Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MikeCrotch posted:

What are people's win rates in DMU draft btw? Currently around 58% but only managed like 12 drafts due to moving house, trying to cram some more in now

I have no idea, I don't keep track of these things. But, I've had 2 trophies and a couple 6-3 runs, and only one real blowout. I've probably done about the same number of drafts as you or thereabouts. Definitely feels like DMU has been one of my more successful formats since I started with STX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MikeCrotch posted:

What are people's win rates in DMU draft btw? Currently around 58% but only managed like 12 drafts due to moving house, trying to cram some more in now
I'm 70/70 I believe - my record on 17L is 63/768, but I had one draft i forgot to turn the thing on for the gameplay which was a trophy lol.

I might eb mission one more in which case it's almost certainly negative.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I had an absolutely brutal go of things this time around.

Game Record: 157 - 119 (56.9%)
Match Record: 86 - 56 (60.6%)
Total Events: 38 (6 Trophies)

Net gems per event: 102.89

Basically, I paid 6k gems for nearly the entire set of rares/mythics. This is the worst set performance that I've had since I started serious drafting in Kaldheim. Most sets I'm in the 500+ net gems per event.

On the other hand, this set had the most events I've ever done, which means that the game play was very good.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Legit Businessman posted:

I had an absolutely brutal go of things this time around.

Game Record: 157 - 119 (56.9%)
Match Record: 86 - 56 (60.6%)
Total Events: 38 (6 Trophies)

Net gems per event: 102.89

Basically, I paid 6k gems for nearly the entire set of rares/mythics. This is the worst set performance that I've had since I started serious drafting in Kaldheim. Most sets I'm in the 500+ net gems per event.

On the other hand, this set had the most events I've ever done, which means that the game play was very good.
i really feel for u

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

i really feel for u

Well, I mean it's somewhat concerning to have a swing of -15000 gems, performance wise from SNC.

I do my part on the discord to help. :smith:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Legit Businessman posted:

Well, I mean it's somewhat concerning to have a swing of -15000 gems, performance wise from SNC.

I do my part on the discord to help. :smith:
It's fine, I just thought that complaining over a positive gemrate at all was funny considering how badly I at least was doing, and that didn't even feel that bad! I had a lot of fun!

I get that for you, it's a very noticeable downgrade, but it IS a pretty tough format. I wonder if now that I steeled myself in DMU, I can crush the next simpler set that rolls around?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
58% in bo1 which is worse than usual for me, but up about 25k gems ignoring packs thanks to good runs in competitive events.

I've only done 1 draft in the past month, just didn't find the format interesting and instead prepped for Standard and Historic to try and qualify for the Arena PT.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MikeCrotch posted:

110-96 over 35 events (53.4%) with 5 trophies.

Up from SNC's 108-110 over 34 events (51.92%) with 2 trophies

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
how do i get my stats, tia

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

how do i get my stats, tia

If you have a 17lands account and the app, it will automatically log your drafts to your account. (I guess for win rate the Untapped.gg app would also track that for you, that's what Jim Davis uses)

I keep a separate spreadsheet though because sometimes it bugs out for me and misses games

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

I've only done 1 draft in the past month, just didn't find the format interesting

why

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

52% so far, compared to 49% for SNC and 52% for NEO.

I pretty much always rare draft to try to get to rare completion in as few drafts as possible, should be a couple of percent higher if I drafted optimally, but I'm pretty burnt out by that point most of the time. Like my last 2 SNC drafts had no rare drafting and I went 7-2, 4-3, but that's no where enough data to extrapolate how well I'll "actually" do and I would have to keep on drafting SNC to find out so I just stopped myself right there lol.

I'm on my 10th DMU draft and I think proportionally I've drafted boros aggro almost as much as I went for some variation of brokers in SNC. I have yet to successfully manage any base blue or black decks, or a viable domain deck. Did get 2 chaplain decks that went 3-3 and 5-3 though.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i dont have numbers but just lke every set ever i basically feast on noobs undefeated until like plat and then start losing and go to constructed to preserve my ego and gems

wei
Jul 27, 2006

probably biased because of my winrate, but there aren't that many different decks and ingame decisions were more impactful in SNC and HBG

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
This is the first time I've ever felt overwhelmed by the amount of options available for Limited Magic. I don't know though....I find myself uninterested in Alchemy Dominaria or adjusted SNC - the modified SNC would have been more fun and fitting at the end of its natural set life, now I just have no interest in revisiting it.

I've really enjoyed Dom U limited as challenging as it is. I just recently had a draft where I opened with the white Defiler and found myself backed into a Red-White splash Black aggro deck, figuring that I'd probably get run over by the ubiquitous Domain decks and got my first Trophy with an aggro deck. It really is a great format.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i dont have numbers but just lke every set ever i basically feast on noobs undefeated until like plat and then start losing and go to constructed to preserve my ego and gems

This is pretty much my experience lmao

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
57.1% winrate in DMU. My winrate has been on a slow increase from when I started tracking it in VOW at a pretty bad 48% but this set was a ~5% jump from HBG and SNC. Definitely felt the format jived with me even after not finding it that interesting in spoiler season. Felt easier to get a deck to come together but also easier to completely trainwreck.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

62% in bo1 and 69.7% match win rate in bo3. so pretty good results in bo1, kinda mediocre for bo3 (compared to other sets). i havent really drafted since eating poo poo on day of the 2 open which really deflated my spirits

wei posted:

probably biased because of my winrate, but there aren't that many different decks and ingame decisions were more impactful in SNC and HBG

i felt like i local maximaed myself, as sam black would say, into only playing repossession soup which did get very old after a while

kalel posted:

an exercise for the reader: without looking ahead, give me your thoughts on the first picks of pack 1 in this draft. this was my first DMU draft since since release week, these picks was really tough and I'm curious if people would arrive at the same choices (at least until pick 7 which turns the draft into an on-rails RW bonanza).

the games were pretty funny too, especially the last 3 games which were like a progression through the final bosses of the format. what a deck.

terror on pick 2 is the only meaningful difference for me. those were some tough picks to navigate tho, very nicely done

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

40 lbs to freedom posted:

:hmmyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I started the limited season in Silver and got to Diamond 3 before reset... maybe someday Mythic

That reminds me, I wonder how Jim Davis is doing in his "Bronze to Worlds" campaign

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I started the limited season in Silver and got to Diamond 3 before reset... maybe someday Mythic

That reminds me, I wonder how Jim Davis is doing in his "Bronze to Worlds" campaign
"this is a VERY tough format" repeated x100

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
my draft winrate almost always trends to within a couple of percentage points of 50%, which suggests that I find my level at low platinum - but equally, it suggests that without putting in a lot more money/time, I'm not doing substantially better than a coin flip. My best was... M21, then VOW, both of which scored 50% - though my 17L record is often missing a draft or two given I don't let 17L run on startup and occasionally forget to turn it on.

I usually do somewhere between 25 and 50 events, so a LOT clearly depends on whether I'm largely getting 20 or 1 win vs 2 or 3 wins on my bad performances. Which tracks.

I'm finding this format very hard to make sure I don't punt, I feel like there's a stronger than usual dichotomy between good grind/control decks and good aggro decks, and I've more often than not been doing the GBU control/recursion shell, but if you don't get a good start and your opponent does, you can easily just get run over with that, and it keeps happening to me.

Last time I chose Silverback Elder over Baird P1P1 and I think Baird could have given me more wins based on the deck I might have had, which feels bad in retrospect, because Elder gave me a couple of very good games but I would up missing the early game things I needed and regretting it.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I’m 77-50 after 19 events, 60.6%, 5 trophies. I’ve enjoyed the format but am probably about tapped out

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you have a 17lands account and the app, it will automatically log your drafts to your account. (I guess for win rate the Untapped.gg app would also track that for you, that's what Jim Davis uses)

I keep a separate spreadsheet though because sometimes it bugs out for me and misses games

worth noting that they both only track games played on desktop so if like me you tend to draft on desktop and then play the games while youre out and about you wont get useful stats from it, its only good for posting replays of the drafts for review

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Having fun with this goofy grixis deck. 3-1 so far :shrug:

https://sealeddeck.tech/10qx2tHN3m

With like a month to go till the next set I'm usually bored of drafting by now but I'm still at it for some reason

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Platinum rankings seems to exert peculiar gravity on those that attain it. A league for the competent, but unremarkable. For the duelist on a union contract. The People's league.

I think it represents the plateau you reach just by reducing your technical mistakes down to the intractable human baseline, and that getting better from there starts being more a matter of deliberate thought than simple practice. But I wouldn't know.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Platinum is the point where a 40% win rate has you falling to the rank floor instead of slowly but steadily climbing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bronze/silver should be three pips gained, gold/plat should be two, diamond should be one, and mythic is mythic. But they will never do that

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eikre posted:

Platinum rankings seems to exert peculiar gravity on those that attain it. A league for the competent, but unremarkable. For the duelist on a union contract. The People's league.

I think it represents the plateau you reach just by reducing your technical mistakes down to the intractable human baseline, and that getting better from there starts being more a matter of deliberate thought than simple practice. But I wouldn't know.

You go up 2 pips for a win at gold and only go down 1 for a loss. With a winrate of greater than 33% you can get to plat as long as you play enough, and really even less than that because you can't go down a sub-tier (ie gold 2 back to gold 3) if your wins come in streaks.

To get out of Platinum to Diamond you need a higher win rate since it's 1 pip up, 1 pip down, so there's a huge logjam of players stuck there because they have to win their way out of it.

Captain Invictus posted:

Bronze/silver should be three pips gained, gold/plat should be two, diamond should be one, and mythic is mythic. But they will never do that

At this point you might as well just give everyone a participation trophy lmao

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Oddly satisfying 100-67 over 26 drafts (21 premier bo1, 4 alchemy bo1, 1 quick draft). 6 trophies. 59.8% win rate. Think I lost about 6k gems overall. I have no idea how people are going positive with less than 70% win rate, but my runs were very feast or famine. I had six trophies but there were a lot of poo poo shows with 0, 1, or 2 wins to 3 losses that killed my profits. Oddly, I did the best overall in platinum with only a slight down turn in diamond in the premier drafts. Alchemy drafts burned me badly from a win perspective but I got decent constructed draft chaff from them - that wasn't intentional rare drafting I just picked a really lovely lane each time and ended up with garbage decks.

My best success was with sultai good stuff and BW sacrifice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lone Goat posted:

yes sure

it's not like ranked means anything at all, so why not

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The point of ranked is to get people coming back all the time because they like seeing the number go up, it's not actually for any sort of ranking.

If they wanted a ranking system they could just show people the raw Elo numbers. Giving people hard incontrovertible proof that they're not actually as good as they think they are would discourage them from grinding out games instead of encouraging them to do it more, it's the opposite of what you want.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jabor posted:

The point of ranked is to get people coming back all the time because they like seeing the number go up, it's not actually for any sort of ranking.

If they wanted a ranking system they could just show people the raw Elo numbers. Giving people hard incontrovertible proof that they're not actually as good as they think they are would discourage them from grinding out games instead of encouraging them to do it more, it's the opposite of what you want.

MTGO used to have ELO back in the day and it was as exactly as demoralising as you think lol

Well that and if you lost the first round of a draft you just pissed ten bux up the wall

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MikeCrotch posted:

MTGO used to have ELO back in the day and it was as exactly as demoralising as you think lol

Well that and if you lost the first round of a draft you just pissed ten bux up the wall

it still has elo that you can see at any time

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

They do, at the end of each month. Gold and packs.

Also are you 70 years old or something

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Back in my day we only gave out prizes to the people who were truly skilled at online wizard poker.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Sure, give me more stuff. I don’t play enough to get out of diamond.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The fact that you get 3 pips of loss protection on rank up in plat and diamond is already too generous, imo.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Ariong posted:

Back in my day we only gave out prizes to the people who were truly skilled at online wizard poker.
Bring back ante.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MTGA with triple triad victory rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

You go up 2 pips for a win at gold and only go down 1 for a loss. With a winrate of greater than 33% you can get to plat as long as you play enough, and really even less than that because you can't go down a sub-tier (ie gold 2 back to gold 3) if your wins come in streaks.

oh lol that makes complete sense, wish I had taken better notice of that initial blitz up the ranks at the start of the season before I opened my mouth.