Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

scorn is hands-down the most visually impressive and utterly aesthetically unique horror game out there, and probably one of the top 5 in video games in general. it's obviously drinking deeply from giger's well, but they put enough of a unique spin on their interpretation of it that it looks genuinely like nothing you've ever seen before. it also has terribly muted gameplay and a "story" so vague that even the lore youtubers that're good at weaving air into a narrative have collectively thrown their hands up over it, so the only real topics of discussion are people throwing wild theories at the wall and seeing what sticks, but that can only go so far

Mr E posted:

I'm probably going to end up watching someone play it cause the style of puzzles in the game aren't my thing but I just don't think there's much to talk about with the game due to having no text or dialogue or story to speak of.

my advice: if you've got gamepass already, give it a playthrough and look up the puzzle solutions if you hate them, because it's such a visual treat that it's worth it. if you don't have gamepass then don't spend $40+ on it and watch a let's play (i recommend ABG's playthrough, as it's nothing but pure gameplay with no annoying commentary or pointless dithering)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nintendo 49ers posted:

My second thought was of course that I hope the games themselves are all worth it and that we're not getting SH Kart or something.

Although.......

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Finished Maid of Sker last night. Nothing terribly original for a stealth-horror game, but the atmosphere and visuals are nice, the gameplay is competent enough, and it's pretty short. Not worth full price, but worth playing on sale or in the Humble Choice for this month.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Vermain posted:

… a "story" so vague that even the lore youtubers that're good at weaving air into a narrative have collectively thrown their hands up over it, so the only real topics of discussion are people throwing wild theories at the wall and seeing what sticks, but that can only go so far

My take is it’s entirely about a theme (the biological processes that make life as we know it possible are brutal, indifferent, imprecise, and weird to think about, especially when you start to question how much of your own drive to live, set goals, and move forward is just gussied up, machine-like biological programming) hung from a meager scaffold of story and lore (what if there was a place *somewhere* where *something* happened and the environment that supports that place’s biological processes began collapsing, but the degrading processes kept running and the things they created senselessly kept trying to live because that’s what everything is programmed to do).

It’s like an old school Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant story.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 17, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Noob Saibot posted:

I don’t get how he went from being a capcom insider to being an industry,wide insider who has the skinny on every horror ip in development

Not even just horror anymore, he inadvertently leaked some GoW Ragnorok stuff by sharing with a reddit mod who very quickly blabbed. Your guess is as good as mine, that's for sure, but I think he at the very least has a general Sony connect.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Re Scorn, I've seen enough back and forth now that I have to ask, is it mechanically difficult in the way that Pathologic is, or is it just poorly designed? I played Patholigic all the way through (okay, the easier redesign P2, but still) and it was great but there the mechanics added to the game while it sounds like in Scorn is detracts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't say it was mechanically difficult, just the combat which is slow and clunky apparently deliberately so.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Honestly from the first hour or two that I played and watched for Scorn reminded me theme wise of the newish stop motion movie Mad God (which I really recommend).

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I started playing Scorn, and bounced hard after the first area and puzzle. The part at the beginning where you have to harvest the pod person and then dismember them to unlock the way forward. Being forced to kill the poor guy left a terrible taste in my mouth, and had me thinking I might be too empathetic to enjoy the game if the rest of the puzzles were like that. I've been told by a friend however, that isn't the case, so I may give it another try.

Thing is, I might have been a little more ok with it if the puzzle was presented a little better. Like if I'd been able to realize "Oh, this door requires two people, but the only other person in the room is in no condition to cooperate. I guess I have no choice but to take his arm." But I didn't even know about the pod person when I saw the door. And while it was obvious the machinery was going to do not good things, I didn't connect them with door until I'd blindly interacted with them out of a lack of other options. Would have given the action more weight, in my opinion.

Granted, I see what it's doing, presenting this huge, alien world seemingly designed to dehumanize people as it chews them up and spits them out, forcing you to partake in the senseless violence to survive. The metaphor is clear and effective. But the way it was executed here felt flawed. But maybe I just went about it with the wrong state of mind. What did everyone else think?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

glitchwraith posted:

I started playing Scorn, and bounced hard after the first area and puzzle. The part at the beginning where you have to harvest the pod person and then dismember them to unlock the way forward. Being forced to kill the poor guy left a terrible taste in my mouth, and had me thinking I might be too empathetic to enjoy the game if the rest of the puzzles were like that. I've been told by a friend however, that isn't the case, so I may give it another try.

Thing is, I might have been a little more ok with it if the puzzle was presented a little better. Like if I'd been able to realize "Oh, this door requires two people, but the only other person in the room is in no condition to cooperate. I guess I have no choice but to take his arm." But I didn't even know about the pod person when I saw the door. And while it was obvious the machinery was going to do not good things, I didn't connect them with door until I'd blindly interacted with them out of a lack of other options. Would have given the action more weight, in my opinion.

Granted, I see what it's doing, presenting this huge, alien world seemingly designed to dehumanize people as it chews them up and spits them out, forcing you to partake in the senseless violence to survive. The metaphor is clear and effective. But the way it was executed here felt flawed. But maybe I just went about it with the wrong state of mind. What did everyone else think?

You fell for the exact same thing as me.

There's two methods but you can easily think there's only one.

There's no need to kill the fella. There's another room, a little further on the track. It has a device to get him out of the pod.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E: beaten

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Scorn world is not good for the creatures in it, empathy is meaningless in a world where everything is trying to survive at all costs. If feeling bad about pulping flesh is a concern then there are two more notable sequences but neither are as... Pitiful(?) as the first one. For those who have finished, I'm referring to Giant face creature and baby guacamole

That said there was another way to solve that puzzle instead of using the ice cream scoop.

Game pass is the way to go with Scorn, if you stream then near the end you won't be able to go full Death Stranding, mumbling "where's my BB, I need my BB".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Apparently Ito is involved in the new silent hill, he's doing a countdown on his Twitter account.

"Team Silent rides again", I scream, vibrating with energy until I fall off my chair and am knocked unconscious.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Mindblast posted:

You fell for the exact same thing as me.

There's two methods but you can easily think there's only one.

There's no need to kill the fella. There's another room, a little further on the track. It has a device to get him out of the pod.

I did see the other device on the opposite side while exploring beforehand. The saw blade in the room near the key implementer. I had assumed that would have been worse, and while my friend mentioned the pod person survives that one, he insinuated it wasn't in a better state. Is that accurate?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Apparently Ito is involved in the new silent hill, he's doing a countdown on his Twitter account.

"Team Silent rides again", I scream, vibrating with energy until I fall off my chair and am knocked unconscious.

Having to repeat to myself "It will probably suck." to keep my hype at a healthy level.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The other option is definitely better, but at a core level it's kinda like "is being alive worth it in this hell scape?"

There's some body horror stuff that gets pretty nuts and it's like, how are you even alive at this point, but "what" you are is really unclear.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Re Scorn, I've seen enough back and forth now that I have to ask, is it mechanically difficult in the way that Pathologic is, or is it just poorly designed? I played Patholigic all the way through (okay, the easier redesign P2, but still) and it was great but there the mechanics added to the game while it sounds like in Scorn is detracts.

Caveat that I've still only played the original Pathologic (despite being more excited for 2 than anything I've played since it came out; the time just hasn't felt right), but I'd say it is not at all a good comparison to Scorn. Most of what made Pathologic difficult was a combination of scarce resources and time pressure. Scorn has no time pressure and resources really aren't scarce, you just can't waste them the way you could in a traditional FPS. Honestly I think the only reason anyone has called it difficult is because you can't circle strafe enemies to take no damage, you have to actually turn and run if you want to dodge an attack. I suspect this does not occur to some people.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

its incredibly funny to me how many people i've seen go 'of course the gameplay in scorn is dogshit it wouldnt be a survival horror game otherwise' and like. you realize that is not the own you think it is, right? swear to god any time i see someone invoke SH2's combat being clunky as some sort of "ITS ON PURPOSE!!! IT'S THEMATIC!!!" i want to claw my face off

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ito and Akira Yamaoka but that was kinda a given since he’s been involved with even the bad games

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah Akira Yamaoka has been a given since that interview where he said "I'm working on something and yes it's what you're hoping for" that got taken down like hours after getting published a while ago.

It seems silly to assume Mary Elizabeth won't be involved but I need to hear her on a trailer wednesday

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The silent hill transmission details leaked:

-fully remastered ports of Homecoming and Downpour finally coming to next gen consoles!
-wave 2 silent hill skateboard collection https://officialkonamishop.com/products/silent-hill-1-beware-the-incubus
-culminates in first look at new silent hill pachinko machine

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm glad they lovingly remastered the two best Silent Hill games! They really have their finger on the pulse of the fan community, good job folks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Downpour with not garbage combat would be a reasonable ish game tbh

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Which should I play next: RE2make or RE7? I haven't played either and have both available.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

Which should I play next: RE2make or RE7? I haven't played either and have both available.

Both are excellent. I guess start with 7 because that’s what started the modern resident evil renaissance

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Franchescanado posted:

Noob Saibot posted:

Both are excellent. I guess start with 7 because that’s what started the modern resident evil renaissance

Yeah, pretty much release order for the newer ones. They're both great, but it's nice to see the production improvements going through in order.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Cool. RE7 it is. Thanks friends.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
“Heads-up, I got a few big updates on SH this morning, both what's at this event, stuff that will not be at this event as well. I won't spoil it further, but I'll just say I'm very, very happy and strapping in for the ride” - Dusk Golem

I hope my patience has not been in vain

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Noob Saibot posted:

The silent hill transmission details leaked:

-fully remastered ports of Homecoming and Downpour finally coming to next gen consoles!
-wave 2 silent hill skateboard collection https://officialkonamishop.com/products/silent-hill-1-beware-the-incubus
-culminates in first look at new silent hill pachinko machine

Honestly I read this and thought "yeah that tracks" before even considering that you were joking.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The pachinko curse got transferred to Godzilla fans we're good

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Morpheus posted:

Honestly I read this and thought "yeah that tracks" before even considering that you were joking.

Oh poo poo that was a joke? Whew

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Manager Hoyden posted:

Oh poo poo that was a joke? Whew

Real life ain’t that cruel baby

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I wouldn't mind Downpour being on the PC. I hate when any title gets marooned on an old console

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The only silent hill games that should get ported to newer consoles are the canonical ones: 1-3 and the room

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Noob Saibot posted:

The only silent hill games that should get ported to newer consoles are the canonical ones: 1-3 and the room

WARNING: Book of Memories is canon.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bogart posted:

WARNING: Book of Memories is canon.

Lies and slander

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Silent Hill: No Escape is also canon

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Silent Hill: Arcade is the only remaining canon. Silent Hill: Erotic Pachislot, coming soon.

I really disliked downpour for its writing decisions, even if the core gameplay was tolerable and iterated in some okay ways.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vermain posted:

someone in one of the videos commented something like "the remake looks like how you remember it" which is, i think, completely accurate

dead space 1 is still a hell of a technical magic trick considering they were making it run on poo poo like the OG xbox, and you can still play it today with an atmosphere that's just as effective

Dead Space 1 was on the 360, not Xbox.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sigher posted:

Dead Space 1 was on the 360, not Xbox.

oh yeah, my goof, thank you for catching that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DS1 was originally developed for the Xbox classic before transferring to 360 development. There’s been very blocky dev footage floating around for years