Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Good example, there was some ex producer who claimed Guy was homophobic

I'm not a Guy Fieri fan or defender but he was cleared of all charges by idk officiating his sisters super gay wedding.

The claim was that he had to be notified in advance if any restaurateurs were gay because he found them upsetting. But he got over it and is not that bad of a person.

I really don't like or mostly trust huffpo they are liberal trash but a source

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/guy-fieri-homophobia_n_1020736

because I put myself at the top of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Some guy named Elmer back in a corner passed out in a chair.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

:cumpolice:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'm not a Guy Fieri fan or defender but he was cleared of all charges by idk officiating his sisters super gay wedding.

The claim was that he had to be notified in advance if any restaurateurs were gay because he found them upsetting. But he got over it and is not that bad of a person.

I really don't like or mostly trust huffpo they are liberal trash but a source

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/guy-fieri-homophobia_n_1020736

because I put myself at the top of the page.

He seems like a genuine turnaround case, which is nice if true.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Improbable Lobster posted:

He seems like a genuine turnaround case, which is nice if true.

Yeah, it's aspirational. And I believe the hype. Still not a fan of the food from his shows or restaurants but that's a whole different thing.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

lollontee posted:

you... did not. i told you i didn't know how you read my posts from two years back. you said it didnt matter, that i had to give a yes/no answer, and when i tried to explain my political position with regards to a loving ongoing political conflict, that what i believed was that it was likely that the CIA, in coordination with the Saudis and the turkish grey wolf neo-ottoman fascists, organized a jihadist insurgency in Xinjiang, you told me to evacuate in 18 hours.

and i know, america sponsoring islamists in a communist country? that like, almost never happens constantly.... but, you said these were beliefs that were incompatible with me having a home in goosefleet. i wonder if you realise what kind of decision that really is?

the only thing about my actual behavior you could point to were two posts on the discord from two months ago where i stated my opinions on NATO involvement in Ukraine, which some people like the ukraine stan guy whose name i forget got angry about, so i never talked about it ever again. and neither did anyone else, to my knowledge anyway

you made this a political affair, as you said the problem was my personal political beliefs. i don't really know how to describe what kind of problem an actively enforced political shibboleth is for an organization of internet spaceship nerds

but, i won eve already, so anyway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lmao

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just close dnd, problem solved.

Smythe posted:

goijng to close your mouth and neck hole by pouring cement into it

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mr. Crow posted:

Which star wars is this

Lobok posted:

The ManDeLorean

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

I like my politics posters the way I like my cats: lazy, well-fed, and kept indoors at all times to avoid the ecological impact they'd have on free-roaming the neighborhood.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s actually the 1978 Alan Dean Foster novel Splinter of the Mind’s Eye, on account of the incest.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:smugbert: i ownefd u all :smugbert:

FAKEPOST POLICE posted:

gently caress YOU

your friend BEST ADMIN EVER

Bonus:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

EorayMel posted:

:smugbert: i ownefd u all :smugbert:

Bonus:

Still not the worst admin ever

Does anyone have that post from the train engineer's point of view of a train derailment? Going into detail about how everyone hosed up but his carcass is going to cop all the blame.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Outrail posted:

Still not the worst admin ever

Does anyone have that post from the train engineer's point of view of a train derailment? Going into detail about how everyone hosed up but his carcass is going to cop all the blame.

B4CTom1 was the poster, but be warned there's some casual racism buried in there. Still one of my favorite posts though.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Pretty much this. It is hard to explain not just the physics, but the amounts of forces involved.

We use throttle to create stretching or "draft" forces and dynamic braking (think of downhill engine braking in a car) to create bunching or "buff" forces.

To start with, when you are running the train, you are feathering the throttle or dynamic braking to keep "in train forces" at acceptable levels. This is based upon the terrain each part of the train is passing over.

Even small changes in grade, if there are enough of them under the length of the train, are enough to break knuckles, rip out draw bars, or derail cars simply by doing "nothing at all" at the wrong time.

In these situations heavier applications of power or dynamic brake are required to keep these "in train forces" down.

Think of a large sliced loaf of bread. I take the wrapper off of it and ask you to carry it across the room. One hand on each end should suffice. A small amount of pressure to keep the bread from being crushed and across the room you go.

The knuckle and drawbar connections between the cars seem very strong to the layman, but when compared to the amount of weight of loaded freight cars, and all of the cars behind them piled upon it, it may as well be dental floss.

You can break dental floss easily, but the difference is that it is hard to "crush" dental floss.

The poster I have quoted above is addressing something we call "train make up". THe "in train forces" can be additionally effected by the way cars or groups of cars are placed in the train. Long cars next to short cars, loads next to empties.

Generally freight trains that are not hauling a bulk of the same commodity are mixed freight. A bulk commodity train would be an entire train of wheat or coal. These trains are very heavy, and have their own set of problems, but in general do not have any issue of train make up because all of the cars are generally the same weight and type. Mixed freight trains are the most common types of trains on the main rail thoroughfares.

A mixed freight train I haul might have 25 heavy loaded lumber cars, 15 empty or loaded auto racks, 20 empty or loaded tank cars of various lengths, 30 empty or loaded covered hopper cars of various lengths, and 30 loaded or empty boxcars of two different lengths.

So for this example train of 120 cars. Lets say it weighs 7900 tons and is 9000 feet (2.75KM) long.

I am traveling along at 50 MPH.

The "head end" of the train has passed the bottom of the grade and the train is still descending the grade. As about half of the train leaves the grade I am looking ahead at the next grade to climb directly ahead. I have been using dynamic brake and need to "transition" from braking to power. I move the lever into the idle position and begin waiting my 10 seconds. In my my mind, from experience, I know that I need to rapidly, but gently begin notching through my power notches without allowing my train to accelerate past 50 MPH which I am restricted to.

The very head of the train is traveling around a slight curvature in the track. I also need to see that the next signal is green "clear" so that I do not have to formulate an entire other plan as a reduction of speed might be required instead. I see that the signal is flashing yellow "advanced approach". This will mean a reduction of speed to 40 MPH and a possible stop short of the second signal ahead.

As I am thinking of what I am to do next and waiting for the 10 seconds to pass, the next crossing becomes visible and I see that there is a truck hauling a low slung trailer with a heavy piece of equipment on it. He is blocking the crossing because his low slung trailer is stuck on the raised rail and crossing lumber that you drive across.

Without hesitation or further consideration, I slam the brake handle into the emergency position, dumping all the trainline air. I reach up and toggle the switch that ensures that the "End Of Train" device dumps from the rear as well. I bail off the locomotive air brakes because they are so powerful in a situation like this, that they can cause such a massive buff forces which will certainly derail a train. Additionally they can crumple or destroy the track beneath them.

While in earlier transition from dynamic braking to power "slack" had developed in the train. Slack is neither draft or buff, but more of a null position like rail cars standing in a yard not connected to a train. A developed space between cars where they are sort of relaxed.

As the air dumped from the train-line, the brake valves on each car sense this emergency and dump the full value of air contained within their emergency reservoir into the large cylinder that applies the brakes giving each car higher than usual stopping power.

Somewhere near the head end of the train a group of empty tank cars having such massive braking power begin to stop the train, but right behind them a group of heavy loaded hoppers presses against them, their own braking being less substantial. A tank car of Anhydrous Ammonia right between the groups which has been taking the brunt of these two opposing forces has a wheel that lifts off the rail as it is being pressed around a curve. This car, the car ahead of it, and nine of the loaded hopper cars behind it all leave the rail and head into a tiny quiet suburb in the middle of the night.

Half way back in the train where the most of the box cars are, they settle down for their stop. Still bunched because they were still descending the hill. The heavy loads of lumber fighting them as they come to a stop. Even though on straight track the, one end of an empty boxcar in the group begins to lift into the air. The opposing force of the heavy lumber cars and the stopping train ahead of it is too much. As it sets back down the wheels miss the track and begin to erase the track, all of the cars behind it having no track to ride on begin to take paths of their own in each direction.

Near the back of the train the auto-rack settle down hard. Harder than the group of heavy lumber cars ahead of them. This causes one of the long 500+ pound (230kg) draw-bars in the third auto-rack to be sheared from place. For a moment it tumbles through space, whistling though the wind in contact with only the air. Then it strikes a tie and the car passing above it in vaulted, only inches off of the rail, and a carload of new rangerovers tumbles end over end into a reservoir of drinking water.

The drawbar is angry, propelled by its last impact it drops onto the rail for a moment derailing a load of mini coopers, a load of corvettes, a load of ford diesel pickups, and a load of prius. The last of the autoracks ram into those derailed and the drawbar impales itself through the bottom of a boxcar piercing 20 cases of aged Glenfiddich.

Back on the locomotive, pressed forward by the loads behind, we cover the half mile to the stuck trailer in about 45 seconds. My conductor sees that the piece of equipment is a D9 Caterpillar bulldozer and screams like a woman as he jumps from his window at 35 mph. The fall from 15 feet in the air certainly would have killed him but instead he tumbled and struck feet first shattering his legs in 20 places and cartwheeling to his death as his head exploded when it struck the hard granite ballast some 20 times or so in the cartwheeling tumble. It takes 24 hours for them to find his body under crumpled boxcars.

I run out the back door to the second locomotive where I lay down in the cab. The impact at 35 mph is brutal. The second locomotive which I am on climbs under the front locomotive. The third locomotive does the same to mine. When the locomotive comes to a rest, is on its side, and both my arms are broken.

I drown, face down, in 200 gallons of brownish, blueish sewage from a chemical toilet long overdue for a cleaning. But my dignity is preserved because a fire from the combined 12,000 gallons (45.5 Kiloliters) of fuel burns for 3 days incinerating me and most of the locomotives completely.

The undocumented worker driving the truck with the wedged trailer disappears.

During the conductor's autopsy, trace amounts of THC from a brownie he consumed 3 weeks earlier while on vacation in Amsterdam are found to be the cause of the accident.

It was also noted in the government report that the cellphone of an engineer on a different train following ours was "on" at the time of our impact, and this may have contributed to the wreck.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SyNack Sassimov posted:

B4CTom1 was the poster, but be warned there's some casual racism buried in there. Still one of my favorite posts though.

I could be horribly optimistic here but I always read that as someone who was undertrained, underpaid and untraceable so the freight company of the truck wouldn’t have to pay out for the accident (“it’s not our employee, it’s a contractor”) and the bits about the cellphone and brownie are so that the freight company owning the train wouldn’t have to pay the survivors.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laserjet 4P posted:

the bits about the cellphone and brownie are so that the freight company owning the train wouldn’t have to pay the survivors.

Also so that they're not obligated to make any changes to maintenance regimes or operating procedures

Phy has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Oct 18, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Human Crouton posted:

Magic Set Editor

https://magicseteditor.boards.net/

It's a downloadable program for making your own custom cards. The result can look presentable as a real Magic card, but will not pass any scrutiny if being observed by anyone with more than a causal interest in the game.

Cactrot posted:

You could use MSE to make real bad looking versions of real cards, but people tend to use it instead to mock up fan made cards like the Star Wars: The Gathering fan set.

The World Inferno posted:

Yeah, here's some examples of typical MSE cards,

the Starscream card is a real magic card that was recently revealed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What are we converting starscream to

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are we converting starscream to

A plane, its kind of transformers whole thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh thank god. I was thinking scientology

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Why do they say convert and not transform

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I was going to answer this question with my assumption that converting is somehow slightly mechanically different to transforming (a thing that already exists in MTG) and so they had to come up with a new name. However, I wasn't sure so I looked it up.

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Convert

quote:

It is exactly the same as Transform.

Huh?

quote:

"Convert" is the term used by Hasbro on the packaging and in the manuals for the Transformers franchise.[2][3] They do this to avoid genericizing the term Transformer and transform, and thus to protect their trademark.

:capitalism:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This is really stupid but because of trademark law, Hasbro does not allow any fiction, packaging copy, advertising copy, or tie-in products to use the verb "transform" under any circumstances. Transformers convert, scan alt-modes, and change shape, but do not transform. If Transformers transformed, the brand name would become descriptive and Hasbro would risk losing it as a trademark.

Optimus no longer says "transform and roll out". A comics writer had to fight to get the phrase "transformed himself to death" cleared in the 2010s and probably wouldn't get cleared for it today.

DoctorWhat has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Oct 18, 2022

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Transformers, convert and drive over there"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I would love to see them play that out in court - a word doesn’t just stop existing because your company stops using it. “Transformers” is extremely descriptive.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's trademark law, so don't go expecting it to make a lot of sense if you don't already know that world.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Forget it, Jake...it's Trademarktown

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rockman Reserve posted:

I would love to see them play that out in court - a word doesn’t just stop existing because your company stops using it. “Transformers” is extremely descriptive.

In 2003, Marvel successfully argued that the X-Men are not human, so their action figures should be taxed by customs as toys rather than dolls, which had a higher import duty.

Anyway:

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao gently caress. My entire family just got [covid] except for me. Guess who's the only one who keeps their respirator on at all times even while sleeping?

Calibanibal posted:

Well I can say with absolute certainty that its not your mother.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I assume it was some sort of cross-promo deal or else they probably couldn't have used the character at all right? Is it one of those things where you HAVE TO PROTECT THE HOLY TRADEMARK ABOVE ALL

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Both transformers and magic the gathering are owned by hasbro because capitalism etc etc

They're releasing promo transformer cards in the upcoming set that's based around a war between two brothers who build lots of giant robots to fight said war. It fits thematically, you see

They've released a few transformer promos for SDCC before and those also said convert, because of hasbro's mandate

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh god at first I thought you said porno

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What are you doing, step-Hasbro?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Staryberry posted:

https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1566045338464653313?s=20&t=wf6JbsHViJV4jsscs_aM1A

The idiot here is the parent who asked their child to solve an unsolvable ethical dilemma, and then self -diagnosed their kid as a burgeoning psychopath.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Spoken to Jeffrey. We will reach out to the child to buy them a forums account when they reach majority

Grognan posted:

gently caress, you should make him an admin

Captain Monkey posted:

But then what do you do when half the admin team can't go within 500 yards of the admin forum?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is that Hasbro actually has collaborated with another company- the Lego Optimus Prime that just came out, which is even designed to, ahem, convert without needing to be taken apart. The description even basically says 'Yes, this is a collaboration between two directly competing companies, because it was just that fun an idea'.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ups_rail posted:

I never understood friends is it because it didnt have any old people on it?

oh oh reboot friends only make it queer.

Turpitude II posted:

so no-one told you life was gonna be this gayyyyy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A goon not understanding friends, sounds about right.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:poland: Posting drunk. :poland:

Jethz posted:

So today my friend comes over and tells me he's now dating a girl I liked as well and I have to be all cool about it and pretend it doesn't matter to me so I get out a bottle of vodka and I'm not realy sober right now.

Is there a rule against drunk posting ?

:birddrugs: Posting high. :birddrugs:

:boston: Posting some crappy thread about the leper's colon in TCC. If you know it doesn't belong in the forum don't make the thread. :boston:

Tyson Tomko posted:

monster edit: let my intentions be known, I did not start this thread for a ton of people to say "uh oh" or "a gas chamber challenge" and for that I'm sorry. It must have came across the wrong way. I can sum up my whole OP with thew few following words: I think the Leper's Colony can be funny sometimes, how about you?

--------------------

first off, let me say that although this is probably the wrong forum since this isn't very drug related, I'm almost positive this would be gassed in gbs (bastards) immediately. I think of this as my favorite forum because it's very laid back and I can really relate to my fellow crackheads :zoid:

I check out the leper's colony all the time to the point that I'm like "hey, a new ban/probation! I've got to check this out."

Am I getting too much enjoyment out of this or do a lot of other people peruse the colony as well? One example, that oran...apple juice character or random bans for racism I find funny as poo poo.

edit: just to clarify something, I find the act of banning funny not the racism :P as I'm sure I'm not alone here you commies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

So loving glad high posting isn't banned anymore