Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

fawning deference posted:

They also badly need somebody on the team who has won anything at all. Palat is fine, I think the problem is using as their first line left winger. Palat should be on the third line and the top six should have actual scoring talent on it in his place.

Maybe? Devils badly need one more top six winger to fill Hughes' left wing spot, and then you can have

Good player-Hughes-Holtz
Sharangovich-Hischier-Bratt
Palat-Mercer-Tatar (off wing?)
Wood-Haula-Bastian

That looks better

I hear Patrick Kane is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Glad he's working out, he seemed like a good guy. Just didn't fit Sullivan's system at all

He fit it fine, the Pens just didn't like having an entire defense of guys who aren't physical.

Woulda preferred to move Petts or Dumoulin instead of Marino but so it goes

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:lol:
https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1582418490405052416

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i think they're still going to be fine. their defense hasn't been atrocious and will tighten up. their goaltending has been atrocious. Gustavsson was even worse/more cursed than Fleury last night. he let in:

-weird rear end tip
https://www.nhl.com/video/meyers-tips-in-opening-goal/t-335386016/c-13204433
-an unbelievably soft backhand goal
https://www.nhl.com/video/girard-scores-goal/t-335386016/c-13204914
-a Tommy Salo special
https://www.nhl.com/video/rantanen-regains-the-lead/t-335386016/c-13206407
-another weird rear end tip
https://www.nhl.com/video/mackinnon-scores-ppg/t-335386016/c-13208117

they still have a core top 4 forwards of Kaprizov-Zuke and Eriksson Ek-Boldy. Boldy in particular looks really good. I think they'll be okay as long as Fleury/Gus get back to "basically competent/bad" instead of "loving hell".

having said that, losing 3 games with that goaltending can really sap a team and get them playing bad otherwise and cause a bad streak. they looked so deflated after a couple of those goals after playing pretty well against the defending champs.

They'll be fine. If you take away the really weird rear end tips they were playing the Avs really tight until the 3rd period and they just deflated again. They start putting together 60 consecutive minutes of how they were playing in the first 40 and they'll manage to win a lot more games than they lose. That soft backhand had some really good screening happening and he was already moving right when it snuck in left.

The "too many" call on the delayed penalty was just incredibly disappointing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1582448676181798913

2 mins of Panarin being a wizard.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

He fit it fine, the Pens just didn't like having an entire defense of guys who aren't physical.

Woulda preferred to move Petts or Dumoulin instead of Marino but so it goes

that's fair, I guess a better way to phrase it is that it seems like Sullivan wanted someone who could run PP2 and sub in on PP1 when Letang gets hurt and Marino never really had his offensive instincts develop to where he could fit and the Rutta signing made him expendable for the PK.
He was pretty good at everything but not great in a way that they could justify keeping him given his contract.

Granted I do wish they'd kept him and found a Chris Wideman type for the third pairing but if Petry can find his 10 goal/40-point form I'm sure I'll quiet down

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm predisposed to like Petry because he's not Mike Matheson and that's worth a lot, but I'm still not a big fan of the Pens offseason strategy of "we're the oldest team in the NHL, let's get even older".

Sullivan seems obsessed with vets even by NHL coach standards, and it's probably his biggest weakness as a coach. That or failing to understand what defenseman skill set fits best with his own system.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm predisposed to like Petry because he's not Mike Matheson and that's worth a lot, but I'm still not a big fan of the Pens offseason strategy of "we're the oldest team in the NHL, let's get even older".

Sullivan seems obsessed with vets even by NHL coach standards, and it's probably his biggest weakness as a coach. That or failing to understand what defenseman skill set fits best with his own system.

"Just do it like Kris does, guys, this isn't hard. You just get to the end of your 2 minute shift, outskate the forechecker into the corner, use your freakish aggression and strength to hold off everyone slamming into you and skate effortlessly out of the zone. Why is this so hard for all of you?!"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
:lol: but nah it's not that, it's actually the opposite, at least before Petry he's always deprecated the skating-and-puck-moving style and preferred slower steadier guys (while still expecting them to pinch and take it deep a lot). I'm torn between viewing ditching Marino in favor of Petry on the right side as a move in the right direction in that regard, and viewing it as a move in the wrong direction because they moved out a 25 year old and a 27 year old and brought in a 35 year old and a 33 year old. Sully, I love you but what your system needs is defensemen who can skate and it's a young man's skill.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

dude looks great so far. creating a lot mroe with his feet and skating than he was last year

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

that's fair, I guess a better way to phrase it is that it seems like Sullivan wanted someone who could run PP2 and sub in on PP1 when Letang gets hurt and Marino never really had his offensive instincts develop to where he could fit and the Rutta signing made him expendable for the PK.
He was pretty good at everything but not great in a way that they could justify keeping him given his contract.

Granted I do wish they'd kept him and found a Chris Wideman type for the third pairing but if Petry can find his 10 goal/40-point form I'm sure I'll quiet down

Yeah I like Wideman and he seems like the type of guy that teams should be stacking on their third pair.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think Sulilvan has any unusual vet obsession compared to any other coach. Young players that join the Pens and show something get put into situations where they can succeed. Ones that don't get limited minutes or sent down. Like when Jake first came up (years ago granted) the Sullivan immediately put him in the top six. And POJ is getting plenty of opportunity now even though they'd likely get steadier and more reliable results from Ruhwedel.

That said, I do like Petry because he's got more poise than Matheson and he has a mean streak that the Pens d could use. I think adding the physical element that Rutta/Petry bring was a good idea, so long as they aren't possession blackholes - and they shouldn't be. I think going all in one thing with your defense is a risky thing to do, and the Pens were previously too all in on soft puck moving d. Now they've got more physicality, but still should have enough puck moving.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I like Wideman and he seems like the type of guy that teams should be stacking on their third pair.

I don't think Sulilvan has any unusual vet obsession compared to any other coach. Young players that join the Pens and show something get put into situations where they can succeed. Ones that don't get limited minutes or sent down. Like when Jake first came up (years ago granted) the Sullivan immediately put him in the top six. And POJ is getting plenty of opportunity now even though they'd likely get steadier and more reliable results from Ruhwedel.

That said, I do like Petry because he's got more poise than Matheson and he has a mean streak that the Pens d could use. I think adding the physical element that Rutta/Petry bring was a good idea, so long as they aren't possession blackholes - and they shouldn't be. I think going all in one thing with your defense is a risky thing to do, and the Pens were previously too all in on soft puck moving d. Now they've got more physicality, but still should have enough puck moving.

what really gently caress'em up after the cup runs was trying to get physical with the likes of Jack Johnson, Gudbranson, etc.
just absolutely one dimensional poo poo players, I guess based solely on the metric that more hits=more physical. I do think this current crop is a better attempt at understanding you don't just want a d-man that does big hits, because big hits mean they don't have the puck and odds are they aren't getting it after the hit.

Rutta for instance, despite being huge and regarded as physical, has never cracked 100 hits. That's exactly the kind of player you want to see on the backend for this system. I'm cautiously optimistic that a lesson was learned

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jhet posted:

They'll be fine. If you take away the really weird rear end tips they were playing the Avs really tight until the 3rd period and they just deflated again. They start putting together 60 consecutive minutes of how they were playing in the first 40 and they'll manage to win a lot more games than they lose. That soft backhand had some really good screening happening and he was already moving right when it snuck in left.

The "too many" call on the delayed penalty was just incredibly disappointing.
The Rantanen goal in particular seemed pretty lackadaisical to me, and kind of proof of the old adage of making your own luck with hard work.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Remember when Panarin was a Hawk and a Jacket. Lol who is dumb enough to trade away that work of art

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

RC Cola posted:

Remember when Panarin was a Hawk and a Jacket. Lol who is dumb enough to trade away that work of art

The hawks. For Saad like straight up IIRC?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cocaine Bear posted:

Kane wanted his buddy back as I recall

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Simplex posted:

The Rantanen goal in particular seemed pretty lackadaisical to me, and kind of proof of the old adage of making your own luck with hard work.

You’re not wrong. The difference for me is Minnesota has clear systems and tactics and are starting to click. They’re just really fragile emotionally if that makes sense. It’s starting to turn and the team defense is looking better than it did against NYR and LA that I’m not going to worry until it’s more than a few games in. I’m still expecting the team to turn it around.

Meanwhile in Seattle it looks like absolute garbage. Carolina was dominant all night and didn’t ever look like they were going to give up a goal. I was sitting and complaining about how they couldn’t even manage to string together three passes when they finally did on the PP and only goal. They spent the first 10-15 minutes barely getting out of their own D zone.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cap could go up by $4 mill next off season if escrow is paid off as expected

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1582476660703911936

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jhet posted:

You’re not wrong. The difference for me is Minnesota has clear systems and tactics and are starting to click. They’re just really fragile emotionally if that makes sense. It’s starting to turn and the team defense is looking better than it did against NYR and LA that I’m not going to worry until it’s more than a few games in. I’m still expecting the team to turn it around.

I mean Fleury is old and bad and... Fleury, but I'm sure they'll be fine as long as this F Gustavsson guy isn't terrible *checks hockey db* okay then. Well, high scoring games are pretty fun regardless.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I thought Panarin wanted out of CBJ, the Hawks trading him was ridiculous though. I think they had some cap concerns but those were self-inflicted anyway.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yes Panarin went to free agency rather than re-sign in Columbus
Rumor was he wanted to go to NY all along

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
At what point do the Wild just say gently caress it at call up Wallstedt?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tarbrush posted:

At what point do the Wild just say gently caress it at call up Wallstedt?

I'm hoping after he plays about 15 games in Iowa. He needs to adapt to the ice and NHL-adjacent game. I'm honestly expecting about a .895-.900 s% at best right now. They have some work to do to get there, I think MAF is somewhere around .750.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone knew he was going to New York and people were calling out Columbus for getting nothing on a playoff push instead of flipping him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pungry posted:

The Panthers went all-in last year when making the Giroux trade. The trade for Tkachuk was to try and align all the superstars on the team around the same age since Huberdeau and Weegar are 29 while everyone left is between 23-25. In theory, they're trying to set up for the following next few years and punting on this year while they try and figure out what to do about Bobrovsky and their other big out-of-place contracts like Hornquist which is why their defense corps might be the worst in the league with Ekblad, and definitely worst in the league without him. I am in no way condoning this plan, simply explaining that is what GM Bill Zito is trying to do. I'd much rather they have tried to win the cup again this year instead of this since they have no picks left, but whatever.

This is honestly a really good analysis / explanation of the situation.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Levitate posted:

Yes Panarin went to free agency rather than re-sign in Columbus
Rumor was he wanted to go to NY all along
The rumour before was that he was going to Florida along with Bobrovsky.

Also at the time of the Hawks trade a lot of people thought his numbers were a product of Kane's.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone knew he was going to New York and people were calling out Columbus for getting nothing on a playoff push instead of flipping him.

Worth it for that amazing Tampa series.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I remember when Tarasenko pitched signing Panarin for the Blues and Hitchcock (I think it was him) basically said "Who cares about this floaty Russian?"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1582033208962473985

I hope he was interviewing for a new job.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'm excited for the first team to fire their coach and replace them with like Rick Tocchet or Mike Babcock or Michel Therrien or somebody.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cocaine Bear posted:

Basically, along with some spare change (although Motte turned out alright eventually; Columbus traded him to Vancouver with Jussi Jokinen for Thomas Vanek):

To CBJ: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, 2017 6th
To CHI: Brandon Saad, Anton Forsberg, 2018 5th

http://nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_player/Panarin,Artemi

Koopa Kid posted:

I thought Panarin wanted out of CBJ, the Hawks trading him was ridiculous though. I think they had some cap concerns but those were self-inflicted anyway.

Panarin didn't "want out of CBJ" as much as he "wanted into NYR" as Levitate posted. He liked Columbus by all accounts, it just fell into the category of "Wasn't New York".

He was also the only one the CBJ tried to bring back- it came out they let :cop: walk because he wanted $Texas and had Elvis waiting in the wings and was revealed much later they never reached out to Duchene. I think their final offer was $13.1M per/8.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Canucks are halfway towards blowing another multi-goal lead (They got a multi-goal lead)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'm excited for the first team to fire their coach and replace them with like Rick Tocchet or Mike Babcock or Michel Therrien or somebody.

Is there anyone at all decent besides Barry Trotz right now? I'm struggling to think of any.

No, I'm not asking for my own purposes, why do you ask?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there anyone at all decent besides Barry Trotz right now? I'm struggling to think of any.

No, I'm not asking for my own purposes, why do you ask?

No, not really. That’s kind of the problem. There’s also the problem of it being more difficult to recruit from assistant coaches from other teams in the middle of the season. It happens in the off season only it feels like.

I’m not sure you can even count Trotz on the available list.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

if trotz goes to another team this season (especially in the first half) I am gonna die mad about it

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FBS posted:

if torts goes to another team this season (especially in the first half) I am gonna die happy about it

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I've been opening Gordle with Xhekaj every day just waiting for it to hit.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1582514053863600128

uh oh, panthers

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Ekblads lower body confirmed to be made out of 100% pure Marian gaborik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't know what Grade 2 means, in terms of groin strains. Is that better or worse than Grade 1.