Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

70 hours in and I still make silly old mistakes. Needed nitrogen so I went off to the nearest spot while merrily building a train track and station system to transport it. Only after building the supporting pipe system towards the train station did I notice the absence of a pipe port. Lmao. Ended up just piping it all the way back, but at least I got a neat train out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Son of Rodney posted:

70 hours in and I still make silly old mistakes. Needed nitrogen so I went off to the nearest spot while merrily building a train track and station system to transport it. Only after building the supporting pipe system towards the train station did I notice the absence of a pipe port. Lmao. Ended up just piping it all the way back, but at least I got a neat train out of it.
You can build a fluid freight platform and transport fluid via train that way.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ardlen posted:

You can build a fluid freight platform and transport fluid via train that way.

lol wut

Man I'm dumb, but at least it's fun to realise how dumb and how it can be done better :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Son of Rodney posted:

lol wut

Man I'm dumb, but at least it's fun to realise how dumb and how it can be done better :v:

Fluid transport via train is pretty bad. You can package it and transport it better, but it's still bad. Actually transporting liquids via train just means you're moving the liquid/gas (hard to move) to the other materials (easy to move). If you do it in reverse you'll have a better time. Obviously ignore this if you're trying to build a monolithic megabase, though in that case you're still better just piping it across the map.

One of the hard lessons to learn was how shipping everything was terrible. The lack of logistics means you're only really good if you need a full car's worth of widgets. Much better to strategically place factories for locally-sourced bits and only ship the stuff made a few tiers down the chain. Without any way to allocate bits you wind up flooding a factory with screws (or whatever) and building five train stations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you want to lift a lot of liquid up high, is there any point it makes more sense to package and belt it up, or move it up by train, compared to using pumps on pipes?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

nielsm posted:

If you want to lift a lot of liquid up high, is there any point it makes more sense to package and belt it up, or move it up by train, compared to using pumps on pipes?

Surprisingly, the satisfactory wiki has already done this math:

https://satisfactory.fandom.com/wiki/Packager#Using_for_vertical_transport_of_fluids

Upshot is that it's generally not worth it unless you are building a giant tower factory for fun.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

has anybody tried setting up pumps on top of that big unfinished desert plateau and piping all over the map from there?

e: oh yeah, you'd need dozens of pipes to service everything :doh:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 9, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Didn't they intend to fix that place in U6? Either way, it'll be reworked eventually, don't start a huge project with that in mind.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Clark Nova posted:

has anybody tried setting up pumps on top of that big unfinished desert plateau and piping all over the map from there?

e: oh yeah, you'd need dozens of pipes to service everything :doh:

Water is easy to get almost everywhere, so piping it across the map is silly.

Also pumps really use a pretty negligible amount of electricity compared to most things you're doing with large quantities of water. Even the water tower exploit isn't really that useful, it's more of a fun gimmick.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Didn't they intend to fix that place in U6? Either way, it'll be reworked eventually, don't start a huge project with that in mind.

They did, there's pretty landscape up there now. But no resources afaik.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Need a calculator that lets me tell it I have 2 pure nodes, but am only at tier 2 miners.
So it'll tell me how many foundries/refineries I'll need and ores/minute I'll get.
I dont see a way in either satisfactorytools or satisfactory-calculator to do this.
Are there any other production planners out there?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Personally I still use satisfactory-calculator and just do that particular optimization myself. get my production line set up with whatever set of alternate recipes I wanna use, put in 20 or 30 as my output for Modular Frames or whatever, the starting number doesn't matter. take your starting output, divide it by however much iron ore that's using, and then multiply by 480, or whatever you might be overclocking your miners to.

So example: Modular frames, using smelters, stitched iron plate, and iron wire, gets you 10 modular frames using 190.56 iron ore. (10/190.56)*480 = 25.18 frames per minute. Throw in refineries and the pure iron recipe and that uses 102.61 iron ore to make 10 mod frames, which scales up to 46.78 frames/min at 480 ore/min.

It sounds tedious but compared to the process of actually building out the drat thing, it's such a cakewalk you may as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OgNar posted:

Need a calculator that lets me tell it I have 2 pure nodes, but am only at tier 2 miners.
So it'll tell me how many foundries/refineries I'll need and ores/minute I'll get.
I dont see a way in either satisfactorytools or satisfactory-calculator to do this.
Are there any other production planners out there?

Using Satisfactorytools:

first switch to "Items, Input" on the left side, and adjust the limit of raw resources as appropriate (2 pure nodes w/ t2 miners = 480 ore/min)

then go back to production and select the stuff you want to produce, and use the dropdown that says "items/min" to switch to "maximize" to see the max of stuff you can make using those 2 nodes. play with alt recipes as appropriate.

(note that every online calculator defaults to using the recipes that give the most output per input, which in some cases means building way more machines. If you want to built less stuff and will accept less output, you may need to force an alt by unselecting the standard recipe.)

edit: but also, in the long term, think more about how much you need rather than building a big production line to use up X raw resources. I can tell you from experience that it kinda sucks to build a big factory producing a bunch of something and later find that you don't really need that much of it.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 13, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Thanks, i was really trying to maximize my output.
Was attempting to startup a super/computer setup and maybe heavy modulars and realized I just didnt have enough input and started to just water refine everything first and work from there.
Sadly my brain is corroding and was trying to bypass any of my own math.

Yesterday I spent 30m trying to figure out why my train wouldnt pickup at my coal station finally to realize my station was backwards. :D

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It was only today I learned that the wall supports for both pipes and hypertubes can be hung from a ceiling :negative:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Now if they'd only let us put stackable conveyor poles on the ceiling.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Now if they'd only let us put stackable conveyor poles on the ceiling.

Yeah this is why I didn't think it would work, because conveyors don't. I end up building 2 meters of wall, then a foundation to build conveyors on, then delete the wall and foundation after to do my best ceiling belt.

Now as to what I've been doing for the past 12 hours:

Diluted fuel > turbo fuel generators.

Power before:

After:

And this is with only half the generators I can use. I just need to build the second half of refineries as well as a second compact coal factory to fuel it.

Honestly its not too crazy to make, its mostly just spacing everything out properly and waiting for building materials to build everything.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I just realized I had the turbofuel blender recipe, which would've needed half as much sulfur and I wouldn't have needed to make a bunch of extra refineries.

I wanna cry

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Leal posted:

I just realized I had the turbofuel blender recipe, which would've needed half as much sulfur and I wouldn't have needed to make a bunch of extra refineries.

I wanna cry

I was going to ask where your blenders were but i was afraid of the answer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m ashamed that after literally hundreds of hours in this game I have still yet to ever make a blender.

And now dyson sphere program is on game pass and I’m playing that one too aaaa

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Is it strange that I have finished the all of the space elevator project stages a couple of times in U5 and U6 without ever building a single nuclear power plant? Diluted/Turbo fuel makes so much power that I just don't see any reason to mess around with uranium. I've never even bothered to make a hazmat suit to allow me to work with the stuff.

Also, the northwest corner of the dune desert has now supplanted the nexus as my favorite place to set up shop.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think it's by design. Nuclear is very complex and requires a lot of everything plus dealing with the waste. It's useful if you're going for a megafactory playthrough, but if you just want to "finish" the game, it's entirely optional.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm glad that they managed to make a way to have clean power with it, though you can go even further if you're willing to deal with (even worse) waste.

Leal posted:

I wanna cry

:rip:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Antillie posted:

Is it strange that I have finished the all of the space elevator project stages a couple of times in U5 and U6 without ever building a single nuclear power plant? Diluted/Turbo fuel makes so much power that I just don't see any reason to mess around with uranium. I've never even bothered to make a hazmat suit to allow me to work with the stuff.

It's one of my goals for the future U7 (maybe next phase? maybe? please?) run. It's so completely pointless and requires such a massive infrastructure layout that it kind of has to be a passion project. I also hope some sort of templated build system and/or a way to turbocharge existing stuff comes in so that there's a way to really make use of that power. Despite the traditional rule of More == Cool I kinda don't want to see alien tech power added as you'd just skip the green stuff entirely to jump to Subspace Anomaly Power Station Mk1 or whatever.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I hope we eventually get Mk2 smelters and constructors. I think being able to save space by using a smaller number of much more power hungry buildings would be an interesting trade off as power is much easier to move around than items. Overclocking does this already but you are very limited in how much of it you can do so it gels with assembler's/manufacturers/resource extractors better than than things that you by necessity need to build tons of like smelters and constructors.

For example overclocking copper sheets is fairly pointless, but overclocking an oil extractor can really make a difference.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

New, faster buildings could also just be huge, so they can't just slot in as easy replacements.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Antillie posted:

I hope we eventually get Mk2 smelters and constructors. I think being able to save space by using a smaller number of much more power hungry buildings would be an interesting trade off as power is much easier to move around than items. Overclocking does this already but you are very limited in how much of it you can do so it gels with assembler's/manufacturers/resource extractors better than than things that you by necessity need to build tons of like smelters and constructors.

For example overclocking copper sheets is fairly pointless, but overclocking an oil extractor can really make a difference.

Seems unlikely based on previous dev logs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qni_FzPcx9g

Though I don't really like the reasoning. I wouldn't mind if they released Mk.2 versions of all the construction buildings with either the same model or some minor cosmetic changes to make them look more high-tech, designing new models from scratch for each building would admittedly be too much work. Having palette-swapped Mk.1/2/3 buildings in Dyson Sphere doesn't feel lazy, it's just a convenient way of cutting down on the number of machines.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Seems unlikely based on previous dev logs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qni_FzPcx9g

Though I don't really like the reasoning. I wouldn't mind if they released Mk.2 versions of all the construction buildings with either the same model or some minor cosmetic changes to make them look more high-tech, designing new models from scratch for each building would admittedly be too much work. Having palette-swapped Mk.1/2/3 buildings in Dyson Sphere doesn't feel lazy, it's just a convenient way of cutting down on the number of machines.

They're not palette swaps. Well not technically. All the Mk. Upgrades have minor effect changes if you look closely enough.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
no they’re arguing they SHOULD just do palette swaps for mk2 stuff not in the game

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
They need to change power shards to be less punishing to use for production machines -- IMO a flat OC % = power % is totally fair considering they are a resource you need to spend time to collect.

And then introduce an end-game way to make power shards without slugs, for the people who aren't as hot on exploration or who want to max out the world and need 100 thousand shards to do it. An alt for shards that uses the particle accelerator and has some high-end inputs wouldn't be crazy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Pure Iron/Copper/etc alt recipes are basically Mk2 smelting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Klyith posted:

They need to change power shards to be less punishing to use for production machines -- IMO a flat OC % = power % is totally fair considering they are a resource you need to spend time to collect.

And then introduce an end-game way to make power shards without slugs, for the people who aren't as hot on exploration or who want to max out the world and need 100 thousand shards to do it. An alt for shards that uses the particle accelerator and has some high-end inputs wouldn't be crazy.

You could always pen a couple dozen lizard doggos. They can occasionally return slugs as random "found" items, making shards technically a renewable resource. :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You could always pen a couple dozen lizard doggos. They can occasionally return slugs as random "found" items, making shards technically a renewable resource. :v:

Yeah I've done that, but the production rate is kinda low unless you have a big pack of doggos, or remember to pet them every 15 minutes.

And there's a bad side effect: even a modest number of doggos penned up in your base will create performance issues when you're near-ish to them. I'm pretty sure what's going on is that they are trying to pathfind a way to get to you. And you can't cheat the pathfinding calculations in this game, since dynamic terrain. Gotta grind it the hard way.

I noticed this in particular when I had just like 6 or 7 doggos penned up in my home base in my previous save. When I was flying in via hypercannon there was always a massive chug in framerate when I got to a certain distance, due to all of them trying to pathfind at the same time. It made aiming for the landing platform very exciting!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ice Fist posted:

They're not palette swaps. Well not technically. All the Mk. Upgrades have minor effect changes if you look closely enough.

Guess I never noticed.

Also some minor changes to the tops of the machines but the rest looks identical. Would be a good choice for Satisfactory as well, building completely new models is a lot to ask but tweaking some minor details should be manageable enough. Either that or Kylith's idea of letting people craft power shards with an endgame recipe, automating them and then overclocking everything to 250% would go a long way towards maintaining a playable FPS when it's time to work on megafactories which would otherwise need hundreds/thousands of machines.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man I hit the wall in Dyson Sphere pretty hard, it gets really hard to figure stuff out based on the in game info and had to look for info online.

It feels a bit behind Satisfactory on overall progress to a 1.0 but still really neat. Kind of makes me wish for a zoomed out 3rd person mode in Satisfactory too :haw:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

priznat posted:

Man I hit the wall in Dyson Sphere pretty hard, it gets really hard to figure stuff out based on the in game info and had to look for info online.

It feels a bit behind Satisfactory on overall progress to a 1.0 but still really neat. Kind of makes me wish for a zoomed out 3rd person mode in Satisfactory too :haw:

DSP is nowhere near as difficult as other factory games, it's really addictive though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

DSP is nowhere near as difficult as other factory games, it's really addictive though.

I think the thing I don’t like is it is really not intuitive how much of a load things take or deliver and how that works with the belts, at least compared to satisfactory. No idea how to match up the the sinks to the sources well and there is no real dedicated sinks so overflows just back stuff up for me. I’m probably playing it wrong somehow but there isn’t enough information in game to sort it out, I find.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

priznat posted:

Dyson Sphere is great but I don't think it explains its progression as well as Satisfactory. Part of that is the iffy Chinese-English translation but it could do with some more basic hints like "you need to fly to another planet in your solar system to get titanium" to help people through the usual spots they get stuck. If you can get to the stage where you have drone logistics towers it's all relatively straightforward past that and the blueprint system lets you scale up your operations rapidly.

Only automation game I've bounced off repeatedly is Astroneer. Tried it a few times but the combination of all the UI stuff looking like a Fisher-Price toy and having to drop oxygen tethers every five feet is just tedious. There's probably a good game in there somewhere if you can tolerate it past the early sections.

e:

priznat posted:

I think the thing I don’t like is it is really not intuitive how much of a load things take or deliver and how that works with the belts, at least compared to satisfactory. No idea how to match up the the sinks to the sources well and there is no real dedicated sinks so overflows just back stuff up for me. I’m probably playing it wrong somehow but there isn’t enough information in game to sort it out, I find.

In Satisfactory I plan out every factory, in Dyson Sphere I don't plan much of anything. Since the mining rates are going to change between each patch of minerals it's better to just make more of things as you locate deficiencies in your production lines. The logistics drones will pull resources from whichever tower they can find them so it's not necessary to be as deliberate with your designs.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 19, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

priznat posted:

I play it with infinite resources and expand a little but I keep it pretty local and it's nice. Just kick back and get them white cubes in no time.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

priznat posted:

belts backing up is fine, except for with hydrogen and some oil products, most of which can be burned in generators. it's fine in satisfactory too, you just don't get tickets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It can be burned in generators but that power actually has to be used. If you have more power capacity than consumption, the hydrogen isn't burned, and so it can back up, and then you get a headache again.