Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I feel like ranked wins count a little bit more each successive week. By November they’re pretty meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
All this just reads like to me that some folks' teams are crappy and they mad

Go Vols

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching the game for the third time

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I have no room to argue against that point, my team lost to one that had just fired its head coach :cripes:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm watching the game for the third time

I started it today for the third time too, I work from home and I follow a YouTube channel that posts every game in full without commercials, it owns

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m happy for you all but come on now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Warbird posted:

I’m happy for you all but come on now.

After that game I was reminded that growing up my mom had a officially licensed and retail sold VHS copy of the 1991 Miracle at South Bend and that Bama/UT 2022 would absolutely have gotten that treatment.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I will say beating Oregon 70-21 to break a 12 year losing streak was extremely cathartic and that game was a laugher, if it had been close and we had won on the final play I'd probably still be watching highlights from time to time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Soul Glo posted:

All this just reads like to me that some folks' teams are crappy and they mad

Go Vols

You can just say Tennessee is good and point to their actual play on the field, you don’t have to pretend that beating a lovely Florida team that fell into a top 25 ranking is proof of anything.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can just say Tennessee is good and point to their actual play on the field, you don’t have to pretend that beating a lovely Florida team that fell into a top 25 ranking is proof of anything.

Yeah Florida is capital N, capital G “Not Good” and not blowing us out with a defense less resistive than air itself is one hell of an indictment.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Most talk shows and announcers refer to teams in terms of how teams were ranked when they played them. Part of the reason they previously ranked teams aren’t ranked or are now ranked lower is because they lost to whoever is being talked about.

You can care about the stat or not, who cares, but it is something that’s discussed in that light so it is what it is.

This is a dumb discussion.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

I am beginning to believe that Tennessee can beat Georgia and win out

Someone convince me Georgia bleeding against Mizzou was a fluke and not a real show of weakness

It was a show of weakness in the sense that...

- UGA didn't really run the ball well, which had theretofore been an ongoing concern
- UGA didn't have any explosive pass plays
- UGA played with their food until the last possible moment

Since then, UGA has killed Auburn and Vanderbilt, admittedly two bad teams. During these games,

- UGA mixed up the RB rotation, giving Branson Robinson more touches, and has run the ball better
- UGA still doesn't throw bombs. It's Stetson, so we are who we are in this regard
- Let Auburn vaguely hang around for a half but then closed the door, and blew Vandy out from the opening kickoff

So....I unno. Team's played better in recent weeks. They also looked like one of the greatest teams of all time through the first 3. Then they didn't.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

You can care about the stat or not, who cares, but it is something that’s discussed in that light so it is what it is.

Oh it’s definitely the standard and it speaks to the body of work throughout the season, but it’s ok to point out that it’s flawed because early season rankings are traaaaaash and stupid.

Let writers write clickbait articles all they want, but it’s dumb to actually rank teams before like week 3 or 4.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is for sure flawed and trash but to pretend like “oh man why is anyone even discussing ranked wins like that” and act like it’s some silly outlandish thing when that’s literally how most places discuss it is a bit dumb.

e: I think week 3-4 is even a bit early. Around now is when I think they should come out.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Most talk shows and announcers refer to teams in terms of how teams were ranked when they played them. Part of the reason they previously ranked teams aren’t ranked or are now ranked lower is because they lost to whoever is being talked about.

That’s why the ESPN scores lock ranking by week iirc

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Is for sure flawed and trash but to pretend like “oh man why is anyone even discussing ranked wins like that” and act like it’s some silly outlandish thing when that’s literally how most places discuss it is a bit dumb.

e: I think week 3-4 is even a bit early. Around now is when I think they should come out.

I think non-SEC fans dislike time-of-game ranking stats in large part because of the perceived bias in the AP polls toward the SEC.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Seaniqua posted:

I don't know how many Iowa folks we have anymore, but I'm going to be in Iowa City overnight this weekend. I think I'm gonna take some time to go check out the stadium and the surrounding area, since I've never been. Does anyone know if there's like a definitive thing I should eat or do while I'm there? I'll have most of Saturday evening and Sunday morning to myself.

These are all downtown:

Dinner: Pullman Diner/Bar, Big Grove Brewery, Baroncini, Onnuri Korean BBQ, Jiang Hu Asian Street Food
Breakfast: Hamburg Inn, Bluebird Diner, Encounter Cafe, Dandy Lion

Honestly I’d say that going and spending the evening on the ped mall is the best way to spend the evening, it’s got a lot of good food and places to drink, as long as you have a high tolerance for college kids. If not, Big Grove is a great place to hang out with indoor/outdoor space and lots of beer options. There’s plenty of good breakfast around, Hamburg Inn is the “famous” brunch spot because of all of the politicians that have stopped there but all of the other places I mentioned are probably better food-wise.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane would beat Bama.

Bama is super overrated this year.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

DC Murderverse posted:

These are all downtown:

Dinner: Pullman Diner/Bar, Big Grove Brewery, Baroncini, Onnuri Korean BBQ, Jiang Hu Asian Street Food
Breakfast: Hamburg Inn, Bluebird Diner, Encounter Cafe, Dandy Lion

Honestly I’d say that going and spending the evening on the ped mall is the best way to spend the evening, it’s got a lot of good food and places to drink, as long as you have a high tolerance for college kids. If not, Big Grove is a great place to hang out with indoor/outdoor space and lots of beer options. There’s plenty of good breakfast around, Hamburg Inn is the “famous” brunch spot because of all of the politicians that have stopped there but all of the other places I mentioned are probably better food-wise.

Sweet, thanks. I don't think breakfast will be an option but I'll try to hit one of those up for dinner on Saturday.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Tad SG posted:

I think non-SEC fans dislike time-of-game ranking stats in large part because of the perceived bias in the AP polls toward the SEC.

I loving love it. Ruining #6 Aggie's season will be forever bliss

downout
Jul 6, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

It was a show of weakness in the sense that...

- UGA didn't really run the ball well, which had theretofore been an ongoing concern
- UGA didn't have any explosive pass plays
- UGA played with their food until the last possible moment

Since then, UGA has killed Auburn and Vanderbilt, admittedly two bad teams. During these games,

- UGA mixed up the RB rotation, giving Branson Robinson more touches, and has run the ball better
- UGA still doesn't throw bombs. It's Stetson, so we are who we are in this regard
- Let Auburn vaguely hang around for a half but then closed the door, and blew Vandy out from the opening kickoff

So....I unno. Team's played better in recent weeks. They also looked like one of the greatest teams of all time through the first 3. Then they didn't.

I could be really wrong, but I think scores and mutual opponents can suggest a few things about teams. Looking at Auburn v PSU and Auburn v UGA is pretty interesting (ignoring injuries, etc). The end scores of the two games are similar, but UGA held Auburn to 0 points in the 1st half while PSU's defense was able to only hold them to two FG in the 1st half. So UGA's defense is better than PSU. Looking at the whole season, PSU has mostly held teams to under 20 points, but clearly a good offense can score against them (see UM and purdue). UGA has clearly held lovely teams to a much lower average although Oregon might be the exception that proves they do have a better defense.

On the other hand, PSU's offense is lovely although it seems to have taken ~4 games for teams to figure out how to defend against them (did NW holding them to 17 expose something?). Whereas UGA seems to have a lot more offensive firepower and consistently gets over 35-40 points a game, but maybe they've had some weaknesses exposed over the last few weeks too.

UT clearly understands they can and probably will go out and put up 40+ points on most teams (pitt the weird exception to that). So can UGA put up 35+ against UT while holding them to under 35? It's close IMO. Clearly UGA's defense is better, but ignoring Oregon putting up points on a defense-weak pac12, most teams UGA has played so far don't have the offensive capabilities of UT. UT just boat raced bama, so clearly they can challenge a team.

But given bama's record of penalties, which just shot themselves in the foot, I think I'd take UGA by like 2 points and maybe another 3 since it's a home game for like UGA +5.

downout fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 19, 2022

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spacebump posted:

Tulane would beat Bama.

Bama is super overrated this year.

that tulane team that lost to southern miss and who beat kstate and houston by a combined 10 points?

drat, the gravedance is merciless

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Declan MacManus posted:

that tulane team that lost to southern miss and who beat kstate and houston by a combined 10 points?

drat, the gravedance is merciless

Anything can happen in a rivalry game. Southern Miss just wanted the bell more this year.

Tulane beat Houston using their 3rd string QB.

Bama could only score 20 points on Texas. Texas Tech scored 37 on Texas. Texas Tech lost to Kstate by 9 points. KState scored 27 more points on Texas Tech than they could on Tulane's D. Tulane is one of two teams to hold Deuce Vaughn under 100 yards in his last 12 games.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 19, 2022

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Anything can happen in a rivalry game. Southern Miss just wanted the bell more this year.

Tulane beat Houston using their 3rd string QB.

Bama could only score 20 points on Texas. Texas Tech scored 37 on Texas. Texas Tech lost to Kstate by 9 points. KState scored 27 more points on Texas Tech than they could on Tulane's D. Tulane is one of two teams to hold Deuce Vaughn under 100 yards in his last 12 games.

:lol: It doesn't matter cuz this game will not happen unless bama loses 2 more and Tulane wins 5 more.

A tougher game to call, this week, is ASU @ stanford. It's currently +3 stanford. Both teams look like trash.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

downout posted:

(did NW holding them to 17 expose something?).

It sounds glib, but the tropical storm had a lot to do with it. That game was fumble city.

It might have been the only game at any level that looked like neither team actually wanted to play.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tennessee was up 28-10 at one point on Bama and Young got them back in it. Would Stetson be able to do the same if UT goes up by a similar margin?

I’m genuinely asking, idk how he’s played this year, I’ve only watched bits and pieces of UGA games.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Stetson has apparently been hurt the last few weeks, but he is a fine QB. The bigger issue was that our top WR is out and our second best is dealing with a bad case of turf toe so we were having to figure a few things out. I think everyone is scheduled back for the Florida game so that might help.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Sash! posted:

Purdue isn't even trains, they're the guys that used to make the trains. They don't need a lot of boilermakers these days.

That is flat out the meanest loving thing anyone has ever said

https://twitter.com/p_crawf/status/1582442065920544768

wernox fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 19, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

wernox posted:

That is flat out the meanest loving thing anyone has ever said

https://twitter.com/p_crawf/status/1582442065920544768

A crow told me there's more than corn in Indiana.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

My parent's live in Monticello for 20 years or so, watching Indiana Beach wither was sad.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1582550113771483136?s=20&t=hpQCEPi7ifkaDRFw7vfMWw

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee was up 28-10 at one point on Bama and Young got them back in it. Would Stetson be able to do the same if UT goes up by a similar margin?

I’m genuinely asking, idk how he’s played this year, I’ve only watched bits and pieces of UGA games.

I think their defense and discipline might be better than bama, but I haven't watched enough of their games to be certain either.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

and then this happened

https://twitter.com/rossadebrigade/status/1582728837749932032

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Idk why people are making note of this. There are usually a handful of homicides every year over the team one way or the other. I can think of at least 3 off the top of my head involving Bama and LSU fans around this time of the year.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Lmao, Day is out here describing 2017 Iowa-OSU as a scar that doesn’t go away when there are 3 total guys on the roster from back then. I would really really appreciate not having to sweat this one out, and my hope is that the lack of Greg Schiano and Urban in the building helps. We don’t seem to do the dumb “lose to 3rd tier Big Ten team” type thing since Urban got out and we started using actual quarterbacks.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
A high school classmate of mine had a baby boy on Saturday and his name is Hooker. Serious post

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Lmao, Day is out here describing 2017 Iowa-OSU as a scar that doesn’t go away when there are 3 total guys on the roster from back then. I would really really appreciate not having to sweat this one out, and my hope is that the lack of Greg Schiano and Urban in the building helps. We don’t seem to do the dumb “lose to 3rd tier Big Ten team” type thing since Urban got out and we started using actual quarterbacks.

Since we never get what we expect I'm calling for this game to end up with a score of 42-40, and I'd be really interested to see how Iowa got to either side of that in my imagined future.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

A high school classmate of mine had a baby boy on Saturday and his name is Hooker. Serious post

lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Oh come on. That poor kid, he couldn't at least go with Hendon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There was a running back a few years older than me at my high school named BJ Head