Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

open concept is objectively better than small closed off rooms so if they do that that is at least a real improvement .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm pretty sure our house was a flipped one when we bought it, they just put paint on all the ugly wallpaper and I was too dumb to notice. They also had a great sense of interior design and had cool rugs and decor, I didn't realize the floors needed to be refinished badly.

It's a good house though, and someday maybe I'll deal with the stupid painted over wallpaper. I had lingering regrets but they've disappeared since we bought it in 2018 and it sure as poo poo isn't something we could afford anymore.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

It's a problem to assume that housing needs to be endlessly "updated" in this way in the first place, and it's part of what's pushing housing prices beyond affordability for almost everyone.

The McMansion Hell lady covered this years ago, I can't find the article right now but "fix your outdated home" poo poo is a direct result of the rise of reality TV stuff about house flipping and buying in the early 00s.

euphronius posted:

open concept is objectively better than small closed off rooms so if they do that that is at least a real improvement .

open concept is also an artifact of the early 00s house flipping television boom, because it films better

Apr 7, 2003

open concept is just better, and coincidentally all the Victorian era railroad townhouses around here are twice as much as nearby comparable properties

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Wrong.gif

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My house, I don't know what it's called but I call it "old farmhouse style" - it's not open concept but you can run around the centrally located stairs / unused chimney in a circle.

I wish I could see what was going on in my living room while I was cooking. But it does make for good toddler chasing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If you love open concept so much, live in a field! Those exterior walls and roof just bind you.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

open floor plan is perfect when you want your house to burn down extremely quickly.
obviously they’ll all burn down relatively fast compared to homes that are built out of anything but just plywood, but that’s a bit besides the point.

Apr 7, 2003

it's cool, your house burning down just means an opportunity to upgrade

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Joan Cusak standing in front of the exploded mansion in Addams Family Values posted:

it's cool, your house burning down just means an opportunity to upgrade

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

It's a problem to assume that housing needs to be endlessly "updated" in this way in the first place, and it's part of what's pushing housing prices beyond affordability for almost everyone.

Who's saying "endlessly" ? How often is it acceptable to update a home in your eyes?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Who's saying "endlessly" ? How often is it acceptable to update a home in your eyes?

Never, now gently caress off.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Never, now gently caress off.

:qq: some more for me

Apr 7, 2003

look, they even give you a schedule now

Just put $40K into your kitchen every decade, no biggy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I think it’s good when people can live in modernized, safe energy efficient homes.

Apr 7, 2003

Personally I think it’s good when people can live in modernized, safe energy efficient homes.

The sort of "updates" people are being told they have to do aren't making homes any safer or more energy efficient, they're cosmetic.

Removing interior walls can make a space less energy efficient.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Personally I think it's good when people don't defend house flipping in the c-spam housing thread but here we all are

:pathetic:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The sort of "updates" people are being told they have to do aren't making homes any safer or more energy efficient, they're cosmetic.

Removing interior walls can make a space less energy efficient.

Well then I guess we’re talking past each other. Stuff like new energy efficient windows, better insulation, high efficiency furnaces, lead paint/asbestos remediation, lead pipe remediation, etc

Apr 7, 2003

Well then I guess we’re talking past each other. Stuff like new energy efficient windows, better insulation, high efficiency furnaces, lead paint/asbestos remediation, lead pipe remediation, etc

When people talk about "updating their homes" they're not talking about that and flippers by and large don't do that poo poo, they paste over problems and throw the house on the market again.

When I was buying in 2015 I looked at a flipper house that was the same price as the one we eventually bought except it was a total loving mess with a new poorly done roofing job with nail head pop-through and an IKEA kitchen "upgrade" that was all hosed up wrt the plumbing. Also the furnace leaked gas into the basement. After I flushed the inspection report and moved on, someone else bought the house and abandoned it a year or two ago.

The house we ended up buying was rejected by multiple buyers because it didn't have a kitchen island. The kitchen is 12'x14', you aren't fitting a fuckin island in there.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It seems to me that flipping is entirely a product of easy, low interest-rate financing for both the flippers and the buyers. The current rates should kill it off pretty quickly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

No one does that poo poo until it needs to be done.

So a flipper might do some of those things. Entirely half assed. Then slap a fresh coat of eggshell white over everything that isn't a marble countertop or tile backsplash.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The most well done thing in my home is the very clearly done telephone wiring, I think this place had like 3 numbers at one point. It's so meticulous and beautiful.

And completely useless.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When people talk about "updating their homes" they're not talking about that and flippers by and large don't do that poo poo, they paste over problems and throw the house on the market again.

When I was buying in 2015 I looked at a flipper house that was the same price as the one we eventually bought except it was a total loving mess with a new poorly done roofing job with nail head pop-through and an IKEA kitchen "upgrade" that was all hosed up wrt the plumbing. Also the furnace leaked gas into the basement. After I flushed the inspection report and moved on, someone else bought the house and abandoned it a year or two ago.

The house we ended up buying was rejected by multiple buyers because it didn't have a kitchen island. The kitchen is 12'x14', you aren't fitting a fuckin island in there.

amybe not in your area but that stuff's all required by code around here. again, i think we're talking past each other. Sounds like you're talking folks who basiaclly put lipstick on a pig .. no poo poo those guys are unscrupulous actors

"updating your home" means new paint and floors and maybe a new backsplash or two.

Nothus posted:

It seems to me that flipping is entirely a product of easy, low interest-rate financing for both the flippers and the buyers. The current rates should kill it off pretty quickly.

that, and the secret's been out for a while now. i think everyone is aware of the "hidden value" of their outdated home and the bargains that you can turn around and flip for quick profit arent really a thing anymore. The efficient free market wins again

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

External Organs posted:

The most well done thing in my home is the very clearly done telephone wiring, I think this place had like 3 numbers at one point. It's so meticulous and beautiful.

And completely useless.

our PO’s has an extensive security system, as well as an intercom system for the basement, which for a 1200sq house seems pointless because someone can sneeze anywhere upstairs or downstairs and I can hear it at any other spot in the house. I pulled down two full garbage bags of completely useless wiring.

this was absolutely either a former rental or a flip, and the only thing they bothered to do was upgrade the kitchen with new cabinets and counter top (no appliances) and reglaze the tub and tile in the bathroom. poo poo like this wiring, and the completely overgrown landscaping were trivial but time consuming things to fix.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

amybe not in your area but that stuff's all required by code around here. again, i think we're talking past each other. Sounds like you're talking folks who basiaclly put lipstick on a pig .. no poo poo those guys are unscrupulous actors

This is incredibly stupid. "Required by code" means nothing if you're not doing something that requires inspection. Nobody is checking your insulation if you're replacing carpeting with LVP. No one is looking at your electrical just because you installed a new builder-grade 3-tab roof.

"House flippers" literally refers to people putting lipstick on a pig. That's what it is. This weird thing you're describing where well-meaning contractors come into a home and modernize it for a modest profit is... not a thing in any real housing market. There's no money in that compared to making a house that was already fine look trendy and marking the price up by $100k.

Don't complain about talking past people when you're just making up your own definitions for well-understood terms.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

again, i think we're talking past each other.

Yeah!! Everyone else is talking about house flipping and you're talking about sensible renovations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my friend is buying a house here (minneapolis). the price is 2.25x the price (adjusted for inflation) it last sold for in 1992. and with 7% mortgage rates too now of course.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

actionjackson posted:

my friend is buying a house here (minneapolis). the price is 2.25x the price (adjusted for inflation) it last sold for in 1992. and with 7% mortgage rates too now of course.

your friend is about to get owned

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Like the answer for how often a home should be updated is actually, literally, "never," at least if you're talking about middlemen who come in and do it for a profit. There's no reason for that ever to happen and it adds effectively zero value for the new buyers, who could have the exact updates and improvements they want for a fraction of the markup they're paying.

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Like the answer for how often a home should be updated is actually, literally, "never," at least if you're talking about middlemen who come in and do it for a profit. There's no reason for that ever to happen and it adds effectively zero value for the new buyers, who could have the exact updates and improvements they want for a fraction of the markup they're paying.

Not a bad return on a little vinyl, some mulch, and a bit of drywall, paint, and clearance appliances.

Apr 7, 2003

looks like they replaced two windows too.

That's a 1920s--era Sears kit house that I've always liked so I've kept track of it, that one sold to the flippers without ever showing up on public listings.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
All Money In Investing, LLC

lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

your friend is about to get owned

fortunately she has amazon RSUs to help with the down payment

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

The thing I find most irritating about the flipper aesthetic is the same thing I find irritating about new cars. They push materials choices (marble countertops vs shiny black plastic finishes) that look good once, for like a minute, just long enough to sell the product. Then they go completely to poo poo as soon as you use them in the real world. It's maddening that that's where the money goes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think kitchen remodels are pushing 70k now

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

Only gotta do it once a decade, no big deal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

another reason why i have a small kitchen and small place in general. I think the total cost of every single thing I did for my home (which was basically everything) was 35-40k. that includes replacing the hvac and appliances, flooring, etc. one big cost saving was keeping the cabinet frames and then having new drawers and doors put on that were larger, so it looks frameless.

the only original stuff left are the cabinet boxes, the closet doors, and the dryer.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

ok, sure, agreed

what about a homeowner updating their house before selling it to list it for the highest price possible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hvac should be upgraded if you have like ancient broken poo poo. I agree it’s probably not worth it to keep redoing kitchens and bathrooms as buyers are generally looking for location and bedroom/bathrooms exclusively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

fridge broke last week, landlord couldn't get a new one delivered until today. the stupid thing is way smaller than the last one, doesn't even have handles, just finger slots lmao

gently caress landlords now and forever