Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
free young thug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

For other text, it should always be on screen long enough to read 3 times by a native speaker, and that font, formating and so on tell more about the meaning of the text than the text itself (visually speaking)

why do your evil professors want to put those hardworking clickbait writers out of business in the split second easter egg market

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

Just something that I thought I'd point out: All of the footage from the various countries and even Hammer were from Tony's personal phone, possibly from his personal server mentioned in IM1. Which means that he's been actively keeping a very close and a very good eye on people trying to copy the Iron Man tech. And doing a better job at it than the actual government and military.

Tony knows exactly how badly literally anyone else having his suit tech would be. He may play it off in a funny, blaze way, a childish, selfish jerk being difficult and sticking his finger to authority, but he knows. He's very acutely aware of the danger, the potential abuse, the sheer destructive capability, everything what he's made is capable of. And he knows he's the only thing stopping it from getting into the wrong hands.

Everyone's claims of Tony not taking the Armors existence and danger potential seriously enough are nothing short of brain-dead idiots. He was, albeit in his own way. Always had been. Tony was looking out for the world, to protect it from the crap he introduced to it, long before he really had any responsibility to do so. It would have been so easy for him to just not care, to go "Not my fault they copied me." But he never did, because Tony always had the heart of a hero. a protector.

Tony was always there for the world. While simultaneously making most of said world want to punch him in his face. An absolute icon.

it owns how no one can positively describe anything tony stark actually does in these movies without sounding like theyre a member of a cult

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Antonymous posted:

I'd say the zoom in is built-in 'director's commentary' saying "hey audience, we are now just going to have them act in english, but in the 'reality' of the film please understand they are speaking german". In school I learned that if you don't tell something from a character's subjective point of view, then the shot will read as director's commentary, there is no 'objectivity' in storytelling. Another example, if two people are having an intimate moment and we cut wide, they are in a restaurant and the whole room is looking at them, we can get a laugh or realize they are lost in their love or something. it's sorta a comment on them from the filmmaker, or else it must be the point of view of another person in the room which gives us another understanding of the events. Either a character, or director's point of view.

so if I was working on a film I would talk to the director about it being non diagetic commentary on the events of the story and that we want to make sure the audience understands the switch to english is a matter of presentation/direction

idk if that seems too obvious or basic but that's all I can think of to answer you

edit: or if you mean why switch to English, it's cause it's easier to watch for native english speakers and they don't have to read subtitles which as I said always kinda work against experiencing the movie. so it's a conceit for accessibility. not really a dramatic technique I guess?

That was great thanks

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

double negative posted:

last thing i saw in theaters was the woman king which was fun visually, entertaining in the way that watching a swole viola davis run around and kill colonizers is guaranteed to be, but contrived as all hell and genuinely bad from a historical standpoint
White people has been allowed to make movies that are bad from a historical standpoint for decades now. But when black people does the same it is very concerning.
Not saying that that was your opinion, but I've read at least one thinkpiece this week about how the Woman King is part of the heinous woke agenda to change how we view history.

Alhazred has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Oct 18, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

platzapS posted:

Hereditary had an absolutely amazing sequence but the end where the demons are unambiguously real was silly. Much like Rosemary's Baby.

Would I like Midsommar?

i liked the intro which is intense but don't go in expecting a horror film, its more of a slow paced black comedy version of wickerman where youre meant to root for the deaths of the dumbass main cast. i think my and my friends issue was we went in expecting it to be a horror and ended up terminally bored instead cause jesus christ it felt its 3 hour length

i dont remember there being any directly supernatural elements though

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Oct 18, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Antonymous posted:

I'd say the zoom in is built-in 'director's commentary' saying "hey audience, we are now just going to have them act in english, but in the 'reality' of the film please understand they are speaking german". In school I learned that if you don't tell something from a character's subjective point of view, then the shot will read as director's commentary, there is no 'objectivity' in storytelling. Another example, if two people are having an intimate moment and we cut wide, they are in a restaurant and the whole room is looking at them, we can get a laugh or realize they are lost in their love or something. it's sorta a comment on them from the filmmaker, or else it must be the point of view of another person in the room which gives us another understanding of the events. Either a character, or director's point of view.

so if I was working on a film I would talk to the director about it being non diagetic commentary on the events of the story and that we want to make sure the audience understands the switch to english is a matter of presentation/direction

idk if that seems too obvious or basic but that's all I can think of to answer you

edit: or if you mean why switch to English, it's cause it's easier to watch for native english speakers and they don't have to read subtitles which as I said always kinda work against experiencing the movie. so it's a conceit for accessibility. not really a dramatic technique I guess?

This is a ridiculous way of defining things

If Jackie Chan is the director, and the star, and tbe camera goes way up high over his head, whose perspective is it? It can't be chan the actor or Chan the director

It's the cameras/movies perspectives, chosen by dozens of workers including lights, cinematographer, camera operator (might also be chan in some scenes!!!) Etc

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
chan chan he's our man

that's for when Jackie Chan is going up at bat. during the film team softball game

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I need to watch more martial arts films. You guys know good stuff. Any reccs?

mastershakeman posted:

If Jackie Chan is the director, and the star, and tbe camera goes way up high over his head, whose perspective is it? It can't be chan the actor or Chan the director

It's the cameras/movies perspectives, chosen by dozens of workers including lights, cinematographer, camera operator (might also be chan in some scenes!!!) Etc

This is kinda the way we can use auteur theory to location some sort of personal thesis about a narrative in some sort of source external to ourselves, isn't it? We talk about a film having a perspective, or a director owning a film and arguing a thesis through it (even if it's just something as simple and lovely as "boobs nice, explosions pretty good too"). But actually we're just attributing our own personal thesis to someone else.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tubi has a ton of old kung fu movies btw. They aren't the famous ones, but they're all still great.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Open Source Idiom posted:

I need to watch more martial arts films. You guys know good stuff. Any reccs?

This is kinda the way we can use auteur theory to location some sort of personal thesis about a narrative in some sort of source external to ourselves, isn't it? We talk about a film having a perspective, or a director owning a film and arguing a thesis through it (even if it's just something as simple and lovely as "boobs nice, explosions pretty good too"). But actually we're just attributing our own personal thesis to someone else.

auter theory is wrong

martial arts recs: what are you looking for? pure martial arts or 'action' generally?
first, i'd watch the top 20 on this list https://filmschoolrejects.com/best-action-movies-decade/5/ add in upgrade & john wick & edge of tomorrow

then i'd branch out into some of the big jackie chan 80s and 90s movies - police story, drunken master 2, rumble in the bronx, rush hour. add in some of sammo's stuff like millionaire's express, project a, eastern condors.
and start diving into what you like from there. i got back into watch movies 3 years ago and since then have seen 174 of them (101 this year alone) so i'm happy to give you a deluge of info . this isn't even touching on the earlier shaw brothers or bruce lee , which have their own merits

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Oct 18, 2022

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Alhazred posted:

White people has been allowed to make movies that are bad from a historical standpoint for decades now. But when black people does the same it is very concerning.
Not saying that that was your opinion, but I've read at least one thinkpiece this week about how the Woman King is part of the heinous woke agenda to change how we view history.

yeah that’s definitely not my opinion. i’m generally not pressed about complete historical accuracy and went to see this flick specifically because i was looking forward to seeing black folks putting african stories on the screen (and the cast is stacked).

they just wanted to highlight badass women warriors and to do so they depicted slavers as liberators. that in particular is kinda tough for me to look past, especially as a descendent of the folks who were getting sold

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

martial arts recs: what are you looking for? pure martial arts or 'action' generally?

I was thinking both Hong Kong action flicks and films made by actors / directors when Hollywood came along and tried to incorporate that film making into its bulk. I've put together very short lists in terms of both: The Stunt Woman. Hardboiled and the Police Stories for the former, and some more Hollywood era John Woo for the latter (my god wtf was Mission Impossible II). I'll take your already provided reccs and add them to their respective lists, but if you've got any more specific recommendations I'd be happy to hear them.

I'd be happy with films from China generally as well tbh. I've seen Kung Fu Hustle and Crouching Tiger, but that's about it (though I recognise that both are hybrids).

I will have a look through that filmschoolrejects list as well though. I'm trying to make a concerted effort to broaden my tastes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

double negative posted:

they just wanted to highlight badass women warriors and to do so they depicted slavers as liberators. that in particular is kinda tough for me to look past, especially as a descendent of the folks who were getting sold

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efunroye_Tinubu

she's still somewhat seen as a great person in southwest Nigeria, pretty bizarre to stumble across her statue by accident

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just watched a 40 minute video about the evolution of Donnie Yens career and its relevant to this conversation, because even picking just one "star" is going to give you wildly different subgenres. For him, iron monkey & hero (one of my favorite movies ever) are the more fantasy oriented wu xia pieces, then you have stuff like flashpoint and SPL where he's integrated MMA with sick throws, and finally his ip man series which is historical and semi grounded.

Or take Scott Adkins, who stars in nothing but cheap direct to dvd greatness. His fighting and characters change some, but not that much, which results in about a dozen excellent movies that are going to deliver 90 minutes of fun (undisputed 2,3, debt collector 1&2, accident man 1&2, ninja 2, avengement, universal soldier day of reckoning, one shot, eliminators, savage dog).

But some people are gonna get bored with that while loving Tony jaas stuff instead, which is also really good (protector, ong bak, SPL 2) the list goes on!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Ernest scared stupid is on YouTube for free

Seems fun. I never watched Ernest before but I saw those VHS covers in the video store all the time. Eartha kitt is in it as a weird goblin woman

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Alhazred posted:

I'm sorry, but generally speaking, "<majority group> has been allowed to <do bad thing> for decades but now that <minority group> is doing the same it's very concerning :rolleyes:" is some lib poo poo that gets used to defend girlboss CIA leaders and I-bankers and Kamala Harris

That said, the alt-right has of course latched on to this movie and it's hosed-up that they're doing it because they have literally never said a negative thing about the institution of slavery or anyone involved in it until right this second. That hypocrisy can be called out without excusing THIS incident of apologism for slavers.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Like Mike and head of state are free with ads on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-t_000qIn0

Head of state
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqn-siclnLk

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I feel like mainstream representation movies made in the US are still in an era where they're aiming for something aspirational, which leaves them with few options when dealing with problematic history. You don't get an equivalent of The Northman, 300 or other Hollywood movies where it's clear the protagonists aren't good guys by our modern standards. Arguably you can't really do that, since anything like that would just foster interpretations that they're depicting these cultures as savages deserving of colonization (which is what some critics took out of Apocalypto).

I dunno. Maybe Hollywood needs to get that kind of movies out of its system first before other stories can be told.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Tubi has a ton of old kung fu movies btw. They aren't the famous ones, but they're all still great.

Amazon of all places has some Shaw Brothers classics you can stream for free if you have Prime. There's 36th Chamber of Shaolin and One Armed Boxer.

I'm also a big fan of 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, but you may need to pay for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG1GEiKWwW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoKUf1kMv_g

The final fight is still one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. I don't want to provide spoilers since I think you should watch it all, but maybe others in this thread will like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZLqC04uR6c

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thank you for justifying my hatred of subtitles with movie dork speak.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

the thing that made hereditary so good was the trailer rug pull. I imagine people who went into the movie completely blind were less impressed overall

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Eric Cantonese posted:

Amazon of all places has some Shaw Brothers classics you can stream for free if you have Prime. There's 36th Chamber of Shaolin and One Armed Boxer.

I'm also a big fan of 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, but you may need to pay for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG1GEiKWwW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoKUf1kMv_g

The final fight is still one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. I don't want to provide spoilers since I think you should watch it all, but maybe others in this thread will like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZLqC04uR6c

8 diagram pole fighter is a masterpiece. got to see it in theaters and was blown away.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like going to the theater, it can give folks a whole different feeling, but no movie releases use that to their advantage anymore on top of ever movie release being the safest garbage that can be produced. It’s like how any major play made today is a loving musical based on an IP because it’s safe

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Pop culture is dying. I'm dancing around it's burning corpse.

https://twitter.com/teamstevelacy/status/1582036863858376706

lyics video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oiG6WJyyfw

Meme Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7bfR6OtmDY
Probably true for all trends of tiktok: but, yeah, this is another "hot people looking hot" trend

Today, I just found out about this artist from this post. HAHA it' happens so often. That I don't know poo poo.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Oct 18, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I like going to the theater, it can give folks a whole different feeling, but no movie releases use that to their advantage anymore on top of ever movie release being the safest garbage that can be produced. It’s like how any major play made today is a loving musical based on an IP because it’s safe

hey fences was good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

am i old as poo poo, or are musicians demanding the audience know all the lyrics to your verses as a relatively new artist being ridiculous

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

man do you know any musicians

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

i say swears online posted:

am i old as poo poo, or are musicians demanding the audience know all the lyrics to your verses as a relatively new artist being ridiculous

When people sing along to a song in concert, there is a gradual decay, but this song hits a dead stop and then cheering.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Pop culture is dying. I'm dancing around it's burning corpse.

https://twitter.com/teamstevelacy/status/1582036863858376706

lyics video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oiG6WJyyfw

Meme Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7bfR6OtmDY
Probably true for all trends of tiktok: but, yeah, this is another "hot people looking hot" trend

Today, I just found out about this artist from this post. HAHA it' happens so often. That I don't know poo poo.

this song's been @ #1 for 3 weeks fyi (to you and all olds itt)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
frankly, steve lacy isn't a very zoomer musician name. it should be like Trunks Fxxx or Labia Majora's Mask

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

frankly, steve lacy isn't a very zoomer musician name. it should be like Trunks Fxxx or Labia Majora's Mask

Majoras Mask came out before zoomers were born

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Majoras Mask came out before zoomers were born

Thank you for fact checking my joke post, projectsnopes

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Thank you for fact checking my joke post, projectsnopes

three pinocchios

E: does snopes do pinocchios? Does whoever gives bernie three pinocchios have to pay disney every time?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

projecthalaxy posted:

three pinocchios

E: does snopes do pinocchios? Does whoever gives bernie three pinocchios have to pay disney every time?

Snopes just does True/False/Mixed/Urban Legend/Etc.

For the pinocchios you have to go to Glenn Kessler.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

I was thinking both Hong Kong action flicks and films made by actors / directors when Hollywood came along and tried to incorporate that film making into its bulk. I've put together very short lists in terms of both: The Stunt Woman. Hardboiled and the Police Stories for the former, and some more Hollywood era John Woo for the latter (my god wtf was Mission Impossible II). I'll take your already provided reccs and add them to their respective lists, but if you've got any more specific recommendations I'd be happy to hear them.

I'd be happy with films from China generally as well tbh. I've seen Kung Fu Hustle and Crouching Tiger, but that's about it (though I recognise that both are hybrids).

I will have a look through that filmschoolrejects list as well though. I'm trying to make a concerted effort to broaden my tastes.

jet li's films tend to be very fun (the legend, iron monkey, tai-chi master). i'd also look for tsui hark (zu warriors, the blade, time and tide, new dragon gate inn).

from china i'd recommend zhang yimou's wuxia trilogy (hero, curse of the golden flower, house of flying daggers).

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

if you're gonna catch Hard Boiled (one of my favorite movies ever) and latter John Woo films then i'd also throw The Killer in on that list, its a truly great film that also happens to be a wonderfully choreographed bloodbath

also if you want some so-bad-it's-good in this flavor i cannot stand behind China Heat (1992) strongly enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbf9VRu05Nc

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Robin Williams talking about Jar Jar with Lucas owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39HBTxQAMdQ

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

mastershakeman posted:

I think "director's commentary" is just shorthand for "all the people involved in making a movie's commentary", and intended not to boost auteur theory but to distinguish from shots centred on a character's perspective. so yeah, Chan-as-director has a different perspective to Chan-as-character

while the director's perspective (or whatever you call it) isn't objective compared to any other character's, we could perhaps describe it as relatively more neutral? more distant? less partial? less limited? more aware of what is occurring? compared to the alternatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Maya Fey posted:

amazing cinematography. even without the sound i can tell that this lady doesn't like the baby - my brain simply "gets" it.

lmao