Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A landlord grade fridge 3 years ago was $500. Now it's probably $1k.

I'm waiting on my dishwasher replacement to show up. Any week now. I can survive hand washing for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

fridge broke last week, landlord couldn't get a new one delivered until today. the stupid thing is way smaller than the last one, doesn't even have handles, just finger slots lmao

gently caress landlords now and forever

i like the finger slots

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

A landlord grade fridge 3 years ago was $500. Now it's probably $1k.

I'm waiting on my dishwasher replacement to show up. Any week now. I can survive hand washing for a while.

I have a dishwasher that's from the 80s. it's never really worked, and I've never pushed the issue because landlords give me so much anxiety. handwashing for 14+ years now fml

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I have a dishwasher that's from the 80s. it's never really worked, and I've never pushed the issue because landlords give me so much anxiety. handwashing for 14+ years now fml

this is heartbreaking

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

this is heartbreaking

Aren’t modern dishwashers actually way more efficient than hand washing or is that just propaganda from big appliance?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

I've been watching homes in my neighborhood get this treatment for the better part of ten years now. This area wasn't particularly cheap to begin with, and almost all the houses flippers buy in this area are move-in ready. The playbook is almost always exactly the same: knock down a bunch of walls to create an open floorplan, tear up carpeting and replace it with LVP if there's not already hardwood in the home, install a bunch of midrange stainless steel appliances, and then spend way too much money on marketing. Every time. It's builder-grade renovations that drive homes out of reach for anyone who can't afford a $3-4k/mo mortgage.

The first house I looked at was a flip and it was exactly as lovely as I would expect one to be, including one of those long, modern, fake electric fireplaces on a WALL of tile. They'd also added lovely electric in-wall heaters to the garage so it would count as finished space in the square footage lol The second was a bank flip that was somehow worse lipstick on an uglier pig. gently caress I'm never doing this again unless scrooge mcduck shows up with a sack full of cash

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't had a dishwasher in almost ten years. My landlord says she can't afford one lmao

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

fortunately she has amazon RSUs to help with the down payment

:thermidor:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I haven't had a dishwasher in almost ten years. My landlord says she can't afford one lmao

I don’t know what your financial situation is like but I rented a place without a dishwasher a while back and I was able to pick up a stand-alone unit on wheels that hooked up to the kitchen sink and worked pretty well

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Aren’t modern dishwashers actually way more efficient than hand washing or is that just propaganda from big appliance?

Supposedly. They filter, heat and reuse water.

The heating element is toast in mine.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I haven't had a dishwasher since I was in high school. It'll be fine.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Crusty Nutsack posted:

fridge broke last week, landlord couldn't get a new one delivered until today. the stupid thing is way smaller than the last one, doesn't even have handles, just finger slots lmao

gently caress landlords now and forever

At least you don't have to replace it yourself

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

WaryWarren posted:

I haven't had a dishwasher since I was in high school. It'll be fine.

I spent 5 years cooking. I'll survive.

But I really want a deepwell sink and spray nozzle on a spring wrapped hose to complete the experience.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

I had a landlord who did that to me with a sink faucet. The think rusted through and the handle snapped off and she told me she’d get a plumber when she was back in town or if I wanted I could just pick one up for under a certain amount (I think $20 or $50, this was 15 years ago) and take it off my rent (just the faucet though, not the labor)

Lol

Still the worst was the landlord who ignored my complaints for six months that cats were living in the crawl space under the house and then withheld my deposit under the justification that I had unpermitted pets and the place needed to have pest control take care of fleas. And while I think the implication is clear I’ll say outright that I did not have a pet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

very much so, yeah

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

But I really want a deepwell sink and spray nozzle on a spring wrapped hose to complete the experience.

handwashing dishes without this setup just plain sucks rear end for big stuff. i think i just wanna live in the kitchen of a pizza place

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

oh yeah, spray nozzles are nice. I've had to ask my current landlord to replace the garbage disposal three times in two years. The last I time asked, in September, the plumber came when I was at work and removed the old disposal and...installed a pvc pipe under that drain and connected it to the pipe under the other sink drain. and removed the spray nozzle because reasons? so, no disposal or spray nozzle now. thanks I guess.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

hell yeah gimme that commercial kitchen

Nothus posted:

I guess. but I wish I felt more in control of my living situation and getting stuck with an even shittier appliance doesn't help

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lugging my primo fuckin' sink from apartment to apartment

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll wait until I build my high valley desert shanty to buy my used commercial sink from a failed bar.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

they are.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Modern appliances are super efficient in general but for some reason people don't want to accept that because they think hard work is cool or whatever

Also if an appliance takes a long time to do something, there's probably a good chance it's doing it very efficiently.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

crusty platestack

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

Modern appliances are super efficient in general but for some reason people don't want to accept that because they think hard work is cool or whatever

Also if an appliance takes a long time to do something, there's probably a good chance it's doing it very efficiently.

When I moved to twice the square footage our energy bill dropped 40 percent because our appliances stopped being landlord-spec energy hogging trash, they probably could have been replaced with the savings years earlier but lol renting

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

The thing I find most irritating about the flipper aesthetic is the same thing I find irritating about new cars. They push materials choices (marble countertops vs shiny black plastic finishes) that look good once, for like a minute, just long enough to sell the product. Then they go completely to poo poo as soon as you use them in the real world. It's maddening that that's where the money goes.

Idk we bought a place recently that's about 24 years old and the kitchen is definitely original. Has late 90's era marble counter tops and they're way better than the 1960's yellow melamine ones at the place we were renting last. Big bonus having a dark pattern in the marble is that it's impossible to tell how dirty they are, the yellow ones would show every bloody crumb.

The house in front of us was built at the same time to the same plan (developer knocked down an old house on a big block and subdivided it) and they've already completely re-done the kitchen in their place despite it being the same age as the completely fine and good kitchen we have.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Oh and we went from a rental-grade free-standing combined fanless gas oven and hob to a good built-in electric oven and it owns so hard. We had to light the rental oven with a match or lighter because the ignition system didn't work and it would just burn the poo poo out of the bottom of whatever was in there as all the heat came from the bottom and there was no fan to distribute it evenly. Now we can actually cook and bake in the oven without getting completely variable or lovely results.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Oldest Man posted:

The thing I find most irritating about the flipper aesthetic is the same thing I find irritating about new cars. They push materials choices (marble countertops vs shiny black plastic finishes) that look good once, for like a minute, just long enough to sell the product. Then they go completely to poo poo as soon as you use them in the real world. It's maddening that that's where the money goes.

Also, everything's greyscale. I've seen photos of flipper houses before that have taken me a few seconds to realize were shot in color.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ope

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/venessawong/housing-market-buyers-remorse-homeowner-regret

quote:

Riggins tried her best to shake off her nerves and moved ahead with the sale. It was a relief to finally be able to move her kids out of the hotel, but by the time she closed in July, her mortgage rate was 6%, setting off a chain of financial consequences she was unprepared for. “I feel like I bought more problems,” she said.

Riggins’s monthly rent had only been $800 a month; her mortgage payment for a home of the same size is about $1,500. The house also needed repairs that her inspector did not catch. None of the kitchen appliances worked. There were electrical issues. The roof needed to be fixed. She found mold under the cabinets. “I feel like I was really screwed over and put in a really bad space,” she said.

Riggins depleted her savings and has nearly maxed out her credit cards, which she previously kept only for emergencies. She downsized from an SUV to a sedan to reduce her car payments. Riggins is getting by paycheck to paycheck now, and earning extra money by working for Instacart and renting out her car. Still, there was no wiggle room to take her daughter out for her birthday this year.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

So this isn't "people who bought during the pandemic regret their purchases," this is "person who got ripped off regrets getting ripped off"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if modern appliances are so efficient why is my bosch dishwasher's cycle 2.5 hours

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A lot of people felt pressured and rushed into bad purchases. The woman in my quote for example was only looking to buy because she had to move out of her rental because rents shot up everywhere.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah it's hard to blame people when they knew their rents were going up, and to get a house, unless you were rich, you basically had to agree to forgoing inspections to even have a chance

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

actionjackson posted:

you basically had to agree to forgoing inspections to even have a chance

the sellers “pre” inspectors were garbage too if they one .

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A lot of people felt pressured and rushed into bad purchases. The woman in my quote for example was only looking to buy because she had to move out of her rental because rents shot up everywhere.

this has been framed lately as a pandemic issue when it's just how the markets will work going forward though

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
But the text says that there was an inspector, just that they didn't catch the problems. Though how someone misses that none of the kitchen appliances work is beyond me.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

hmm wonder if the woman is black

yep

how interesting

is the article presenting her condition as one of “foolish black woman, you should have stayed beneath the protective blanket of your saintly landlord”?

quote:

All these factors have left these owners wondering whether it was worth it after all. “I almost feel like it’s a scam or a trick to get me more into debt. I worked so hard to get my credit up to even be able to apply for a mortgage,” Riggins said. Homeownership is “almost another way to keep people under.”

i am harry has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Oct 19, 2022

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

actionjackson posted:

if modern appliances are so efficient why is my bosch dishwasher's cycle 2.5 hours

Modern dishwashers are slow because they're more efficient than older ones. It's specifically a response to newer requirements for energy star ratings limiting the total amount of water and electricity used for a single cycle. There's no way to meet those requirements without taking several hours to clean a load of dishes.

High-efficiency washing machines take longer, too.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Oct 19, 2022

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A full appliance having kitchen is typically a selling point plus a reason for a higher selling price. Every single one being non-functioning means the seller went to a junkyard and bought them to trick people. That poo poo should be treated as fraud

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the houses in my neighborhood after being sold are immediately converted from single-family to dual-family and then resold with each unit at 90-100% the original purchase price of the whole property. tbf during conversion they typically finish the basement and expand the attic, as well as add a kitchen from scratch to the 2nd floor (and probably fully remodel everything on both floors anyway), so the house goes being a 2 story single family home to 2 apartments with 2 stories each. seems to be done primarily by institutional money as well instead of by independent "flippers"

Apr 7, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

the houses in my neighborhood after being sold are immediately converted from single-family to dual-family and then resold with each unit at 90-100% the original purchase price of the whole property. tbf during conversion they typically finish the basement and expand the attic, as well as add a kitchen from scratch to the 2nd floor (and probably fully remodel everything on both floors anyway), so the house goes being a 2 story single family home to 2 apartments with 2 stories each. seems to be done primarily by institutional money as well instead of by independent "flippers"

That happened a few blocks from me

Investor bought a lot with a neighborhood appropriate single family home, knocked it down, and built this monstrosity

Took them over a year but they sold both units for over $450K each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao

hahahah