Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Normally I'd buy only latest hardware, but 329€ vs 599€.. over 80% more :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm glad it got a redesign, but some of the design choices seem baffling and the price increase is offputting.
Sadly the iPad 9 got a 10% price increase in my country as well. I should have bought it a few months ago when you could stack triple discounts.

I'm really glad I got the M1 Pro now.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Are there any recommended keyboards for the 11 pro that also function as a cover and have a trackpad? I like the design of the smart folio but it's not cheap and doesn't have a mouse trackpad like the magic keyboard, but I prefer the surface-style thing where the keyboard is very portable and also functions as a screen protector of sorts.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Original_Z posted:

Are there any recommended keyboards for the 11 pro that also function as a cover and have a trackpad? I like the design of the smart folio but it's not cheap and doesn't have a mouse trackpad like the magic keyboard, but I prefer the surface-style thing where the keyboard is very portable and also functions as a screen protector of sorts.

I can’t recommend the Logitech Combo Touch enough. The keyboard and trackpad are a tick worse than the Magic Keyboard but you get protection and a removable keyboard you can store behind the iPad at the expense of an admittedly clumsy but sturdy kickstand when you wanna type.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lol my choice of getting a heavily discounted ipad 9 a bit ago has been vindicated. The choice of using a dongle on the ipad10 rather than going pencil2 is idiotic, esp since the ipad9 is still in production if the point was expending pencil1 stocks.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 19, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you browse WWW and watch YouTube in ipad btw? Have to run a proxy server in a separate server? Install custom store/apps with PC?

In Android I can just install newpipe and firefox+ublock origin. How to achieve a similar result in iPad? Thanks.

Also seems that custom apps must be signed and you have to pay $20/year for a signing service so you can use custom apps in iPad?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 19, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

How do you browse WWW and watch YouTube in ipad btw? Have to run a proxy server in a separate server? Install custom store/apps with PC?

In Android I can just install newpipe and firefox+ublock origin. How to achieve a similar result in iPad? Thanks.

Also seems that custom apps must be signed and you have to pay $20/year for a signing service so you can use custom apps in iPad?

you should cancel your order and just save us all from the posting

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Ihmemies posted:

Use Safari and the YouTube app.

quote:

Safari, with an ad blocker extension.

quote:

No idea what a custom app is or why you’d want one. If it’s not in the App Store, see if there’s a web app or something? Idk

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 19, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buy an android tablet if you want that nerd stuff

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh wait they all suck lmao

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

oh wait they all suck lmao

Yes, that is the problem. I guess I can run pihole in a docker container and use VPN outside home to connect to pihole.

If it doesn't clear ads from YouTube, it is possible to sideload IPA's with custom YouTube apps. A bit like android APK's.

I'll keep you guys posted! :v:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
If you don't want ads, a pihole to filter that stuff out before it even gets to your iPad is your best best. Although iirc, some apps (like one that make you watch ads to use the app for free) might freak out.

But yes as the other poster said, it's an apple device. Doing anything outside of the closed system is gonna feel like more trouble than its worth. People seem to like those new galaxy tablets if you're looking for something you can actually monkey around with (or that upcoming pixel tablet).

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Yes, that is the problem. I guess I can run pihole in a docker container and use VPN outside home to connect to pihole.

If it doesn't clear ads from YouTube, it is possible to sideload IPA's with custom YouTube apps. A bit like android APK's.

I'll keep you guys posted! :v:

You can use vinegar to remove youtube ads. You need to use the built-in web browser (Safari) though, not the app. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks!

Next question is how to setup this. My android finds like 20+ wifi networks. Ipad only one while next to my phone! It's a wrong one and manually adding doesn't seem to work.

Edit: after 25 mins it found another wifi I could connect. This is by worst the absolutely shittiest wifi implementation I've ever seen. How can a wifi only device have so abysmally crappy wifi? Or is this just broken?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 19, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks!

Next question is how to setup this. My android finds like 20+ wifi networks. Ipad only one while next to my phone! It's a wrong one and manually adding doesn't seem to work.

Edit: after 25 mins it found another wifi I could connect. This is by worst the absolutely shittiest wifi implementation I've ever seen. How can a wifi only device have so abysmally crappy wifi? Or is this just broken?

Are you just connecting to a random wifi access point around you?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks!

That doesn't sound right. I've never had that problem with wifi on the ipad. My experience of the implementation has always been pretty much identical (bar a few design/aethstic changes) compared to my android stuff.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

tuyop posted:

Are you just connecting to a random wifi access point around you?

No. University has many campuses where you can log in with your university un/pw, basically anywhere in the campus area. But the wifi with ipad just refuses to see the networks.

At home wifi seems to work since I have a wifi AP in every ceiling in every room. But that's not a common situation and not something realistic outside my home.

The wifi works but it's hilariously bad at actually detecting any wifi networks next to the ipad. Maybe this poo poo is just broken straight from the box. I've never ran into a situation like this with any other device anywhere...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

No. University has many campuses where you can log in with your university un/pw, basically anywhere in the campus area. But the wifi with ipad just refuses to see the networks.

At home wifi seems to work since I have a wifi AP in every ceiling in every room. But that's not a common situation and not something realistic outside my home.

The wifi works but it's hilariously bad at actually detecting any wifi networks next to the ipad. Maybe this poo poo is just broken straight from the box. I've never ran into a situation like this with any other device anywhere...

Yeah I think in my history with Apple mobile devices I had one with networking problems kind of like what you’re describing. Just straight out of the box with lovely bluetooth reception and I think it couldn’t connect to 5Ghz signals, but they were pretty new then iirc. It happens, I’d just swap it out at the Apple store, you’re not having a typical experience.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

tuyop posted:

Yeah I think in my history with Apple mobile devices I had one with networking problems kind of like what you’re describing. Just straight out of the box with lovely bluetooth reception and I think it couldn’t connect to 5Ghz signals, but they were pretty new then iirc. It happens, I’d just swap it out at the Apple store, you’re not having a typical experience.

Thanks. I'll try it again tomorrow when I'm at the campus and if the wifi reception is still as bad as today, I'll go to the shop and explain the problem. It's just super weird that wifi works fine with other devices but ipad struggles to find any networks around it at all.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks. I'll try it again tomorrow when I'm at the campus and if the wifi reception is still as bad as today, I'll go to the shop and explain the problem. It's just super weird that wifi works fine with other devices but ipad struggles to find any networks around it at all.

Probably just a bad one. These things usually have a tiny coax connector to attach the antenna, if that was never connected right or popped off, the WiFi range would be crap.

You could try a reset network settings just in case it’s some kind of odd software issue, but more than likely swapping out the iPad is the fix.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I wish I could get that new folio keyboard for my iPad Pro. It's cheaper and by the look of things less bulky than the other one. This launch... is dumb!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ihmemies posted:

Pretty easy:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

actually you just buy yt premium and then the video goes into PIP mode when you switch apps and you can even drag the video offscreen to hide it entirely if u want

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You don't need premium for PIP if it's a non-music video (at least on iPhone, I assumed it's the same for iPad).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Dave posted:

You don't need premium for PIP if it's a non-music video (at least on iPhone, I assumed it's the same for iPad).

ah that's cool. it used to be only for premium. you may have to turn it on in the YT settings

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Wanted to give an update for my case situation. I went with the Amazon renewed Magic Keyboard case for my iPad Air (I decided to keep it, very comfy device). It arrived today and it's really slick! Condition is excellent, I paid $170 for it and so far no regrets. It's not to bad on the lap either for me so all in all I'm pretty happy with my splurges lately.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

The Grumbles posted:

I wish I could get that new folio keyboard for my iPad Pro. It's cheaper and by the look of things less bulky than the other one. This launch... is dumb!

Between the relocated smart connector and the landscape camera on the new base iPad, it makes me think a major redesign is coming to the Pro/Air lines soonish? The current Pro design debuted 4 years ago after all. Seems odd to have two different accessory ecosystems for the iPad line.

That said, if they move the Face ID module to landscape in the Pros then I have no idea where the pencil charging module would relocate to.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The M2 runs a bit hotter than the M1 right? Would be interested to see if the performance increase is noticeable

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

If I remember right, this is only in the US and the rest of the world doesn’t get free PIP.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Been giving stage manager a go on the newly released RC - and it’s definitely better. It still hates if you’re swapping orientation, but in many ways it no longer feels like you’re fighting against the OS. For example, you can move windows around without them snapping to a predefined orientation - it’s much easier to organise them however you like.
Of course a lot of where it fell apart before was in the external monitor stuff, which was both the main draw of the feature and the thing they removed before the RC came out. So we’ll see what happens with that. It’s getting there though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What’s the options for zooming content on the iPad. The three finger tap feels like it’s fighting me on my old 10.5 pro. I’m watching coding videos on YouTube and too many people just share their entire ide and 70% of the screen is poo poo that’s not the code they’re showing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I swear apple releasing the new base iPad is breaking my brain. Here’s my issue:

I have a 2013 MBPr which served its purpose for college and light PC gaming with dual booting. Today its purpose is Discord, Safari and YouTube. I want another device which does the same.

For a while I thought it would be best to wait until the M2 MacBook Air released with the updated design. As beautiful as a device it was when I tried it out in the store, it seemed like extreme overkill for what I was gonna task it with, especially at the starting price. The idea here was to wait to get a refurb

The competitor to this was the iPad Air, which felt a bit overpriced especially when I wasn’t going to consider the 64gb tier. And because I want it with a magic keyboard (without trackpad), the price got ever close to the MacBook Air which could do a lot more, should it come to it.

But now that the modernized iPad exists without the disgusting bezels, maybe I can get that one at 256GB one for $599 and then a Smart Keyboard without the trackpad for $150 or something?

Will that last me as long as my current MacBook did…or so I have to get an iPad Pro for that level of longevity? I’d rather just do one big purchase again and not think about it for a long time. That brings up the question if it’s better to buy more today to spend less tomorrow, or buy only as much as I need today and use that saved money to get another device when it comes time.

To quote my friend who has been on this ride with me for far too long

“just fuckin buy one already lol. something, anything”

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

buglord posted:

I swear apple releasing the new base iPad is breaking my brain. Here’s my issue:

I have a 2013 MBPr which served its purpose for college and light PC gaming with dual booting. Today its purpose is Discord, Safari and YouTube. I want another device which does the same.

For a while I thought it would be best to wait until the M2 MacBook Air released with the updated design. As beautiful as a device it was when I tried it out in the store, it seemed like extreme overkill for what I was gonna task it with, especially at the starting price. The idea here was to wait to get a refurb

The competitor to this was the iPad Air, which felt a bit overpriced especially when I wasn’t going to consider the 64gb tier. And because I want it with a magic keyboard (without trackpad), the price got ever close to the MacBook Air which could do a lot more, should it come to it.

But now that the modernized iPad exists without the disgusting bezels, maybe I can get that one at 256GB one for $599 and then a Smart Keyboard without the trackpad for $150 or something?

Will that last me as long as my current MacBook did…or so I have to get an iPad Pro for that level of longevity? I’d rather just do one big purchase again and not think about it for a long time. That brings up the question if it’s better to buy more today to spend less tomorrow, or buy only as much as I need today and use that saved money to get another device when it comes time.

To quote my friend who has been on this ride with me for far too long

“just fuckin buy one already lol. something, anything”

It’s really hard to guess how long stuff lasts. I got an iPad 2 in 2011 and that absolutely did not last 9 years. But some other tech did last the test of time - the pc I built in 2011 made it to 2020 okay. I guess my point is you can’t predict how or when your thing is going to be obsolete - especially with how updates can affect usability. If you need it now and can afford it, then just go for it.

To hazard a guess, the M1 chips in the pros/airs will have more longevity. Even last gens M1s still have crazy headroom performance wise for years to come. 64 Gig might be fine if all you’re doing is streaming.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 that I could have kept using for your exact use case without issue but I’m a gadget nerd. My kid now uses it for streaming and light gaming and while I notice a difference in screen and sound quality, nothing about the 2017 is really showing its age.

For “second screen” type stuff I think pretty much any iPad you buy today will cover your needs up until apple stops supporting the hardware.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I have an old Air 2 that still fits that bill with no issue. You're way over thinking this IMO.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have an air 2020 and it's more than strong enough

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

I have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 that I could have kept using for your exact use case without issue but I’m a gadget nerd. My kid now uses it for streaming and light gaming and while I notice a difference in screen and sound quality, nothing about the 2017 is really showing its age.

For “second screen” type stuff I think pretty much any iPad you buy today will cover your needs up until apple stops supporting the hardware.

I have this one and use it as my main but have one other newer-but-not-as-nice base models. 2017 10.5 pro is a trooper. the laminate screen is really drat nice. i like not seeing my own reflection.

the ipad product line is getting a bit messy though

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

buglord posted:

Discord, Safari and YouTube.

I wasn’t going to consider the 64gb tier.
Does “YouTube” actually mean “download shows” or not because your suggested usage actually uses peanuts in terms of storage so why pay to upgrade? Seems like that’s helping psyche yourself out by crawling up the upgrade ladder but maybe you don’t need to if you’re really just streaming.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

buglord posted:

64gb iPad 9 or a refurb M1 iPad Air, or Pro (the latter two only if you plan to try getting ten years out of them).

This is literally the same use case as my 2012 Mac Mini which has received so many patched exploit nerfs to it's performance that it can't stream 1080p without stuttering anymore.

I bought the 256 9th gen because i want my photos, videos, and a bunch of iTunes movies on it for offline.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i would jst buy the cheapest new ipad you can find

(but probs not a 64gb personally)