Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Consider each division is 100 MMR, and each win is usually 20-30 MMR. That's how the system works. It can also be a 50-80 or so MMR swing when the game ranks you below your actual MMR, or if your account is fairly new and you are performing way better statistically than you should be for your rank, but that only lasts up until Diamond 5.

Most of the time, after any dust has settled so to speak, you'd basically need 7 wins to 3 losses or so to go up one division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I need these pubbies to stop DYING so much

every game it's like three of us die six times and the other two die 14. How do they even fit it all in? It's just constant feeding 1v5

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pattonesque posted:

I need these pubbies to stop DYING so much

every game it's like three of us die six times and the other two die 14. How do they even fit it all in? It's just constant feeding 1v5

There is no such thing as a feeder, only temporarily embarrassed hard carries

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

healing mmo triad: lol i click on ally bar and autopilot heal buttons on rotation
dps role: i stand near good corner and shoot at same target over and over

support role:
flick and track 2 shots on target while controlling recoil at head level ok frontline doesn't need heal

180 to check silent cassidy needs healing oh god why are you all the way back there behind me you loving idiot let me just hit this flick grenade skill shot calculating the trajectory instantly hoping you don't dodge it

now i have to 180 again to flick and track shoot 1-2 shots oh god rein has ult i need to charge exoboots i'm too far from the corner because i needed to peek a heal earlier oh my god why is this this genji loving diving me too right now i have to start tracking him point blank while exobooting over the rein shatter while flick shotting heals and trying
to flick shot this lamp out of line of sight and remembering to press the emergency heal button

ah gently caress i need to 180 to heal that stupid loving cassidy again to hit the far grenade shot so i can 180 again to start shooting again and break shields or chip someone

ok we lost that was fine go next. cassidy: heal diff

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
his name is mcree

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

verbal enema posted:

his name is mcree

Nah.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

verbal enema posted:

his name is mcree

:chloe:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
is there something im missing

e: ah lol

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Fixed.
Otherwise weeklies are the same, which is boring.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

verbal enema posted:

is there something im missing

A reason to defend the character being named after a rapist

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's mr. kujo

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Man, Baptiste has a fun kit. Shame that his character/presentation is (in my opinion) an annoying dweeb.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

Man, Baptiste has a fun kit. Shame that his character/presentation is (in my opinion) an annoying dweeb.

D.Va is annoying by design but somehow the most likable in the whole cast.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mind over Matter posted:

He looks nearly more Generic Shooterguy than S76 somehow.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Bottom Liner posted:

D.Va is annoying by design but somehow the most likable in the whole cast.

Basically agree, but some of her new zoomer voice lines with OW2 are really bad.

Disclaimer: I am old.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 18, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have some sort of Scavenger skin for Baptiste that makes him look like a helmeted generic shootman and I dig that. Similarly, I have the omnic version of Orissa and it does a lot to change her tone. Similarly, I treasure the creepy Chinese holiday Ana skin.

I don't have, and don't know of, a Lucio skin I really like, but I use one with with a tinted visor and urban camo and it's OK.

Really, I have a nice skin for every single OW1 character I played to any degree, which is most of them. Then I think of what new players are going to get in terms of skins and I feel bad for them.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Disco Baptiste is a top tier skin. I like Jazzy for Lucio but mainly just because it changes his crossfade music not because of how it looks.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I live playing support. Am I brain damaged?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
For sure

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Kwolok posted:

I live playing support. Am I brain damaged?

Probably, but I'm right there with you. Tank is pretty fun, Support is awesome, DPS is boring to me.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

DrBox posted:

Probably, but I'm right there with you. Tank is pretty fun, Support is awesome, DPS is boring to me.

Same.

I used to kind of enjoy some DPS that are marginalized now. I liked Cass with stun, and especially flash/fanning flankers while camping in a sneaky corner. I liked when they had utility outside of pushing the damage button. putting the crosshair pixel on a headbox pixel isn't a skill that I care about. Every other facet of overwatch is more interesting.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DrBox posted:

Problem is by breaking it down into these 3 broad categories the majority of heroes get stuffed into DPS, including fun weird ones like torj and symm

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
is there a way to make enemy ult callouts louder? i didn't have this problem of never hearing them in ow1.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Does anyone even notice other people's skins? I think the last time I went 'wow that looks cool' was in the first year of OW1, after that they just all sort of blurred together.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Sloppy posted:

Does anyone even notice other people's skins? I think the last time I went 'wow that looks cool' was in the first year of OW1, after that they just all sort of blurred together.

Agreed. Every once in a while in the spawn room or a POTG intro, something will stand out, but it's rare. All this fuss about cosmetic monetization is *shrug*. I enjoy the gamified experience min/maxing, but don't really care about the rewards.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mind over Matter posted:

Basically agree, but some of her new zoomer voice lines with OW2 are really bad.

Disclaimer: I am old.

the thing i dont like about dva's lines is that theyre so generically Gamer. its like the writers (or devs or whoever) didn't have a clear vision of what game(s) she played, her community, whatever. basically every line she says could be applied to any competitive game and that makes it boring. she should namedrop specific (fake but real in-universe) characters, strategies, etc., itd be a lot funnier

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

F.D. Signifier posted:

Problem is by breaking it down into these 3 broad categories the majority of heroes get stuffed into DPS, including fun weird ones like torj and symm

I actually kinda miss the Defense class of heroes existing. It offered more design space to give characters kits that offer more utility I think. Sure none of the characters that got removed from that class really changed all that much but I think constraining things down limited the possibilities of future design space.

I dunno though, maybe I'm just pining for old days.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

DrBox posted:

This is me as well. Due to the DPS queue times in OW1 being up to 2x as long as the matches themselves, I almost only play support as Moira, Ana, and Baguette, or just putz around with whatever tank doesn't seem to be getting melted that match.

DPS is okay, but I don't look forward to it anymore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For anyone that cares, I'm working on tier 58 of BP right now. I play maybe 1-2 hours a day at most. Progress honestly doesn't seem that bad if you do your dailies/weeklies. All other XP gained is whatever, but the challenges give a pretty significant chunk.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

headcase posted:

Agreed. Every once in a while in the spawn room or a POTG intro, something will stand out, but it's rare. All this fuss about cosmetic monetization is *shrug*. I enjoy the gamified experience min/maxing, but don't really care about the rewards.

Partly because the giant shader thing for colored character outlines tends to overwhelm everything in gameplay

Countblanc posted:

the thing i dont like about dva's lines is that theyre so generically Gamer. its like the writers (or devs or whoever) didn't have a clear vision of what game(s) she played, her community, whatever. basically every line she says could be applied to any competitive game and that makes it boring. she should namedrop specific (fake but real in-universe) characters, strategies, etc., itd be a lot funnier

Isn't that partly because they retconned her from specifically being a Starcraft pro into instead just being a pro in some undetailed fictional games?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Would've been interesting to have a vision of a world where starcraft was supported well enough to sustain a high-profile celebrity culture deep nearly a century after its inception

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

For anyone that cares, I'm working on tier 58 of BP right now. I play maybe 1-2 hours a day at most. Progress honestly doesn't seem that bad if you do your dailies/weeklies. All other XP gained is whatever, but the challenges give a pretty significant chunk.

Yes I'm at 52 playing about the same amount of time. It's just a shame we'll have to play the "subscription cost" to get the battle pass. I don't mind supporting content creation, but it would be nice if highly engaged people could play around it. It's fun enough having things to unlock and challenges to do.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zomborgon posted:

Isn't that partly because they retconned her from specifically being a Starcraft pro into instead just being a pro in some undetailed fictional games?

i have no clue. and if that's the case she should talk about them

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I actually kinda miss the Defense class of heroes existing. It offered more design space to give characters kits that offer more utility I think. Sure none of the characters that got removed from that class really changed all that much but I think constraining things down limited the possibilities of future design space.

I dunno though, maybe I'm just pining for old days.

Eh, I think they generally have more utility now than before. Mei is basically an off tank, Sym tele is up constantly, etc.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sloppy posted:

I do. A good looking team helps inspire confidence.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bleck posted:

"nobody liked Cassidy's stun grenade so instead we gave him a homing grenade that instantly kills you" this game is so loving stupid

i think the leaks from 9 months ago that blizzard had no clue how to balance ow pvp have definitely been borne out

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Long as by "leaks" you mean the majority of the patch notes over the past 5-6 years.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Andrigaar posted:

Long as by "leaks" you mean the majority of the patch notes over the past 5-6 years.

I dunno. End state OW1 was really balanced. In most SRs you could play anyone. There weren't any major turtling problems. Every class had a pretty good time except the preponderance of DPS queuers that were stuck with each other in line.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Once you get the three dailies and the XP from that is there any benefit to working on additional dailies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Once you get the three dailies and the XP from that is there any benefit to working on additional dailies?

You get to see another fun green card after you complete the match