Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I love the scene of all these goofy kids talking in the courtyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jiji is the best love the little goofball

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Alacron posted:

I love the scene of all these goofy kids talking in the courtyard.

The look they're given earlier from the hallway is just perfect.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe she can make like a dozen tape recorders out of the house material of her saying the word enough times.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

official fan art contest
https://sp.shonenjump.com/p/sp/2207/dandadan_fa/

winners:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Fanfafan art!

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Okarun more Tenchi than Tenchi.

Is there a Japanese folklore thing about a dude who is just the hottest dude? Like, "all the girls end the world over him"-hot?

Because I'm getting the feeling that Okarun's gonna be his own final boss and Momo is going to wreck the earth for him and win.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
They end up getting too many golden balls and he becomes too powerful

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Desumaytah posted:

Is there a Japanese folklore thing about a dude who is just the hottest dude? Like, "all the girls end the world over him"-hot?

Because I'm getting the feeling that Okarun's gonna be his own final boss and Momo is going to wreck the earth for him and win.

Maybe Genji Hikaru?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Too many girls, but I'll tolerate it as long as it stays in the background (other than the main thing with Ayase obviously).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho there aren’t enough girls, every new girl is new weird/funny Momo expressions and brings her one step closer to just admitting she wants to date Ken Takakura.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Good news: the physical volume 1 just came out this week! Or last, but my copy just came in.

Bad news: there seems to be a printing error that has caused the last two pages of Chapter 4 to show up after the end of Chapter 5. Not the weirdest print error I've seen, but my copy has it and I've seen at least a couple other people mention it as well. Wonder if anyone here can corroborate.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can check my copy when I get home

Edit: yep, the same thing is in my book. Doesn’t really mess too much with the flow of the book but it’s pretty odd!

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 14, 2022

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I'm glad I stuck with this manga. It's really fuckin funny and cool.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The start with the molesting aliens is quite the hurdle but I'm glad someone told me to bear with it

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014556

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Almost had me there for a moment really thought Momo was going to fall for that obvious bait.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's terrifying.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Almost had me there for a moment really thought Momo was going to fall for that obvious bait.

same but I think the real suspence was how was she going to figure it out without looking

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
guessing everyone here knew what was going on from the start, but the only question was whether she would fall for it or not. I like that she didn't and the spirit is super pissed now.

The series is hilarious but also genuinely horrifying a lot of the time, and this is one of them, that loving face is creepy as hell

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

guessing everyone here knew what was going on from the start, but the only question was whether she would fall for it or not. I like that she didn't and the spirit is super pissed now.

The series is hilarious but also genuinely horrifying a lot of the time, and this is one of them, that loving face is creepy as hell

I mean the whole idea of being pursued by a youkai that tries to get you outside by pretending to be a loved one is part of the story for the Hachishakusama, and this particular specter seems an amalgamation of three different urban legends. Those being the Slit-mouth woman, the 8 foot tall woman, and the last will probably be part of her defeat since Reiko Kashima is part of the TekeTeke urban legend. So odds are the girls will have to lure this thing to a train track to help remove her legs.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Brought To You By posted:

I mean the whole idea of being pursued by a youkai that tries to get you outside by pretending to be a loved one is part of the story for the Hachishakusama, and this particular specter seems an amalgamation of three different urban legends. Those being the Slit-mouth woman, the 8 foot tall woman, and the last will probably be part of her defeat since Reiko Kashima is part of the TekeTeke urban legend. So odds are the girls will have to lure this thing to a train track to help remove her legs.

Of course she's not the 8 foot tall woman, she's, like, 50 feet tall :V

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I know you're not suppose to open the door (Chainsaw Man vibes there) or look out the window, but what if you have a camera? Does that count as looking outside?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dunno but I'd imagine the rule for losing is "if you see what's outside", whatever means those are.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Desumaytah posted:

the difference is that it makes sense for girls to like okarun. he's cute and earnest and heroic. tenchi is a slightly damp cardboard cutout.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the difference is that it makes sense for girls to like okarun. he's cute and earnest and heroic. tenchi is a slightly damp cardboard cutout.

Yeah, Okarun actually has his own wants and desires, along with it being pretty clear who he likes, while Tenchi's just... there. Also, Okarun actually interacts with other guys his age regularly unlike Tenchi (unless that changed in later series).

If anything Okarun might be more comparable to Ranma, if you're gonna compare him to other classic romantic comedy protags

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It would not surprise me down the line if an alien or a spirit wound up genderswapping most if not all the cast for a short time.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, Okarun actually has his own wants and desires, along with it being pretty clear who he likes, while Tenchi's just... there. Also, Okarun actually interacts with other guys his age regularly unlike Tenchi (unless that changed in later series).

Tenchi had that one goony best friend in episode 1 of the very first OVA who is never seen again. That is also, not so coincidentally, the first and last time Tenchi is anything other than passive, and closer to a normal teenager who just wants to have a goof and sneak into places he shouldn't.

Honestly the rapid downspiral of the Tenchi series is concomitant with what looks very much like induction into a cult that isolates him from his former life. It even has its own heavily-armed compound and ends in a group marriage.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know you're not suppose to open the door (Chainsaw Man vibes there) or look out the window, but what if you have a camera? Does that count as looking outside?

Turbo granny's answer to the phenomenal cosmic technology of "Going faster than me via Bullet Train" was "gently caress you I can still manage", so I doubt a big deal like Slit-mouth woman has failed to cope with the modern era.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Turbo granny's answer to the phenomenal cosmic technology of "Going faster than me via Bullet Train" was "gently caress you I can still manage", so I doubt a big deal like Slit-mouth woman has failed to cope with the modern era.

Counterpoint. We get a magic polaroid camera and go full Fatal Frame on this monster.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Brought To You By posted:

It would not surprise me down the line if an alien or a spirit wound up genderswapping most if not all the cast for a short time.

The mangaka's definitely a fan of Ranma, so 100% possible. Hell, Okarun's already lost his junk once.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Tenchi had that one goony best friend in episode 1 of the very first OVA who is never seen again. That is also, not so coincidentally, the first and last time Tenchi is anything other than passive, and closer to a normal teenager who just wants to have a goof and sneak into places he shouldn't.

Honestly the rapid downspiral of the Tenchi series is concomitant with what looks very much like induction into a cult that isolates him from his former life. It even has its own heavily-armed compound and ends in a group marriage.

Tenchi as a cult member puts a pretty different spin on the series

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014584

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Well, that's a lot of aliens for our slit-mouthed giant curse woman to massacre.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

thank you arahabaki for carrying me through midgame nocturne hardtype. sorry for sacrifice fusing you

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Motherfucking Shakkoumon and the Xenomorph lol

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

thank you arahabaki for carrying me through midgame nocturne hardtype. sorry for sacrifice fusing you

lmao "oh no that's null phys" was my first thought as well

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is class rep gonna get the slit mouth woman as her stand

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

Motherfucking Shakkoumon and the Xenomorph lol

I laughed when I saw them in the final panel. Somehow xenomorph was the last thing I expected.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

jiji lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
DANDADAN THREAD: THAT'LL DO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Jiji rules. He's not quite my favorite character (Momo and Okarun tie for that) but he does, in fact, need to be present in at least 1/3 of all panels in this comic going forward.

Spoilers: Those aliens at the end are all in love with Vamola, and they see Okarun as competition.