Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Infinitum posted:

Just print MTG cards and put them in 5 sleeves so no-one can tell they're not real

Proxies rule. Everyone loves proxies now. Even Wizards! Just, uh, don't pay attention to the "price"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I have friends who really love playing Commander-style Magic, but the one time I played with them, they got a little salty that I specifically went after destroying their lands with control cards to stop them from getting their engines started.

So from what I've seen from memes and jokes I think that makes me a mono-Blue player at heart?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Blue Labrador posted:

I have friends who really love playing Commander-style Magic, but the one time I played with them, they got a little salty that I specifically went after destroying their lands with control cards to stop them from getting their engines started.

So from what I've seen from memes and jokes I think that makes me a mono-Blue player at heart?

Similar story, friend wanted me to get into magic when the "Shadow over Innistroud" packs were coming out. I got the green/black pack because the mix really appealed to me, beat my friend the first two times we played (beginners luck of course) and he didn't want to play aginst me anymore. I'm just thinking about playing one of the online ones.

I didn't have a lot to compare to but I liked that deck.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 18, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I only have like a passing knowledge of MTG. I was under the impression the setting was like medieval fantasy or like lord of the rings. But now there's like space stuff and aliens. Does that stuff still take place in the same setting? Is it the future or an alternative reality?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Macaluso posted:

So I only have like a passing knowledge of MTG. I was under the impression the setting was like medieval fantasy or like lord of the rings. But now there's like space stuff and aliens. Does that stuff still take place in the same setting? Is it the future or an alternative reality?

For many years the primary setting of the game was a "plane" called Dominaria that was at least superficially medieval fantasy (though not purely, they had mechs and stuff from the beginning). They have been loosening that in recent years with stuff that's like straight cyberpunk like Kamigawa.

The warhammer and Space Beleren stuff is all non-canon side products

Edit: this is from 1997, for reference

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 18, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ah, very cool!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Macaluso posted:

MTG has a history of making jokey "un-" sets aka grey-border sets which are not tournament legal nor canon.
Those two space cards are from the "unfninity" joke set.

It has a bunch of goofy cards third-wall-breaking cards, like the handy-dandy clone machine and chaos confetti here, which enable an insanely impractical and overcomplicated "combo" that, as written, lets you tear your opponent's hand (their physical meat hand not their hand of cards) into confetti.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 18, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I did the entire second chapter of TTYD in a single sitting

Game good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked TTYD but I think I enjoyed more of the chapters/dungeons/bosses from the n64 game more than TTYD. TTYD had some chapters that just felt like a slog or padded to hell and back.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i like the OG because its simple and cute, like me

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
PM64 has a better graphical style imo, it had more of a Yoshi's Island aesthetic while TTYD looks sharper but leaned into the paper theme a bit too much

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Some partners in TTYD have the same function as partners in PM64. Not every partner has a counterpart but there are enough to warrant asking this. Between PM64 and TTYD, which partner counterparts do you like more?

PM64 <---------> TTYD
Goombario <----> Goombella
Kooper <-------> Koops
Bombette <-----> Bobbery
Parakarry <----> Baby Yoshi
Bow <----------> Vivian

The rest don't have any counterparts so just from that list. My picks:

Kooper <-------> Koops
Bombette <-----> Bobbery
Bow <----------> Vivian

That last one is the toughest choice imo, both Bow and Vivian rule but I've gotta give the point to Bow.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Some partners in TTYD have the same function as partners in PM64. Not every partner has a counterpart but there are enough to warrant asking this. Between PM64 and TTYD, which partner counterparts do you like more?

PM64 <---------> TTYD
Kooper <-------> Koops
Bombette <-----> Bobbery
Bow <----------> Vivian

The rest don't have any counterparts so just from that list. My picks:

Kooper <-------> Koops
Bombette <-----> Bobbery
Bow <----------> Vivian

That last one is the toughest choice imo, both Bow and Vivian rule but I've gotta give the point to Bow.

PM64 <---------> TTYD
Kooper <-------> Koops
Bombette <-----> Bobbery
Bow <----------> Vivian

Iirc the TTYD crew gets way more wrt backstory/dialogue, so it’s kind of a clean sweep aside from Bow. And since it came up TYYD’s art style is better to me too, a lot of the sprites like Mario have different “segments” for the main body/arms/legs that make them feel more authentically like a paper diorama.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
pm64 is better than tyd

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvmmWeov68s

You still cannot just walk into a store and buy a Playstation 5 2 years after launch and yet they're flaunting a controller that costs a third of the price of the drat system

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I'm a Super Paper Mario apologist. While i won't say that it is better than 64 or TTYD overall, SPM still has my favorite story out of all of them.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

haha what posted:

im watching jerma play space channel 5 vr, and it is bringing much joy to my heart to see him love it so much

Space Channel 5 anything is a trip and a half

if only i wasn't complete garbage at rhythm games

Anyways, Paper Mario

PM64 <---------> TTYD
Kooper <-------> Koops
Bombette <-----> Bobbery
Bow <----------> Vivian

I played TTYD first, so my bias is real. Bow and Vivian are a really close match, but Viv wins for me because as a kid I thought the whole Doopliss thing was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. Kooper and Bombette are still pretty good, don't get me wrong.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I played more Mirror's Edge and I am digging the aesthetic of this game so much. The combination of brutalist architecture combined with eye-searing bright colours is such a great vibe. I'm also really into how the game has a bunch of variation in it so its not just parkouring over rooftops all the time (I've been through storm drains, offices, the subway, a shopping mall). In many ways it feels like the most realistic game I've played in a long long time, this story could exist in our world without changing a thing.

The combat is... well it's not great but when it works well it's amazing to just flow through a group of blues without even feeling like you're trying. It just only works well about 5% of the time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rarity posted:

In many ways it feels like the most realistic game I've played in a long long time, this story could exist in our world without changing a thing.

I don't think America will be training cops to do parkour and not shoot guns any time soon

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think America will be training cops to do parkour and not shoot guns any time soon

I think the devs themselves realized this stupid because even in the last level you just face regular swat dudes

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvmmWeov68s

You still cannot just walk into a store and buy a Playstation 5 2 years after launch and yet they're flaunting a controller that costs a third of the price of the drat system

These controllers seem cool, but I'm not smart or good enough at competitive games to use any of this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its $200 lmao

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
*all footage capture on PC

lmao just get a mouse and keyboard

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

its $200 lmao

ah, but think of the high quality, top tier gameplay precision you'll experience playing your PS5 only titles like [looking at palm] ratchet and clank: rift apart

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

ah, but think of the high quality, top tier gameplay precision you'll experience playing your PS5 only titles like [looking at palm] ratchet and clank: rift apart

Hey, there’s also $70 Demon’s Souls With Active Servers, can’t forget that!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
does it still have the same stick mechanisms that are as prone to drift as the joycons but they're soldered to the board so you can't actually fix them yourself?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the one hand, that's the same price range as the Xbox Elite Controllers so the price isn't raising my eyebrows compared to what it's competing with, assuming it offers comparable features.

On the other hand, lmao

(also the Xbox Elite Controllers have terrible quality control, don't make my mistake and get one and then your RB stops working at exactly the time the warranty expires, and also don't get Sony's version either)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

does it still have the same stick mechanisms that are as prone to drift as the joycons but they're soldered to the board so you can't actually fix them yourself?

good news theyre now encapsulated in replacable modules that are entirely proprietary instead

Harrow posted:

On the one hand, that's the same price range as the Xbox Elite Controllers so the price isn't raising my eyebrows compared to what it's competing with, assuming it offers comparable features.

On the other hand, lmao

(also the Xbox Elite Controllers have terrible quality control, don't make my mistake and get one and then your RB stops working at exactly the time the warranty expires, and also don't get Sony's version either)

the base level elite controller is $130. the expensive model w all the stuff is still $20 cheaper lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rip in peace my old 360 controller, still the goat

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I just want a PS5 version of that one PS4 accessory to give some cheap backpaddles, is that too much to ask

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
200$ and doesn't even come with a vmu I can keep my chao in

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hatty posted:

surprisingly...no? :eyepop:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
you can buy an entire additional video game with microsoft's efforts, shame about them using the wrong stick spot though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

you can buy an entire additional video game with microsoft's efforts, shame about them using the wrong stick spot though

Glad I saved my money so I can buy a PS5 game. Wait a second..... what da.....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It's superior, I'm afraid

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RBA Starblade posted:

It's superior, I'm afraid

those superior people who were born with a left arm 2 inches higher than the right

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

what are the odds that new dualshock is going to be hosed by component shortages in the next quarter

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

dervival posted:

what are the odds that new dualshock is going to be hosed by component shortages in the next quarter

100%

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

sony controllers have been on a downwards trend since they added thumb-sticks to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No thanks, I already have a Steam Controller.