Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sapozhnik posted:

Gonna go ahead and drop the Worst Opinion itt:

P4G and P5R had better intro songs/movies than the originals, but that's all they have going for them over the base games.

I like P5's intro better than P5R personally. Agree P4G's is better than P4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7WGjSrk-M

I like the Persona 4 Golden animation OP

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like Shadow World but even forgetting all that, P4G added many great things.

Like the winter stuff, including my all time favorite song in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTbH43n77Q

And this shoulda just been in the original game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjuormKijYw

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
oh drat, I was thinking about Persona 4 Golden the Animation as an early birthday present for myself and it appears it's out of print.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i have literally the opposite opinion of p5, the original opening is the best one but idk why you'd play the original jsut with all the QOL changes they implemented

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i have literally the opposite opinion of p5, the original opening is the best one but idk why you'd play the original jsut with all the QOL changes they implemented
I feel the same way about Persona 4. Vanilla opening is better, but Golden has manual skill inheritance, so there's a clear winner there.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I too think that base P4 and P5 have the better openings but Golden and Royal add too many good things to pass up, even if you do have to deal with Marie.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Oh I'm just talking about the openings, P5R and P4G are by far the better way to play. Although you can make the argument that Marie is extraneous to the P4 story and to me doesn't feel like she fits very well into the rest of the game.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Yeah I figured we were just talking aesthetics of the OPs irrespective of the games themselves. I feel like the originals tend to get the tone better than the remade versions, myself.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Every original OP is better

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

Every original OP is better

I think that's true not just of 3-5 but even of 1 and 2, the original openings were great at establishing atmosphere even if 1's is a bit crude/dated in execution.
Across all the games in general the remade openings have a decent upbeat pop aesthetic but tend to lose the dark or creepy side of the games' atmospheres.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 17, 2022

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Nthing the love for the original 4 and 5 OPs. I like how vanilla P4's opening has that creepy voyeuristic thing going when it showcases the cast; it sets the tone well.

I like every P3 opening pretty equally though, they're all great.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hell yeah less than 1 week before I can play P5R on my laptop.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I will give the Innocent Sin remake's OP some credit, I think they did a really good job visually despite being given a song that doesn't quite fit.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

I liked vanilla P4's opening enough to watch it every time I started the game. Not a big fan of the P4G opening, though it's not terrible.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I disliked the vanilla P4 opening so much that it killed any interest I might have had in the game whenever I first encountered it. The music sounds grating and disjointed somehow. The rest of the soundtrack is pretty good though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Definitely a P4G opening person, the original was... not terrible maybe, but definitely not to my tastes. Then again I never liked the P3 soundtrack so my opinion might not be worth much :v:

Also to round off the terrible tastes bingo, I think Time to Make History is far superior to Reach Out to the Truth, to the point where I never did ambush attacks in P4G.

I'll see myself out :mods:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/scarfedbrit/status/1582041741599068160?s=46&t=rx62lY2fd55iO2jBH0XG8Q

Also, the port reviews are starting to come out:

anakha fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 17, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aside from being a bit blurry on handheld it runs perfect on the Switch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's weirdly fun to see non-Playstation button prompts on the combat menu, not just the keyboard ones

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've seen how nice it runs at 60fps on the console ports, I can't imagine how it will look with the PC version having a 120fps option

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

anakha posted:

I've seen how nice it runs at 60fps on the console ports, I can't imagine how it will look with the PC version having a 120fps option

Imagine no more (technically youtube only supports 4K/60, but they're running solid at 120)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRfWQNsi_TI

Just need to know how it runs on a Steam Deck

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SMTNetwork/status/1581655056956370944

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They probably won't because they want to sell the game in places that costume is verboten. Same reason for the weird Nocturne sitch

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 17, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I get that Raidou has a cool design, but yeah, that era of school uniform is kind of inextricably tied to Japanese colonialism and would cause headaches for the company in certain foreign markets. It's the reason we're probably never getting a Raidou game again.

e: it's also why the Nocturne rerelease made Raidou DLC

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wonder, is this something modders could put back in the game? I don't know how any of this works but take FFXIII-2 for example where they removed all the DLC costumes for Serah and Noel but modders were able to put them back in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Almost certainly. For context, there's someone backporting all the Royal content into the PS3 version of P5 so you can play it emulated for... some reason

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It probably wouldn't be hard. They might even still be in the game's code awaiting a switch flip.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Arist posted:

I get that Raidou has a cool design, but yeah, that era of school uniform is kind of inextricably tied to Japanese colonialism and would cause headaches for the company in certain foreign markets. It's the reason we're probably never getting a Raidou game again.

How about a new Raidou game, featuring a new Raidou in the 1980's? And it would involve a war between rival yakuza groups using demons. And you could explore the city freely between story events, and go to the sega arcades and play classic sega games or mahjong or whatever. And either Kiryu or Majima makes a gratuitous cameo for no reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm such a sucker for how good 60fps P5 looks that I would almost be willing to buy the game again on PS5, even though I already have and finished the PS4 version of Royal, except that you apparently can't transfer your PS4 version save. If I did play it again anytime soon it would be NG+ so that not being an option makes buying it again even less attractive.

That 60fps does look real, real nice though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Considering I'm currently in the middle of an LP of P5R I probably shouldn't buy it again because I can't transfer my save, but I wonder if the Game Pass version will allow for PS prompts if you use a PS controller. I know it's probably just the same as the Steam version, which makes that likely, but controller support on Game Pass is real fuckin' sketchy sometimes

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Arist posted:

i feel like for atlus its just :effort: to do the smt3 hd thing with raidou (like dante) as dlc in china and south korea with a special non-maniax version that does that, vs just making a version that completely cuts it universally

also i don't think it helps that, that p5r dlc gives another char an imperial japan uniform a guy from raidou 1 wore too 😔

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
P4G's opening is better than P4 because in P4G it puts Yosuke in a literal trash can and I feel he belongs there.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I own P5R on PS4 (well 5, since I have a 5 and backwards compatibility I guess) so is there anything I get for buying it again for PC or PS5 besides just 60fps?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you have a Steam Deck, it's portable.

Probably mods, if you give the community a few months.

But AFAIK it's exactly the same game as on PS4/5. They even cut a DLC (Raidou outfits) because it has a school uniform from Imperial Japan, which is problematic if you plan to sell the game in China and Korea, both of whom were frequent targets of Japanese expansionism in those days.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mods are probably the big thing, otherwise yeah I think it's mostly just 4k/120FPS on the PC version if you so choose.

And steam deck portability yeah

Edit: I wonder what the first highly posted mod for P5R will be. My money is on replacing the main character with a CJ model, seems like it's been the hot mod tech for awhile

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 18, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I hope someone mods out all the romance

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Edit: I wonder what the first highly posted mod for P5R will be. My money is on replacing the main character with a CJ model, seems like it's been the hot mod tech for awhile

I'll be shocked if the first widespread mod isn't Akechi-related.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

anakha posted:

I'll be shocked if the first widespread mod isn't Akechi-related.

akechi navigator for the entire game :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4PqshRBjuY

This is the best video on the internet, and nobody's done this with the Persona 4 Golden opening. QED.