Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

devilmonk posted:

Can anyone suggest a “value” Instant Pot? I’m looking to get a small one for my wife and I.
6qt ?
There are so many choices on Amazon and I’m not sure what I need. They seem to be anywhere from $79 to $300 and I’d prefer closer to $79-100 but I don’t want to get a crappy one either.

Check out local thrift stores or buy nothing groups. Cooking gadgets often get donated after people get bored of them. You’ll probably find a good one for cheap. Or a cheap one for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

devilmonk posted:

Can anyone suggest a “value” Instant Pot? I’m looking to get a small one for my wife and I.
6qt ?
There are so many choices on Amazon and I’m not sure what I need. They seem to be anywhere from $79 to $300 and I’d prefer closer to $79-100 but I don’t want to get a crappy one either.

Honestly, the worst thing you can do when purchasing an instant pot is buying an undersized one. I have the 8qt and there's still times I am cutting it close with space (also just cooking for me and my wife). I'd suggest just waiting for a good deal on the 8qt and getting that and not looking back

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Melamine pads (magic erasers) are great for getting scuffs off of walls, but they get shredded to pieces if you use them on a wall with any sort of texture. Is there anything more durable I can use on my "orange peel" walls?

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

couldcareless posted:

Honestly, the worst thing you can do when purchasing an instant pot is buying an undersized one. I have the 8qt and there's still times I am cutting it close with space (also just cooking for me and my wife). I'd suggest just waiting for a good deal on the 8qt and getting that and not looking back

Instant Pots go on pretty steep sales on black friday usually.

I second the recommendation to get a bigger one. I have a 3qt that isn't big enough for anything more than a couple chicken thighs. It works great for yogurt though so I got a 6qt that's good for making a whole bunch of chicken soup or green chili for a single person. The 6qt Duo Evo Plus was $70 last black friday so well within your range.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Lester Shy posted:

Melamine pads (magic erasers) are great for getting scuffs off of walls, but they get shredded to pieces if you use them on a wall with any sort of texture. Is there anything more durable I can use on my "orange peel" walls?

Do you do it dry or what, I have a dead bug that left a mark on my drywall and I’m scared to scrub it and make it worse.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lester Shy posted:

Agave fiber cloths are soft when wet and coarse when dry.
You can use them to scrub just about anything and they don't contain any plastic.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Just get the Instant Pot brand and don't think twice. We have a 3 qt for a two person household and it does a great meal with no left overs. Also you can fit at least a pound of boneless skiness thighs in the 3 qt.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't see the point of getting a tiny one because pressure cooked stuff is typically extremely convenient to make extra and save. If you lose that ability you're missing out on a lot of the benefits

I would get at least 6

mystes has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Sep 5, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

gently caress, qine

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Get at least a 6 qt if you plan on ever using it as an air fryer. You'll need the extra room for air flow.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lester Shy posted:

I use stuff like this at work and lately we’ve found Grime Boss wipes to be the best. Magic erasers act like fine sandpaper and can leave noticeable marks on some sheens of paint. Grime Boss doesn’t have the friction but somehow it is fairly reliable at removing marks.

Also- I’m so happy I went with an 8qt instant pot, I’d never go lower than 6 unless I lived in a prison cell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my mom wants to try out forearm crutches instead of a regular cane. anyone have experience with them and have suggestions for an excellent type? I'm talking about these sorts: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5QTZYQZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2B2CUQI3E5QJH&psc=1

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Anyone got a recommendation for next level soft/warm housecoat or robe?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Looking for a remote outlet switch that is "programmable" in the sense that I can have multiple plugs being activated/deactivated by a single button.

Everything I've seen, so far, has a separate button for each outlet, and I'm looking to have multiple lamps turn on with a single push.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

That couldn't be solved with a single remote outlet switch and a power strip?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Unfortunately, the plugs that I want to trigger are in opposite corners of the room, so short of getting multiple long extension cords, plugging them into a single power strip, and then plugging that into a remote plug, that won't work.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Oh, yeah, that's a bad solution. Can't help, good luck!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That functionality is in cheap, dumb products and not even advertised on the box. If the manual indicates you need to pair outlet and remote on installation, there's a fair chance you can pair it with multiple outlets, as these things are too cheap for two way communication and the pairing is just telling the outlet to 'listen for this code' the way multiple radios can tune into the same frequency. It'd make sense to me of this was really common. Sorry I can't help with actual products though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

null_pointer posted:

Looking for a remote outlet switch that is "programmable" in the sense that I can have multiple plugs being activated/deactivated by a single button.

Everything I've seen, so far, has a separate button for each outlet, and I'm looking to have multiple lamps turn on with a single push.

How about smart bulbs instead? Philips Hue is pretty much the best system, but the equivalent IKEA system is cheaper and pretty good too.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

null_pointer posted:

Unfortunately, the plugs that I want to trigger are in opposite corners of the room, so short of getting multiple long extension cords, plugging them into a single power strip, and then plugging that into a remote plug, that won't work.

I have Feit smart bulbs and plugs and they do exactly what you’re looking for. You can group them together and then hit one button on your phone to turn them all on or off

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004

null_pointer posted:

You can do this with Z-Wave devices. One Z-Wave switch can control multiple Z-Wave outlets. To make that all work you'll need a hub though (I like Hubitat), and if it's only a couple outlets it may not be worth all the setup.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yo does anyone know where I can get a good green laser pointer? I need something bright as gently caress that can point at stuff outdoors from a long distance.

I need this thing for work. My boss has one and told me nothing about where he got it from except that it was a "tactical store".

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Yo does anyone know where I can get a good green laser pointer? I need something bright as gently caress that can point at stuff outdoors from a long distance.

I need this thing for work. My boss has one and told me nothing about where he got it from except that it was a "tactical store".

Get an astronomy laser and make sure you never point it at aircraft.

https://www.laserglow.com/product/lyra-green-laser-pointer
https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-SkyLine-Deluxe-Green-Laser-Pointer/rc/2160/p/5673.uts
https://biglasers.com/product/core-5mw-green-laser-pointer/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

These might work, although the one my boss had was more rugged-looking; it looked a little bit like a mini flashlight. Something like this:

My job is in landscaping and I need to use this thing to point at tree branches. I need the laser to be visible from at least 50 to 100 feet away, and if at all possible I also need it to be non-burning.

EDIT: This looks a lot closer to what my boss has.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Oct 10, 2022

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

my mom wants to try out forearm crutches instead of a regular cane. anyone have experience with them and have suggestions for an excellent type? I'm talking about these sorts: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5QTZYQZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2B2CUQI3E5QJH&psc=1

I am an an upright walker user, but I have considered forearm crutches instead of a cane in situations when I use a cane. I like the fact that these have a strap so you can use your hands, but my fear would be that the the crutch would swing forward when I bent my elbow. If there was a similar design with a hinge on the arm clamp, I think that would be ideal. Best wishes to your mom.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

These might work, although the one my boss had was more rugged-looking; it looked a little bit like a mini flashlight. Something like this:

My job is in landscaping and I need to use this thing to point at tree branches. I need the laser to be visible from at least 50 to 100 feet away, and if at all possible I also need it to be non-burning.

EDIT: This looks a lot closer to what my boss has.

That one will definitely suffice for your needs, plus it's rechargeable which is nice

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Looking for an under-desk foot warmer. Found some decent (?) looking ones on Amazon but every time I dive into the reviews they turn out to be shoddy junk that dies in a few months.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Have you considered a mid size dog and/or a particularly fat cat OP?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Warbird posted:

Have you considered a mid size dog and/or a particularly fat cat OP?

Cat is already warming my lap nicely. I guess I could get another...

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Slippers and a heated blanket might help the cat migrate to your feet

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

It's on my doorstep right now. I should say hopefully it's still on my doorstep.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I actually got a good deal on it, someone left it just SITTING on their doorstep

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recommendations for a nice cold (less than 40 degrees out) weather coat that can stand up to snow and wind?

I've recently lost a ton of weight and none of my old snow/winter coats fit. I live in the Great Lakes but not like Minnesota so I'm just looking for something that'll keep the wind out and keep me warm that also doesn't cost $900.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I like Spier and Mackay a lot for some really nice looking and comfy stuff:

https://www.spierandmackay.com/collection/outerwear

And even though I'm in Texas and my opinion on cold-weather clothing should be treated with suspicion, they're Canadians so they should be very familiar with the cold.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

If you have a REI store close by, they have reliable brands that won't break the bank and the store has sales all time. Even the in-house items are pretty good for their cost, their down jacket can be had for less than $100.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Are the Li-ion rechargeable AAs worth it/safe? I have a few different, old devices that use a fuckton of AAs to generate 9v/12v DC and if I could use rechargeables for those that would save me so many headaches. Li-ion specifically as those give a true 1.5V as opposed to the 1.2V NiMH ones like Eneloops do.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I use Amazon brand ones in my game controllers and random bullshit. They work as intended but don’t hold a charge as long as disposable batteries so I just keep some charged ready to go.

Worth it in my opinion.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, Li-Ion ones are a great idea. the 1.2V ones don't work properly in our Rock Band instruments.

They need a special charger, I assume? E: ah, looks like they just use USB-C, that's reasonable.

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Oct 24, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I want to say the IKEA brand are just rebadged Eneloops so that might be worth your time. Wirecutter has an article on them if you want some more comparing and contrasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Go with Eneloops, they're stupidly good. I'm always wary of sketchy battery poo poo off of amazon or aliexpress.