Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Rats! With guns! Gun rats!

The gunner is having the time of his life while dude working what I presume is some sort of rat generator is just having a Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Slyphic posted:

Does he have a cute single brother that works in smaller scales?

You could ask him... he literally answers every question people ask on his videos.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Geisladisk posted:

Rats! With guns! Gun rats!

What is this? I want one

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjud2qjBxzn/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

kitbashed a pit slave or some kind of mechanicus bodyguard

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Who makes the best sanding sticks for a good price?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Whichever chinese seller on Amazon is selling a bunch of sandpaper in bulk, some glue and some takeout chopsticks from the local sushi joint

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

In light of that, my next question is what's the minimum high grit grade that's preferred? 1k?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'd say you want at least 800 up to 2000 for most miniatures. It really depends on what you're doing, really. Newer GW models, for example, tend to have the mould lines tucked away so they're not running down the middle of the face like older ones.

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010
I've seen discussion about airbrush primers but has anyone tried the Army Painter Airbrush primers? I've tried to do research on them on how they are compared to other brands but no one really talks about the primers nor the varnishes. Has anyone used them and how good are they?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a generic Miniatures gaming thread? Or does Trad Games just only have threads for specific games? I guess the stickied Trad Games Chat thread is kind of that?

Regardless I'll ask here anyways :v: Does anyone know of a Miniatures game that doesn't begin with both players deploying their whole army? Or at least a game where you don't know what your enemy's roster is?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Is there a generic Miniatures gaming thread? Or does Trad Games just only have threads for specific games? I guess the stickied Trad Games Chat thread is kind of that?

Regardless I'll ask here anyways :v: Does anyone know of a Miniatures game that doesn't begin with both players deploying their whole army? Or at least a game where you don't know what your enemy's roster is?

There's a thread for indie games: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The only game I can think of that doesn't start with deploying forces or building an army list is A Billion Suns where you requisition spaceships to jump into one of several tables as you play.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, thanks! I thought there was a generic one but I couldn't find it :)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sab669 posted:

If you like Vietnam Era I think this one might be of interest.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131466.0

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you like Vietnam Era I think this one might be of interest.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131466.0

Just quoting my post from the Indie Minis thread;

Sab669 posted:

I only ask because I've been playing a new video game, Moonbreaker, which markets itself as a digital miniatures game. Right now it has a contentious design decision where it feels a lot like a cardgame where you build your list of 10 Units and then at the start of the game you "draw" 3 (or 4, if you're going second) of them. Then each turn you can summon Units onto the board, provided you have enough of a resource to pay their summon Cost, and also spend the same resource to "draw" another unit into your hand. In this game you have no idea what your opponent's Roster is, which I haven't been a fan of. Fortunately the devs just announced they're scrapping the system where you "draw" units and instead you'll be able to choose from your full list what to deploy, but I still find myself wishing I knew what their roster was too.

I was just mostly curious if other games had a similar "blind" feeling.

Wasn't necessarily looking for recommendations of new games to try out, but thanks :)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Sab669 posted:

Does anyone know of a Miniatures game that doesn't begin with both players deploying their whole army? Or at least a game where you don't know what your enemy's roster is?

First, tons of them, most even. Just about every one of them I play has some form of staggered deployment, randomized deployment, reserves, or reinforcements. It would be faster to list the ones that don't. But for examples sake, current games with the above mentioned non-whole-army deployment: Dropzone Commander, Dropfleet Commander, Starship Troopers, Victory Decision, Billion Suns, Starmada, Dirtside II, Fistful of Tows, OGRE, Warmaster (Revolution), Mayhem, Warband, etc. Seriously, I'm cataloguing games I play and I can't think of a one of them that actually requires you to plop everything on the board to start.

Seconds, outside of tournaments, mandatory force disclosure basically doesn't exist. I usually don't know what my opponent is bringing regardless of game, and neither does he know what I'm bringing. Or rather, we share sample rosters all the time with no obligation to use the same one we talked about earlier whatsoever. Lots of last minute changes due to recently completed models, what we forgot to bring, mistakes in force org/point calculations, or just for the utter hell of it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Guess I'm just so used to the few systems I have played / watching Battle Reports online of those where they go over the lists beforehand.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Demilich posted:

Who makes the best sanding sticks for a good price?

Dollar Tree emery boards

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Do I have to thin Vallejo Grey Surface Primer for use in an airbrush? I tried it last night unthinned and it didn't seem to work great. If so, should I just use normal acrylic thinner? I have a bottle of Tamiya X20A.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 17, 2022

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

unpurposed posted:

Do I have to think Vallejo Grey Surface Primer for use in an airbrush? I tried it last night unthinned and it didn't seem to work great. If so, should I just use normal acrylic thinner? I have a bottle of Tamiya X20A.

You don't really have to in my experience, but it does go through my Patriot 105 better with a couple drops of flow improver

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

You don't really have to in my experience, but it does go through my Patriot 105 better with a couple drops of flow improver

Thanks! I’m just getting back into painting after a half decade break so will be picking up a bottle of this to help out :)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Any question about paints and airbrush suitability absolutely MUST include the nozzle size or it's basically meaningless anecdotes.

I use a 0.3mm for priming and basing, and I'd thin vallejo primer at about 5:1 with a premixed 10:1 water:flow-improver bottle I have around.

I've got a 0.2mm for detail work, and I first would not use it for priming, but if push comes to shove, I'd probably thin it to twice that ratio just so it doesn't constantly clog.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

unpurposed posted:

Do I have to think Vallejo Grey Surface Primer for use in an airbrush? I tried it last night unthinned and it didn't seem to work great. If so, should I just use normal acrylic thinner? I have a bottle of Tamiya X20A.

It will depend entirely on your airbrush needle size and what PSI you are running at. I run 0.4 needle a very low PSI, so I thin my Vallejo Surface Primer 3:1 thinner:primer. If I was running at higher PSI, I would need less thinner.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Good to know! I have an Iwata HP-CS with the 0.35mm needle and I was operating at 20PSI for more context. The website for the primer says about 15-20PSI was appropriate. Is that correct?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

unpurposed posted:

Good to know! I have an Iwata HP-CS with the 0.35mm needle and I was operating at 20PSI for more context. The website for the primer says about 15-20PSI was appropriate. Is that correct?

Since you are running almost my exact setup, try thinning like I do (3:1 thinner*:primer) and see how that works, then adjust from there.

* my thinner is a 4:1 mix of thinner:flow improver

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Lumpy posted:

Since you are running almost my exact setup, try thinning like I do (3:1 thinner*:primer) and see how that works, then adjust from there.

* my thinner is a 4:1 mix of thinner:flow improver

I am aghast your thinned primer even sticks to the model. I feel like if I have more than 1 part in 10 of flow improver in the mix it starts doing really squirrely capillary stuff and loving up details.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Slyphic posted:

I am aghast your thinned primer even sticks to the model. I feel like if I have more than 1 part in 10 of flow improver in the mix it starts doing really squirrely capillary stuff and loving up details.

It's worked well for hundreds of models, so.... :shrug:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

its taudi gras time and i gotta get both my devilfishes parade float ready

did my first largescale edge highlight on the left one but i still got a ways to go. any tips on what else to touch up before i varnish? im trying to figure out how else i can make them into mardi gras floats

mock up:

i gotta figure out how to give the lil commander a little trombone instead of the binoculars. im trying to figure out how to make them more festive.

not quite sure how im going to mardi gras the mechs but ill figure it out. maybe i can figure out how to do tiny gold fleur de lis stencils or something.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Casual Encountess posted:

did my first largescale edge highlight on the left one but i still got a ways to go. any tips on what else to touch up before i varnish? im trying to figure out how else i can make them into mardi gras floats

mock up:

i gotta figure out how to give the lil commander a little trombone instead of the binoculars. im trying to figure out how to make them more festive.

not quite sure how im going to mardi gras the mechs but ill figure it out. maybe i can figure out how to do tiny gold fleur de lis stencils or something.

I associate Mardi Gras more with the sock and buskin

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Casual Encountess posted:

mock up:

Vehicles are big enough that you might try applying a little masking tape for some of the highlights, it may help a little, especially on long straight panels.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I need to paint my Nachmund terrain this week- is there a hardware store silver/metal spray paint that would work well, or am I doomed to get an overpriced can of leadbelcher from GW?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I need to paint my Nachmund terrain this week- is there a hardware store silver/metal spray paint that would work well, or am I doomed to get an overpriced can of leadbelcher from GW?

Isn’t any silver paint spray good? You don’t need to get a GW spray can.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Are there any metallic washes in existence? I know that's a little difficult in theory because the metallic quality would spread everywhere and just be more concentrated in the crevices and such, but I figured I'd ask anyway since I'm fairly new to miniature painting, and haven't discovered all the tips and tricks yet. I could thin a regular metallic paint, I guess, but I'm not sure if it would produce such a good result or if I'm doomed to paint the metallic parts individually.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Any metallic can from the hardware store will be more than sufficient. That said, "not-quite drybrushing" with metallic craft paint is almost as fast, and looks much better over black primer in my opinion. I posted a pic of my terrain and process a few pages back if you want to see how it looks / how you do it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Lumpy posted:

Any metallic can from the hardware store will be more than sufficient. That said, "not-quite drybrushing" with metallic craft paint is almost as fast, and looks much better over black primer in my opinion. I posted a pic of my terrain and process a few pages back if you want to see how it looks / how you do it.

Ah! I was actually trying to find your exact method, I had convinced myself that I had seen it on the Kill Team reddit. Good looking out! That was all done with cheap craft paint, right? It looks fantastic.

Edit: Nevermind, you say it is right in your post. Thanks, I'll give it a go!

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 18, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lumpy posted:

I like drybrushing metals over black way more than just a flat layer of black. You get such good shadows this way.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

WindwardAway posted:

Are there any metallic washes in existence? I know that's a little difficult in theory because the metallic quality would spread everywhere and just be more concentrated in the crevices and such, but I figured I'd ask anyway since I'm fairly new to miniature painting, and haven't discovered all the tips and tricks yet. I could thin a regular metallic paint, I guess, but I'm not sure if it would produce such a good result or if I'm doomed to paint the metallic parts individually.

Not really. Metallic paints include particles, usually mica, that not only give them the shine of metal but also make them opaque, so you're not going to be able to get the wash effect using metallic paints.
If you're just looking for thinner high flow metallics, then yes they exist, Vallejo Metal Color is very thin and will flow over your model easily if you're trying to get a lot of coverage easily, but it's really meant for using in an airbrush.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
opalescent medium? it's not really metallic. more pearlescent.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

What is this? I want one

A Ratling Gun from here - https://www.kickstarter.com/project...jyPOTaeWut_lQJo
You can buy the collection of STLs here, a bit pricey though: https://www.myminifactory.com/campaigns/ravenous-hordes-385
You can buy individual printed models here: https://3dminis-factory.com/en/hero...YKRfki4WFJEroGc

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.

Bucnasti posted:

Not really. Metallic paints include particles, usually mica, that not only give them the shine of metal but also make them opaque, so you're not going to be able to get the wash effect using metallic paints.
If you're just looking for thinner high flow metallics, then yes they exist, Vallejo Metal Color is very thin and will flow over your model easily if you're trying to get a lot of coverage easily, but it's really meant for using in an airbrush.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured 😅 I just want some metallic paint to go into the grooves like how a shade would, but obviously not to the same effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I got some questions I want to ask

1) I've been looking into speedpaints and I keep hearing about a re activation issue. Is it as bad as it seems?
2) I want to do more layering and highlighting but is there a good guide out there to like mixing your own paints for those? I'd rather just find a way to like brighten up a base paint and use that for highlights than buying a whole new paint.