Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1582403379409473536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Some Numbers posted:

Come to Seattle! We made it to the playoffs!

good god would he be a huge upgrade to our pitching staff and lineup

Maybe in 2024. I have a hard time seeing the Angels trading him within the division, especially since I've read the Mariners emptied the farm for Castillo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
In that article also expresses interest in playing for Japan in the WBC, so congratulations to Japan on winning the WBC.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

If Judge walks I wonder if Cashman will try to do this or will he continue to prospect hug.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For the love of god please let a contender (not based in LA or NY) grab Ohtani before he wastes his entire career in Anaheim.

Is Anaheim anywhere close to contending? I have no idea if their winning streak earlier this year was legit or just luck/schedule.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Red posted:

Is Anaheim anywhere close to contending? I have no idea if their winning streak earlier this year was legit or just luck/schedule.

They aren't close at all.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

If Judge walks I wonder if Cashman will try to do this or will he continue to prospect hug.

Would be a big upgrade for the Yankees to pick up a x2 MVP.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Popete posted:

wouldn't that mean that Stanton has to play the field?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

He's not wining it this year. Thankfully the writers aren't as anti yankee biased as SAS is.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

come to Boston, Shohei

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

come to Boston, Shohei

Could see this. IDK why he would ever want to live in Boston though.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Man I wonder why nobody around here can stand the Yankees

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

They aren't close at all.

Really? Between Trout and Ohtani, a few average starters should be enough to get them close to a wild card. Ward and Fletcher are good, too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gerblederp posted:

Man I wonder why nobody around here can stand the Yankees

ANTI-YANKEE BIAS!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Didn’t Shohei say he wants to stay on the west coast so Japanese people can watch his games easier?

Anyway he would look awesome in a Cards jersey let’s goooooooo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Red posted:

Really? Between Trout and Ohtani, a few average starters should be enough to get them close to a wild card. Ward and Fletcher are good, too.

"They just need a couple of starters" has been the book on the Angels for a decade

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Red posted:

- Post from every year since 2018.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ANTI-YANKEE BIAS!!!

It's the only reason 60% of the people on here think the guy with 2 less WAR should win the MVP over a guy who had the best season since Bonds.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Angels mid season farm system ranking was also #30 so it's not like they have a lot of talent in the pipe works. Rumor is Moreno may try to sell the team and if that's the case they aren't gonna be doing anything until that happens.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

It's the only reason 60% of the people on here think the guy with 2 less WAR should win the MVP over a guy who had the best season since Bonds.

1 less bWAR but I also don't think WAR accurately captures what Ohtani is doing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

The Angels mid season farm system ranking was also #30 so it's not like they have a lot of talent in the pipe works. Rumor is Moreno may try to sell the team and if that's the case they aren't gonna be doing anything until that happens.
It’s not a rumor, the team has confirmed it

It’s probably why Phil Nevin was extended for a year

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're an Angels fan that is great news but it also means another wasted year for the two best players in MLB.

Rob Manfred I'm calling on you as Commissioner of Major League Baseball to step in and remedy this injustice. Move Ohtani and Trout to a different team, preferably one located in the middle of the country so fans in any time zone can watch them, that already has a large fan base and sufficient income to pay their hefty salaries. The Chicago Cubs will accept both players for the good of all baseball.

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 18, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
lmao Ohtani from the jump said no to the Yankees but G*d bless special Yankees fans who cant comprehend someone wouldn't want to play there for their rational and not insane insufferable fans

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Hmmm clearly the player with the most truly historic season ever being considered for MVP is an indicator of anti Yankees bias and not them being rational, it's hating dingers in pinstripes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

lmao Ohtani from the jump said no to the Yankees but G*d bless special Yankees fans who cant comprehend someone wouldn't want to play there for their rational and not insane insufferable fans

I don't think that because he didn't want to go to the Yankees originally he wouldn't possibly come here at a later date. It's all conjecture at this point though.

maffew buildings posted:

Hmmm clearly the player with the most truly historic season ever being considered for MVP is an indicator of anti Yankees bias and not them being rational, it's hating dingers in pinstripes

The "most historic season ever" is 2 wins less valuable than what Judge did. So it's not the most historic season ever.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Red posted:

the starters were fine this year, it was mostly the offensive production falling off a cliff coupled with above average bullpen meltdowns that tanked the season.

they were keeping pace with the Yankees for the first third and the last third of the year but that middle part when they went like 10-40 was historically bad and it wasn't because of the starting pitching, imo

rendon missed most of the year again, trout missed time on top of playing hurt for like a month, walsh struggled all year just to find out he had TOS, fletcher missed a lot of time as well

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For the record I do think Judge will win the MVP but it's the wrong choice, the BBWAA isn't exactly a ringing endorsement though.

Judge breaking a pseudo record will be enough to convince them.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Didn’t Shohei say he wants to stay on the west coast so Japanese people can watch his games easier?

Anyway he would look awesome in a DBacks jersey let’s goooooooo

Wow I totally agree with this!

He'd get the same experience of not threatening contention, but it's cheaper to live there and the team is less cursed more inept.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

Maybe in 2024. I have a hard time seeing the Angels trading him within the division, especially since I've read the Mariners emptied the farm for Castillo

It's a lot weaker than it was but that's primarily because of graduations, not the trade for Castillo.

I could see the Mariners putting something together for a year of Ohtani @ $30 million but I don't see Arte admitting defeat and trading him.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I don't think that because he didn't want to go to the Yankees originally he wouldn't possibly come here at a later date. It's all conjecture at this point though.

The "most historic season ever" is 2 wins less valuable than what Judge did. So it's not the most historic season ever.

When the Yankees aren't on the screen everyone should be asking "where's the Yankees?"

Can't believe Ohtani is worth 2 less wins on a scale that can't actually quantify what he does why can't i measure temperature in pounds help please

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ohtani rakes in a ton of cash, I doubt the Angels trade him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

When the Yankees aren't on the screen everyone should be asking "where's the Yankees?"

Can't believe Ohtani is worth 2 less wins on a scale that can't actually quantify what he does why can't i measure temperature in pounds help please

You just don't want to use WAR because of "reasons" (it doesn't back up your opinion.) We already talked about the 27th roster spot being next to worthless.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
oh my god mcmagic shut the gently caress up

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

If you're an Angels fan that is great news but it also means another wasted year for the two best players in MLB.

Rob Manfred I'm calling on you as Commissioner of Major League Baseball to step in and remedy this injustice. Move Ohtani and Trout to a different team, preferably one located in the middle of the country so fans in any time zone can watch them, that already has a large fan base and sufficient income to pay their hefty salaries. The Chicago Cubs will accept both players for the good of all baseball.

Rockies need to just create a superteam, obliterate every team hitting record ever, and show everyone the true benefit of playing half your games in Denver. Ohtani, Trout, Judge, everyone. Be the greatest show on earth for a couple years completely break baseball.

Instead, they just bank on being the only game in town for hundreds and hundreds of miles and having rad unis.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Silly thought "experiment" that's been rattling around my noggin

If each division made a team using All Star rules of at least one representative from each team, which division would field the best squad?

I know Mets and Braves had a lackluster postseason showing, but I think the NL East would be pretty solid, though guys like Albies and Chisolm being injured hurts things a bit.

But Alcantara, deGrom, Scherzer, Wright, Strider (also assuming fully healthy), Fried is a p solid rotation, plus Diaz and Iglesias in the pen.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Sorry guys I forget McMagic is actually an AI posting based on being very online with Yankees Twitter

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Well uh, this doesn't bode well for the guy:

https://twitter.com/MarinersSUR/status/1582397824209416192?s=19

Absolutely makes sense given he lost all his strength and was a horrid defender.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
are we all glad jesse winker got hit in the butt yet

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Arte on the way out and Nevin sticking around sure makes it look like the Angels are punting on 2023. Ohtani highlights aside I am very much checked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
What would an Ohtani trade package look like? I feel like the Jays have at least the start of one in something like Moreno/Tiedemann/Gurriel but it's been a long time since I've paid such close attention to either the Jays' farm system or prospect trade values more generally.