Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

ZeusCannon posted:

I made a down payment on no fun when i played the early french tanks. This is an investment.

yeah but once you get to the french lights :discourse:

très beau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Batchat will always have a special place in my heart. Love that thing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Good lord the grind on the ARL 44 is BRUTAL..

Large Testicles posted:

yeah but once you get to the french lights :discourse:

très beau

I think French lights might be my favourite line in the entire game. I just enjoy playing them.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I hate the French LT line (and LT lines in general) because every time I go out scouting I end up being teamed with a bunch of useless dribbling fuckwits who are all too busy trying to camp the loving base closer to the redline than everyone else.

The "leave battle" option isn't enough. Sometimes you wish you could defect and just batter the absolute poo poo out of the morons the matchmaker's stuck you with.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

French lights used to be so much better, but they are still pretty fun.

You used to be able to carry with lights, but the light nerf made it so you're much more dependent on your team and the map now.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

McGavin posted:

French lights used to be so much better, but they are still pretty fun.

You used to be able to carry with lights, but the light nerf made it so you're much more dependent on your team and the map now.

This. When they changed the 13 90 it got significantly worse.

I think the best way to think about the French light tanks is that they are built for murder, not scouting.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I played through the 13-90 three times. Twice before the light changes and once after the light changes. Talk about an awkward history with that line and the tech tree.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

This. When they changed the 13 90 it got significantly worse.

I think the best way to think about the French light tanks is that they are built for murder, not scouting.

That's why I love 'em. You CAN spot, for those rare occasions where your team has more than two braincells between them. And for the rest of the time, you can just unload on motherfuckers.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Doesn't the arl get the 105mm fun gun? Assuming console has the same high credits for gold shells that 105mm gun with gold is amazing. That gun also works well on the tier 7 heavy as well.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Doesn't the arl get the 105mm fun gun? Assuming console has the same high credits for gold shells that 105mm gun with gold is amazing. That gun also works well on the tier 7 heavy as well.

It does.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Mesadoram posted:

I think this is the correct way to play any LT that's not an EBR or Manticore.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Youre not allowed to have fun in this game. Sorry i dont make the rules.

I have fun when I'm unlocking new tanks or when I do something stupid like jumping off the cliffs onto another tank. The problem I have, a lot of wot players have, is obsessing over wins. Recently I've stopped caring about winning, it takes thousands of battles to change my overall win rate at this point. It's the best thing to happen for my enjoyment of the game. I can play my tank and if i get my goal of more than my average damage in most matches that's a win for me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The only thing that frustrates me is when I'm saddled with team after team of loving 45%ers, where I'm the only player with better than yellow stats, and the team chance to win is in the mid-30% range because the enemy team is all green or better.

Skill-based matchmaking absolutely would improve the player experience. To be clear, I'm not talking about having only good players play each other, I'm talking about having the same number of good players on each team. Hell, even just having the light tank players on each team being equally skilled would be a huge improvement. So many games have been lost because the enemy team gets a competent scout, while my team gets a scout with the IQ of a jar of mayonnaise.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Nah even matches just turn to camp fests, with the good players inevitably surviving in their Skorps, Shptks and Su130s not moving a finger for 10+ min straight.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

sauer kraut posted:

Nah even matches just turn to camp fests, with the good players inevitably surviving in their Skorps, Shptks and Su130s not moving a finger for 10+ min straight.

I feel like WoT must have tried a battle royale in my absence - and almost certainly failed at it - it seems like a mechanic like that (which shrinks the map over time pushing people out of their camping spots) could force engagement as the game winds down.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The only matches that turn into camp fests are ones with all good players, who know whoever gets lit is dead, or ones with all terrible players, who are too timid to try moving because they might see an enemy tank and get shot.

Games with one or two good players on each team are fun because there's plenty of idiots to farm and the good players can make a huge difference depending on what they do.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CompeAnansi posted:

I feel like WoT must have tried a battle royale in my absence - and almost certainly failed at it - it seems like a mechanic like that (which shrinks the map over time pushing people out of their camping spots) could force engagement as the game winds down.

They had this as a special game mode, past couple years, it is generally actually kind of fun for a few matches.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I miss Historical Mode, honestly.

There was a fair amount of promise there, and now that they've enabled more than 15 per team, you could realistically have 30 Shermans vs. 10 Tigers/Panthers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 18, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I miss Port and Dragon Ridge, when the T30 was a heavy tank and when you could all talk.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

2Jets posted:

I have fun when I'm unlocking new tanks or when I do something stupid like jumping off the cliffs onto another tank. The problem I have, a lot of wot players have, is obsessing over wins. Recently I've stopped caring about winning, it takes thousands of battles to change my overall win rate at this point. It's the best thing to happen for my enjoyment of the game. I can play my tank and if i get my goal of more than my average damage in most matches that's a win for me.

I still have this exact same mindset. And not to knock on anyone here; it does get draining to a lot of goons to lose back to back. I get it.

I would like to get back into this game but I am playing other things I am pretty passionate about. Maybe later this year I can join back up and have some fun. Still need to grind out the tier 9 and 10 Yoh tanks.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I miss being able to team kill

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I miss Historical Mode, honestly.

There was a fair amount of promise there, and now that they've enabled more than 15 per team, you could realistically have 30 Shermans vs. 10 Tigers/Panthers.

:same:

But "it was difficult to balance" (i.e. KV-1S players got shat on and/or gave up once they realised that the ludicrous 122mm D-25 gun wasn't an option) and that was enough reason for WG to call the whole thing off completely rather than attempt to address the issues and perhaps introduce mode-specific versions of relevant tanks with some tweaked stats, instead of attempting to use pre-set loadouts and modules on & from the standard tech-tree models.

BadLlama posted:

I miss being able to team kill

:same:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Just lol that the French T7 heavy has the exact same guns as the T6 one.

The ARL's stock grind loving sucked but now that I have everything unlocked this is a pretty nifty tank.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Just lol that the French T7 heavy has the exact same guns as the T6 one.

The ARL's stock grind loving sucked but now that I have everything unlocked this is a pretty nifty tank.

The AMX M4 45 opened a whole new world of disappointment for me, and then a few years later it happened again and got worse when I obtained the AMX 65t.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The problem with skill based matchmaking is that the red team will have 54%ers who got their win rate in tier 10 tanks while you will be saddled with the 54%ers who can only get that w/r by seal clubbing at tier 1 and 2.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The problem with skill based matchmaking is that the red team will have 54%ers who got their win rate in tier 10 tanks while you will be saddled with the 54%ers who can only get that w/r by seal clubbing at tier 1 and 2.

Use the win rate for the tier of the tank that they are queued up in.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Winrate is such a weird thing in this game. Past few years my average damage per game and xp per game has been steadily going up while my win rate has been steadily going down.

I don't know anymore...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Sorry for the double post, but is the Halloween event any fun? I didn't have a chance to try it yesterday.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Mesadoram posted:

Sorry for the double post, but is the Halloween event any fun? I didn't have a chance to try it yesterday.

It's kind of fun and the maps are nice, but no real point in playing it except for the bonds and crew member reward. It has some bugs. It's a silver sink. There's no point in winning, just make sure you finish top 7 so you can complete missions. DPM is king, sling gold (it's free) and keep the gun firing.

Edit: I'll add that the 10 minute limitation is good.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 20, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The stock grind for the ARL 44 was rough, but once I got some modules in and the hang of the thing, it turned out to be amazing.

The entire thing researched with full modules and the T7 unlocked in 22 games. I think I might hang on to this thing for future battle passes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The ARL slinging 105mm gold in T6 is an amazing thing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The stock grind for the ARL 44 was rough, but once I got some modules in and the hang of the thing, it turned out to be amazing.

The entire thing researched with full modules and the T7 unlocked in 22 games. I think I might hang on to this thing for future battle passes.

Nice!

Minus the 65t, I really liked that tree.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

The E 25 is God Mode if you ever pick up a Pumpkin Gift. Imagine lighting the enemy on fire or knocking out their gun and tracks every two seconds.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...
wte100 - think it will be back in game for Christmas loot boxes?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BadLlama posted:

The ARL slinging 105mm gold in T6 is an amazing thing.

I'm not even using the 105mm gold gun, I've been rocking the best 90mm. But yeah, if I keep it as a fun tank I'll probably try the 105.

Mesadoram posted:

Minus the 65t, I really liked that tree.

This is the first French heavy I played, because it turned out that I had assembled 100% of the blueprints for the T4 and T5 heavies over the years. Kind of a bummer since I bought the Warhammer 40K skin for the BDR a few years ago with the idea that I could use it when I played through the French heavy tree. RIP.

E: also lol, going from the T7 to the T8 the expectation values for marks of excellence drop severely. I guess your hatred of the 65t isn't unfounded :v:

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 21, 2022

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Grinds aren't what they used to be :unsmith:
I was dreading playing a stock Tortoise after finally skipping the AT-15 with a full set of blueprints.
Turns out and hour and a half later I got the 120mm and engine done. Thanks 5x xp missions I got from wherever ages ago.

Firepower is even better than I expected, effective armor far worse. The commander dies more than a KV-5 radioman.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Kind of a bummer since I bought the Warhammer 40K skin for the BDR a few years ago with the idea that I could use it when I played through the French heavy tree. RIP.

The BDR is well worth getting , so you can still put that 40K skin to good use and not feel like a fool in the process! :buddy:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The BDR is well worth getting , so you can still put that 40K skin to good use and not feel like a fool in the process! :buddy:

Is T5 even valid for battle pass stuff or anything?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Is T5 even valid for battle pass stuff or anything?

No, not Battle Pass, but sometimes you just have to stop giving a gently caress about that and have some fun. Daily Missions and all that jazz are still a thing for Tier V.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's a bonus XP weekend. I could tell even without looking at the website by the fact that the EU server has become a turbo sewer. Jesus loving christ these teams are DIABOLICAL.

E: 46% WR KV-2 sniping on the sniper hill in Mountain Pass. Finishes the game with 0 damage, 120 XP. Dude's been playing since 2014 and this is the best he can do.

Full T6 game too so it's not like he had to hide from T8 premiums.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

-opens WG launcher-

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's a bonus XP weekend. I could tell even without looking at the website by the fact that the EU server has become a turbo sewer. Jesus loving christ these teams are DIABOLICAL.

-closes WG launcher-