Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Those chairs look like actual garbage

They're literal garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

oh rly posted:

Tell us more about the pizzatitty place. Do you have an idea on why it failed? Got the old name?

Perhaps you can hire the old staff and expand into the donuttitty industry.

Pizzatitty place was in the middle of nowhere for starters. I got there by way of punkin holler road, as an example of how remote this place was. Generally you’d want to be visible from the freeway so lonely dudes know where to pull off for a sniff, but I feel like you’d literally never find this place by accident.

Then behind the bar in this rural Pennsylvania unincorporated area was a sign that said “no club colors” which tells me that the crowd had not been very chill.

Then the stage was like an afterthought like they made it a titty bar when they realized there wasn’t enough traffic and they didn’t have a lot of cash on hand.

The guy said theft is what eventually did him under. He said the drawer and the bottles were just always light no matter how many people he fired. And I can believe it because if I was a stripper dancing for four dudes making loving $30 in tips I’d rob the till to square up, too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You should sell cookies in the afternoon so you can hit up the kids coming out of school/parents going to pick them up then too.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

builds character posted:

You should sell cookies in the afternoon so you can hit up the kids coming out of school/parents going to pick them up then too.

Yeah definitely the distributor sells frozen cookie dough at like .40 a cookie that you just dump on a tray and bake. $2 or 2/$3 all day long.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Why even close? Coffee and donuts for commuters in the morning, cookies for kids in the afternoon, and shots and beers at night. You can sell any “waste” donuts for a discount to the bar flies at night too to eliminate your waste problem.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

Gonna go get some more pics later today I’m pretty hype

this is just a picture of a bunch of chairs and junk

fake thread

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If you won't listen to this thread, at least listen to your uhaul

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

A big part of my model is about employee buy-in. If everyone’s pay is yoked to the till they’ll be more interested in getting transactions wrapped up quickly and correctly. The whole team will be interested in getting new hires up to speed. The whole team will be interested in the continued success of the enterprise.

Everything you've posted so far is full of red flags but this is one of the most hilarious.

It's obvious you've never worked somewhere with sales people on commission, or at least not closely enough to them to understand how this works out. You, the owner of this building and business have long term goals. Someone selling poo poo has only short term economic incentives - very short in fact - and will have no reason to care about your long term success. They will never own the building/donut shop nor do they want to work there forever. They need to get while the gettin is good.

Will everyone conduct themselves this way? Of course not. Some will just sit back and let the eager suckers do the work for them.

None of this is a substitute for training, management, supervision and proper business/money handling procedures. None of this is going to prevent batch mistakes by someone doing the same goddamn thing every day for weeks at a time. None of this is going to stop people pillaging the till.

Just like the laundry list of other things, in this you have not figured out "that one weird trick" that all these business nerds with their spreadsheets and business plans have missed.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
When we went to liquidation sales we were a lot more discerning. Even going so far as to try and save on the uhaul cost. A colleague who was less so, offered us a derelict kegerator incubator. We accepted it, but it's still just taking up space. Didn't want to leave her on read though

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Is it bad that I can smell the chairs when I see that picture?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Is it bad that I can smell the chairs when I see that picture?

I wouldn’t out myself as a guy who smells chairs

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Why even close? Coffee and donuts for commuters in the morning, cookies for kids in the afternoon, and shots and beers at night. You can sell any “waste” donuts for a discount to the bar flies at night too to eliminate your waste problem.

OP has the waste problem figured out. Send them to the homeless shelter, and you get some sick tax incentives!

Other than that, staying open is a pretty solid idea. I wonder if OP is familiar with standard profit margins on alcohol? That’s free money.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's weird you are buying restaurant stuff in bulk because of getting such great "deals". This usually ends with a restaurant full of lovely, old, mismatching décor and things that break where you have no warranty or service contract for repair so it costs 4x to get it fixed.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

What you call “mismatched” I call “fun and quirky”

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

oh rly posted:

Tell us more about the pizzatitty place. Do you have an idea on why it failed? Got the old name?

Perhaps you can hire the old staff and expand into the donuttitty industry.

TikTok keeps trying very hard to convince me that lingerie baristas are a thing. Maybe he can throw on a corset and work front counter too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sundae posted:

TikTok keeps trying very hard to convince me that lingerie baristas are a thing. Maybe he can throw on a corset and work front counter too.

That's been a thing in CA for decades for the lingerie Vietnamese coffee places.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/sRbDtpT

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Upgrade posted:

Full send, all gas, no brakes, gently caress permits take a sledgehammer to your brick walls

I want to hire you to open a donut shop across from the OP.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Elephanthead posted:

I want to hire you to open a donut shop across from the OP.

Hell yeah, someone start a goon fund for Upgrade's Coffee and Donuts: It's an Upgrade on the Competition

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Was the reach in operating and down to temp when you bought it? If not it's very unlikely it works at all and will cost you a few hundred bucks to just dispose of it. Likely a lot more to make it work.

Those chairs are "fire house chairs" and I remember restaurants finally getting rid of them en mass in the early 2000s.

The fryers are way too small and don't have the correct rack for donuts. I doubt you can even get the correct rack in that width.

The "stage lighting" is trash. Nobody uses incandescent lights like that anymore because buying LED ones pays for itself in not many hours of runtime.

Have you actually run the mixer? They're pretty stout but it's not unheard of for them to the motor/transmission/bearing problems.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ok with pictures I'm back in on this thread.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Motronic posted:

Was the reach in operating and down to temp when you bought it? If not it's very unlikely it works at all and will cost you a few hundred bucks to just dispose of it. Likely a lot more to make it work.

Those chairs are "fire house chairs" and I remember restaurants finally getting rid of them en mass in the early 2000s.

The fryers are way too small and don't have the correct rack for donuts. I doubt you can even get the correct rack in that width.

The "stage lighting" is trash. Nobody uses incandescent lights like that anymore because buying LED ones pays for itself in not many hours of runtime.

Have you actually run the mixer? They're pretty stout but it's not unheard of for them to the motor/transmission/bearing problems.

Auctioneers posted some sort of operational warranty but if it’s busted my union hall buddy is an hvac/r tech and he claims he’ll fix anything that heats or cools and he lives a few blocks from the shop.

There’s $1.25 of firewood in those chairs

The fryers aren’t really pertinent to donuts but I got them for $40 and theyre $1755 new so eat my rear end nerd. You can’t get an air fryer for $80. Are they gonna be $3000 hosed up or will they spit out like a hundred pounds of fries an hour in my next wildly successful enterprise

Stage lighting yeah not really even worth the $50 but io was already taking a uhaul out there so gently caress it

As for the mixer no I bought it sight unseen because the stickers looked fresh which told me it hadn’t been used hard. The mixer was the primary reason I was looking at the auction and I had originally “budgeted” 5k for a good mixer so instead I got this one plus a bunch of other poo poo for $5100 and we’re gonna see how it shakes out. Some other goon was telling me I couldn’t use my kitchen aid and I didn’t respond because how rude

Donut guy has a belshaw adamatic 718 along with a glazing table, speedracks, proofers, a dough sheeter, pedal filler, various and sundry small wares. He gave me the Lester chastain dvd and told me to reach out in November. I’m not sure how much to offer or if I should mention the deals I’ve been getting.

Then I still have to get all the coffee stuff

Electrician quoted 17k

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh, the "donut guy" is just someone offloading one piece. I thought you were talking about a sales rep.

This thread dredging up memories i didn't know i had
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXeYNmqp8X4

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

Auctioneers posted some sort of operational warranty but if it’s busted my union hall buddy is an hvac/r tech and he claims he’ll fix anything that heats or cools and he lives a few blocks from the shop.

Of course he will. The point is whether he's working for free and paying for all the parts and gas you need. I'm gonna guess that's a "no".

Just lol to the rest of this. You have no idea what your startup costs are because you're just buying junk lots of poo poo, some of which may work, and most of which isn't usable for your donut business.

Or is your side hustle now going to be used restaurant equipment? Maybe if you do that you can fund your donut venture so you have that sweet sweet 3 am to 4 pm hobby job. Then you can go around back and scrub out nasty old fryers and beg guys at the hall to fix portable refrigeration equipment for day old donuts until 7 or 8 pm and figure out where to sell them so you can keep your donut shop open.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Brother, you are manic.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
So I’m not a kitchen guy but you’re a psychiatrist

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm a non-practicing mental health professional and I'm not seeing mania, but I would very much like to see pictures of your kitchen, bedroom and living room, as they are right now, without doing any cleanup or.. intentional dirtying.

I got a theory

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
That’s a weird ask bro let me see yours first

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rationale posted:

That’s a weird ask bro let me see yours first

And these are some strange happenings, dog!! I'm just curious what the situation is at home

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Stop being a creep dude.

I did some research.

They don't have an intercom, I was at the window for less than 60 seconds. $22 before tip

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Epitope posted:

Stop being a creep dude.

I did some research.

They don't have an intercom, I was at the window for less than 60 seconds. $22 before tip
But did they use the premium batter??

Motronic posted:

Just lol to the rest of this. You have no idea what your startup costs are because you're just buying junk lots of poo poo, some of which may work, and most of which isn't usable for your donut business.
It's cool, if OP just keeps buying kitchen equipment then eventually a functional donut shop will manifest out of thin air.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I’m closer than I was last week

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Epitope posted:

Stop being a creep dude.

I did some research.

Those look pretty good but that price seems high so you pay a paradise tax?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Stuff costs more here than the midwest, if that's what you mean

I forgot to say I think there were two people working in the front of the house, but I couldn't see that well

Epitope fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 18, 2022

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Residency Evil posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Residency Evil posted:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I have to admit that the idea of a savory donut option is very appealing. However a ham gruyere donut would sell for like five bucks minimum.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
good luck OP, your donut shop will only succeed if you keep this thread updated. remember that.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Rationale posted:

I’m closer than I was last week

Are you, though? You don't know what works, you spent money on literal garbage--those chairs aren't firewood, especially the plastic and metal ones in the U-Haul picture--you don't know if you even bought the right kind of fryer--but talking about expanding into making french fries when you haven't even made a single example of your main product

Go make some donuts, I can't say it enough. YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU LIKE AND ARE ANY GOOD AT MAKING DONUTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Are you, though? You don't know what works, you spent money on literal garbage--those chairs aren't firewood, especially the plastic and metal ones in the U-Haul picture--you don't know if you even bought the right kind of fryer--but talking about expanding into making french fries when you haven't even made a single example of your main product

Go make some donuts, I can't say it enough. YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU LIKE AND ARE ANY GOOD AT MAKING DONUTS

What did you do yesterday?

Rationale fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 19, 2022