Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

(Don’t tell me it’s only been 4 games!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
not looking forward to kakko vs hughes being reignited

although tbh Jack has been good, just hasn't finished

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

T-Bone posted:

apparently Eric is still on a PTO for them too and they're going to try and sign him at some point?

:stare:

Christ you're right... * checks capfriendly * ... I'm no cap expert but I don't think they can sign him for $58K.... $10/hr.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Dirty Burger posted:

It’s hilarious to me that Florida went all-in this year, don’t have a first rounder for like 4 years and their second pairing has Marc loving Staal on it

https://twitter.com/peteblackburn/status/1582178782164549633?s=46&t=YtsrpyrSyqHoglJF7vnJSQ

I thought Staal retired years ago :psyduck:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No he just went to Detroit, that's why you haven't seen him on TV the last 2 years.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I like the avs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

I swear Kakko setup a scoring chance every time he touched the puck in the offensive zone last night. Just slinging passes right and left.

Hughes will always get more points at this time though since he plays on the first power play I assume. But honestly whatever, I just want Kakko to do well and less concerned about comparing them.

Ginette Reno posted:

Staal had a skill set?

Once upon a time (if you also remember the kind of league it was when he was drafted) he was a quite good defensive defenseman. He was the kind of player that could shut things down in the neutral zone/zone entries, and he was great at making small plays in his own zone with the puck to facilitate a breakout or reverse the flow of things...never was going to be a great offensive player but some of his defensive strengths were the stuff we still look for these days.
But the bad concussion he got and then the eye injury really took away a lot of his game and he ended up more of the "block shots and don't get too wildly out of position in your own end even though you can't break the puck out" type defensive defenseman

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think for Staal and other guys like him the pace of the game and the style teams play also changed quite a bit during his career, for sure he got less effective over time but in a league where guys are faster and D are expected to jump up more often guys with slower footspeed just got phased out. A lot of defensive defenders from that era went from effective to replacement in a few years even during their prime.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Koopa Kid posted:

I think for Staal and other guys like him the pace of the game and the style teams play also changed quite a bit during his career, for sure he got less effective over time but in a league where guys are faster and D are expected to jump up more often guys with slower footspeed just got phased out. A lot of defensive defenders from that era went from effective to replacement in a few years even during their prime.

also known as the Dan McGillis effect

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Perusing some rookies for fantasy poo poo and saw that Wright has 4 games with a total of 12 mins (2 games in the press box). Seems like a good and smart way to delpoy a highly tired prospect.

Lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

You know who should be panicking after three games is the Wild. Their defense and goaltending do not defend or tend the goal very well.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Ekblad injured himself so Staal might be first pair now.

christ, already?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s very funny to me that both of Mike Babcock’s hires for defensive assistant coach got poached to be head coaches (you really want the architects of those defences to shape your team?) and that they both suck poo poo

I mean obviously Hakstol had already been a HC but that makes it even funnier

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Simplex posted:

You know who should be panicking after three games is the Wild. Their defense and goaltending do not defend or tend the goal very well.

yeah I mean, their defense hasn't been good but Fleury looks absolutely lost

Considering he wasn't great last year either, going into a season where you want to try to be a contender but are running him as your #1 seems like it was a bad decision

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Aye Doc posted:

christ, already?

Left in the 2nd last night and did not return. This left the Panthers with 4 defensemen 'cause they only rostered 5 on the evening. 'Maurice didn't provide details other than it is a lower body injury and Ekblad will be evaluated Wednesday'

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

I've been disappointed in Hughes so far this year. I was hoping that he would start to turn into an elite player who carries the team rather than just a nice player and he's been the later this year. Bratt has been much better. It's only 2 games though.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Tampa is starting what are essentially two rookies on right defense:

Hedman - cernak
Serge - perbix
Cole(ew) - Foote

Help I paid for espn so I could watch this game. Help.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

perbix

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Yeah. It’s why Ian cole signed with the lightning

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s very funny to me that both of Mike Babcock’s hires for defensive assistant coach got poached to be head coaches (you really want the architects of those defences to shape your team?) and that they both suck poo poo

I mean obviously Hakstol had already been a HC but that makes it even funnier

I feel like Melnyk loved Babcock, they also gave Paul Maclean a HC job from the Detroit days.

The locker room loves DJ Smith and he was a great motivator for a team that was rebuilding, but it’s sad watching a much more skilled roster still hanging on for dear life in the defensive zone, finally getting the puck out of the zone and dumping it in deep for a full line change. How is it possible for a team that prides itself on being “tough to play against” lose so many dump and chases?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Come on down Connor McM!

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1582419802798575616

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mcmagic posted:

I've been disappointed in Hughes so far this year. I was hoping that he would start to turn into an elite player who carries the team rather than just a nice player and he's been the later this year. Bratt has been much better. It's only 2 games though.

haven't watched any devils hockey this year but lol at Ruff and the team hating Bratt and propping up higher draft picks

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

He almost looks concerned after doing it and then he leans down and it looks like he’s gonna ask if he’s ok, but cross-checks him in the back instead lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

Once upon a time (if you also remember the kind of league it was when he was drafted) he was a quite good defensive defenseman. He was the kind of player that could shut things down in the neutral zone/zone entries, and he was great at making small plays in his own zone with the puck to facilitate a breakout or reverse the flow of things...never was going to be a great offensive player but some of his defensive strengths were the stuff we still look for these days.
But the bad concussion he got and then the eye injury really took away a lot of his game and he ended up more of the "block shots and don't get too wildly out of position in your own end even though you can't break the puck out" type defensive defenseman

Yup all of this. Staal at his peak was a very good shutdown defenseman in an different era. He had good instincts, solid stick checker, had a decent first pass out of the zone, and was big enough to play against physical players when that was more common. As he got older and the injuries piled up he lost a step on his reflexes and the aging curve isn’t generous to 6’4” players that play massive, tough, minutes for hundreds of games. He has zero offensive skills to fall back on- the amount of times I had to hear Sam Rosen say “Staal shoots that one wide” was countless. If he stayed healthy and the game was a touch slower than it is today he might still be able to carve out a specific role with the right partner but there is no chance at this point.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Staal plays an important role, which is getting embarrassed by world class talents like Pastrnak on a regular basis so ESPN can put it on their highlight reel and grow the popularity of the sport.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

haven't watched any devils hockey this year but lol at Ruff and the team hating Bratt and propping up higher draft picks

Eh propping up Hughes is not the right way of putting it, Hughes has earned his ice time, but so has Bratt, they should both be playing a ton. They're clearly the two best forwards on the team (well offensively at least, there's an argument to be made that a healthy Hischier is up there when you factor in defense).

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

The locker room loves DJ Smith and he was a great motivator for a team that was rebuilding, but it’s sad watching a much more skilled roster still hanging on for dear life in the defensive zone, finally getting the puck out of the zone and dumping it in deep for a full line change. How is it possible for a team that prides itself on being “tough to play against” lose so many dump and chases?

Winning pucks off of races and board battles is a real skill and lots of Good Players are both pretty bad at it and not all that interested in beating up their bodies for 50/50 pucks twice a shift. It's probably the reason why the Leafs offence under Babcock looked worse the better the team got, demanding Marner and Nylander to play chip and chase at 20 years old was both wasting their talents and also literally handing possession to the other team intentionally.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Levitate posted:

Hughes isn't being propped up. He needs to play a lot. That shouldn't take away from Bratt though they play different positions.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hughes has been pretty terrific in the first two games, he's generated a ton of chances.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Now Palat, gently caress he has looked bad.

I'm sure Gaudreau would have cost us Bratt long term but goddamn

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

T-Bone posted:

regular season palat is..uhhhh, not good. you sign him for the playoffs. like a john madden or a justin williams.

you are going to the playoffs, right? ...right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Going hard after Johnny and Tkachuk and getting Palat who looks HORRIBLE is distilled last 10 years Devils.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Palat was such an obvious “gotta sign someone” situation.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Simplex posted:

i think they're still going to be fine. their defense hasn't been atrocious and will tighten up. their goaltending has been atrocious. Gustavsson was even worse/more cursed than Fleury last night. he let in:

-weird rear end tip
https://www.nhl.com/video/meyers-tips-in-opening-goal/t-335386016/c-13204433
-an unbelievably soft backhand goal
https://www.nhl.com/video/girard-scores-goal/t-335386016/c-13204914
-a Tommy Salo special
https://www.nhl.com/video/rantanen-regains-the-lead/t-335386016/c-13206407
-another weird rear end tip
https://www.nhl.com/video/mackinnon-scores-ppg/t-335386016/c-13208117

they still have a core top 4 forwards of Kaprizov-Zuke and Eriksson Ek-Boldy. Boldy in particular looks really good. I think they'll be okay as long as Fleury/Gus get back to "basically competent/bad" instead of "loving hell".

having said that, losing 3 games with that goaltending can really sap a team and get them playing bad otherwise and cause a bad streak. they looked so deflated after a couple of those goals after playing pretty well against the defending champs.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Panthers went all-in last year when making the Giroux trade. The trade for Tkachuk was to try and align all the superstars on the team around the same age since Huberdeau and Weegar are 29 while everyone left is between 23-25. In theory, they're trying to set up for the following next few years and punting on this year while they try and figure out what to do about Bobrovsky and their other big out-of-place contracts like Hornquist which is why their defense corps might be the worst in the league with Ekblad, and definitely worst in the league without him. I am in no way condoning this plan, simply explaining that is what GM Bill Zito is trying to do. I'd much rather they have tried to win the cup again this year instead of this since they have no picks left, but whatever.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I doubt Palat completely falls off a cliff, he should be a fine complimentary top-middle six dude for another 2-3 years before the contract really looks lovely but he's gotta get it going

Marino has looked good though:

https://twitter.com/InfernalAccess/status/1582045189899964417

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 18, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

They also badly need somebody on the team who has won anything at all. Palat is fine, I think the problem is using as their first line left winger. Palat should be on the third line and the top six should have actual scoring talent on it in his place.

Maybe? Devils badly need one more top six winger to fill Hughes' left wing spot, and then you can have

Good player-Hughes-Holtz
Sharangovich-Hischier-Bratt
Palat-Mercer-Tatar (off wing?)
Wood-Haula-Bastian

That looks better

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

I doubt Palat completely falls off a cliff, he should be a fine complimentary top-middle six dude for another 2-3 years before the contract really looks lovely but he's gotta get it going

Marino has looked good though:

https://twitter.com/InfernalAccess/status/1582045189899964417

Glad he's working out, he seemed like a good guy. Just didn't fit Sullivan's system at all

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mcmagic posted:

Hughes isn't being propped up. He needs to play a lot. That shouldn't take away from Bratt though they play different positions.

I guess I don't mean propped up as in "he sucks but they're force feeding him minutes!" but more a reflection that the franchise seems to be more critical of Bratt than of Hughes and I speculate it's because Bratt is a 6th round pick rather than the highly prized 1st overall

Not that Hughes should be in the doghouse but that by being 1st overall the franchise and coach seem to be viewing him as more valuable/better player by default versus the guy who's also extremely good but they're being hardasses about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i think they're still going to be fine. their defense hasn't been atrocious

https://www.nhl.com/video/kakko-slips-in-a-sweet-goal/t-335366110/c-13133029