Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He did do a galaxy-wide genocide, or at least helped/really wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
$10 says the call of duty “studio” will be called TeamGHOST

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Noob Saibot posted:

$10 says the call of duty “studio” will be called TeamGHOST

or 141 if they want to keep it a little consistent.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Microsoft would love to have Game Pass on Playstation, and Call of Duty is a pretty big bargaining chip towards Sony allowing it to happen. I could see them making an offer like "let us put Game Pass on Playstation, and it'll give us the incentive to keep supporting Call of Duty there long term", where Sony has to either choose between potentially giving up Call of Duty or playing ball on Game Pass, both of which give Microsoft the upper hand. Sony's arguments on behalf of themselves seem pretty unconvincing on the face of it—losing Call of Duty would suck for them, but it certainly wouldn't be fatal, and if their fear is that Microsoft and Sony might switch places on the market leaderboard, well...trying to convince regulatory bodies to intervene to prevent that from happening doesn't exactly sound like an attempt at good-faith competition to me—but it does make sense if what Sony is actually scared of is not losing customers to Microsoft, but of the most profitable option being to let Microsoft have their way. "We're afraid that Microsoft will want to work with us and have some good reasons that we should do it" doesn't exactly have the same gravitas with regulators though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I completely missed out on the Silent Hill games. So what’s the gist and story, and why is it so loved by you all? Is there something about it that makes it different from the Resident Evils and horror games of the time?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Blind Rasputin posted:

I completely missed out on the Silent Hill games. So what’s the gist and story, and why is it so loved by you all? Is there something about it that makes it different from the Resident Evils and horror games of the time?

I'm not an expert by any means but to me they felt like the most Lynchian thing we had in video games back then, they put you in a weird world where nothing makes sense and everything is uncomfortable and disturbing. They appeal to a kind of horror that is less straightforward than a Resident Evil monster or zombie based horror. These are the manifestations of the nightmares inside the characters (and players) heads.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM7IdCa6NNo

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 18, 2022

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

Resident Evil is more John Carpenter, Michael Chrichton, James Cameron. A balanced mix of horror with bursts of bombastic blockbuster action

Silent Hill is cerebral and surreal. Think David Lynch, Clive Barker, Jacob’s Ladder

They equally good but different. This documentary is a good primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7apuW_2lIE

It’s hard to explain the appeal it’s very rooted in the creativity and artsy culture of the 90s

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Resident Evil 4 was considered the best one before they started remaking all of them, right? Might have to get my feet wet...

Speaking of, finally made it past the parking garage section of RE2make as 2nd run Claire. Was weirdly relieved during the dog kennel part where it's just two lickers that have already killed them instead. I am way more scared of the zombie dogs than the lickers, because I am terrible at aiming at something fast and twitchy vs. slowly walking through a room. All the little changes are neat, and by the end of it I was pretty much lapping Mr. X to circle back around the police station and open all the safes and grab all the loot I missed the first time.

Up next is the sewers, which was the worst part as Leon, and I'm guessing I'll feel the same way when I go through it with worse weapons and presumably more enemies...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

kirbysuperstar posted:

perhaps this documentary will help you figure it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSEw_AVfJBY

If they like money, they could bet on themselves and make more given their track record of success. Unless they don’t have confidence in themselves…

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bloodychill posted:

If they like money, they could bet on themselves and make more given their track record of success. Unless they don’t have confidence in themselves…

That's not how it works in the world of massive corporations. Look at it this way, if MS really wants Activision and they don't want to sell, MS can always do a hostile takeover. In that scenario, ABK doesn't get that sweet payday. It's literally in their best interest to sell.

Consolidation sucks and all those board members and execs can *REDACTED* but that's the way it is.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsheim posted:

Resident Evil 4 was considered the best one before they started remaking all of them, right? Might have to get my feet wet...

ew God no.

REmake of Resident Evil was the gold standard before the new RE engine games started coming out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bloodychill posted:

Yeah see the problem is you're not thinking like a shareholder

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Noob Saibot posted:

ew God no.

REmake of Resident Evil was the gold standard before the new RE engine games started coming out.

Lol no. You may not like it as much but people love 4.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
resident evil 4 isn't just the best resident evil game, it has standing to be considered the best video game ever made

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

incorporeal posted:

Lol no. You may not like it as much but people love 4.

There are also people that think George W. Bush was a good President

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wow what a very normal comparison to make about people liking a video game

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

No.

It's the best one before and after the remakes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

Bad poo poo happens to a guy because his inner demons are all assholes, and if you play right you get the ending with a dog in a ufo.

Honestly I loved em cause they built the dread up so well and actually made the environment seem creepy. Most of the time there's "horror" games the terrain is like, ON NO WE ARE IN A GIANT FLESHY TUNNEL or poo poo! TENTACLES! or something like that. This was a creepy town that hid an even more hosed up, creepier town.

Protag wasn't some guy who was mysteriously a secret ninja who was also a spec ops soldier and had perfect aim with everything, he was just a dude 4 seconds away from making GBS threads himself at any given time.

Squish all that together with ps1/ps2 era graphics and the environment and mood meant a LOT. Toss in PT which was basically a hallway simulator but terrifying, and you have why people like me still harbor embers of hope towards the ip.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have exactly two negatives for RE4

1) no other control scheme is half as good as the gamecube's, to the point where trying to play it on a modern controller doesn't feel quite right
2) the reflecting-pool room in the castle is an utter backbreaker if you haven't been smart with your resources

everything else is beautiful and without flaw

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Bad poo poo happens to a guy because his inner demons are all assholes, and if you play right you get the ending with a dog in a ufo.

Honestly I loved em cause they built the dread up so well and actually made the environment seem creepy. Most of the time there's "horror" games the terrain is like, ON NO WE ARE IN A GIANT FLESHY TUNNEL or poo poo! TENTACLES! or something like that. This was a creepy town that hid an even more hosed up, creepier town.

Protag wasn't some guy who was mysteriously a secret ninja who was also a spec ops soldier and had perfect aim with everything, he was just a dude 4 seconds away from making GBS threads himself at any given time.

Squish all that together with ps1/ps2 era graphics and the environment and mood meant a LOT. Toss in PT which was basically a hallway simulator but terrifying, and you have why people like me still harbor embers of hope towards the ip.

Dont forget the legendary music and thought provoking story telling

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had the theme song as a ringtone for about as long as it took someone to call me and I had ptsd flashbacks expecting some poo poo to come stumbling out of the fog or hear a siren.

Scariest banjo music since deliverance.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
RE4 is far too brown. It's unending brown environments with some grey mixed in

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Brown was just the favorite color of developers for a good ten years or so.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
For a while you knew a game was next gen if everything was brown

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget gray. Sometimes it's a mixture of both. Those brown corridors sometimes had concrete walls or floors.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The development of real-time tone mapping allowed gen 7 games to reach heights of brown the previous gens could only dream of

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
With the newest unreal engine we are gonna see levels of brown so absolute there's gonna be a note in the eula from stuart semple banning Anish Kapoor from playing, or anyone selling it to him.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If Xbox sold better isn't because of the AB deal or game pasa purely. It's more likely because it's easier to find and the user that doesn't look for exclusives had an easier time to get, at least a Series S (super easy since launch) of just look a bit for a Series X compared to the PS5 (both models).

Game pass may have gotten some traction but players and parents having units at shops ready to pick up is the bigger one.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

The development of real-time tone mapping allowed gen 7 games to reach heights of brown the previous gens could only dream of

I wonder if there is now a generation of gamers who think that’s the way games should be and are nostalgic for all the brown and gray. I should quickly start development on an indie game in that style to cash in

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Guillermus posted:

If Xbox sold better isn't because of the AB deal or game pasa purely. It's more likely because it's easier to find and the user that doesn't look for exclusives had an easier time to get, at least a Series S (super easy since launch) of just look a bit for a Series X compared to the PS5 (both models).

Game pass may have gotten some traction but players and parents having units at shops ready to pick up is the bigger one.

Series S is low key the best of the new gaming hardware. It’s super sleek and compact, cheap, and runs new and old games efficiently

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I liked the brown games. Single dominant color palettes ftw.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Brown food is top notch too.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Noob Saibot posted:

I wonder if there is now a generation of gamers who think that’s the way games should be and are nostalgic for all the brown and gray. I should quickly start development on an indie game in that style to cash in

You're 2 years to late
https://youtu.be/FX2oINMwoJk

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
CliffyB once told me to use less colored lighting in my maps

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hahahahaha somehow, more than ever: gently caress Ted Faro.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fix posted:

Hahahahaha somehow, more than ever: gently caress Ted Faro.

I absolutely love everything related to his story in HFW.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kilometers Davis posted:

I absolutely love everything related to his story in HFW.

I'm honestly impressed they made me feel more about him. I figured I was locked in.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The payoff/culmination of it all is just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Game is good.