Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I downloaded it on xbox because it's free but then I saw it's available on pc game pass, so I'm gonna play that way, primarily for one reason:

I like to cheat and get all my social skills up to 5 at the beginning of the game. this is a replay, so I wanna see as much new content as possible. hard to do this on xbox, easy with cheat engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kasumi mod, her animations are too cool for less game than base haru

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Mirello posted:

I downloaded it on xbox because it's free but then I saw it's available on pc game pass, so I'm gonna play that way, primarily for one reason:

I like to cheat and get all my social skills up to 5 at the beginning of the game. this is a replay, so I wanna see as much new content as possible. hard to do this on xbox, easy with cheat engine.

Can you cheat engine gamepass games easily? I thought they ran in containers or something. Idk, all I know is the file system is a pain and not currently compatible with steam games (eg to copy a save game across)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

akechi navigator for the entire game :getin:

I would pay money for this mod.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PancakeTransmission posted:

Can you cheat engine gamepass games easily? I thought they ran in containers or something. Idk, all I know is the file system is a pain and not currently compatible with steam games (eg to copy a save game across)
Fortunately, IIRC Cheat Engine modifies the game's RAM values, not anything in the file system. Kinda like how Game Genies worked back in the day. You're basically hex editing RAM addresses. I don't know if Gamepass or the Windows store does anything to protect RAM or not, but their drive fuckery shouldn't affect how CE works.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Yeah, there's plenty of cheat engine tables for game pass games

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

The only caveat I'd add is that sometimes the Steam, Epic, and Game Pass versions of a given game will need different tables, so finding a table for a game doesn't mean it'll necessarily work.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PancakeTransmission posted:

lol this is my first ever game pass for pc game so I'll try it and report back to everyone. hopefully it works, lol. if it doesn't, that'd be a major bummer.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I wonder if they're adding the difficulty options that they did for the P4G steam release. That was fantastic for just cruising through the RPG parts of the game while still having stuff to engage with

I guess it's not really any different then just cranking the game on the easiest setting though functionally

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They didn't add those options for P4G though, they just let you do it before NG+ the way the Vita version worked, iirc

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

They didn't add those options for P4G though, they just let you do it before NG+ the way the Vita version worked, iirc

This is correct. I'll always remember because the Golden Hands will make you overleveled when you're just trying to get money, whereas with the Steam version I was able to turn Money up to More and kept EXP at Less so I beat the game underleveled and maintaining some challenge.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arist posted:

Oh I didn't realize that, good to know

Although sorta a shame because it was nice to just turn up whatever you wanted

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hope the game has hdr which apparently it didn't on ps4.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

akechi navigator for the entire game :getin:

I'd love a mod that unlocked every character as soon as you had a party of four and let you freely pick and switch navigators.

Someone is going to mod in Robbie Daymond screeching, "Move, I'm gay," into Akechi's lines somewhere. I'd bet money on it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tom bob-ombadil posted:

Someone is going to mod in Robbie Daymond screeching, "Move, I'm gay," into Akechi's lines somewhere. I'd bet money on it.

Just going to repost the best Robbie Daymond crossover video in history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmZKvvMbEw

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In Persona 4 every party member (except Rise) is gay without realising it. So its pretty gay. Persona 5 might be even gayer than that though. It's a good game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

In Persona 4 every party member (except Rise) is gay without realising it. So its pretty gay. Persona 5 might be even gayer than that though. It's a good game.

I dunno, I think Chie and Yukiko are kind of aware of it if you read some of the subtext in the first dungeon in a certain way.

Granted, with the exception of Yukiko and Yosuke, any combination of the OG 4 would probably make sense as a couple.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you want gay games you should play ones which are actually gay rather than ones which hate gay people, IMO

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you want gay games you should play ones which are actually gay rather than ones which hate gay people, IMO

It's funny how some fandoms tend to seek queer content in almost/absolutely queerphobic media (Persona, BBC Sherlock, Supernatural for examples) and then claim actual queer media as problematic (shows like Steven Universe got hit hard of this)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's funny how some fandoms tend to seek queer content in almost/absolutely queerphobic media (Persona, BBC Sherlock, Supernatural for examples) and then claim actual queer media as problematic (shows like Steven Universe got hit hard of this)

I don't think the Stephen Universe thing is a real example of the fandom in any meaningful sense.

As far as Persona goes it is because the central themes of Persona involve having the ability to reveal your true self instead of the mask you are forced to wear and having friends who support and accept that. It is not hard to understand wanting that to extrapolate to gay/trans individuals especially when the game flirts with it. Sometimes it is nice to pretend a message is actually for you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh, I kinda get it. On some level interpreting through a queer lens can even be about rebuking the creators, basically saying "it's not yours, it's ours."

And people do tend to be harsher in circumstances where they feel they have a measure of control over the outcome. Like, it's dumb to accuse Steven Universe or whatever of "queerbaiting" when the show is incredibly queer, but some people just wanna yell.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I played P4 knowing nothing about it and when Kanji first showed up (like up to his shadow appearing on the TV) I thought 'hey this seems like a thoughtful portrayal of a conflicted young man in the throes of puberty dealing with feelings that society and his peers have told him are wrong and the deepest rabelaisian corners of his brain are made manifest for all to see'

and then it wasn't that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It was harder to get niche JP stuff back when p4 first released in the west and western devs outside of some very niche indie scenes weren't doing queer stuff, so I think it was mostly a case of drops of rain in the desert.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

I played P4 knowing nothing about it and when Kanji first showed up (like up to his shadow appearing on the TV) I thought 'hey this seems like a thoughtful portrayal of a conflicted young man in the throes of puberty dealing with feelings that society and his peers have told him are wrong and the deepest rabelaisian corners of his brain are made manifest for all to see'

and then it wasn't that

It was literally exactly that

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arist posted:

Eh, I kinda get it. On some level interpreting through a queer lens can even be about rebuking the creators, basically saying "it's not yours, it's ours."

And people do tend to be harsher in circumstances where they feel they have a measure of control over the outcome. Like, it's dumb to accuse Steven Universe or whatever of "queerbaiting" when the show is incredibly queer, but some people just wanna yell.

Yeah, I was considering it more on this lens. And also that fandoms have a fascinating tendency to try and fill in the gaps of the source material which can lead to bein a foil to it. Like how light and cheery shows like Pokemon or My Little Pony will have a surprising amount of serious fancontent (and also edge), and darker media will trend towards slice-of-life and lighter content if people actually care about the characters. This of course isn't a hard rule, but it's interesting to see.

I do apologize if I looked like I was dismissing people who found queer reads in Persona, after all that's what makes the queerphobia worse.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

It was literally exactly that

was it? I remember really liking where I thought it was going and then it resolving out to something along the lines of 'it wasn't that I wasn't attracted to girls I was just afraid of them! also it turned out naoto's a girl so my feelings aren't weird, phew panic over everyone. Like I'm not smashing my action figures together and making them kiss but it felt like one writer wanted to do a story about a gay kid and then another guy wrestled the pen away from him an hour before they sent the script off to make sure nobody had to worry

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It ends up pretending to be about sexuality for a while when it's actually about gender roles. And that's not great, but it's also not terrible. It's maybe being invoked a little carelessly, but you see where they're going with it.

Then the game clumsily does more-or-less the same thing with Naoto at the last possible second before you fight her Shadow and it's just weird all around.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah in another context there's nothing wrong with a story about someone being insecure in his masculinity and being perceived as girlish/"gay" but the context of the rest of the game and that writer's career gives it unfortunate connotations

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanji's actual story was being performatively masculine because he actually liked 'feminine' things and was afraid of being called gay and teased about it. And that is actually a completely reasonable plot to have for a teenage boy to have even if they are heterosexual because society likes to bully people who are too 'girly' or whatever.

It just waa communicated almost entirely around his fear that girly things = the gay and it would be terrible to be gay.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Kanji's actual story was being performatively masculine because he actually liked 'feminine' things and was afraid of being called gay and teased about it. And that is actually a completely reasonable plot to have for a teenage boy to have even if they are heterosexual because society likes to bully people who are too 'girly' or whatever.

It just waa communicated almost entirely around his fear that girly things = the gay and it would be terrible to be gay.

It's why I get annoyed when people suggest that his epilogue look is him "conforming." Like, no, that's the exact opposite of the point of that, he's no longer putting up a front. Conforming to what society expects of him was what he was doing before.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's unfortunate because i like stories which don't conform to the "accepted" way to tell stories with queer themes or stories about masculinity/feminity to a western crowd, but the context around it is not good

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
that Sauna music is extremely sick though

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
With Kanji's arc, I can get the idea of not wanting to be a sexual minority in a conservative society and being fearful of that being the case, but sadly the game doesn't really do a good job of examining that aspect of the fear. He wouldn't have to actually be one way or another to successfully navigate that theme, but again the writer does not invite us to give him deference there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

It's why I get annoyed when people suggest that his epilogue look is him "conforming." Like, no, that's the exact opposite of the point of that, he's no longer putting up a front. Conforming to what society expects of him was what he was doing before.

Kanji's is the only epilogue look I like for these reasons.

the sex ghost posted:

that Sauna music is extremely sick though

It's alright but I remember thinking Rise's was the first dungeon with great music. Also it continues being great from there to the end, just one awesome dungeon theme after another.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Some people get mad online if you say that Naoto is trans and maybe she is just confused about gender roles like Kanji is. Buuuuut, before you show her the power of friendship her subconscious tells you that Naoto's ideal self is a man and is trying to give her a "forbidden operation" that will give her the body she always wanted. Not sure what thats symbolising. Probably nothing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like the character arc as written is largely incompatible with the trans reading, honestly.

This is not the same as me saying that I like Naoto's character arc, because I do not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Some people get mad online if you say that Naoto is trans and maybe she is just confused about gender roles like Kanji is. Buuuuut, before you show her the power of friendship her subconscious tells you that Naoto's ideal self is a man and is trying to give her a "forbidden operation" that will give her the body she always wanted. Not sure what thats symbolising. Probably nothing.

There is a difference between 'I wish I was a man so I could be the person I want to without dealing with the expectations and prejudice of society towards women who try that' and 'I identify as a man and wish to live that way.'

You can read her that way but then all the rest of the writing is 'actually it is okay to present as a girl and be who I really am' which makes the trans reading really uncomfortable.

And again the plot of 'I don't like dealing with the innate sexism of society and the fact it is literally easier for me to present as a man than just be a woman' could be an interesting arc but then it unmistakably references trans stuff but only as a window dressing and is instead all in kn gender conformity

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 19, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly I think I would be less weirded out by how badly Kanji and Naoto's arcs were handled if not for A) Yosuke just constantly being Yosuke all over the place and B) between Yukiko and Rise's stories kind of ending up at the same place they start and how upset Chie is about not being traditionally feminine despite her obvious interests in martial arts and training and the like.

The game is just weirdly uncomfortably traditional/conservative in a way that seems really weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Honestly I think I would be less weirded out by how badly Kanji and Naoto's arcs were handled if not for A) Yosuke just constantly being Yosuke all over the place and B) between Yukiko and Rise's stories kind of ending up at the same place they start and how upset Chie is about not being traditionally feminine despite her obvious interests in martial arts and training and the like.

The game is just weirdly uncomfortably traditional/conservative in a way that seems really weird.

I think the issue is that it is trying to be progressive. The characters have issues which boil down to the lovely views society or people have and try to force onto people, and it is okay to be a girl and like 'manly' things and vice-versa, but at the end of the day it is still almost exclusively tailored to people who want to fit into society instead of being comfortable outside of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like Dojima's S-Link where he finally comes to terms with himself and in the final scene decides to abandon his child for the RIGHT reasons.