Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DualSense haptics are very loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

£210 is steep but i have to admit it looks great

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

£210 is steep but i have to admit it looks great

Still wish I could've tried one of these out

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sony are cowards for canceling the boomerang controller

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

DualSense haptics are very loving cool

the only PC title that I've played that had support was death stranding and i found them really unpleasant

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

Don't worry, it'll come back eventually

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Harrow posted:

Still wish I could've tried one of these out

the closest you'll prolly get is this alps controller from the psx days

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

RBA Starblade posted:

Don't worry, it'll come back eventually

:bravo:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mutata posted:

No thanks, I already have a Steam Controller.

i thought controller typing with the compass rose was a neat idea, haven't used it myself though

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
"seeing an N64 controller at the mall" is like a universal 90s kid memory, right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best controller keyboard input was in Beyond Good and Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euquOpUmUyk

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the only PS5 games I’ve played that gained from the haptics were Astro and Returnal, in everything else they were either superfluous or obnoxious

I like the controller’s ergonomics but christ it’s fragile for something so heavy. busted sticks, broken springs, malfunctioning rumble (though that last one might actually be a ps4 software issue somehow?)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Here's your controller bro

I had this one and it was surprisingly good back in the day

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's a ridge racer type 4 speedrunner who uses that left controller and it looks p satisfying

https://twitch.tv/videos/1481869668

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't condone choking your couch co-op buddy with a controller but the boomerang controller would be really good at choking your couch co-op buddy if the need arises (like if they used up a health kit you really needed)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i thought controller typing with the compass rose was a neat idea, haven't used it myself though

I actually like the Steam Controller decent enough. There's nothing like it and some of folks' most common complaints don't bother me too much because I would never play anything like a shooter with it. It's really chill for certain types of slower games.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a ridge racer type 4 speedrunner who uses that left controller and it looks p satisfying

https://twitch.tv/videos/1481869668

lol, this owns

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Jay Rust posted:

I don't condone choking your couch co-op buddy with a controller but the boomerang controller would be really good at choking your couch co-op buddy if the need arises (like if they used up a health kit you really needed)

some co-op buddies of mine who shall remain nameless took a pizza i wanted in the ninja turtles game and for this should be in the hague

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1582423473900916736?t=jCmj9wAaKk2AItq5FDNeWQ&s=19

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The Steam Controller is honestly really good at what it does. Shame about the build quality, learning curve for use, learning curve for setup, and the fact that you literally cannot buy one.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Features
The chainsaw peripheral both come packed in stylized boxes. The box looks exactly like a set of three-paned, double windows from one of the dark and dreary cabins so commonplace in the villages of Capcom title. Clearly viewable through the windows is the chainsaw controller, which actually protrudes from one side of the box, revealing a saw blade splotched in fake red blood. The backside of the package shows a gruesome drawing of the Chainsaw Man cutting off Kennedy's head. However, the device's plastic blade serves no control purpose which does not move though it resembles its in-game counterpart.

Controller
Based on extensive play tests, Nuby Tech's claims that its chainsaw controller actually improves the Resident Evil 4 experiences are false. The device features all of the standard sticks and buttons of a regular GameCube controller, but lacks of an intuitive configuration.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

...I'm never playing with you again

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jay Rust posted:

I assume this is why the Wii was so popular, came with a garrote in the box

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hell yeah, finally a new Sims game. I hope this has a lot of multiplayer options. That is the one thing I wanted from Sims 4, was to be able to meet and chat with other players.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

next-gen Sims seems like the right genre with the right amount of cultural cache that you could sneak metaverse/NFT stuff into

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Does anyone know of any decent video games where the primary gameplay element is "novel research" or "discovering the rules of the world" with bonus points for "figuring out how to use them"?

It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but a very basic example would be, like... Zendo. Yeah, Zendo is a good example, I think. For those unaware, it's a very basic inductive reasoning game played between two or more players. You usually have pieces split into 3 shapes, each of which can come in 3 different colors, and 1 uknown "rule" that governs whether any arrangement (called a "koan") is "white" (follows the rule) or "black" (does not follow the rule). The rule can be almost anything, but by default they are quite simple, like "Contains exactly 3 red pieces". The goal of the game is to figure out the unknown rule by building koans.

So that's an example of what I mean. You have a small world with things you can interact with (shapes) and some world properties and the goal of the game is to experiment until you can figure out what those properties.

I have played a few video games that are sort of like this - for all the hate that it seems to get, I will always love the Witness because its one of the few games where this is a central component. BABA IS YOU is another example. Both of these games are very interested in making sure that you figure out all the rules really quickly though, and go out of their way to make doing so as easy as possible. They "teach you". Both of them are also largely dominated by very narrowly scoped puzzles that isolate you from the larger world (although both of them have interesting moments where you break out of those limits as well, BABA especially).

While puzzle games are fun and I'd love recommendations for more similar puzzle games (those are the only two I know of where this is a major mechanic), I'd especially love a recommendation for a game that is not a puzzle game, maybe something more open-worldy and sandboxy, where they give you the pieces and then step back to let you figure it out on your own.

It's quite possible that sort of game doesn't exist, I'm sure it would be niche of niche, but maybe it does and I've just never heard of it (or I have and didn't realize it had that sort of thing in it) so I figured I'd ask!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
closest thing that jumps to mind (and season appropriate) is Knock Knock

you have to make it to the end of each day but you’re given little indication of what you’re doing or the consequences of getting it wrong, and the first half is pretty low-stakes as you figure it out. then the second half kicks in and, well, if you’re familiar at all with Icepick Lodge then you shouldn’t be too surprised by what happens

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Tunic is maybe like that if you stretch the definition a little. Your character has abilities you simply don't know about - you can even do them accidentally before you discover them. The whole world is kind of made up of systems that you gradually work out how they work. Although sometimes those mechanics are deliberately given to you as rewards - you are assembling the game manual as you play.

Combat is kind of bad though. It does have a 'you can't die' mode you can turn on.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

GlyphGryph posted:

Does anyone know of any decent video games where the primary gameplay element is "novel research" or "discovering the rules of the world" with bonus points for "figuring out how to use them"?

I played Stacklands recently, and I think it kinda fits into what you're looking for. It's this village builder card game. At the start of a run, you are given a villager card and a booster pack of resources, like wood, stone and berries. You get your villager to interact with these cards and build tools or grow food or construct buildings. Meanwhile, you have to maintain a constant food supply so your villagers don't starve. Initially what you can build is limited, but you can learn different ideas to make things more efficient. There is an end goal to the game, but you aren't told what it is from the beginning; you have to discover it as you play the game. While there are idea cards you can earn that give you crafting recipes, there's nothing from stopping you from experimenting with different card combinations and getting useful cards early. The game does give you recommended tasks that you don't have to complete, but are meant to logically teach you things in an order.

Kinda reminds me of a simpler Cultist Simulator with an emphasis on resource management, but I never got far into that game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1582429607042564097

Can't the Switch just do this on a software level without 200 dollar controllers

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

Can't the Switch just do this on a software level without 200 dollar controllers

yes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My goal in life is to deactivate everyone's Fire Gun button...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wish I could deactivate your post button!!!!!!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waffleman_ posted:

In addition, unlike the ps5 it can play games

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mirror's Edge:

WHY CELESTE WHY??? :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought the Playstation could do that on the system level, or at least you could on PS4.

Did they remove it from PS5 so they could sell it back to you with a new controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

I thought the Playstation could do that on the system level, or at least you could on PS4.

Did they remove it from PS5 so they could sell it back to you with a new controller?

Yeah they spent time on money on it instead of making videos games