $50-75 each with the vast majority of "chase rares" being like $10-30. You can also get surprisingly far with a budget friendly deck that is less than $20 if you keep it mono-colored. It's the volume of cards has changed significantly since that era. Sets are coming and going every few weeks with the biggest stretch between sets being about two months. It's very difficult to keep up with the constant pace of change. That, and the rate of bannings and balance changes have been a sore spot for players since Eldraine. RIP Meathook Massacre and Yorion just in the last week.

Personally this has driven more and more people into already popular formats like Commander. A new set comes out and maybe one or two cards get swapped out for the deck you brewed, you don't have to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just print MTG cards and put them in 5 sleeves so no-one can tell they're not real

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So does anyone watch the Dota 2 International or League World Championships anymore? I haven't checked in for a few years

(Just noticed our new stickied threads)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

So does anyone watch the Dota 2 International or League World Championships anymore? I haven't checked in for a few years

(Just noticed our new stickied threads)

hell yeah i do

i think TI gets most of the posters since it's very decidedly the boomer esport but there's a handful of us league diehards. i'm gonna get the OP in proper shape once worlds is over so that it's more accessible to non-viewers who might be interested in giving watching it a shot once the new season starts, even if they're not intent on posting enthusiastically about it