Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That really is fabulous, I hope it continues and keeps thriving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
gently caress this game for assholes forever

I will be playing this afternoon

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Spent a year going up and down in master/expert but I'm finally here :toot:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

woooo!

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
Wow, reaching Saint rank is quite the achievement. I think it's somewhere around the top 2% of all Expert+ accounts across all MJS servers? Even getting to Master II is a top 10% kind of rank, since it requires you to be consistently better than the rest of Jade Room on average to rank up from Master I. The break-even point for Master III is an average rank of about 2.42, and to sustain above that long enough to get to Saint is a meaningful accomplishment. Congrats!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The secret is to kan for maximum flow.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nighthand posted:

The secret is to kan for maximum flow.

Pon em all 1989

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
There is a button you can toggle to ignore calls, but I think there should also be a button to automatically call everything.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Toitoi turbo mode

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

MrBlarney posted:

Wow, reaching Saint rank is quite the achievement. I think it's somewhere around the top 2% of all Expert+ accounts across all MJS servers? Even getting to Master II is a top 10% kind of rank, since it requires you to be consistently better than the rest of Jade Room on average to rank up from Master I. The break-even point for Master III is an average rank of about 2.42, and to sustain above that long enough to get to Saint is a meaningful accomplishment. Congrats!

Thanks! I'll mention that most of my success from climbing Jade Room was from the official Mahjong Soul discord; there are several active Saint level players there that discuss strategy, and I learned a lot from analyzing their reasoning with various push/fold/call decisions. Another great resource I picked up there is a youtube channel from one of the active saints, which covers various advanced strategies.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
Hmm, those are some good tidbits. I've had a bit of a slide recently, and I think that's due to me being a bit lax on my play combined with a lack of study. There were some Japanese YouTube channels with short strategy videos I came across a while back but never bothered to bookmark those to a non-incognito account. (I'm very particular about curating my YouTube activity.) And I probably could stand to join that Discord group to get more exposure to a higher volume of questions and answers regarding tactics and strategy. I know I've got the capability of getting out of Expert III purgatory, but it would be so much easier if I could get even one step higher in some aspect of the game, whether that be in my efficiency, hand and wall reading, etc.

I think I saw that Riichi Mahjong Tactics channel a few months ago, but haven't kept up with it. In fact, it kind of planted a seed in my head about trying to create some beginners video content to try and improve on what currently exists on the English-speaking side of things. But I also wanted to get myself to Master I first, just to be sure I was above the average and to have some level of credibility. It'll happen! Eventually! (Or so I keep telling myself.)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

the great thing about the Mahjong Soul discord is the poncat memes

Also stupid rabbit

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Can Of Worms posted:

Thanks! I'll mention that most of my success from climbing Jade Room was from the official Mahjong Soul discord; there are several active Saint level players there that discuss strategy, and I learned a lot from analyzing their reasoning with various push/fold/call decisions. Another great resource I picked up there is a youtube channel from one of the active saints, which covers various advanced strategies.

Seconding the recommendation for both of those, just hit M3 and they've helped my judgement a lot too.

(also hi, mjs user "jomithy" from the discord here lol)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I intensely hate this game sometimes

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

I intensely hate this game sometimes

This is normal yes

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I had someone pon my final discard just to deny me an otherwise perfect nagashi mangan. Didn't even get them in ten, it was rude.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Nighthand posted:

I had someone pon my final discard just to deny me an otherwise perfect nagashi mangan. Didn't even get them in ten, it was rude.

I hate to defend a mangan ruiner, but technically isn't that the correct move? You will always lose more points by allowing someone elses manga at dawn to go through.

I feel you pain though, Triple triples is the last 2-han I need for 2 cheevos but when the chance for it occurs the other players always ruin it by "playing to win". drat bastards.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I spent a good two hours in sanma gunning for nagashi at the expense of everything else. Lost it twice at the last possible turn before finally getting it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Hraathgar posted:

I hate to defend a mangan ruiner, but technically isn't that the correct move? You will always lose more points by allowing someone elses manga at dawn to go through.

I feel you pain though, Triple triples is the last 2-han I need for 2 cheevos but when the chance for it occurs the other players always ruin it by "playing to win". drat bastards.

Oh yeah it's objectively the correct move but it's still rude and I'm still going to complain about it. Don't they know that I'm the protagonist of the game and deserve to win?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
One of my absolute favorite things about this game is getting to be a little stinker and cut off a juicy limit hand with an open tanyao.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

SixteenShells posted:

One of my absolute favorite things about this game is getting to be a little stinker and cut off a juicy limit hand with an open tanyao.

You and people like you are the source of all the ills of society.

(I like doing it too)

Also, I just opened soul and saw the new events and costumes..

Man, I really need to learn to use tenhou.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hraathgar posted:

(I like doing it too)

Seems...standard anime costumes to me.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Hraathgar posted:

(I like doing it too)

These are tame as hell compared to most other costumes on majsoul. Heck, they're tame compared to the source material.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I tried a quick match of the Mahjong Soul Event ruleset, Duel of Divination, over lunch, and it's overloading my brain. For those who haven't seen it, it's basically all like standard Mahjong, but after the dealer's first discard, each player draws one tile from a set of three open tiles (as opposed to a closed tile from the wall). This means there's a LOT more potential information about what is going into every player's hands. Unlike Washizu Mahjong (three see-through tiles of each type), all of your insights into other players' hands has to be done on memory. So it can create a lot of brain burn if you try to put your attention on what your opponents are drawing and discarding. There's also an additional bit of mindgames when someone declares Riichi. Do you draw and discard safe tiles? Or is one of the tiles in the open market a winning tile that will give the declarer Ippatsu Tsumo that you should pick off before them?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I got the thing :woop:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I tried to go for a Kokushi in Duel of Divination when I started with 9 tiles 8 types, figuring most people ignore the honors and terminals.
The two other expert players opposite and left of me figured out what I was doing by turn 5 and started taking honors too to deny me, allowing the adept player to build a baiman hand and took a 16k lead.

Many angry faces were exchanged after that round, oops.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
The advice that was given to me by a mahjong pro was, in high level play, if you start with 9 or more terminals/honors, go for kokushi - if you have 7 or 8, STILL go for kokushi because your hand sucks. You won't outspeed anyone playing fast, and the ordinary hand you put together will likely be worth little. Better to try to shoot the moon, and if it doesn't come together then your hand is full of safe tiles so you at least minimize your losses.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The number of times I've done that, then got blown up dropping a 9 or something, is pretty high.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Kerrek posted:

The advice that was given to me by a mahjong pro was, in high level play, if you start with 9 or more terminals/honors, go for kokushi

https://osamuko.com/i-told-you-not-to-go-for-kokushi/ suggests it's so hard with only 9 tiles that you shouldn't bother, assuming you can just ask for a redeal.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'd argue that terminals and honors stop being safe once your opponents suss out that you're going for kokushi. They'll either keep your outs to spite you or build toward trap waits on them. Sure, try to go for it to start with if your hand is really garbage and you can't redeal but be aware that it will be really obvious and easy to challenge.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
I'm currently playing in an another real life mahjong tournament. 4 hanchans and day one of two done. No chombos yet!

In my fist hanchan I got to second place with the tiniest 1.1k tsumo passing the third player by 100 points.

Had the weirdest hanchan I've ever played as my third game. Biggest win was 3.7 k. Only one riichi in the whole hanchan! Tiny rons as far as the eye could see! I eventually won with + 2.7 k points, because my rons were slightly more numerous than my opponents. In a real life tournament there is a time limit, so you don't necessarily continue until someone has +5k.

Feeling great (I'm on positive ranking points). I also feel validated because I watched a video on complex shapes just two days ago and I had the wierd shape where you are waiting on a pair and ryanman at the same time. Ha-ha! I had the basic grasp of what I was doing!

However I didn't watch the video on when to make kans and I had a kan in my opening hand one game. Of course the "correct" answer is to always kan, but it's like somewhat serious and stuff, you know?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I think games without a time limit still limit to end of west, so *eventually* someone either hits 30k or you get to the end of west 4.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
did a doubletake when i played against someone named SMORKY, then i remembered the h.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

When your tanyao nomi turns into a dealer haneman :eyepop:

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
It seems I've caught the eye of some malevolent force, because weird stuff keeps happening to me in souls. Here is some screenshots in no particular order

This absolute chad of a player eventually fell to a tanyo from the west player with 6 dora. Sanbaiman and death. He kanned for our sins. I'm pretty sure the lesson here is to always kan? Yes, that must be it.

*chuckles* I'm in danger. Being in riichi has some drawbacks, it seems. But my pinfu won the three dragons. The end, no moral.

Almost got the weedlord yakuman, but tanyo happened.

*Easy mode unlocked* managed to milk both players to sub 10k before the game ended. Yes, I have no shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hraathgar posted:

Almost got the weedlord yakuman, but tanyo happened.

aaaaaaa that one