Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Oh yeah, no they should have made many more Nazis swing from ropes in Germany, but I guess people though it would be too cruel or something. There's a lot of very terrible people who were involved in the Nazi regime who did not face the headsman's axe for what they did.

The same is true about the DDR as well. Basically nobody in power there, including the leadership and foot soldiers of the Stasi, was ever held accountable.

But I suppose sometimes reconciliation involves giving a pass to offending parties. See: South Africa, Northern Ireland.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Kesper North posted:

They really needed to be saying "...and this is just what happens in societies where a fascist ideology really takes hold and remains rooted across multiple generations" because that's what they're describing. It's inherent in fascism. The Russians they're talking about grew up in a brutally abusive, traumatic environment. It reprograms people to behave in the way they're describing. You see the same post-truth, might-makes-right mentality in Trumpists for the same reasons. I'm not sure how you give an entire country the kind of therapy that's needed to heal that.

300kt at a time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

The same is true about the DDR as well. Basically nobody in power there, including the leadership and foot soldiers of the Stasi, was ever held accountable.

But I suppose sometimes reconciliation involves giving a pass to offending parties. See: South Africa, Northern Ireland.

Yeah I'm far less aware of the various crimes of people in power in the DDR, and how they wound up wrapped into the unified German state after the fact, but I'm going to bet a lot of DDR folks including the secret police wound up finding their way right back into power without very much grumbling because the Soviet Union was collapsing and the unifed German state was having to deal with the chaos of the fallout from that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It looks like Lt. Col. Roman Malyk, the guy in charge of the partial mobilization in Russia, has had a tragic accident and has died at the ripe old age of 49. Seeing as how his death came after the announced end of the mobilization, I'm sure that his death wasn't punishment for failing the dark lord for the last time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

It looks like Lt. Col. Roman Malyk, the guy in charge of the partial mobilization in Russia, has had a tragic accident and has died at the ripe old age of 49. Seeing as how his death came after the announced end of the mobilization, I'm sure that his death wasn't punishment for failing the dark lord for the last time.

How many stories was his fall from grace?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A.o.D. posted:

A LtCol in charge of mobilization in Russia. That's a lot of dead generals.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

It's just a regional guy, the rest is Twitter hyperbole.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So where did he mess up? Was it when they started press ganging white people in Moscow?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Fearless posted:

Very much so. I worked with some Japanese ESL students around when Pearl Harbor came out and I remember them being utterly devastated after seeing it-- not because the movie was bad (it was) but they could not imagine Japan just ambushing the US like that.
Did anyone tell them about Port Arthur?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Apparently Russia arrested the lead singer of Rammstein...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Well that might annoy the Germans enough that they give a poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

psydude posted:

How many stories was his fall from grace?

Must live in a one or two storey because he slipped and fell into a noose.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Source?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, in 2021.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Always check the dates of news articles.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

McGavin posted:

Yeah, in 2021.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

McGavin posted:

Yeah, in 2021.

Oh good, thought it was much more recent. Was curious why he might be in Russia anyways right now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ah, the same method I use with my students when they ask good questions during an exam that I can't just outright give the answer for.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
look all im saying is if you smoke this warehouse they'll probably stop the wave attacks, which maybe you actually want idk

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Oh good, thought it was much more recent. Was curious why he might be in Russia anyways right now.

Yeah, Rammstein cancelled all of their events in March and denounced the invasion. It'd be potential suicide for them to step foot in Russia now.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, Rammstein cancelled all of their events in March and denounced the invasion. It'd be potential suicide for them to step foot in Russia now.

Fixed that for you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

not suicide but they'd be political hostages

after the sims 3 is found in their luggage

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
“Hey guys there seems to be a number of general epaulets here. Not saying whether or not there’s a general though.”

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

“Hey guys there seems to be a number of general epaulets here. Not saying whether or not there’s a general though.”

Ukraine: Why is there only 1 target you've pointed out for today? Usually you send over dozens.

USA: Uhhhhhh well uhhhhh oh yeah have you heard of quiet quitting? Totally what happened. We're trying to uhhh install a ball pit at the uhhhh intelligence place.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a shell game but all the shells have generals

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bell_ posted:

Did anyone tell them about Port Arthur?

Never came up in conversation. Based off of the reaction to the movie, I was genuinely concerned about what a revelation like Nanking would have done to them.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fearless posted:

Never came up in conversation. Based off of the reaction to the movie, I was genuinely concerned about what a revelation like Nanking would have done to them.

City of Life and Death/Nanjing! Nanjing! would probably cause lasting emotional trauma. gently caress me, that's a hard one to watch. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I had to skip out in part two of the LLBD Podcast on Nanking. Can only imagine exploring that subject as an academic examination of your own heritage.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/HeathMayo/status/1582391522820923392?t=bS95HHq0_QYS7JbDSLjtAQ&s=19

Got to give more handouts and tax breaks to the rich

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
This is a thing that worries me, I try to avoid everything political at this point due to the existential dread and extraordinary anxiety it makes me feel, among other things, we should not end aid to Ukraine in any way.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

:belarus:

https://twitter.com/cossackgundi/status/1582154778183753729?t=4Gdk97HKEHmH9HsJPJVedg&s=19

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1582351468530921472

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

this is how you fall out a window on the General Dynamics factory tour

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

KM: "sorry sorry im trying to delete it sorry"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

wounds indicate self inflicted gunshots from a GAU-8 Avenger at a distance of 50 meters

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The tankies keep complaining about the West fighting "to the last Ukrainian", but I suspect Putin fighting "to the last Belarusian" will get as much lip service from them as did "to the last DNR/LNR conscript".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

The tankies keep complaining about the West fighting "to the last Ukrainian", but I suspect Putin fighting "to the last Belarusian" will get as much lip service from them as did "to the last DNR/LNR conscript".

"How can NATO fight to the last Belarussian?!" :qq:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
even after spending 2 years yelling about how the republican party was on track to fracture, it's still wild to see the republican party fracturing in real time

btw for where people stand on this issue:

Alan Smithee posted:

KM: "sorry sorry im trying to delete it sorry"

I doubt it, it's basically just trumpists who are anti-Ukraine and KM has 100% throw his lot in with them. To give him maximum benefit of the doubt, the republicans might try to do a split messaging campaign where house races play up the pro-Russia stuff and senate/national campaigns avoid the subject. still it's a loving wild thing to tweet out right now

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 18, 2022

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I wonder if Iranian drone production is something the US/Israel could hinder with a limited air campaign

Edit:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

even after spending 2 years yelling about how the republican party was on track to fracture, it's still wild to see the republican party fracturing in real time

btw for where people stand on this issue:

Republicans always come home to the party leadership, don't kid yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

slurm posted:

Republicans always come home to the party leadership, don't kid yourself.

oh yeah totally that's why we have a republican president huh