Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Palladium posted:

i have never seen a speaker cone move in a visible way in the flesh

You've never had a prof demonstrate driver movement with an LFO?? Or had a friend with aftermarket subwoofers in their car???

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

Speakers move bro.. what are you saying?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

That hit me right in the feels

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
what can i say my biological ADCs are programmed to have very high levels of sones per watts

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Palladium posted:

Watch your woofers during the first 30 seconds of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpG7C4vHZQ

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

redeyes posted:

What?! Your speakers somehow have to be warmed up?! Doubtful man.

Elastic polymers get more flexible as they get warmer. The better they move, the better they sound. There's probably plenty of other materials that are softer at the same temperature, but for whatever reason, that's what they chose.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/capacitor-upgrade-in-crossover-is-it-audible-part-2.12447/

I bought a pair 20-year old Wharfedale Diamonds 8.2 on the cheap and thought replacing the aging electrolytic caps in the crossover is necessary, but guess I'm probably wrong about this.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/capacitor-upgrade-in-crossover-is-it-audible-part-2.12447/

I bought a pair 20-year old Wharfedale Diamonds 8.2 on the cheap and thought replacing the aging electrolytic caps in the crossover is necessary, but guess I'm probably wrong about this.

Just test their capacitance to see if they're all still in range and make sure they're not bulging and you good

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
So THAT'S why my CDs sound so bad. They're magnetized!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4v8b1tGSQ

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

So THAT'S why my CDs sound so bad. They're magnetized!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4v8b1tGSQ

So I moved to Japan recently and took a trip down to the local Yodobashi Camera and guess what I saw

They're still selling them! At least it's only around $300 for useless trash.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The yen is down to $1/¥150? RIP Japan.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I got tons of dollars so it's great for me.

Until I'm out or want to put any of that money back, then... well, whatever. I ain't moving back any time soon. Probably will invest in some gold audio cables.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Drastic Actions posted:

So I moved to Japan recently and took a trip down to the local Yodobashi Camera and guess what I saw

They're still selling them! At least it's only around $300 for useless trash.

have you asked whether they provide gold plating services to your local power substation at a discount if you bought those power plugs below

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Absolutely loving Techmoan's foray into audiophile territory

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Just FYI in case folks in here don't check out other threads, I've posted some opinions about this one in one of the stickies. It looks like the OP isn't a mod anymore but I honestly don't care at all about rewards; I'd be happy to do a new OP regardless.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012239

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

"Many audiophile products are a scam. This is the place to mock them and their devotees. Discuss."

A bit minimal, sure, but I think that's all that really needs to be said unless you want a list of links highlighting really egregious examples.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mr. Mercury posted:

"Many audiophile products are a scam. This is the place to mock them and their devotees. Discuss."

A bit minimal, sure, but I think that's all that really needs to be said unless you want a list of links highlighting really egregious examples.

The idea, at least in my mind, is to provide a basic history of the hobby and some very basic science about how measured quality doesn't improve beyond a certain dollar amount.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OP just needs to be this classic image

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's one of those threads where you learn more by reading it than a normal person will trudging through a monster op. Doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't have more info and funny examples (and maybe brands that are egregiously snake oil). The main concern, though, is to make it clear it's the wrong place to ask for advice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Where would you put the experience of a big OP vs rolling through the thread on the experience level?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The big OP has a lot more defined base, more middle of the road consensus, and less sharp trouble. However, the musicality is a lot better and more organic when you just have a decades long string of posts.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

/\ cheeky fucker haha

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's one of those threads where you learn more by reading it than a normal person will trudging through a monster op. Doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't have more info and funny examples (and maybe brands that are egregiously snake oil). The main concern, though, is to make it clear it's the wrong place to ask for advice.

My thoughts exactly

Honestly I very rarely read OPs after skimming it once. It really doesn't need to be much beyond "this is what thread is about," mmmaaayyybbee some history if it's a show or something, and some resources if you're trying to get people to do a thing. Since this is a mock thread... not really sure it needs much beyond a simple statement and warning about earnest-posting about high end gear

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The new op mostly needs links to the other audio threads, and an explanation on what the differences are.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It would be nice with a few examples of ridiculous and non-ridiculous stuff in the OP. Like solid gold fuses and regular high end speakers

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I do love a good gold plated Toslink.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it's not 90% about carpet, what's the point?

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
I definitely tldr long OPs, I have no intention of writing up some multi thousand word thing that no one gives a poo poo about. Just something along the lines of writing that audio reproduction started, it got better, it got to be a status symbol, and then at some point very soon some opportunistic folks realized that you could (as always) make money off of people who had no actual interest in the hobby but just wanted the status marker. TLDR if you are paying more than $100 for any cable, ever, I am going to come to your house and beat you.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

BonHair posted:

It would be nice with a few examples of ridiculous and non-ridiculous stuff in the OP. Like solid gold fuses and regular high end speakers

Pretty much just this.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

strtj posted:

I definitely tldr long OPs, I have no intention of writing up some multi thousand word thing that no one gives a poo poo about. Just something along the lines of writing that audio reproduction started, it got better, it got to be a status symbol, and then at some point very soon some opportunistic folks realized that you could (as always) make money off of people who had no actual interest in the hobby but just wanted the status marker. TLDR if you are paying more than $100 for any cable, ever, I am going to come to your house and beat you.

Long HDMI cables that actually work are easily over $100.

Also I feel like a lot of people who make and sell this stuff are either true believers or have been pretending for so long they've forgotten what's real. See PS Audio's CEO who like so record his youtubes next to a big stack of gear that could tell him his stupid $5000 "power regenerators" don't do anything.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

Long HDMI cables that actually work are easily over $100.

I was exaggerating for effect. Please tell me that you understand that this is, first and foremost, a comedy website

quote:

Also I feel like a lot of people who make and sell this stuff are either true believers or have been pretending for so long they've forgotten what's real. See PS Audio's CEO who like so record his youtubes next to a big stack of gear that could tell him his stupid $5000 "power regenerators" don't do anything.

I really don't think this is helping your case.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Idea for an op: put three short lists, of "junk that does nothing except make you look stupid", "stuff that can matter, up to a point", and "things that are objectively not better but can be personal preference".

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

nielsm posted:

Idea for an op: put three short lists, of "junk that does nothing except make you look stupid", "stuff that can matter, up to a point", and "things that are objectively not better but can be personal preference".

I'm more than willing to do a collaborative OP, partly because I don't want to be accused of writing it up with a personal bias. Here are some very quick ideas about those categories, and I am interested in what others think:

Just plain old status garbage, but I guess it looks cool?
This sort of thing https://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/chronosonic/chronosonic-xvx

Things that can matter up to a point
The first thing that comes to mind is turntable needles/cartridges. On a properly aligned turntable you really can spend increasing amounts of money and have increasing, but asymptotic, results. The last time I seriously looked into this stuff there seemed to be much less overall grift than your average stereo component, possibly because of the upfront costs and the difficulty in getting a manufacturer for things like tiny shaped diamonds.

Things that no serious person would consider "audiophile" but are still stupidly expensive
Cables.
But also, um, Bose gear?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Bose is barely on the scale imho. It's definitely overpriced, but I hear more people being snobby about it than liking it.

Let's not forget "high resolution" music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM this is pretty essential.

Also, conspicuous consumption I think falls under audiophilia, but maybe that's covered in your second category.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

Bose is barely on the scale imho. It's definitely overpriced, but I hear more people being snobby about it than liking it.

Let's not forget "high resolution" music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM this is pretty essential.

Also, conspicuous consumption I think falls under audiophilia, but maybe that's covered in your second category.

Yes, any OP for the thread should include this.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Gold plated interconnects
Brilliant pebbles
MQA
high end DACs
Upgraded power cables
Black bodies
The ENTIRE ITU-R BS.2399-0 consensus lexicon (and people attaching whatever loving adjectives they think are positive/negative to poo poo)
Rolling opamps/tubes
Distortion dickmeasuring

I'm sure there's a lot of other examples but I'm tired

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Now that I'm not phone posting, here's my ideas about what goes in those categories.

No actual, measurable or ABX-able effect:
Magical stones
Wooden volume knobs
Power conditioners (unless your power supply is so poo poo it would be frying the electronics anyway)
Premium Ethernet cables (either it works or it doesn't)
CD/DVD/BD players with digital outputs (either it works or it doesn't)

Only matters that you don't get the absolutely cheapest garbage:
Analog audio cables
Plugs for audio cables

Actually matters, up to a point:
Amplifier
Speakers
Acoustic treatment of room, including furniture and speaker layout
Signal processing (like equalization, has to be configured for the actual setup)

Personal taste, objectively speaking this is usually worse reproduction, but some prefer the sound:
LP records
Analog tape formats
Tube amplifiers

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are tube amps inherently bad though? If there's enough headroom, isn't it more in the placebo category? Sure, they can have some EQ going on, but is that really on the same scale as distortion on an LP?

Of course, the tubes can distort as well, but then it's just not the right amp for the job

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Most people buying tube amps in my experience are doing so for the distortion.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nielsm posted:

Now that I'm not phone posting, here's my ideas about what goes in those categories.
I like your list but I'd change "Premium ethernet cables" to "premium digital cables" to cover the entire spectrum from S/PDIF to HDMI.

I'd also add power cables, power outlets, and basically anything upstream of the power supplies in the actual devices emitting or processing analog signals to the audiophile nonsense category. As long as they're operating even remotely normally none of those components will ever have a meaningful impact on the electricity that's traveled over dozens or even hundreds of miles of unshielded power lines and through massive transformers on its way between a turbine somewhere and your house.

Actually that gives me a brilliant idea, stick some solar panels on top of a shed, add a load of batteries and some sound insulation, sell it to idiots with too much money as an isolated listening room. Basically take what some of the low power ham radio guys who actually legitimately need to care about RF interference from power lines do but dress it up a bit for the person who thinks it's going to matter on their headphones.

I'm also sure now thinking about it that at least one rich moron has installed a motor-generator in their home to "solve" the "problem" of being hooked to poco infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sell some "battery mending chargers" for those who use portable listening devices. Tell them that the battery degradation will affect audio performance and your magical charger will somehow improve the wrinkles put on the battery and get everything better again.