Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

good emote

Definitely someone about to start an "I want" musical number in a Disney movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The Last Dregs tribal quest is everything I wanted and I'm hating the daily quota that doesn't let me keep progressing through it

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I was an idiot and thought the new tribe was gatherer and crafter. So I'm having to level botanist through ishgard first :(

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

CJ posted:

I ground out all the Manderville quests over the weekend and it's only the ARR ones that were bad. After that they were short enough to not outstay their welcome.

yeah it's like everything else in ARR needs to be edited down a bit

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Variant Dungeon is cool as heck. Probably too much work to do for dungeons in an base expansion, but I wonder if this is the plan for patch dungeons going forward.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Criterion Dungeon went hard much faster than I expected. I thought we wouldn't see things so rough until Savage.

I love it. we've solved one mechanic so far and I'm getting out the whiteboard for another.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think so, this seems very much like its own thing.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Bruceski posted:

I love it. we've solved one mechanic so far and I'm getting out the whiteboard for another.

Yeah, went through it with three groups so far (none of which rage quit amazingly).

First never got past chilling bubbles, second just cleared chilling bubbles when someone had to go help their FC, and the third cleared bubbles and started working out the tethers before someone had to leave. Nice progress all in all.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think so, this seems very much like its own thing.

Yeah, this is gonna be another side content bit they've got in their holsters if it's successful, sort of like Deep Dungeon or Eureka/Bozja-esque content. I think it's something they'll be willing to bring back a lot, since it's a much smaller resource investment compared to something like Zadnor while still giving people something to do for a month or two.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

1stGear posted:

Variant Dungeon is cool as heck. Probably too much work to do for dungeons in an base expansion, but I wonder if this is the plan for patch dungeons going forward.

I really like all the little lore things in there. Everybody loves a choose your own adventure.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So what are the general difficulty levels of the criterions? I'm thinking of getting a friend of mine who's had some bad group experiences that made her pretty gun-shy about continuing back into things with some content we can do as a duo.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cleretic posted:

So what are the general difficulty levels of the criterions? I'm thinking of getting a friend of mine who's had some bad group experiences that made her pretty gun-shy about continuing back into things with some content we can do as a duo.

A guildie in tpt said it was equivalent to EX4

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

It's a clever way to get extra use out of assets. Fighting the same boss but in a different location can make it feel fairly different. And they even get high end content out of it too, though I haven't delved into that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

A guildie in tpt said it was equivalent to EX4

Is that Regular rear end, or Savage rear end? And what about the other one?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I was considering resubbing for Criterion, but a friend said that the only reward was a single mount and another way to get materia. The base version would be content for content's sake, but that doesn't seem like much of a reward for Savage-level work.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

oh right that's the acronym isn't it lol

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Offkorn posted:

Yeah, went through it with three groups so far (none of which rage quit amazingly).

First never got past chilling bubbles, second just cleared chilling bubbles when someone had to go help their FC, and the third cleared bubbles and started working out the tethers before someone had to leave. Nice progress all in all.

It's so lovely to have something like this where we don't need to wrangle eight people or worry about weekly lockouts. We've figured out the triangle of puffs, tethers is what I need to do some sketches to visualize. We've had enough one-person-survives after that that everything afterward looks pretty manageable for a while (eight puffs looked scary as heck at first, I have suspicions about how that develops but I'll have to see more after it to be sure). We just need to do the first cleanly (it was only just before one person had to go pick up her kid that we realized how to avoid eating a donut, which makes the following aoe/bleed survivable) and figure out how to do the second and then we see what else comes at us.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cleretic posted:

Oh I have no idea, I don't even extreme

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Regular rear end feels comparable to EX or Savage. No idea what Savage is like. Same thing but tighter? They add even more mechanics?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bruceski posted:

Regular rear end feels comparable to EX or Savage. No idea what Savage is like. Same thing but tighter? They add even more mechanics?

So far Variant Dungeons are perfectly fine content that will be enjoyable for just about anyone. Criterion Dungeons are 4 player choose your path content hard enough that nobody has a world first for every boss yet, Savage Criterion is the same thing but you can't die at all and have a much stricter time limit.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

New chunk of hildy already off to a great start

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

wonderful creature

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

So far Variant Dungeons are perfectly fine content that will be enjoyable for just about anyone. Criterion Dungeons are 4 player choose your path content hard enough that nobody has a world first for every boss yet, Savage Criterion is the same thing but you can't die at all and have a much stricter time limit.

Criterion Dungeons are choose your path? We spawned in at the mount boss with no choice.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Bruceski posted:

Criterion Dungeons are choose your path? We spawned in at the mount boss with no choice.

Ah, someone must have misinformed me then somewhere. I was reporting what I'd heard.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, the Criterion versions are only a single path, with the same set of bosses. The Variant version is the only one that allows you to go through different paths.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jjac posted:

New chunk of hildy already off to a great start

Regarding your screenshot what jacket is that

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dryzen posted:

wonderful creature

That's from getting all the journal entries, right? Can you clarify how you get those? My brother and I both went left, made a different second choice (changing the second boss slightly) and still got A Key Memory. Then we ran it together and went left again made a different (for me, not him) choice at the second point, had a slightly different route (one pack of enemies) and I got A Spot in the Sunlight. Wasn't able to check with him before he logged.

I don't want solutions if things are actual puzzles (that eyes riddle...), but I'd at least like to know what I should be looking at influencing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Bruceski posted:

That's from getting all the journal entries, right? Can you clarify how you get those? My brother and I both went left, made a different second choice (changing the second boss slightly) and still got A Key Memory. Then we ran it together and went left again made a different (for me, not him) choice at the second point, had a slightly different route (one pack of enemies) and I got A Spot in the Sunlight. Wasn't able to check with him before he logged.

I don't want solutions if things are actual puzzles (that eyes riddle...), but I'd at least like to know what I should be looking at influencing.

All of the Journal Entries are related to how you reach the final boss of a path, you get some from doing the puzzle for each path, and some from making slightly different decisions puzzle or not. 4 Journal Entries per path.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Yes it is and uhhhhhh each path has 4 different outcomes that are influenced by various things you can do. Not all the answers to everything is in the same path, but most things are just choosing between the options available. There is one "secret" thing that is vaguely hinted at in other journal entries. There are some choices that do not influence the ending you get.

Sorry if anything in this is too heavy handed, but I think this is generic enough cause I went in having a vague idea of it being structured this way and figured out everything else with some friends without looking anything up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dryzen posted:

Yes it is and uhhhhhh each path has 4 different outcomes that are influenced by various things you can do. Not all the answers to everything is in the same path, but most things are just choosing between the options available. There is one "secret" thing that is vaguely hinted at in other journal entries. There are some choices that do not influence the ending you get.

Sorry if anything in this is too heavy handed, but I think this is generic enough cause I went in having a vague idea of it being structured this way and figured out everything else with some friends without looking anything up.

Nah I think that's what I needed. Is each entry tied to a path, or do you get them in the same order (of the 4 for each route) regardless?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

They're ordered in the journal in the same left to right order of the doors

I lied they're out of order for some reason but still in groups at least lol

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Nessus posted:

Regarding your screenshot what jacket is that

Lawless Enforcer's Jacket

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the variant paths are very cool. if you like light puzzle solving definitely give them a shot blind - I looked up one of them and while I wouldn't have gotten it on my own the friends I was running with figured it out anyway.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So far I have 6/12 endings and I think I know what I need for 2 more. Pretty stumped beyond that but maybe there's more clues to be found.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jjac posted:

Lawless Enforcer's Jacket
I meant the other one, I should have clarified.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Nessus posted:

I meant the other one, I should have clarified.

Varsity Jacket

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I solved the eyes, I actually had the solution I'd just forgotten half of it. Now I just have one more on the left to figure out. Taking the other second choice and solving the riddle again didn't do it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i dont really have anything against the criterion (savage) having vanity rewards, thats in-line with a lot of top end content in this game, but making it drop a currency token and the only thing available to trade it for is the vanity earrings and a single grade x materia is kinda buckwild. its weirder than like, just making the earring tied to the cheevo

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My thoughts on this patch's content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I really love that (6.25) Nanamo ended up being the first leader we adventured with. Kan-E and Raubahn want to so bad as well it's so cute