Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tetramin posted:

This is like goons who decide they’re gonna “get into writing” so they go buy a bunch of the most expensive paper, expensive pens, and a tobacco pipe and figure the actual writing part happens as a result.

Please confine these comments to my thread tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
OP, I really hope you're starting to get nervous from reading this thread, and you realize that you haven't done nearly enough research or groundwork

gently caress, dude: turn the space into a convenient store and sell your baked goods there. Once you learn to bake, I mean

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
All the local "baking" phenomena I've see in area food blogs and local news are people who set up a grey kitchen (or whatever its called for cooking in your home) and have been baking and selling for years before word gets out about this amazing insanely good baked item.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i know the OP says that the commercial building was defunct, but do you know why whatever the last business was in that building failed? this might be good information to know to avoid making similar mistakes, whatever those might have been.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

op I see your profile says you are in Ohio, I am in SE Michigan and will promise to buy a couple of your donuts when you open if you're near-ish to me.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Has a goon ever launched a food service biz and experienced success? I know we’ve had some restaurant managers who were doing ok but I don’t think they built the place.

Someone linked me this thread yesterday and I could have sworn it was the same goon who was trying to open a coffee shop a few years back. I was able to dig up that thread and found it was somebody else. Op maybe this similar saga is useful to you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906525

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

lobster shirt posted:

i know the OP says that the commercial building was defunct, but do you know why whatever the last business was in that building failed? this might be good information to know to avoid making similar mistakes, whatever those might have been.

Maybe it was the coffee shop from the last time a goon tried this.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

OP, I apprenticed at a family-owned bakery that did all the good stuff you want to do, like bread shares and union wages. They had to let me go after a month because there wasn't enough work for me, the two owners, and their single part-time employee. They helped me find and secure a new apprenticeship before cutting me loose, which was very respectful and kind. Just something to think about for hiring

Literally every single time, I just think of something new the OP hasn't considered

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Someone linked me this thread yesterday and I could have sworn it was the same goon who was trying to open a coffee shop a few years back. I was able to dig up that thread and found it was somebody else. Op maybe this similar saga is useful to you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906525

Nice. This guy seems like he'd know a thing or two. This is also his most recent post tho

Jisei posted:

OP, this guy knows what he's talking about. I bootstrapped a coffeeshop a couple of years ago and despite getting a screaming deal on a roasting machine*, already owning a 3-group La Marzocco Linea that I'd rebuilt the previous year in my garage as a hobby project, doing the buildout by myself, and getting a $600/mo lease, it still cost me about $50k all in to open the doors, and that didn't include a single day of payroll or income after opening.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do it for less, but...it's not likely, if you intend the place to stick around. Doubly unlikely if you spend all this remaining savings just to open the doors and then can't cover payroll or vendor invoices. The day your milk vendor stops coming, you're dead.

(* I know OP isn't looking to roast but I spent what a new LM GB5 costs so it works out the same)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Not only are you going to fail, but your failure will be the first thing future employers learn about you if they google you. You will have to explain the gap in your employment history as "Couldn't run a business." The entirety of your legacy will be when goons talk about failures, you'lls will get a sentence or two mentioned in passing as a cautionary tale of how stupid goons are, and how easily they all manage to gently caress up.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Literally, someone else on these forums tried to do this exact thing already and hosed it up. You don't even know how to make a loving doughnut.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
People who don't gently caress up businesses. Successful business people, don't go to the somethingawful forums and ask "Is this a money making idea?" and then ignore every piece of advice given. In fact, successful business people know the answer to that question before anything else, ESPECIALLY before buying expensive equipment.

When you gently caress this up, I'm going to print this thread out as a stunning indictment of the pro-life abortion movement.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

Not only are you going to fail, but your failure will be the first thing future employers learn about you if they google you. You will have to explain the gap in your employment history as "Couldn't run a business." The entirety of your legacy will be when goons talk about failures, you'lls will get a sentence or two mentioned in passing as a cautionary tale of how stupid goons are, and how easily they all manage to gently caress up.

What a buzz kill.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Rationale posted:

I just bought a Univex srm 40 for $1630 so you can’t tell me poo poo!

Post a pic of it

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Is the user name “Zaurg but a donut” taken?

If not, I’ll sure it will be soon.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Boba Pearl posted:

The entirety of your legacy will be when goons talk about failures, you'lls will get a sentence or two mentioned in passing as a cautionary tale of how stupid goons are, and how easily they all manage to gently caress up.

The one cool outcome to this would be if they fail so spectacularly that they get a shorthand moniker that everyone instantly recognizes without context, like the zipline goon or hotdog man. I don't think there's been a donut guy we can all name to instantly laugh at yet.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

I just bought a Univex srm 40 for $1630 so you can’t tell me poo poo!

If true, you actually got an 80% discount so legit good job. Have you priced in wear and tear? Is it in good shape? The bowl itself costs as much as your entire purchase price, as an example.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Captain Hygiene posted:

The one cool outcome to this would be if they fail so spectacularly that they get a shorthand moniker that everyone instantly recognizes without context, like the zipline goon or hotdog man. I don't think there's been a donut guy we can all name to instantly laugh at yet.

Even the last contender for Coffee Fail Goon abandoned the idea before buying equipment or renting space, and thank God: it was right before Covid

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
DoughverHaus

Cruller Intentions

The Baker's Doesn't

Glazed over details

Help! I frittered away my savings

Call me old fashioned, but I donut need a business plan

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

DoughverHaus

Cruller Intentions

The Baker's Doesn't

Glazed over details

Help! I frittered away my savings

Call me old fashioned, but I donut need a business plan

You still got it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Frank has at least done a business before

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

frank owns and operates a successful bar in philadelphia

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Frank is The Warthog, you're goddamn right he knows business

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

OP you should sell these bad boys call them froughnuts or get out donuts or something

Frosting piled high

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I just filled a big uhaul with poo poo from a failed pizzatitty place and hauled it home in the dark. My old wrestling buddy helped me pack it and unpack it and also drink beers. We paid 5100 out the door for msrp totalling 62000. Got two coolers, a four-tap kegerator, two fryers, the mixer, two refrigerated prep tables, a three-bay sink, three hand sinks, 44 chairs, I forget how many tables, a bunch of pans, a speedrack, like 200 shot glasses, a pizza peel, a bunch of stage lights, booths, blah blah blah

Got the mixer and figured I better get a truckload and it took a few tries to shut the door.

To get the power on I have to show plans with the specific equipment I’ll be using so it’s cool to have bought a big chunk of it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Previa_fun posted:

OP you should sell these bad boys call them froughnuts or get out donuts or something

Frosting piled high

You don't think frog nuts is catchy enough?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Rationale posted:

I just filled a big uhaul with poo poo from a failed pizzatitty place and hauled it home in the dark. My old wrestling buddy helped me pack it and unpack it and also drink beers. We paid 5100 out the door for msrp totalling 62000. Got two coolers, a four-tap kegerator, two fryers, the mixer, two refrigerated prep tables, a three-bay sink, three hand sinks, 44 chairs, I forget how many tables, a bunch of pans, a speedrack, like 200 shot glasses, a pizza peel, a bunch of stage lights, booths, blah blah blah

Got the mixer and figured I better get a truckload and it took a few tries to shut the door.

To get the power on I have to show plans with the specific equipment I’ll be using so it’s cool to have bought a big chunk of it.

Why do you need a kegerator.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

What are you going to do with 200 shot glasses and 44 chairs? Why did you buy stage lighting?

I can't wait for you to actually start making donuts and realize that you hate the work

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Imma be honest I’m no longer convinced this is real.

Which makes it less fun.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pseudanonymous posted:

Imma be honest I’m no longer convinced this is real.

Which makes it less fun.

Same. It was fun to dream though!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Ohtori Akio posted:

Why do you need a kegerator.

Coffee house in the morning, craft beer bar at night. Burn that candle at both ends

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Powerful Katrinka posted:

What are you going to do with 200 shot glasses and 44 chairs? Why did you buy stage lighting?

I can't wait for you to actually start making donuts and realize that you hate the work

The shot glasses could maybe serve espresso. The chairs were like $1.25. The stage lighting was like $10.

I’m gonna post pics for the doubters

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

are you making titty donuts

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Gonna go get some more pics later today I’m pretty hype

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Oil! posted:

Coffee house in the morning, craft beer bar at night. Burn that candle at both ends

My little nephew has a brewery so I bud on it thinking maybe he’d like to have it but when I told him about it he left me on read lol.

Pretty sure I paid as much as four new tap handles would cost. It’s in relatively rough shape but we’re gonna see how spiffy it gets. Maybe I flip it to a frat house and maybe I just have ballin rear end parties at my house.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
Tell us more about the pizzatitty place. Do you have an idea on why it failed? Got the old name?

Perhaps you can hire the old staff and expand into the donuttitty industry.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Even the last contender for Coffee Fail Goon abandoned the idea before buying equipment or renting space, and thank God: it was right before Covid

The one lady who babysat me bought a pizza place like a month before Covid and she said it turned every night into Saturday night with ninety minute lead times from 4-9 pm

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Those chairs look like actual garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.
These dead gay comedy forums have a long history of intrepid goons barreling headfirst into poorly planned business ventures. They have all ended in tears and comedy. Godspeed OP, you will undoubtedly not succumb to the valuable advice given in this thread. If you do succeed I will personally travel to purchase your artisan donuts.