Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

No wonder Hinkie and him got along so well.

I liked KOC for draft stuff because he didn't underrate Euro prospects to the degree people sometimes did (in that era you had analysts asking "but can Luka do that against Villanova" and him being left completely off of top 10 draft boards), but yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It is no longer the offseason. The regular season is upon us.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://twitter.com/NBACobwebs/status/1582196308118425602

inflation has slightly more than doubled the value of the dollar since then, so Hot Rod was making about 10 million in today's dollars.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

How did Hot Rod Williams land the biggest deal in the league?!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

reporting in that I am both jacked and juiced for tonight, tomorrow, and every night of En Bee Aye basketball for the foreseeable future.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I know the league loves LA, but if they are revising nationally televised games they really should have pulled the Lakers and given this game to the Grizzlies.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Or the clippers!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

i'm not sure. he was coming off a season where he had 17 ppg and 8 rpg coming off the bench, but none of his other numbers suggest anything special.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

He had a very cool nickname, gotta pay out for that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Aye Doc posted:

Kevin O'connor posted one of the worst articles I have ever read, about Daryl Morey

whole rear end article about worshipping a rich dude for being a dickhead

lord please give me Hoop

God drat Daryl Morey loving sucks

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

he had two cool nicknames

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

I know the league loves LA, but if they are revising nationally televised games they really should have pulled the Lakers and given this game to the Grizzlies.

i don't want to watch two east coast teams. denied.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lmao Bill Simmons paid his staff to write a puff piece about his friend.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lmao Bill Simmons paid his staff to write a puff piece about his friend.

Dude is a Musk jocksniffer, doubt he needed the push

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1526434712704761856

morestuff fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 18, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Blazers will be alright I think but yeah that's also an easy docket. I think that works for them since they need to knock off rust. I'm expecting the Wolves to maybe have games where nothing is working early on. Would be nice if those inevitable Ls come from good teams and not the Spurs.

Otoh a loss to the spurs doesn’t give a win to a team you’ll be competing with for playoff seeding. A loss to, say, the Mavs is more painful in that narrow sense.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I am already nervous about the game tonight. Ahhhhh

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

dokmo posted:

https://twitter.com/NBACobwebs/status/1582196308118425602

inflation has slightly more than doubled the value of the dollar since then, so Hot Rod was making about 10 million in today's dollars.

inflation has halved the value of the dollar

it takes $1 to buy what 50 cents used to get you etc

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Adjusted for inflation, he’s Used 1998 Corolla Williams

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

Adjusted for inflation, he’s Used 1998 Corolla Williams

Those still might as well be a million bucks

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I enjoy the Giannis and Kyrie book titles. And Embiid sitting mad as gently caress between Jokic with MVP trophies and Steph with the Finals trophy.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Kibner posted:

I enjoy the Giannis and Kyrie book titles. And Embiid sitting mad as gently caress between Jokic with MVP trophies and Steph with the Finals trophy.

Oh my god I didn’t see Russ at first. There’s so many good details

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't necessarily agree with the second paragraph of this tweet, but good grief did the Jazz have awful defensive bigs the last few seasons:

https://twitter.com/JWReamer/status/1582403891706351616?s=20&t=GdJvkZxgSSWz46nLs7AvwQ

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Gorbert

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Kibner posted:

Lmao at Kawhi

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I am already nervous about the game tonight. Ahhhhh

Here are the standings last year after the first ~20 or so games. Don't sweat the early season too much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

a new study bible! posted:

One of the most pandering posts ever made.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

morestuff posted:

Yeah KOC is one of those guys that 100% believes in all the myths rich people build around themselves to justify being dicks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

I don't necessarily agree with the second paragraph of this tweet, but good grief did the Jazz have awful defensive bigs the last few seasons:

https://twitter.com/JWReamer/status/1582403891706351616?s=20&t=GdJvkZxgSSWz46nLs7AvwQ

I mean, yeah the rest of his defense in MN is way better. KAT was still anchoring an above average defense last year, I am certain Utah wouldn't be that with Gobert swapped out for Vanderbilt. The wing defenders are much better too.

I think stuff can still go wrong, don't mistake me. And we don't have nearly the shooters Utah did so the offense will need to work within some spacing constraints. But this team has more talent than any of those Utah teams did, at least since maybe that 16-17 year.

I also don't think the Wolves are a real contender yet unless some guys take some huge steps, but they have some real talent now.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

morestuff posted:

Is this guy’s brain the Grammy winning 1999 song by Rob Thomas ft. Santana?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Fast Luck posted:

In the 90s all the good centers were locked up to long term deals, and you still needed a center, so every other year the most promisingavailable big man free agent would end up getting a deal that made him the highest paid player in the league even if he was kind of a stiff. Then they would flame out.

This kept repeating until they changed the structure of contacts after the lockout although we have had glimpses like the Mahimi/Biyambo/Mosgov summer.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

morestuff posted:

Wait, does he mean Tesla? People still think Tesla is doing any of those things?!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

my only NBA dedicated podcast is the Lowe Post - if I'm going to add one more for the season, what should it be?

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Kibner posted:

Durant with two phones

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wait, does he mean Tesla? People still think Tesla is doing any of those things?!

Space-X is cool, but Elon is basically kept away from running any of the cool stuff

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rick posted:

In the 90s all the good centers were locked up to long term deals, and you still needed a center, so every other year the most promisingavailable big man free agent would end up getting a deal that made him the highest paid player in the league even if he was kind of a stiff. Then they would flame out.

This kept repeating until they changed the structure of contacts after the lockout although we have had glimpses like the Mahimi/Biyambo/Mosgov summer.

It's also worth pointing out that this wasn't the Cavs offering Hot Rod a crazy deal. The Heat offered the same deal to Williams and the Cavs matched it, and it was a very front-loaded contract unlike how big deals work today. Then he and basically all the Cavs got bad injuries and welp.

Still nuts because free agency, especially free agency when nobody really knows how it works.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 18, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

my only NBA dedicated podcast is the Lowe Post - if I'm going to add one more for the season, what should it be?

At this point I'd try to find one of the 100 athletic sampler feed and see if you like any of those and go from there.

Open Floor is often bad now that there is no Michael Pina but sometimes they find magic in whatever random pairing SI found.

Nate Duncan has a hilarious paywall. If you like super nerdy cap stuff and pasty reporters personally insulting players for not playing basketball the way they like try this one.

Greatest of All Talk now is pretty bad now, don't waste your money. Ben is in full pasty reporter personally insulting players for not playing basketball the way he likes mode but like next level in that he says things that i'm pretty sure would get him punched in the face if he said them directly to the player, plus he's not even knowledgeable like Duncan is at least, just constant screams about +/- and his cohost doesn't even watch basketball anymore.

It's a dire time.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Rick posted:

One of the most pandering posts ever made.

Thank you for the valuable feedback 🙏

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also gently caress the LLLLLLakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rick posted:

Nate Duncan has a hilarious paywall

I enjoyed Duncan for a few years till the paywall went up and aside from the free agent LARP episodes I don't miss it.

I've been hoping for something as good as Effectively Wild for baseball or Around the NFL for football.